Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion CEO Scott Hartsman Takes to Reddit Regarding Orphiel's Mount Crate - Rift - MMORPG.com

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2017
    I loved this game back when it was level 1-50 subscription model. Oh well.

This was the game I was playing when SWTOR released and it wasn't too long after that we saw a boost in population, and Chat started having a lot more Star Wars bashing topics. 
    IselinXophd_20
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yup. Me too. Loved the zone-wide rift invasion concept as well as their class design.
    GeezerGamerXoph
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• valoizvaloiz Member UncommonPosts: 52
    A "mistake" from Trion?.... worst publisher ever
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Iselin said:
    Yup. Me too. Loved the zone-wide rift invasion concept as well as their class design.
    The Soul System was an awesome concept. The execution was lacking. What was supposed to be a "Build your own class" system turned into a cookie cutter build based on 4 classes not a dozen or so Souls.
    Gorwe
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Let me ask you all.

What is a fair model for a studio to have, that generates revenue but you as a gamer do not feel cheated? Keep in mind, people come from all walks of life, and have different budgets. I'm honestly curious, because most things I see are:

1) Do away with subscriptions
    2) Loot boxes are a scam, the need to go away
    3) Micro-transaction are a cancer and money gouge.

Studios cannot create content, support a game or deliver on promises without the flow of cash.

So, what is the ideal system for you to hand your hard earned money to the developers of these games?
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Iselin said:
    The Soul System was an awesome concept. The execution was lacking. What was supposed to be a "Build your own class" system turned into a cookie cutter build based on 4 classes not a dozen or so Souls.
    yeah it was cool but i hated the result, u made some macros and done.... 1 -2 buttons and the game does the rotation for u , sooo boring
    Iselin
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    edited December 2017
    Let me ask you all.

What is a fair model for a studio to have, that generates revenue but you as a gamer do not feel cheated? Keep in mind, people come from all walks of life, and have different budgets. I'm honestly curious, because most things I see are:

Studios cannot create content, support a game or deliver on promises without the flow of cash.

So, what is the ideal system for you to hand your hard earned money to the developers of these games?
    Well, the problem with your statements here is that they are only half of what people say.

People here on MMORPG are fine with Subs as most actually prefer that payment plan on here but the company needs a constant flow of good content to keep people interested. 

Loot boxes are a scam cause they withhold content to keep you playing which is what annoy people when you have to play a month to unlock a character.

Micro transactions are definitely a touchy subject here on MMORPG.com but most seem fine with it as long as its cosmetic only which most companies usually don't stick to.

I prefer to play PSO2 which uses micro transactions and pay services. You can pay 2 bucks for a scratch ticket for a chance of getting one of 3 possible items in a pool of 30 items which new ones are released bi weekly. With this though is that you can sell the item you get in the player shop for in game cash if you get something you don't want. This is good for F2P players so they can buy RL cash items with in game cash which are 95% costmetic only. I find this fair and I love the flow of constant customization content to dress up my pretty waifus and handsome husbandos. 
    SovrathTheDarkrayned_20
    Warlyx said:
    Iselin said:
    yeah it was cool but i hated the result, u made some macros and done.... 1 -2 buttons and the game does the rotation for u , sooo boring
    Yeah. That in-game macro system made it all pretty cheezy.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Wow the trolls are out in force today.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    well I have to give him props for his courage(or stupidity is a thin line anyway) most people blame him for trion not being what is was the was him to blame for all the trion break on reputation, but he stills try to say something like the people would even care to listen his excuses
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    edited December 2017
    Sector13 said:
    Let me ask you all.

Well, the problem with your statements here is that they are only half of what people say.

People here on MMORPG are fine with Subs as most actually prefer that payment plan on here but the company needs a constant flow of good content to keep people interested. 

Loot boxes are a scam cause they withhold content to keep you playing which is what annoy people when you have to play a month to unlock a character.

Micro transactions are definitely a touchy subject here on MMORPG.com but most seem fine with it as long as its cosmetic only which most companies usually don't stick to.

I prefer to play PSO2 which uses micro transactions and pay services. You can pay 2 bucks for a scratch ticket for a chance of getting one of 3 possible items in a pool of 30 items which new ones are released bi weekly. With this though is that you can sell the item you get in the player shop for in game cash if you get something you don't want. This is good for F2P players so they can buy RL cash items with in game cash which are 95% costmetic only. I find this fair and I love the flow of constant customization content to dress up my pretty waifus and handsome husbandos. 
    Thank you for your feedback.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Let me ask you all.

Pretty much what Sector said.

I have no problem with loot boxes or even a $100 loot box. But wait! The company is going to make so that the game is annoying or "less fun" unless I purchase loot boxes? That's a problem. It's a bigger problem if I've paid for the game.

If it was a free game and they were up front with how they made their money then at least I am in the know. But a paid game with loot boxes means they are going to have to implement them so they don't seem like they are fleecing customers.

Subscriptions? Sure, awesome. I'm also for companies raising their subs. But a lot of people will balk at paying monthly as they say (and big eye roll from me on this one) that they feel obligated to play if they are paying a sub. As opposed to just having complete access to the game whenever they want. And sure, they need to keep coming up with good content. A steady stream.

However, if a person only plays one day per month (or a "few") then sure it might not be worth it to pay $20 every month for a few hours of play.

Microtransactions? Same deal as loot boxes.

People don't want to feel that they are being fleeced, they want to feel like they are getting good value for money.
    MadFrenchied_20
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Thane said:
    hehehe, imagine that in RL.

you go to a store and wanna buy a flat screen. now the vendor tell you he has 4 boxes here.... and you have to chose.

ONE of them, has the TV... the others? not so much :) gl!
    But some cling to this ridiculous thought that as long as SOMETHING is in he box it's not gambling ecause you are guaranteed to "win" something.   It's an utter joke and it's time seems to be coming to a rapid end.

What if all items were of equal value?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Let me ask you all.

Right even the gamers themselves don't know.....THe best philosophy is make a great game and the model most likely wont matter.
  • slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    CEO, the box are pretty good i mean the mounts but for 99$ are you crazy or what? since who will spend 100$ in a mount... just reduce the price like 20$ or 30$ and you will see people will handled it different.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Let me ask you all.

I have no problem with loot boxes or even a $100 loot box. But wait! The company is going to make so that the game is annoying or "less fun" unless I purchase loot boxes? That's a problem. It's a bigger problem if I've paid for the game.

If it was a free game and they were up front with how they made their money then at least I am in the know. But a paid game with loot boxes means they are going to have to implement them so they don't seem like they are fleecing customers.

Subscriptions? Sure, awesome. I'm also for companies raising their subs. But a lot of people will balk at paying monthly as they say (and big eye roll from me on this one) that they feel obligated to play if they are paying a sub. As opposed to just having complete access to the game whenever they want. And sure, they need to keep coming up with good content. A steady stream.

However, if a person only plays one day per month (or a "few") then sure it might not be worth it to pay $20 every month for a few hours of play.

People don't want to feel that they are being fleeced, they want to feel like they are getting good value for money.
    Piggy-backing here, but:

Artificially (sometimes deceptively) extending grind to make MT/lootbox purchases more tempting is the current trend and the largest point of ire for consumers.

If you wanna extend the grind to help tide folks over til the next content drop?  Sure, I can stomach that, so long as the content drop is substantial and worth waiting for (so not just new cosmetics landing in the cash shop) and the game itself is fun.  I realize quality content isn't something that happens instantly.

You wanna extend the grind so you can push me to the shop to buy boosters for my progression and/or straight up progression items?  Nuh uh.  Don't push me towards paying to AVOID playing your game.  That's asinine.
    d_20

edited December 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Let me ask you all.

Vanity items in loot boxes and the cash shop have more of an impact for everyone in the game than you might think.

In ESO for example, bad game performance and lag both in PVP and PVE have become much worse once they started adding all those hundreds of new textures and GFX to mounts and costumes. And there is no end in sight since that's a big money maker for them.

The huge FPS drops you see in busy cities are a symptom of that as are the chronic problems with long loading screens. It's not a huge deal on the PC but it's a big problem on the consoles.

Recently they tried to implement a new texture loading scheme to try to alleviate the problem but it caused more problems than it solved and they had to roll it back.

This is as close as they have gotten to admitting that it's textures gone wild that is hurting the performance:

Hey everyone, thanks so much for contributing your info to this thread. To give you all an update, our QA team has been hard at work continually testing the different scenarios we mentioned at the start of this thread, which has given our engineers a lot of data to work with. One of the things they found is it seems like there may be an issue with some textures failing to load, which in turn is causing seemingly-infinite loading screens. We're going to be testing some potential fixes for this, in addition to determining exactly which textures are causing an issue. This isn't to say this is the exact or only thing causing the loading screens, but it's certainly a promising lead.

Hey everyone,

We’d like to explain what happened to cause the recent issue with long loading screens, and what we’re doing to make sure it doesn’t happen again. The source of the long loading screens came down to a bug we introduced in the Clockwork City DLC.

So, what was the bug? In Update 16, we added in a new system that refined the character texture loading pipeline as part of our ongoing effort to increase performance and framerate in high-intensity situations (such as in Cyrodiil and densely-populated cities). Unfortunately, this new pipeline was causing some character textures to get lost, which was causing the load screen to never drop because there were still textures that need to be loaded.

While we continue to work on fixing this issue fully, we’re going to be making two changes to an upcoming incremental patch. First, we’re going to be reverting to the old pipeline which doesn’t have this issue, but may affect how quickly you see other characters loading in (this will essentially be the same as it was before Clockwork City). Further, we’re introducing a new failsafe that will force your load screen to drop after two minutes if it is only waiting on textures. This patch is currently with first party certification for testing; the patch for PlayStation 4 and PC/Mac will be published next Tuesday, November 28. The patch for Xbox One requires a bit more time with first party certification, and we’re targeting a publish during the week of December 4.

In the future when we have a more permanent fix, we plan to re-enable the new pipeline because it makes for better game performance, but when we do that, we’ll be adding the equivalent of a switch on our side that we can turn off (to fall back to the old system) if we see these kinds of issues crop up again, rather than make you wait for another patch.

BruceYeed_20

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Torval said:

I don't know why people have lash out so vilely. It's seriously messed up that some of you post such hate.

Of course I see things differently. I see a CEO who's team seemingly made a bad decision step up to the place, take the accountability on himself, and apologize. What in the hell else can someone do?

I know there are some snarky self-righteous condescending comments just waiting spew out of those keyboards how it shouldn't have even been a thing in the first place, but how can you honestly say that given the environment of the industry. Hell, some people can't even be honest and consistent with themselves and others between threads.

Why would the Rift team suspect that a loot crate with a guaranteed top end payout would garner so much backlash just because it's $100. ESO sells a house that costs $125. Crowfall just announced it's cash shop will have an item cost cap of $200. Ashes just launched new buy in packages that a lot juicier than their analogous Kickstarter packages, for just about 25% more. Wait, that's not all, Pantheon just advertised their $1000 pre-alpha buy in. And Trino gets a hit for a $100 horse? People call Scott all sorts of horrible names for that?

Sorry, but some people should be ashamed, not only for their vitriol, but mostly for the hypocrisy. The vitriol is enough though. It's unwarranted to treat anyone like that.

Because they are charging $100 which is in no way a small sum of money for a chance at an ugly mount in an almost dead mmo AND people already dislike Trion for many, many reasons. Many if not all of those reasons people have grown to dislike Trion for is because of Hartsman. He is the CEO and makes all the final decisions so who else will disgruntled players vent their frustrations to? their community managers that immediately delete anything remotely critical in their forums or their employees who have no say whatsoever in any decisions?

You remember a guy named John Smedley? he could piss gold, hand cups of it out to players and would still be hated til' the end of time for the decisions he's made, the same goes for Hartsman #thenorthremembers. The harsh reactions by the gaming community is justified when ONE PERSON lies, cheats, steals once or many times over for their personal gain. You'll probably see a few people involved with those games you mentioned above + SC added to that "list" very soon. Being put on "the list" is one of the risks of being involved with the gaming industry and in saner times was an insurance policy to deter bad behavior.

http://steamcharts.com/app/39120
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Torval said:
    I don't know why people have lash out so vilely. It's seriously messed up that some of you post such hate.

Of course I see things differently. I see a CEO who's team seemingly made a bad decision step up to the place, take the accountability on himself, and apologize. What in the hell else can someone do?

I know there are some snarky self-righteous condescending comments just waiting spew out of those keyboards how it shouldn't have even been a thing in the first place, but how can you honestly say that given the environment of the industry. Hell, some people can't even be honest and consistent with themselves and others between threads.

Why would the Rift team suspect that a loot crate with a guaranteed top end payout would garner so much backlash just because it's $100. ESO sells a house that costs $125. Crowfall just announced it's cash shop will have an item cost cap of $200. Ashes just launched new buy in packages that a lot juicier than their analogous Kickstarter packages, for just about 25% more. Wait, that's not all, Pantheon just advertised their $1000 pre-alpha buy in. And Trino gets a hit for a $100 horse? People call Scott all sorts of horrible names for that?

Sorry, but some people should be ashamed, not only for their vitriol, but mostly for the hypocrisy. The vitriol is enough though. It's unwarranted to treat anyone like that.
    LOL... just LOL.

The only people that should be ashamed are the apologists for this ridiculous business practice.

IselinBruceYeeNilden

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    Torval said:

I think part of the reason is that these mounts are sold separately in the shop for like $10 bucks a pop?  I may be wrong there, though, somebody else needs to confirm.

To your larger point: the vitriol stems from the repeated, back to back attempts to utilize MTs in a way that consumers have already rejected in a big way.  Any publisher attempting to find new ways to nickel and dime a customer in the current industry consumer climate is super tone deaf, or just DGAF.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    While I don't agree with those being rude, I do understand their anger.  What other games/mmo are doing does not justify another's actions.  Attempting to sell something that cost maybe $1000 (and that's being very generous) for $100 to thousands of players is ridiculous (even if the game in question is labeled as FTP).  Instead of making the game FTP and then installing $100 boxes worth a few dollars, you should be making the game good enough for players to want to pay the $15 monthly fee.  If the game simply sucks to badly for that, then maybe it should be scrapped and a better one created.   
    BruceYeeMadFrenchieNilden
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    1st as to the vitriol, it's abundantly clear that most on this thread don't even play Rift.  It's just was is expected  here now.  Bashing anything and everything is now a hobby.

2. Don't like the loot box, don't buy it. 
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    While I don't agree with those being rude, I do understand their anger.  What other games/mmo are doing does not justify another's actions.  Attempting to sell something that cost maybe $1000 (and that's being very generous) for $100 to thousands of players is ridiculous (even if the game in question is labeled as FTP).  Instead of making the game FTP and then installing $100 boxes worth a few dollars, you should be making the game good enough for players to want to pay the $15 monthly fee.  If the game simply sucks to badly for that, then maybe it should be scrapped and a better one created.   

I have to agree with this. Games that were Pay2Play and have gone Buy2Play and then gone Free2Play are failures or in total playerbase decline.

Everyone still plays WoW, even though their playerbase has dropped significantly it still seems to hold more than any of their rival games. Its also P2P and B2P.

I bought some that were marked as B2P but have changed to F2P and your not given that much in return when they move to this model, however you just lost much of what you had and then have to use the item shop. Yep i have and also bought crates and had ... Nothing, nothing at all other than what you get in game for free. Its just not worth it, i reckon it must be 1% chance of getting something that only comes from crates and the rest is just whats gained in game everyday. 
    I no longer do it, i just play untill i cannot play no more without the need to use the shop and then hope to get whats wanted, rather just quit playing and move on.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I don't believe that "hating others is always wrong." Your moral code can believe whatever it wants, but hatred and hating is perfectly ok to me.
    SBFordAllerleirauh
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Torval said:

I agree with you to some degree, but I also feel like if anyone had a pulse on what was going on in the video game world, they would have a clue that it was BS. Perhaps, i'm in the minority, but I think it's BS and i'm not even in the field, i just follow the news. Therefore, how can a CEO in the industry not be aware that a $100 loot box is not going to go over well. Early access and alpha buy ins are a different beast imo and not the same as loot boxes.

The likelihood he was completely caught off guard is remote. Then again, i don't have all the information. Maybe the studies his company did showed that $100 was actually cheap . . .

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.