Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We Ride - Need a 90s Era PvP Fix? This Hardcore Game May Be the Ticket - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWe Ride - Need a 90s Era PvP Fix? This Hardcore Game May Be the Ticket - MMORPG.com News

Their own description is too good to pass up. The We Ride team is setting out to bring back the action packed PvP mayhem that many have longed for since the dawn of this century. According to Ben Holme, "I want it to be hard as hell. No magically flaming swords, no mighty castles. No, you live in a barren desert, you're gonna get killed and looted, and you're gonna love it!"

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SekritcowSekritcow Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Looks soo bad!
    Lastlaughlol
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,507
    I cringed to death watching this in my lunchbreak! thanks dude...
    JunglecharlyforcelimaandredocLastlaughlol

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2017
    Well, I can say I saw anything of real interest in the trailer for me.

Mention of "seasons," meaning progression is reset periodically? Non starter then.

Also I enjoy earning things, but not from killing and looting others, especially if it involves slaughtering folks senselessly, there needs to be solid purpose behind the mayhem.

I do play FFA full loot games, but only when I'm convinced there are mechanics in place to manage my level of risk, as so often is it the case where I'm often taking much greater risks than those who hunt me.

Not a game for me then, will take the advice given so often by fans of this sort of thing and stay far away.

I will say, with that cool title I was disappointed to find out this wasn't a game based on motorcycle gangs in a dystopian dark setting in the near future. Nope, standard fantasy trope once again. B)
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]ManWithNoTan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Will they never learn
    Octagon7711

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Quick and easy games to make... plus with the popularity of PUBG, you're going to see more and more of these. The clones come a knocking...
    Octagon7711Lastlaughlol
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    The voice over reminds of some sap who lost the bet while drinking and had to come up with a voice at the last minute.

Don't drink and voice over kids...
    SBFordXarkoandredoc
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Is this a joke or an actual game?

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• LuposDavalteLuposDavalte Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I don't even..... Seriously this looks like the wet dream of some disgruntled Ultima Online veteran that laments the days he was an 'allstar quarterback'/All American Hero/Ultimate PvPer..

What is even most concerning is the shameless ripping off of the Ultima Online spell words of power.... You can see through the preview video, the player is casting spells such as "In Jux Sanct' (Magic Reflection) and In Por Ylem (Magic Arrow).

Ultima Online had an amazing magic system and the PvP was great during particular eras.... however you can't just shamelessly rip off their entire spell system without drawing on the ire of EA's legal team.

Whoever is developing this in their bedroom has some serious lessons to learn..... You can't just grab your 90's nostalgia, nudie mags and a game engine and put them in a blender and expect success....
    KyleranandredocLastlaughlol
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    garbage
    Lastlaughlol

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Warriors... you are METAL SKIN!
    BruceYeeandredoc
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Looks like a high school kid's class project, and the narrator sounds like a kid trying to disguise his prepubescent warbling with a very, very bad 'tough guy' voice.

Free is too high a price. They should be paying us to play this crap.
    Lastlaughlol

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    edited December 2017
    Complete with UO spells and words of power as Lupos already pointed out.. This seems... Interesting...
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    If I understand this correctly a single person created this game. If that's true or even a team of 2-3, then congrats for sure. The people flaming the game in here probably lack the ability to create a pancake, so don't listen to them. Most people don't get anywhere near this stage in creating a game. It may not be the style of game I like and I may never play it, but I still commend you for your efforts and passion for the craft. Good job.
    SovrathbobbymcswansonXarkoJunglecharly[Deleted User]andredoc
  • polkipolki Member UncommonPosts: 18
    the : "WE RIIIIIDE" ....... was soooooo.....
  • cranthugcranthug Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Started playing Eve again for the reasons stated in the article, with the new expanded free to play option there has never been a better time to jump in! :D
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    That fucking narration had me rolling on the floor.
    Xoph
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

btdt said:

Quick and easy games to make... plus with the popularity of PUBG, you're going to see more and more of these. The clones come a knocking...

What does this game have to do with PUBG? It looks like an ultima clone before they ruined PvP....that game is from the 90s, and there are already more of them coming out, Shards and Albion are both similar to UO

Why does it matter if people copy mechanics from different games anyway? No modern mmo has invented all of the mechanics in their game, not even close....so all this clone talk all over this forum and others is ridiculous....now this game might get into trouble as far as stealing IP goes....using the same exact spell words and the same weapon suffixes is riding a fine line.....
  • LachdadanLachdadan Member UncommonPosts: 17
    hm, for one man project it seems very interesting and actually features he is mentioning might be interesting /player made quests/dungeons/- it all comes to the actual combat system and how it plays, but he at least isnt trying to sell it and keeps it for free for testing /but the UO spells rip off while bringing some nostalgia is quite lame/
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    BruceYeeBrunlin
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Rofl, wow, wow, wow, is all i can say. Thanks for the best dam Video of the year, they should make a movie about it :)
    Brunlin
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    It feels like suzie is just trolling us right now.
    SBFord
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    This was hilarious... I needed that laugh for sure.
    Brunlin
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 144

If I understand this correctly a single person created this game. If that's true or even a team of 2-3, then congrats for sure. The people flaming the game in here probably lack the ability to create a pancake, so don't listen to them. Most people don't get anywhere near this stage in creating a game. It may not be the style of game I like and I may never play it, but I still commend you for your efforts and passion for the craft. Good job.

I can make a pancake. Thats for sure.
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    There is actually a larger hardcore pvp audience than most people think. Def checking this game out and don't sell out to the carebears.
    Brunlin
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I am not going to destroy the game because someone put their heart into it. My concern is more of the voice-over because the words that were strategically chosen seemed geared towards adolescents, which is fine, but for a PVP game that is also stressing on world building you need a combination of young and old to balance it out. Anyway, for those playing it I hope you have fun.