Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think Cryengine was a good choice for Star Citizen?

kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
I don't know anymore...

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    why?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I don't know anymore...
    Is there some reason why it's not good? Are there issues that the engine can't seem to handle?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    no and its one of the main reasons everyone said the thing would never release. It was ALWAYS a garbage engine and what Amazon supposedly did didnt change that. I said that last year when that 'big' announcement came forward.

but they were cheap and willing to take whatever Roberts and company would shove down their throats and thats what Roberts wanted,.

Now theyre going to be his Waterloo.
    ScotchUpbwwianakievBabuinix
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    No, I never thought it was.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    rodarin said:
    no and its one of the main reasons everyone said the thing would never release. It was ALWAYS a garbage engine and what Amazon supposedly did didnt change that. I said that last year when that 'big' announcement came forward.

but they were cheap and willing to take whatever Roberts and company would shove down their throats and thats what Roberts wanted,.

well cryengine isn't really garbage if you use it for its intended purpose which would be small scene size first person shooters. Roberts being the idiot he is though only looked and saw it had the prettiest graphics(my opinion) so went with that for a large scale space opera and now he's paying the price for it
    laxiebwwianakievZenJellyBabuinix
    Kefo said:
    rodarin said:

well cryengine isn't really garbage if you use it for its intended purpose which would be small scene size first person shooters. Roberts being the idiot he is though only looked and saw it had the prettiest graphics(my opinion) so went with that for a large scale space opera and now he's paying the price for it
    yeah its OK in that regard but for MMOs no way. Even after how much time and money (Amazons included) it is showing that everyone who said it was no good for an MMO were right.

Even as scaled down as they have made these instances the performance is trash.

I really think the original plan was maybe ot make something and ship it out the door get Crytek some pub as an MMO engine and go from there. I think thats what theyre really pissed about, back when this all started there were companies trying to get their engines promoted and being the next big thing. Fallen Earth was ALL about the engine and very little about the game. It showed its limitations and that was that.

Star Citizen was a pig in a poke and Crytek also went along for the ride hoping to ride the wave. I think they went along this long because they saw all the money. Then when CiG went to Amazon and basically tried to erase Crytek they got pissed. I said it before that they were sending them letters, have been for over a year. They tried to keep it hush hush. But now its gone too far and maybe a bit of conscience (one can hope) has crept into Crytek. I am not naive enough to think theyre all benevolent everyone wants something out of it. But now it might be some sort of 'righteous' retribution on Cryteks part. Its not about the money because there isnt any Crytek more than anyone should know that.
    Octagon7711Babuinix
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's a trick question.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    In hindsight, it was probably a bad choice otherwise they wouldn't have tried to move to Lumberyard.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    In hindsight, it was probably a bad choice otherwise they wouldn't have tried to move to Lumberyard.
    Lumberyard is Cryengine with some upgrades and features added by Amazon. Adding upgrades to the game engine as you develop the game is normal part of development and doesn't tell how good or bad the engine choice was.
    Babuinix

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I believe that Robert's chose it only because he signed a cheap deal/license.I do not believe he chose it for any other reason.Of course only he knows the truth but what i have seen from him so far really sheds a lot of light,this guy is not a very good choice to run a game business.

"Lumberyard" again i believe has more to do with the business side than practical reasons.The Lumberyard engine is FREE so yeah just saying.However i imagine that Amazon makes up for it with a ton of AWS,web service costs and of course it's advertised transition with Twitch which they also own.

What baffles me,is by their own admission and Amazon,the engines are near identical to CryEngine,not sure how they can come that close to a copyright infringement w/o action by the Cry team.SC claims to have added a bunch to the Cryengine,so to me it looks like a lot of just stealing and getting things for FREE is what interests Robert's,similar to making the game for FREE.
    Octagon7711

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Wizardry said:

What baffles me,is by their own admission and Amazon,the engines are near identical to CryEngine,not sure how they can come that close to a copyright infringement w/o action by the Cry team.
    Amazon bought the license to use CryEngine as a base when developing Lumberyard.

they switched to LY for a few reasons. It was free, it was still the same exact engine they were working with before (any 'upgrades' just meant someone at Amazon made it work while CR and the poached CE guys couldnt). Amazon was attached to it so they could pretend they were 'partners' with them and sucker a few more braindead people who might have a conspiracy that Amazon was going to help fund SC going forward.

It was really a perfect storm for these guys. But now its going to all get exposed.

Its amazing how this companies actions have mirrored the Obama and Clinton Actions over the past few years and how now all the 'facts' are coming out that it wasnt Derek Smart (trump) who was the bad guy it was these guys all along. But then again in both cases anyone without a hive mentality already knew and understood that anyway.

While neither Trump nor Derek Smart are any great prizes at least they arent the other side. Lesser of two evils and all that I guess.
    ShaighMaxBaconSpottyGekkoFrodoFraginsBabuinix
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited December 2017
    /grabs salted popcorn and waits for the armchair developers to start debating about a heavily modified game engine none of them has ever worked with.
    Post edited by Shodanas on
    OrinoriBabuinix
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    There weren't many other options at the time.  Although as pointed out earlier, CryEngine was a reasonable enough choice until Chris Roberts made the project go off the rails.

Lumberyard isn't going to be a big enough improvement over CryEngine for what Star Citizen promised though.  Odds are that switch was purely an attempt to escape illegal shenanigans, especially considering that there's ample evidence they only partially moved to Lumberyard at most after making that announcement.
    Post edited by Tiamat64 on
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    They chose between cryengine and Unreal 4 so can someone please enlighten us why Unreal 4 would have been a lot better?
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Shaigh said:
    They chose between cryengine and Unreal 4 so can someone please enlighten us why Unreal 4 would have been a lot better?
    There was no better and that is the fact. The original scope was more limited in ways that it's more believed the tech those engines offered would be mostly OK, but once they wanted more, they had to develop themselves the tech to handle it.

The best choice was not between Unreal or Cryengine, it was going with their own custom engine, the problem was they didn't have the resources to do so early on, neither imagined the crowdfund would have grown to the scale it did.
    Tiamat64 said:
    There weren't many other options at the time.  Although as pointed out earlier, CryEngine was a reasonable enough choice until Chris Roberts made the project go off the rails.

Lumberyard isn't going to be a big enough improvement over CryEngine for what Star Citizen promised though.  Odds are that switch was purely an attempt to escale illegal shenanigans, especially considering that there's ample evidence they only partially moved to Lumberyard at most after making that announcement.
    well that goes to the other issue where people said what they claimed they had done or were going to do was impossible. And it still is because theyre not doing what they claimed they could do because the watered down attempt at it that is 3.0 is a completely unplayable mess.

People are losing sight of the forest for the trees.

How many times have LEGIT people said 'you cnat do that' and Roberts or someone else at CiG said 'yes we can' or 'we already did it watch his (fake) video (that they claim is gameplay footage. IF that WERE gameplay footage and they showed it almost 18 months ago then why isnt THAT in the 3.0 release now?

There are so many lies, deceptions and exaggerations you cant keep up with them and when the critics cite one theyre missing a dozen more but even so the white knights have every strawman argument under the sun to pull from BECAUSE there ARE so many problems. They can pick and choose which ones to address and spin it accordingly. thats why when SPECIFICS are made the white knights start the generalization debates and things spin off on ANOTHER issue. 

Like now where I said 'impossible' someone is going to invariably say ''hmm thats funny I am 'playing' everyday'' which my TECHNICALLY and semantically be accurate its still a far cry from the claims that have been made. And crashing a dozen times an hour and not being able to complete objectives IMO isnt really 'playing'. But its what they do.

There still isnt an engine that can do the things he claims they wanted (or have already done) in a multiplayer server.
    MaxBacon
    DMKano said:
    But they are using Lumberyard now not Cryengine.

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-switches-from-cryengine-to-amazons-lumberyard/

"
    In a follow-up post, Cloud Imperium Games boss Chris Roberts clarified that Lumberyard and StarEngine, the heavily-modified version of the CryEngine that powers Star Citizen, are "forks from exactly the same build of CryEngine." Both CIG and Amazon stopped taking new builds of the engine from Crytek near the end of 2015, and so all that's really changed in the transition is that the "foundation" for the engine is now Lumberyard rather than CryEngine. "

Might as well sue Amazon.....
    Who should sue Amazon?
    MaxBacon
    DMKano said:

Why? Did amazon also have a deal with Crytek to only use Crytek for one game and display their logo on splash screens?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I remember when one of the good things about SC was that with cryengine 3 they saved time on building the game because they wouldn't have to build an engine from scratch.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

Why? Did amazon also have a deal with Crytek to only use Crytek for one game and display their logo on splash screens?
    Sounds like CIG and Crytek made a deal, then CIG and Amazon made a deal.  If CIG didn't fully disclose the terms of the first deal with Amazon then they might be in trouble with Amazon as well. Speculation of course here.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Wizardry said:
    I believe that Robert's chose it only because he signed a cheap deal/license.I do not believe he chose it for any other reason.Of course only he knows the truth but what i have seen from him so far really sheds a lot of light,this guy is not a very good choice to run a game business.

"Lumberyard" again i believe has more to do with the business side than practical reasons.The Lumberyard engine is FREE so yeah just saying.However i imagine that Amazon makes up for it with a ton of AWS,web service costs and of course it's advertised transition with Twitch which they also own.

What baffles me,is by their own admission and Amazon,the engines are near identical to CryEngine,not sure how they can come that close to a copyright infringement w/o action by the Cry team.SC claims to have added a bunch to the Cryengine,so to me it looks like a lot of just stealing and getting things for FREE is what interests Robert's,similar to making the game for FREE.
    I think Cry is focused on cryengine 3 under which the original deal was made.  CIG has modified over it but Cry says CIG is still using C3 as their core and ignoring them and their original terms of agreement.  

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited December 2017
    Shodanas said:
    /grabs salted popcorn and waits the for armchair developers to start debating about a heavily modified game engine none of them has ever worked with.
    Don't use regular salt, use this instead for that movie theater taste. Also the other secret is popping in coconut oil.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

Sounds like CIG and Crytek made a deal, then CIG and Amazon made a deal.  If CIG didn't fully disclose the terms of the first deal with Amazon then they might be in trouble with Amazon as well. Speculation of course here.  
    It's not unusual at all for a game to display the logo of more than one product used to develop it - it's routine actually. I don't see the problem with SC having both Crytek and LY on their splash screen.

ESO for example, used the Hero engine just for prototyping and developed their own engine. They used it to a much lesser extent than SC used Crytek but when the game released the splash screen had Hero there as well as Havoc. SC's decision to remove it altogether is actually the weirdest part of all this.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited December 2017
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

It's not unusual at all for a game to display the logo of more than one product used to develop it - it's routine actually. I don't see the problem with SC having both Crytek and LY on their splash screen.

ESO for example, used the Hero engine just for prototyping and developed their own engine. They used it to a much lesser extent than SC used Crytek but when the game released the splash screen had Hero there as well as Havoc. SC's decision to remove it altogether is actually the weirdest part of all this.
    If they had an exclusitivity clause in their contract with Crytek like the complaint alleges, displaying two logos would have broken it.