Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Inadvertent Holiday Party Pic May Have Revealed Anthem VR Mode* - Anthem - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageInadvertent Holiday Party Pic May Have Revealed Anthem VR Mode* - Anthem - MMORPG.com

Anthem News - BioWare's Jay Watamaniuk may have inadvertently let the cat out of the bag by posting a company holiday party pic that shows "Anthem VR" in the corner. Is it possible that EA and BioWare are planning a virtual reality mode for the upcoming Destiny-like game? *Consider this the obligatory "this is a rumor" warning.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited December 2017
    I dunno....the more I consider Anthem, the less interested I am in it. Add in the controversy with EA and SWBF2 and the killing of the Mass Effect series for the time being and now the possibility of VR for Anthem? Color me totally disinterested. I refuse to give another dime to EA for at least the foreseeable future.
    AlbatroesNibsShodanasPhixion13PottedPlant22AlomarXophThupliDakeruTacticalZombehand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017

SBFord said:

I dunno....the more I consider Anthem, the less interested I am in it. Add in the controversy with EA and SWBF2 and the killing of the Mass Effect series for the time being and now the possibility of VR for Anthem? Color me totally disinterested. I refuse to give another dime to EA for at least the foreseeable future.

"Games as a service." I mean, ever since they said that, everyone knows what they are going to do with every game now. Couple that with them shutting down Viscersal with their excuse being that people are less interested in single player story-driven titles these days and it just kills most of the hope of a lot of people finding a 'good' title from EA anymore. I get more pissed off the more I type about this because these are the guys who gave us Mass Effect as you stated, as well as Dragon Age (I'll defend Dragon Age 2 forever!) and even Kingdom of Amaluar which I really loved. Hopefully Bioware and others can some how buy their way from under EA some day like the devs behind the Hitman series did from SE, if they dont agree with how things are being run that is.
    SBFordTacticalZombeh
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Sad that my feelings for good dev's get ruined because of bad publishers
    AlbatroesAlomarThupli
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

SBFord said:

While as a person i always have a positive predisposition towards things in Anthem's case i agree with you. Unless Bioware manages to totally surprise us.
    DMKano said:
    VR is a complete dud.

If they want to minimize sales even more - go VR
    I would agree with you, VR is too unrealistic. For a 'decent' experience, it depends on the title but more so what you play it on and that tends to be on the PC side. Taking that into account, its even more unrealistic that a person would have a solid enough rig to do VR decently. I mean even 4k has been around for a decade+(?) and still isn't popular.
  • MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123

Albatroes said:

DMKano said:

VR is a complete dud.

I would agree with you, VR is too unrealistic. For a 'decent' experience, it depends on the title but more so what you play it on and that tends to be on the PC side. Taking that into account, its even more unrealistic that a person would have a solid enough rig to do VR decently. I mean even 4k has been around for a decade+(?) and still isn't popular.

4k is unpopular because okf the pricing it had.
    As the sale prices lower, it will become the new norm....Just like Blu-Ray.

As for VR, I agree. It just isn't at the level to make it a must have.

I would find it odd playing a VR game that requires running and running, yet the controls have you standing still and using a controller to move.
    It breaks the immersion.

Make a platform that can contain the player, but allow them to move.
    Phry
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177

Yeah, agreed. I'm done with anything EA has its fingers in.
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Anthem VR: Experience the new levels of immersion of opening loot boxes in full 3d, 360 degree environment.
    RoinAlomarJemAs666
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Dudes that was a hell of a party! I got so freaking drunk on tequila shots! I danced with a girl, got slapped, fired for sexual harassment and rehired on the spot after proposing new exciting ideas to introduce lootboxes in every single game, even in articles about the games.

What a roller coaster! Damn my life is exciting!

AlomarTacticalZombehScot
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Actually throwing your money at the screen is now possible!
    With Anthem VR you can now move your controllers in the classic 'Make It Rain' motion and see your money fly out of your character's hands and into EA's pockets!
    EA probably has Bioware working on lootboxes first before completing development of the core game.
    TacticalZombeh
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Murmaider said:

Albatroes said:

DMKano said:

VR is a complete dud.

I would find it odd playing a VR game that requires running and running, yet the controls have you standing still and using a controller to move.
    It breaks the immersion.

Blu Ray is a thing, but its a tech that literally went nowhere even now it is still less popular than regular DVD's and they are ancient history almost on the scale of a floppy drive. Though i think you might well be correct in one way at least, VR and Blu ray do have certain things in common, and that is the price tag was too high for too little gain, 4k is gradually becoming the norm, but VR, its still little more than an expensive gizmo that while most probably wouldn't mind having one, they are unlikely to actually ever get, a better monitor on the other hand is a no brainer.

Anthem, as others have said already, the more you hear about it, the less interested i've become, if the game does turn out to be good, then i really will be surprised, because expectations are really that low, i mean, who doesn't think its going to be a cash shop driven game at this point? personally i think it will just be another multiplayer pvp game in the end where players battle it out over various maps/arenas for loot rewards, that is literally how low my expectations for this game are. :/
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    jgDuffay said:
    Biowares top talent devs left years ago.

Bioware has been EA for a long time now, they kept the name Bioware for brand recognition only.

Bioware died a long time ago
    It's a sad day when I find myself agreeing with this. I think the time has come to move on to acceptance though... RIP Bioware.
    Phry

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    jgDuffay said:
    Biowares top talent devs left years ago.

Bioware has been EA for a long time now, they kept the name Bioware for brand recognition only.

Bioware died a long time ago
    It's a sad day when I find myself agreeing with this. I think the time has come to move on to acceptance though... RIP Bioware.
    Its a sad list of developers that only seems to get longer :'(
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Murmaider said:

Albatroes said:

DMKano said:

VR is a complete dud.

It breaks the immersion.

I've actually found seated experiences in a swivel chair using nothing but a gamepad and headset can be quite compelling, even when "walking around" virtual environments.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    VR... oh poor VR.

I bought into the VR craze.  You know what I played?  Elite Dangerous.  I also bought Climb, Steep, and Carnival Arcade. 

You know what I've bought since then?

Nothing. 

Why?  Because it's next to useless.  The games are (generally) crap abandonware.  The game I REALLY want to play (Skyrim VR) is probably going to get into a pissing contest and not support my rig (Oculus) meaning I'm stuck there.

PSVR may have it right containing it down to a proprietary rig on a proprietary system.  Because opening Steam and not being able to play every VR game on OR (or hell Vive doesn't play OR games) is bull-shitake!

That being said, I did buy BF2.  Kid just beat single player (she was so excited).  Then I mentioned they had a free update and she had more single player stuff and she went nuts.  

But EA is on my despise list.  ME, Dragons Age, BF just so many good games flushed because of their want of  moneymoneymoney.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Ikeda said:

VR... oh poor VR.

I bought into the VR craze.  You know what I played?  Elite Dangerous.  I also bought Climb, Steep, and Carnival Arcade. 

You know what I've bought since then?

Nothing. 

Why?  Because it's next to useless.  The games are (generally) crap abandonware.  The game I REALLY want to play (Skyrim VR) is probably going to get into a pissing contest and not support my rig (Oculus) meaning I'm stuck there.

PSVR may have it right containing it down to a proprietary rig on a proprietary system.  Because opening Steam and not being able to play every VR game on OR (or hell Vive doesn't play OR games) is bull-shitake!

That being said, I did buy BF2.  Kid just beat single player (she was so excited).  Then I mentioned they had a free update and she had more single player stuff and she went nuts.  

But EA is on my despise list.  ME, Dragons Age, BF just so many good games flushed because of their want of  moneymoneymoney.

personally, i love my psvr. skyrim is amazing even with the dated graphics. i just got it so i havent had time to play much more. i was one of those people that said vr is gonna flop. honestly, imo, those people have not tried it. once you do, you see everything differently. literally.
    Phaserlight