Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, Where Are YOU on Net Neutrality?

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,202
    *POPS CHAMPAGNE*
    MrMelGibsonTheScavengerstarstorm777
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,741
    edited December 2017
    also not a coincidence that Disney purchased a huge chunk of Fox today. a lot of things are changing fast.

also wtf The Simpsons predicted this day happening years ago.. somebody should look into the simpsons there is no way all this is coincidence. 
    TorvalMadFrenchieRidelynn
    "PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"What does it mean to be human? In a time when people's humanity is perennially called into question?"
    - Dr. Cornell West

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Torval said:
    ScotchUp said:
    ROFL, any rules Obama put into NN needs to be removed. Nothing Obama and his administration did wasn't good for #America! They are great for the #Democrats because they can ban any Conservative sites. #WakeUpAmerica
    Da fuq are you smoking my dude, cause I want some!
    He is smoking a Fox news blunt with Brietbart angel dust sprinkled in.
    Maybe he just loves Cheetos hugely bigly (very big, very huge, very important). :lol:
    Damn that low-energy Obama for going into the past and creating the legislation for NN in the 90's!

BTW reread his/her second sentence again.
    MrMelGibsonTorval

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    bartoni33 said:
    Torval said:
    ScotchUp said:
    ROFL, any rules Obama put into NN needs to be removed. Nothing Obama and his administration did wasn't good for #America! They are great for the #Democrats because they can ban any Conservative sites. #WakeUpAmerica
    Da fuq are you smoking my dude, cause I want some!
    He is smoking a Fox news blunt with Brietbart angel dust sprinkled in.
    Maybe he just loves Cheetos hugely bigly (very big, very huge, very important). :lol:
    Damn that low-energy Obama for going into the past and creating the legislation for NN in the 90's!

BTW reread his/her second sentence again.
    I haven't made it through the second sentence yet. I've titled it, "My journey through the forest of recursive negatives". :tongue:
    bartoni33MrMelGibson
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Horusra said:
    *POPS CHAMPAGNE*

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Also, I don't get it. My liberal friends were applauding Merkel for forcing Facebook to censor her political opponents because "fake news". Now suddenly they're concerned about a free and open internet? Yeah right!

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Also, I don't get it. My liberal friends were applauding Merkel for forcing Facebook to censor her political opponents because "fake news". Now suddenly they're concerned about a free and open internet? Yeah right!
    I would hope that those "political opponents" were actual honest-to-Odin goose-stepping Nazi's and not anything less. I hate Facebook and refuse to use it but I am for the right for any Antifa hipster or LARPing NatSoc to sperge out on it all they want.
    MrMelGibson

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Horusra said:
    *POPS CHAMPAGNE*
    You're short-sighted and misinformed if you're celebrating this. You'll learn though. You can be smug today. I'll be smug five years from now when we have things like this:

Gold Tier Elite Gaming from Comcast Internet (The only service provider in your area) now includes 280 minutes of Twitch data. This offer also includes 600 minutes of blazing fast speeds (1.1mbps) for World of Warcraft. Sign up today for an extra 210 Youtube minutes! All of this for an introductory price of only $39.99 a month!*

(*Subject to additional fees and taxes. This offer is only good for twitchtv.com, youtube.com, and World of Warcraft. Excludes all other sites and packages. This deal is only good for customers signing a two year contract. $59.99 after the one year introductory price. Additional charges from Twitchtv.com, Youtube.com, and World of Warcraft may apply.)

That's just the tip of the iceberg. They will also have the ability to throttle, or even stop, data from opposing political websites, or any number of websites that are not in agreement with their views. Essentially having the ability to control the entirety of data on the internet. Breitbart article criticizing the top sitcom on NBC for left wing propaganda? Comcast, which owns NBC, can't have that hurting their ratings. Let's just drop those speeds to 56k while visiting their site. After 6 months of that Breitbart will need to start putting more advertisements on their pages to make up for the lost viewership. All these new ads though use a lot more data. Essentially turning an instant pop up home page into a 2 and a half minute wait, resulting in even fewer viewers. Essentially destroying Breitbart as a news source.

I think you get the idea... Keep on celebrating though. Those of us that bother to stay informed, and think things through, will keep on fighting for you.

Tiller[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,934
    This isn't about censorship. Do you even understand or comprehend what this technical discussion is about? This is about packet preference at its core. You can't have missed QoS settings on your router. They don't give a damn whether you're an ignorant pig spouting disgusting fascist crap on the internet or the most benevolent philanthropist saving people. They care about where the packets came from and which ones are more important. That will be decided by how much people pay.

So the conservative can still post his fallacious dreams of the returning to the Golden Era and the liberal can post their fantasy of equality through progression. How well that works depends on how much more they're willing to pay and what services provide what they want.

Although since this is up to the ISP, they may not want your conservative bullshit sites and block those unless you pay a lot more. They may give free access to those hated liberal sites, or it could be completely reversed. That's the rub of it all. There are now now guidelines in place to ensure consistency and equality in service/packet access.

This has all been said before. Those who want to burn the world don't care about facts or truth. They just want to win their way. This civil deconstruction is evident in nearly aspect of our society now, and not just in the US.
    TillerMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

All the doomsayers here clutching to government's boots is funny.  The government can not run or regulate anything successfully.  You all can have faith in them I will not.  Less government the better.
    TheScavengerstarstorm777MyrdynnAsm0deusMrMelGibson
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,279
    Sounds like there are a few hurdles to overcome yet.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/14/the-fcc-just-repealed-net-neutrality-what-happens-next/

The battle is over but the war goes on ;)
    MrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,746
    Horusra said:
    All the doomsayers here clutching to government's boots is funny.  The government can not run or regulate anything successfully.  You all can have faith in them I will not.  Less government the better.
    It's remarkable that any human being could have such a narrow view of a situation like this.  "Government is bad" is just some stupid trope that's been pushed on you relentlessly for decades.  There are some things that government is good for.  It's too bad that so many folks like you don't realize that yet.
    Looking from the outside as an independent all I gotta say is, since when did the conservatives become the hippies? "It's a conspiracy maaaaan!"
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
  • starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    My cat just had kittens, not like anyone cares. :) POPS CHAMPAGNE!
    RidelynnMrMelGibson
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    It's remarkable that any human being could have such a narrow view of a situation like this.  "Government is bad" is just some stupid trope that's been pushed on you relentlessly for decades.  There are some things that government is good for.  It's too bad that so many folks like you don't realize that yet.
    Looking from the outside as an independent all I gotta say is, since when did the conservatives become the hippies? "It's a conspiracy maaaaan!"

Hippies gave in to the government long ago.  Conservatives have always believed the best place for the government is out of our lives.  Look to the libs here for Big Government.
    Horusra said:

Your government Kool-Aid must taste great.
  • mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Horusra said:
    *POPS CHAMPAGNE*

wait till it effects your gaming. You will shit bricks. Be all smug you want now.
    MrMelGibson
    edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:

Hippies gave in to the government long ago.  Conservatives have always believed the best place for the government is out of our lives.  Look to the libs here for Big Government.
    So I guess it's better to have big corporations dictate our lives? Either way for some of us you have no choice in the outcome. Look at loot boxes, you can speak with your wallet but they don't care, because someone will always be there to pick up what you aren't willing to spend.
    Asm0deusbartoni33MrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Member RarePosts: 5,484
    edited December 2017
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:

American conservatives have been openly anti-government since at least April 19, 1775. Republicans not so much.  American Liberals used to be anti-government. Democrats have never been anti-government. If you want to know what the Government is good at look in the Constitution of the United States of America where their duties and limitations are laid out. 

I've just received my internet bill what is this additional monthly charge of $2,864.79 for access fees? Oh, yeah it was all bull puckey. It's not happening. 

Title 1 of The Communications Act of 1934 contains no authority to regulate the internet. It doesn't even contain any regulations. It just lists the purpose of the act and the communications regulated. Go read it. The regulations are contained in Title  II. The internet was peripherally affected by the FCC having the authority to regulate communication carriers. That's what got Comcast in the soup for deceptive practices not violating net neutrality which has no legal basis. You'll notice cell phone providers do the same things with their data plans they just don't lie about it. Even after Obama put his nose in it nothing changed because the Title II FCC internet regulations were not authorized by Congress and wouldn't stand up in court. 

The rest of you can keep your smug condescension and virtue signaling. If you want net neutrality so bad call your congressman. 

MrMelGibson

"We have met the enemy and he is us." ~Pogo Possum. 

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,188
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

Your "corporate will save us from govment" kool aid must taste even better.
    [Deleted User]StjerneoddMrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TierlessTierless ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,377
    The loot is boxed.
    zymurgeist
    But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers, knowing no other path.
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Member RarePosts: 5,484
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

It's hilarious that you think they haven't become the same thing. 

"We have met the enemy and he is us." ~Pogo Possum. 

Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

Corporations and governments only serve one thing and that is themselves.  If either can get away with it they will screw you for money and power.  It is the people that actually have to do something about it.  Media, if we had one that worked, to get information out.  People to actually speak with their wallets. 
    zymurgeistMrMelGibson
    edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

Corporations and governments only serve one thing and that is themselves.  If either can get away with it they will screw you for money and power.  It is the people that actually have to do something about it.  Media, if we had one that worked, to get information out.  People to actually speak with their wallets. 
    So I'm guessing you will be the first to speak with your wallet, go off grid, throw out your cell phone, put up hippy solar panels for power and go down to the nice clean river and dredge up some unprotected water for drinking?
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusStjerneoddMrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2017
    The pressure should be solely focused on social media vetting the sponsored news articles they allow.

The misinformation and its effects on us are real.  The last US Presidential election proved that.  The fine line is ensuring that the posts are vetted in an unbiased manner.  It certainly complicates things, but if the status quo is "people believing obvious bullshit," then something needs to be done.

Misinformation posing as truth has also been one of the big reasons people are losing faith in news agencies in general.  That should be a huge concern for anyone.  An uninformed populace is easily fooled.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Tiller said:
    Horusra said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

So I'm guessing you will be the first to speak with your wallet, go off grid, throw out your cell phone, put up hippy solar panels for power and go down to the nice clean river and dredge up some unprotected water for drinking?
    Exactly.  I'm continually amazed by such ridiculous rhetoric. 

The world works the way it does not the way people wish it would, and the way it works is government officials are elected, corporate executives are not.
    The government hate bandwagon has been the longest running hate bandwagon in the world.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

This discussion has been closed.