Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, Where Are YOU on Net Neutrality?

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    All the doomsayers here clutching to government's boots is funny.  The government can not run or regulate anything successfully.  You all can have faith in them I will not.  Less government the better.
    It's remarkable that any human being could have such a narrow view of a situation like this.  "Government is bad" is just some stupid trope that's been pushed on you relentlessly for decades.  There are some things that government is good for.  It's too bad that so many folks like you don't realize that yet.

Your government Kool-Aid must taste great.
    Your "corporate will save us from govment" kool aid must taste even better.
    [Deleted User]StjerneoddMrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    All the doomsayers here clutching to government's boots is funny.  The government can not run or regulate anything successfully.  You all can have faith in them I will not.  Less government the better.
    It's remarkable that any human being could have such a narrow view of a situation like this.  "Government is bad" is just some stupid trope that's been pushed on you relentlessly for decades.  There are some things that government is good for.  It's too bad that so many folks like you don't realize that yet.

Corporations and governments only serve one thing and that is themselves.  If either can get away with it they will screw you for money and power.  It is the people that actually have to do something about it.  Media, if we had one that worked, to get information out.  People to actually speak with their wallets. 
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

Corporations and governments only serve one thing and that is themselves.  If either can get away with it they will screw you for money and power.  It is the people that actually have to do something about it.  Media, if we had one that worked, to get information out.  People to actually speak with their wallets. 
    So I'm guessing you will be the first to speak with your wallet, go off grid, throw out your cell phone, put up hippy solar panels for power and go down to the nice clean river and dredge up some unprotected water for drinking?
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusStjerneoddMrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    Also, I don't get it. My liberal friends were applauding Merkel for forcing Facebook to censor her political opponents because "fake news". Now suddenly they're concerned about a free and open internet? Yeah right!
    The pressure should be solely focused on social media vetting the sponsored news articles they allow.

The misinformation and its effects on us are real.  The last US Presidential election proved that.  The fine line is ensuring that the posts are vetted in an unbiased manner.  It certainly complicates things, but if the status quo is "people believing obvious bullshit," then something needs to be done.

Misinformation posing as truth has also been one of the big reasons people are losing faith in news agencies in general.  That should be a huge concern for anyone.  An uninformed populace is easily fooled.

Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

So I'm guessing you will be the first to speak with your wallet, go off grid, throw out your cell phone, put up hippy solar panels for power and go down to the nice clean river and dredge up some unprotected water for drinking?
    Exactly.  I'm continually amazed by such ridiculous rhetoric. 

The world works the way it does not the way people wish it would, and the way it works is government officials are elected, corporate executives are not.
    The government hate bandwagon has been the longest running hate bandwagon in the world.

edited December 2017

Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

...snip....  Media, if we had one that worked, to get information out.  People to actually speak with their wallets. 
    Bwahahaha .....................you must be a huge fan of Continuum!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

The world works the way it does not the way people wish it would, and the way it works is government officials are elected, corporate executives are not.
    The government hate bandwagon has been the longest running hate bandwagon in the world.

With good reason. When was the last time a bakery killed 20 million of it's own customers? 
    Yes, because corporate entities have excellent track records in honest, up front dealings with the public.  Why in the world were governments ever created in the first place???
    MrMelGibson

Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

With good reason. When was the last time a bakery killed 20 million of it's own customers? 

How's that good clean government water working out for the people of Flint Michigan?

Screw solar power I have a generator. 

Threw out my cell phone years ago. 

Corporate executives are hired and get fired if they don't perform unlike most of those union bureaucrats and elected fossils in Washington. 

Really keep throwing those dead pigeons up there, they can't fly. 
    Well I guess we will find out once the FDA is defended and regulations are backed down.

"Who is the government to tell me I have to keep rat pubes out of the muffins I bake?" -a republican baker
    MrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Asm0deus said:

Bwahahaha .....................you must be a huge fan of Continuum!
    "Imagine a world where the phone company is the government." "That's scary." Good show. Though got a little weird in the last season trying to close the story with looming cancellation. 

And to the nut job that thinks corporate executives get fired... You don't know how corporations work. They are executives because they own the most shares. They can only be asked to sell and resign and fully in the right to refuse if they wish. They own it. 

Managers and employees can be fired... Owners are still owners. 

This is a sad day in hell. But there are still courts and elections. What goes around comes around. 
    MrMelGibson
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

Yes, because corporate entities have excellent track records in honest, up front dealings with the public.  Why in the world were governments ever created in the first place???

To rule over people and control resources for the betterment of those incharge of the governments.  It is a modern day myth that governments are really for the people and by the people.
    Horusra said:
    To rule over people and control resources for the betterment of those incharge of the governments.  It is a modern day myth that governments are really for the people and by the people.
    Say it all you want it doesn't make it so. The people have a hell of a lot more power than you think. 

You can trust corporations all you want, let me know how that turns out when you are on a corner holding out an empty can. 
    MrMelGibsonbartoni33
    And what's with this "I hate the government!" "So, I elected everyone I could to dismantle it." 

Perhaps if you would stop and think first. You could have elected someone that would benefit it. 
    MrMelGibson
    edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

So you are saying President Trump and his administration is in it for themselves and we shouldn't trust him and his government? His election was a hoax because the people's voice really doens't mater? Point taken.

bartoni33
    SWG Bloodfin vet

edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

If you want a revolution cause democracy and the system has failed just gather up all your hippy buddies and have at it, most of us though live in the real world and when it comes to NN we need to try and use the existing tools we have at our disposal to try and make things better....

...not some philosophical BS or fantastical idea that you can somehow change the fundamentals you're raging against.
    MrMelGibsonbartoni33

Tiller said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

How's that good clean government water working out for the people of Flint Michigan?

Corporate executives are hired and get fired if they don't perform unlike most of those union bureaucrats and elected fossils in Washington. 

Well I guess we will find out once the FDA is defended and regulations are backed down.

"Who is the government to tell me I have to keep rat pubes out of the muffins I bake?" -a republican baker
    "Hello government....tell me how I am suppose to feel and give me my allowance for the day." -a typical Democrat.

Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

"Hello government....tell me how I am suppose to feel and give me my allowance for the day." -a typical Democrat.

So I take it your like the taste of rat pubes. To each his own.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

How's it going? Independent voter here... And usually libertarian leaning (I believe in a free market too)... Though I would be considered progressive/green in political compass. 

You know nothing and immediately jump to attacks because you have no defense. We aren't fools. And believe me, neither are democrats. 

Anyone that has ever taken an economics course (and passed it.) would know regulation is necessary for functional free enterprise. And believe me when I say, most democrats are for the free market. No one has ever talked of implementing a fully socialist structured government. You are living in a fantasy land bud. 
    TillerMadFrenchieMrMelGibsonbartoni33
    Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

Lol, no.

Just no.

Your inability to see anything beyond some grand, sweeping, idealistic position prevents you from providing any pertinent input.  You go ahead and refuse assistance from the government when a natural disasters hits in your area though...  I mean, you know, deep down, they're not helping you, they're just sneaking all your prized possessions out the back door, right?

Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

How's it going? Independent voter here... And usually libertarian leaning (I believe in a free market too)... Though I would be considered progressive/green in political compass. 

You know nothing and immediately jump to attacks because you have no defense. We aren't fools. And believe me, neither are democrats. 

Anyone that has ever taken an economics course (and passed it.) would know regulation is necessary for functional free enterprise. And believe me when I say, most democrats are for the free market. No one has ever talked of implementing a fully socialist structured government. You are living in a fantasy land bud. 
    +1 
    BrunlinMrMelGibsonYashaX
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Less government control.....politicians NOT picking winners and losers......is better.
    BrunlinAelious
    Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

Lol, no.

Just no.

Your inability to see anything beyond some grand, sweeping, idealistic position prevents you from providing any pertinent input.  You go ahead and refuse assistance from the government when a natural disasters hits in your area though...  I mean, you know, deep down, they're not helping you, they're just sneaking all your prized possessions out the back door, right?

Last time a natural disaster hit we didn't see the government for three days. I saw linemen restoring electricity as soon as the winds died. Not because utility companies are the saviors of the universe. Because they know if they don't provide service they don't get paid. 

Governments are a very necessary evil that needs to be kept in check. Corporations need to be kept in check. Citizens must participate in their governance. How much power do you want to give other people over your life? History shows the larger a role government plays in citizens lives the more it abuses them. Corporations come with tempting offers to get your money, governments come with guns. Don't trust either until you know what they really want. 
    Using utility companies was a terrible example to support the argument that governments and regulations are bad...
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonYashaX

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited December 2017

Last time a natural disaster hit we didn't see the government for three days. I saw linemen restoring electricity as soon as the winds died. Not because utility companies are the saviors of the universe. Because they know if they don't provide service they don't get paid. 

Governments are a very necessary evil that needs to be kept in check. Corporations need to be kept in check. Citizens must participate in their governance. How much power do you want to give other people over your life? History shows the larger a role government plays in citizens lives the more it abuses them. Corporations come with tempting offers to get your money, governments come with guns. Don't trust either until you know what they really want. 
    There actually is regulation that requires utility companies to maintain certain reliability standards. It's part of Utility-style Regulations that allows companies to be monopolies in exchange for submitting to government oversight. It gets kind of funny - NERC is the specific entity, which was created following a huge blackout in 1965 specifically to oversee the reliable and safe distribution of electricity given that it has become such an integral part of modern life and standards of living. NERC is actually an industry leading approach - it's wasn't a government entity when it started. The government didn't start a parallel organization until ten years later (FERC). The government decided that NERC was going a good job, and in 2005 FERC made NERC the governing body and mandated that all power providers must comply with NERC - effectively making it a Federal body.

You are right, in that utilities want to restore service as quickly as they can. But you notice there's a big difference in the response time of the electric company versus the cable company. Electric company sells you power per unit (metered), and if they aren't hooked up, they aren't selling anything. There is also a safety component to it - if a high voltage line is down, that presents a public hazard that the utility company becomes liable for.

Most Telecoms now and cable companies are a set subscription - if you aren't hooked up, they don't care, they get their money anyway. They aren't nearly in as big a hurry to get you hooked back up.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibsonYashaXbartoni33
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2017
    honestly, going as a followup to my earlier post...

I don't care either way so neither decision effects me at all. Internet before 2015 was just as shitty as internet is today lol. I'm still limited to 1tb a month internet and they charge 50 dollars for every 50 gb over that.And before you say "WOW THAT IS A LOT"...no. WoW+ESO+GW2 install add up to a rather huge portion of the entire bandwidth limit (especially with 4 others in this house also using internet) due to patches and the actual game download and what not. Plus addons for WoW further take up bandwidth. Watching youtube and netflix takes up a lot of bandwidth...so 1tb gets used very easily.

Internet today/yesterday is still as shitty as it was in the past. Still limited by bandwidth lol.
    YashaX

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I don't care either way so neither decision effects me at all. Internet before 2015 was just as shitty as internet is today lol. I'm still limited to 1tb a month internet and they charge 50 dollars for every 50 gb over that.And before you say "WOW THAT IS A LOT"...no. WoW+ESO+GW2 install add up to a rather huge portion of the entire bandwidth limit (especially with 4 others in this house also using internet) due to patches and the actual game download and what not. Plus addons for WoW further take up bandwidth. Watching youtube and netflix takes up a lot of bandwidth...so 1tb gets used very easily.

Internet today/yesterday is still as shitty as it was in the past. Still limited by bandwidth lol.
    I wonder what you guys are doing wrong?

I live in rural Maple Ridge BC Canada and I get a 150mbps connection with unlimited data for $62 usd per month.

The company that supplies it currently has a monopoly in my local area.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    laserit said:

I wonder what you guys are doing wrong?

I live in rural Maple Ridge BC Canada and I get a 150mbps connection with unlimited data for $62 usd per month.

The company that supplies it currently has a monopoly in my local area.
    Dunno. We are in middle of a major city too, so not rural at all. Looking at my windows 10 network info, so far past 30 days 195 GB has been used on just my PC alone (doesn't take into account other PCs on network). 

Chrome is 67.12 GB (mostly youtube)

Bethesda.launcher (ESO) is 56gb

BDO (while I said WoW, it was just an example. I don't actually have it installed anymore got tired of it. But when I looked it was roughly 50gb of bandwidth) is 21gb

agent.exe (blizzard's launcher, I installed starcraft2+Diablo 3) is 16gb

steam is 15gb

Origin is 14gb

then it goes way down to system.exe at almost 2gb

If I installed WoW again, I'd be easily over 220gb used on just my PC alone.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

This discussion has been closed.