Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 - We Think Blizz Wanted to Announce World of Diablo. Here's Why - MMORPG.com

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    This is really wishful thinking, but blizzard isn't making another MMO any time soon period. That ship has sailed, at least for now. Just stop and think for a minute. They basically scrapped a MMO they had been working on for years and turned it into Overwatch. They did this because it was a more lucrative form of game for the company. Blizzard is not the Blizzard it was. Hasn't been for many years now, had family that worked there when WOW was being made. Hell they have scrapped many projects over the years, just look back at the starcraft games that were started and never finished. I would love to see them do another MMO but as long as WOW is still king of the ring they will stick with it, there is still not a single MMO out today that comes close to the numbers they still have playing their game. Just wouldn't make any business sense to make another MMO unless something major happens to WOW and they lose the rest of their playerbase. People seem to forget gaming is a business first for companies.
    Phloom
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    World of Diablocraft
    BruceYee

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Torval said:
    I've been thinking about this for a while because the level of marketing and hype for BfA isn't there, in addition to the timing. Like Suzie said, no juicy blurbs about test events and promos, just bare bones announcements.

There have been a ton of cross game ties in WoW over the last couple of years with the shift in content style (especially a seasonal focus) and the blatant addition of Diablo tropes. The last class added is the Demon Hunter. It can't get any more straight forward than that.

They could be trying to make lore ties so that the giant WoW lens gets focused on the new MMO.

While I do think they're going for an MMO style game I don't think it's going to be old school. It will have enough traditional design to make it less scary, but it won't be classic WoW. They're not going to duplicate what they have. I think it will be more like the lobby based or open zone based team style like the Guild Wars and Destiny 2 examples. Team sizes are more likely to be 4 for typical groups and 8 for raids with an emphasis on action.

Honestly, this is one of those cases that I really hope I'm wrong. Only if it's Diablo World. That's the only case I'd be willing to be wrong for. Oh! That, and my wife. I'm never right at home. That's why I'm still married after being together for like 20 years (or so :P )
    SBFord[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonMabushii

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    CrazKanuk said:
    Torval said:
    I've been thinking about this for a while because the level of marketing and hype for BfA isn't there, in addition to the timing. Like Suzie said, no juicy blurbs about test events and promos, just bare bones announcements.

There have been a ton of cross game ties in WoW over the last couple of years with the shift in content style (especially a seasonal focus) and the blatant addition of Diablo tropes. The last class added is the Demon Hunter. It can't get any more straight forward than that.

They could be trying to make lore ties so that the giant WoW lens gets focused on the new MMO.

While I do think they're going for an MMO style game I don't think it's going to be old school. It will have enough traditional design to make it less scary, but it won't be classic WoW. They're not going to duplicate what they have. I think it will be more like the lobby based or open zone based team style like the Guild Wars and Destiny 2 examples. Team sizes are more likely to be 4 for typical groups and 8 for raids with an emphasis on action.

Honestly, this is one of those cases that I really hope I'm wrong. Only if it's Diablo World. That's the only case I'd be willing to be wrong for. Oh! That, and my wife. I'm never right at home. That's why I'm still married after being together for like 20 years (or so :P )
    Well mate I never married and I am always right at home but when there's nobody around to prove them you're right it's not fun anymore :|
    SBFord[Deleted User]CrazKanukMrMelGibson[Deleted User]MabushiiLokeroPhloom
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    "What do you think?"

I think that WoW fell below some profit target (not a case of not being profitable) promptig the team to be asked by senior management: "What are you going to do?". Team couldn't think of an xpac narrative to pin a "this is the one you really, really have to buy" (so at best same again) and so they decided to roll the dice on Vanilla.

And that people who might have have been working on the expansion have been assigned to Vanilla - no additional headcount having been assigned.

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    World of hearthstone..imagine a new mmo in a land that allows for all different Blizzard games to somehow be playable///i can dream too =P
    MensurPhloom
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2017
    I was with you until you suggested they could be gearing up to put WoW in maintenance mode. Warcraft is the much bigger/more popular IP, they will never sideline it like that.
    RovnPhloom
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    AreWeLive said:
    World of hearthstone..imagine a new mmo in a land that allows for all different Blizzard games to somehow be playable///i can dream too =P
    That would be World of Heroes of the Storm mate, not Hearthstone :|
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

If it was World of Diablo made by Blizz North, I would be excited.

World of Diablo made by current Blizzard would be great for the masses I am sure, but I am doubtful I would enjoy it much.

Yep. blizzard south doesn't do dark and gritty well at all. They even screwed the pooch on ambience and music for D3. Those were WOWesque design aesthetics.

D3 was the least polished Blizzard game in a VERY long time. Endgame was nonexistant, the RMAH was a cash grab and the lead, Chris Wilson, didn't like the parts of D2 that made the fans so rabid. It was just odd all around.

Any continuation of the Diablo universe needs to bring in outside art and game directors that are given autonomy. they need to be people that love the feel and sound of D1 and D2.
  • ominatorominator Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I don't comment often, but I will make an exception for this story.

If anything, it will be a mobile game. There are way more people with phones than people with a pc and all other gaming devices combined.

If they can repeat the WoW success on a mobile platform, they will make billions.
    SBFord[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    Torval said:

Always seemed to me, judging from the end product, that Overwatch was meant to be a Destiny-style lobby shooter before it got reduced and refined into a competitive FPS.

I would be disappointed if Blizzard announced a new project in the same vein as Destiny.  Remember that Anthem is on the horizon; the last thing I'm interested in is another flooding of titles into a single FOTM genre.

Would rather them not tie themselves to such genre conventions if they're looking to evolve the Diablo series.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

I hope ill be alive and be still be able to play games when diablo online becomes a reality....

IKR it's highly likely that I'll be dead before they announce either the Diablo III world or the StarCraft worlds to be mmo's even though we've only been asking for that for years now.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Torval said:

I was with you until you suggested they could be gearing up to put WoW in maintenance mode. Warcraft is the much bigger/more popular IP, they will never sideline it like that.

After WoW, but that's not even true anymore. That honor probably falls to Overwatch now. Prior to WoW it was StarCraft, Diablo, and Warcraft in that order.

Back in the day people wanted StarCraft Ghost, but got nothing for a really long time when that fizzled away (just like Titan), and then WoW. People ate that up because Warcraft was beloved and it was the only offer. In retrospect fantasy has a longer shelf life than scifi so it was a smart choice, not what fans wanted at the time, but the better path. I doubt we'd still be playing SCG.

WoW makes sense for maintenance mode because the engine is old and the IP is getting tired. I don't think they're going to mothball it, but updates will be more conservative and seasonal with fewer new systems and features. They can keep adding seasonal content narrative in that sort of framework.

You're right about Overwatch, it's gaming candy right now. It's one of those games that appeals to extreme casual gamers too. You know the type, the ones that used to only play sports games and CoD. Are they seeing the same kind of crazy profit numbers for Overwatch though? I've never looked into it myself.

Warcraft is still bigger than Diablo though and I'm not sure they could pull off the MMO miracle again and turn people onto Diablo instead of it. They would be running the risk of splitting the player base and possibly lessening both IPs. Blizzard are their own worst enemy. Diablo and WoW would go head to head. Warcraft (RTS) and Starcraft would go head to head. Overwatch seemed to work well because it opened up a new demographic and Blizzard fans in general jumped on board to check it out too, in a casual way. It's a game that didn't interfere with their other products.

Personally, I think they will do something with Diablo that stops it from competing with, or replacing, WoW. It's their best option.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Naw, Diablo survival game is what I'm betting on, they don't have one and the market is ready for a polished one.

SovrathConstantineMerusheerobyaMrMelGibsonSirAgravaineMabushii

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Kyleran said:
    Naw, Diablo survival game is what I'm betting on, they don't have one and the market is ready for a polished one.

Totally sign me up. Totally.
    heerobyaConstantineMerusMabushiilahnmir
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    I'd like to believe. Sanctuary is an evocative setting, and I miss Blizzard really making games... and anyone in the West making MMOs, for that matter. Though, it could also so easily destroy the setting to throw in a horde of superheroes.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    I was shocked to see this article written by one of the MMORPG.com staff, but I am glad it was.  

I agree with most of what you said, specifically the fact that theres been silence and non-development on Diablo 3, aside from Old-Gods there aren't many 'big baddies' left unless Blizzard decides to milk the Old-Gods for 2 or 3 expansions, the WoW engine is dated... 

Diablo is pretty rich in lore.  There are enough characters to get started, enough baddies with the minor and major lords of hell to flesh out some raids.  There are enough baddies from the games to flesh out dungeon runs.  And there aren't many MMORPGs that I can think of, except The Secret World, where the game is darker than a fantasy/fiction with elves and dwarves (although I can just see it now, blizzard pushing these same-old races into a Diablo MMORPG).

I would go batshit crazy if we got a full blown MMORPG, either theme park like WoW, Sandboxy, or something like Guild Wars 1.  Would absolutely love it.  Pre-order day 1, take my money.

And Blizz would make a huge chunk of cash on a Diablo MMORPG.  However, I wonder where they are in relation to a 'break even' with regard to WoW in terms of operating expenses for continued development, support, and maintanance vs incoming sales and sub money.  Perhaps a new direction is needed for the next decade.
    Kyleran said:

Oh god, please no..... I think we've had enough games where managing your bowel movements is a thing to last a lifetime. Where did all those Americans go who were just interested in killing shit? 
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonKyleranConstantineMerusGorwe

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Torval said:

Always seemed to me, judging from the end product, that Overwatch was meant to be a Destiny-style lobby shooter before it got reduced and refined into a competitive FPS.

I would be disappointed if Blizzard announced a new project in the same vein as Destiny.  Remember that Anthem is on the horizon; the last thing I'm interested in is another flooding of titles into a single FOTM genre.

Would rather them not tie themselves to such genre conventions if they're looking to evolve the Diablo series.

To be fair, Overwatch was Titan and Titan was supposedly something similar to Destiny. So it isn't inconceivable that they could go back in that direction, especially now that they have actually developed deep stories for a lobby shooter which are, effectively, meaningless without a world where they matter. 

That being said, would they make an Overwatch Destiny clone to compete with Destiny? Probably not. 
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Torval said:

World of Diablo made by current Blizzard would be great for the masses I am sure, but I am doubtful I would enjoy it much.

Yep. blizzard south doesn't do dark and gritty well at all. They even screwed the pooch on ambience and music for D3. Those were WOWesque design aesthetics.

D3 was the least polished Blizzard game in a VERY long time. Endgame was nonexistant, the RMAH was a cash grab and the lead, Chris Wilson, didn't like the parts of D2 that made the fans so rabid. It was just odd all around.

Any continuation of the Diablo universe needs to bring in outside art and game directors that are given autonomy. they need to be people that love the feel and sound of D1 and D2.

Would that be the most profitable option though?

Blizzard is a typical corporation for which profit maximization is goal number 1.

I do not think they will ever make another game like the original World of Warcraft or Diablo I & II. 

I would be more hyped for a remastered D2 LoD than for World of Diablo.

Blizzard plays the long game though. They look for long term profits not the quick buck. They've given StarCraft away for free for quite a while, along with some older games. It wasn't until they did the remaster that they started charging again and that's just $15.

I bet they'll do a D2 remaster as part of the promo hype if they go down this road. I think they'll do one anyway.

These days though? Activision Blizzard are an independent company these days rather than a part of a bigger company; they report directly to investors and have corporate debts (for the buyout and subseqyently for King). Maybe why the recent expansions have had launch windows allocated many months in advance rather than the "it will launch when it launches" mentality.

And King has yet to show signs of delivering.

[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonKyleranMurmaider
    Torval said:

Would that be the most profitable option though?

Blizzard is a typical corporation for which profit maximization is goal number 1.

I do not think they will ever make another game like the original World of Warcraft or Diablo I & II. 

I would be more hyped for a remastered D2 LoD than for World of Diablo.
    Blizzard plays the long game though. They look for long term profits not the quick buck. They've given StarCraft away for free for quite a while, along with some older games. It wasn't until they did the remaster that they started charging again and that's just $15.

I bet they'll do a D2 remaster as part of the promo hype if they go down this road. I think they'll do one anyway.
    I think they are doing a Diablo 2 remaster. I think it was announced on this site.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465

Kyleran said:

Diablo is about the loot and progression of loot, also story, just doesn't work in survival/rogue-like setting.

I'd be super happy for Diablo 4 personally, but as an MMO? Nah.

Diablo is built to the core as a co-op dungeon crawler. Built to the core as an action RPG.

Yet, Blizzard has a habit of picking a genre that is in need of a "defining" product and executing it well.

Survival/rogue-like/battle royal is all the current hotness... "session" gameplay w/ cosmetics vs. continual progression... also, "game as a service" is becoming more of a rage, funny enough. Continual content/improvement rather than big patch/expansion cycles...

I could see that model working with a Diablo game that grew over time. Heavy console integration.

Starcraft is done because the story is over and RTS is pretty much dead as a genre.

Warcraft is done/ending because the traditional MMO is a dying/dead genre.

They've got a shooter, they've got a MOBA...

Online/persistent ARPG like Destiny/Anthem/Division is the only other logical choice, but that has always kind of been how Diablo has worked right? Especially Diablo 3.

I don't know...

Part of me hopes they do a Diablo MMO/ARPG that is made for console and PC crossplay. Part of me is fearful I'd lose my job & marriage to such a game!
    MrMelGibson
    edited December 2017
    heerobya said:

Kyleran said:

Diablo is about the loot and progression of loot, also story, just doesn't work in survival/rogue-like setting.

Yeah but remember, World of Warcraft was "about" RTS game play, building your bases, upgrading buildings, creating units."

And then the MMORPG

Ultimately Diablo is about its setting. And that setting can fit into a number of places.
    [Deleted User]GaladournSBFordMrMelGibsonAvarixConstantineMerusTheDarkrayneheerobya

• sycogenesissycogenesis Member UncommonPosts: 86
    WoW going into maintence mode i think not it's basically a press for printing money the game looks old but so does othe rgames that are still out there n not in maintence mode ,
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    edited December 2017
    > Perhaps it will be something more akin to Guild Wars 1 with social lobbies for players to meet one another in before heading into more instanced content. Perhaps it could manifest itself in something similar to Destiny 2.

Oh god, please NO, this isn't what an MMO if it is instance based

Either world dividided in multiple maps open to everyone, or open world, everything else will just be a Diablo 3 bis, wich is a big joke

If they kept the original diablo 3 team, then we can be 100% sure that World of Diablo will be a flop and delayed by at least 5-6 years
    FrodoFragins