Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Dev Blog Reveals All Base & Secondary Classes - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew Dev Blog Reveals All Base & Secondary Classes - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

Ashes of Creation News - As the Friends & Family Alpha 0 event gets underway, the Ashes of Creation site has been updated with a chart that reveals all of the classes available in the game. Players will choose a base class (Fighter, Tank, Rogue, Ranger, Mage, Summoner, Cleric or Bard) and later in the game a secondary class will become available. Each secondary brings a unique way to play the game. "A Warden must feel uniquely different from a Spell Hunter & a Beastmaster must feel unique when partnered with a Necro".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I love Titan's Quest style of awesomeness
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Pretty cool list of class names! Surprised monk or friar didn't make it on there somewhere.
    --------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Glad to see a few more uncommon names on the board, was starting to wonder if this game shouldn't be re-titled "Generic MMORPG."

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nemein1nemein1 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    so what is the main classes the top row or the left row ? i have also noticed that if you go fighter tank ur a dreadnought and if u go tank fighter ur a knight?
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017
    Looking good. Hopefully Bard wont let me down. Last 'good' bard I played was in Rift in terms of more 'modern' style games (and no FFXIV's bard isn't really a bard).
    zanfire
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Super, super love sub classing!!! Best thing ever! This game just jumped a ton on my list.
    forcelimaSignex
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96

nemein1 said:

so what is the main classes the top row or the left row ? i have also noticed that if you go fighter tank ur a dreadnought and if u go tank fighter ur a knight?

Im just assuming, but I believe the left Base class column is always your first primary class you choose. So even though the combinations are the same the base class dictates where its base strengths lie. So Dreadnought will always be a better fighter than a knight and a knight will always be a better tank than a Dreadnought. Since they are stating you wont get the secondary for a while from your base it would make sense that your secondary wouldnt be close to as competent as someone who chose it as their base.

This is an extremely cool class idea that Ive been dying to see in more mmos but Im wondering what their balancing plan is. Will they allow for some gutter classes? or high skill demanding classes? I really dont want every class/sub watered down to the same exact power level. Maybe some classes will have more strength situationally. Considering you could change your sub to a "pure" class you still could do well in certain situations.
    ThupliSBFordchocolate42069
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    So many combinations sounds amazing. Hopefully there's real choices involved unlike ArcheAge.
    chocolate42069DeadSpock
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232

So many combinations sounds amazing. Hopefully there's real choices involved unlike ArcheAge.

I am willing to bet this game will be plagued with similar issues. This type of class system always looks good on paper. And then the game comes out and only 4-5 classes are actually Viable. Just like in ArcheAge, except I think ArcheAge really only had 2-3 viable classes tbh. Even having healers was pointless for the most part when it came to clan wars, mage ball was unbeatable whoever hit first won.
    chocolate42069Signex
  • Tom272Tom272 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I really hope all of this thing looks as great once is comes out as it does now on paper..
    chocolate42069
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    lots of bla bla bla.
    MikehaAlomarsakerhzlancerTheScavenger
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    !remindme when the game is close to launch!

Shaman, necro or high priest I guess.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is nothing on any of the classes ,so for all i know they could all be crap.

As well,why not just do it the best way "FFXI" and allow ANY class to be the main and any to be the sub without changing the class name entirely depending on the forced base and then sub class.

Since there is nothing,it all just looks like talk to get more money.

I know how good a game will be looking at the abilities and spells and PVP will just be a complete bust,you can never balance pvp.

Everything else sounds good on paper but yeah talk is cheap.
    saker

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    bit ambitious with the amount...
    BillMurphySignex
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    So many classes will result in Massive unbalance and a lot of crying when the 1st Nerf waves appear :D
    Cant wait to read the forums of this game short after launch !!
    It will be more entertaining than the game itself lol
    OzmodanSignex
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    The main class is basically the class that gives you all your abilities; the secondary class, gives a "finishing touch" to those abilities, a slight variation/augmentation with the nuance of the subclass' abilities.
    chocolate42069Signex
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    There aren't really a lot of classes as it seems. You only get maybe up to 25% of your secondary class added to your base. You want to be a full fighter then you have to go fighter/fighter.
    chocolate42069
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    These things throw me off.. Am I reading this from top to bottom or left to right?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Because there's not enough unnecessary complication to the development already.....lol.
    Ozmodan
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2017
    Now the only thing more important than this (to me at least) is knowing how progression will be done. If it just being another gear treadmill then its just gonna be another game I maybe visit 2-3 times out of the year like WoW/FFXIV just because of how classing is being portrayed to work.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I'm kinda interested in this game. Based on what I have seen it looks a bit GW2ish I will be watching closely as it progresses.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RS-ManRS-Man Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Here is a picture edited to explain the primary and secondary
    https://i.imgur.com/8P2L26O.jpg

=/= Better be defeated for a triumph than not to triumph by fear of failure! =\=

AsRock x370 Taichi AM4 Promontory
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.9Ghz 1.33v
    CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 - Temps: ~28-32 idle ~45-60 load
    G.Skill Ripjaws 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
    MSI GamingX GTX 1070
    CoolerMaster 850Watts PowerSupply

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    As a hardcore pvper, my first thoughts in terms of classes are balance. Let's be honest balancing is a never-ending endeavor that even when time and resources are invested by a dev it's still a spinning wheel of one fotm build to the next. Yet, this many class combinations would be a balance nightmare.
    Ozmodan
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Since we know so very little about this game to begin with this is just a picture. This is all just smoke & mirrors until a lot more becomes fully public.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    As Thoreau once said "complexity breeds confusion and dissatisfaction".  When it comes to software projects it also kills timelines.  Someone needs to send a description of what the KISS principle means, seems they have no clue what they are doing!