Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla WoW....How would you build it ?

13»

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Long range goals: 
    - Have a full expansion ready to go.  YOU STAY LEVEL 60 ( perks not worked out yet )
    - Advertise it on day 30, execute it at day 60.... Why?.... Don't over crowed servers, more will jump in knowing this information.  Timing must be perfect to catch the power levelers. 
    - Keep it secret for shock value and double release.  

How would you do it ?
    That's a horrible idea.

You deal with crowded servers by adding servers and you don't spend resources on an expansion until vanilla is finished
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Long range goals: 
    - Have a full expansion ready to go.  YOU STAY LEVEL 60 ( perks not worked out yet )
    - Advertise it on day 30, execute it at day 60.... Why?.... Don't over crowed servers, more will jump in knowing this information.  Timing must be perfect to catch the power levelers. 

How would you do it ?
    That's a horrible idea.

You deal with crowded servers by adding servers and you don't spend resources on an expansion until vanilla is finished
    I have to disagree with adding servers to deal with crowded servers, unless you are using an overflow system that allows you to play and do quest while waiting to get into your normal server or a mega-server tech where everyone is on the same server anyway.  The reason I say that is the long list of games that did just that and ended up with a ton of ghost servers that they ended up merging later, which normally just screws up things, players having to rename characters even though they may have been first one with the name ect....
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2017
    k61977 said:

Long range goals: 

How would you do it ?
    That's a horrible idea.

I have to disagree with adding servers to deal with crowded servers, unless you are using an overflow system that allows you to play and do quest while waiting to get into your normal server or a mega-server tech where everyone is on the same server anyway.  The reason I say that is the long list of games that did just that and ended up with a ton of ghost servers that they ended up merging later, which normally just screws up things, players having to rename characters even though they may have been first one with the name ect....

Never Mega-server..... Never LFD tool..... Both have the same negative effect.  Both would be an instant down hill slide. 

Sure, over crowded servers is a problem but no mega servers ever.  Merging servers later on is the only answer.  

Sure, finding people is a problem but no LFD tool ever.  Encourage players to use the "social panel" to search players out, it works flawless. 

DayBreak (SOE or who ever) decided to hype a EverQuest 2 Time Lock Server.  Many including me assumed it would be a vanilla server.... It was anything but that ! 

First, the game was loaded with new zones, easy game play and worst of all Mega-server.  I had to bounce between several servers trying to find a group for low level content, TALKING ABOUT DISJOINTED !... Who, What, Where !  

With this, I tend to agree.  Keep Vanilla WoW, Vanilla.
    k61977 said:

Long range goals: 

How would you do it ?
    That's a horrible idea.

Never Mega-server..... Never LFD tool..... Both have the same negative effect.  Both would be an instant down hill slide. 

Sure, over crowded servers is a problem but no mega servers ever.  Merging servers later on is the only answer.  

Sure, finding people is a problem but no LFD tool ever.  Encourage players to use the "social panel" to search players out, it works flawless. 

SOE decided to hype a EverQuest 2 Time Lock Server.  Many including me assumed it would be a vanilla server.... It was anything but that ! 

First, the game was loaded with new zones, easy game play and worst of all Mega-server.  I had to bounce between several servers trying to find a group for low level content, TALKING ABOUT DISJOINTED !... Who, What, Where !  

Megaserver isn't necessarily "shards" which is what you are describing.  In a true megaserver which we have the tech for now everyone is on the same shard, there is no hoping around to find players because everyone is on the same one.  But yes I agree shard hopping on the ones that split up the player base can be a pain, but rather have that then everyone split up between 20 servers also.  Merging is never the correct answer, it ruins the communities on most every game I have ever played, because you get that server that had a bunch of pricks which is why everyone left it added to your server.

Now as far as the LF tool. I prefer it over having 100's of people all shouting LFblah,blah,blah in general chat.  I normally block those people if I see it more than once in 2 or 3 mins.  I don't mind people doing it a couple times here or there but when you can't read anything but LF...scrolling over and over it gets old fast.  Almost as bad as people using general chat to try and sell their overpriced goods.  Those tools also help the players that have social anxiety find groups and enjoy the game.

Overall though again if you are making a vanilla server is should be just that with nothing changed, with that I think we agree.

k61977 said:
    k61977 said:

Long range goals: 

How would you do it ?
    That's a horrible idea.

SOE decided to hype a EverQuest 2 Time Lock Server.  Many including me assumed it would be a vanilla server.... It was anything but that ! 

Megaserver isn't necessarily "shards" which is what you are describing.  In a true megaserver which we have the tech for now everyone is on the same shard, there is no hoping around to find players because everyone is on the same one.  But yes I agree shard hopping on the ones that split up the player base can be a pain, but rather have that then everyone split up between 20 servers also.  Merging is never the correct answer, it ruins the communities on most every game I have ever played, because you get that server that had a bunch of pricks which is why everyone left it added to your server.

Now as far as the LF tool. I prefer it over having 100's of people all shouting LFblah,blah,blah in general chat.  I normally block those people if I see it more than once in 2 or 3 mins.  I don't mind people doing it a couple times here or there but when you can't read anything but LF...scrolling over and over it gets old fast.  Almost as bad as people using general chat to try and sell their overpriced goods.  Those tools also help the players that have social anxiety find groups and enjoy the game.

Overall though again if you are making a vanilla server is should be just that with nothing changed, with that I think we agree.

LF tool ?.....No never

I'm all for not spamming open chat for players.  IT DOES NOT WORK, players of all mmos decided this on their own like mass hysteria ! 

EVERY MMO has a "search panel".  Everyone has built in filters to be creative for searches.  A lot of time has been put into this flawless feature.  Developers give us this perfect feature, yet it sits with no encouragement to use it..... It's up to developers, no single person could launch a crusade to get the word out. 
    k61977 said:
    k61977 said:

Long range goals: 

How would you do it ?
    That's a horrible idea.

LF tool ?.....No never

I'm all for not spamming open chat for players.  IT DOES NOT WORK, players of all mmos decided this on their own like mass hysteria ! 

EVERY MMO has a "search panel".  Everyone has built in filters to be creative for searches.  A lot of time has been put into this flawless feature.  Developers give us this perfect feature, yet it sits with no encouragement to use it..... It's up to developers, no single person could launch a crusade to get the word out. 
    Basically you kinda contradict yourself a little bit because of WoW. LF tool like the one in WoW for mythics/normal raids isn't OK?  It basically allows you to create a LF group which others search through and can whisper to join or auto join depending on how you set it up.  I can understand not wanting the basic random LF group, but the searchable one is a must have for any game coming out now for me to even consider it.    
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    k61977 said:
    Basically you kinda contradict yourself a little bit because of WoW. LF tool like the one in WoW for mythics/normal raids isn't OK?  It basically allows you to create a LF group which others search through and can whisper to join or auto join depending on how you set it up.  I can understand not wanting the basic random LF group, but the searchable one is a must have for any game coming out now for me to even consider it.    
    The whole thing there is rather moot unless they nerf the raiding difficulty a lot, I doubt many PUGs could beat a vanilla 40 man raid. You need to coordinate a raid like that rather heavy even if you actually get people who know what they are doing. Noone would use the LFG tool after failing a couple of raids except possible to fill the last spot in emergency.

A dungeon group finder would be more useful but I rather have a LFG chat window instead.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Loke666 said:
    k61977 said:
    The whole thing there is rather moot unless they nerf the raiding difficulty a lot, I doubt many PUGs could beat a vanilla 40 man raid. You need to coordinate a raid like that rather heavy even if you actually get people who know what they are doing. Noone would use the LFG tool after failing a couple of raids except possible to fill the last spot in emergency.

A dungeon group finder would be more useful but I rather have a LFG chat window instead.
    You are correct,  if they really intend to keep it vanilla, PUG raiding at the 40 man level shouldn't be happening.

Find or create a proper raiding guild of about 50 to 65 player who all can play in the same 4 to 5 hour time slot, 4 to 5 days a week.

That's what vanilla is all about.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited December 2017
    I would actually love if Blizzard decided to give non-raid content of "raid" difficulty for those not able (or not willing) to have a raiding schedule. Some of the quests for dungeon 2 sets were very well thought out (45 min. baron run for example), something along those lines would be great...
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Loke666 said:
    k61977 said:

You are correct,  if they really intend to keep it vanilla, PUG raiding at the 40 man level shouldn't be happening.

Find or create a proper raiding guild of about 50 to 65 player who all can play in the same 4 to 5 hour time slot, 4 to 5 days a week.

That's what vanilla is all about.

I'm not sure most people realize that. Blizzard devs in person back then admitted only a tiny portion of the player base were raiding at all. Less than 2% actually ever saw Naxxramas, and that's just entering the instance, not clearing it.

Most of those "ZOMG Vanilla I want it !" folks will most likely never see it either, unless Blizzard makes changes to accommodate with people who have a life outside of video games. But we don't want that right? We want vanilla! We don't care if the server will be a ghost town after a few months... ;)

Will Vanilla WoW be a ghost town ?  
    This could be a hard one to guess... lots of pros and cons

I've been playing on private servers for about 5 years. Three different ones.  One closed because the second one was too popular, the second popular one closed because Blizzard shut it down. The most recent one is packed solid, with many many servers.  

Now.... none of this would prove anything  

- Thousands of "us here" know about private servers but millions don't and miss Vanilla 
    - Everyone does know about private servers and tired of Vanilla 
    - Private servers are free, that could be the attraction 
    - With Vanilla cap at 60, longevity is a huge variable 
       * Power and speed leveling vets 
       * Slow leveling vets 
       * Power and speed leveling new players 
       * Slow leveling new players 
       * Replay ability because of opposing faction and classes 
       * Sticking with new friends and guilds 
       * Simply too slow for many modern players  
    - Depending on payment model, it could be huge difference, causing way more variables.  In other words "pay one monthly price and get it all" could cause EVERYONE TO TRY IT, this could be scary for servers.  Huge server population swings all the time. 
    - Millions don't care about vanilla
    - Add ten more, of your own 
    - Add twenty more that no one could guess  

I'm not sure what the plan is..... I'm not sure of future promises being made.... I would suggest Blizzard leaves the future open depending on so many variables. 

One thing, for sure.  Blizzard will do what they feel and no one could suggest anything.  It took years for a Vanilla.  This decision is based off money, profit, and cause and effect of existing retail.  Not simply give the players what they want.  

My honest opinion ?.........It's a good move for profit,  But can't even imagine the future, I have no idea !  
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • PowermikePowermike Member UncommonPosts: 12
    -Have it as it was. No need to clear the bugs, rather improve the environment.
    -Make it interesting to roam the world. Like, make achievements that you can take to the current game. 1) rare spawn achievements. Make them difficult. 2) world PvP achievements. 3) dungeon and raid achievements 4) quest achievements 5) maybe RP achievements. Etc. Don't add them to vanilla because that's the wrong idea imo, add them to the current game imo.
    -make memorable spots like, add signs where you can watch YouTube videos.
    -perhaps instanced housing. I like the homes in the major cities.
    -More emotes maybe.
    Powermike said:
    -Have it as it was. No need to clear the bugs, rather improve the environment.
    -Make it interesting to roam the world. Like, make achievements that you can take to the current game. 1) rare spawn achievements. Make them difficult. 2) world PvP achievements. 3) dungeon and raid achievements 4) quest achievements 5) maybe RP achievements. Etc. Don't add them to vanilla because that's the wrong idea imo, add them to the current game imo.
    -make memorable spots like, add signs where you can watch YouTube videos.
    -perhaps instanced housing. I like the homes in the major cities.
    -More emotes maybe.

- Fixing bugs is a must, Blizzard is big on their reputation. 
    - Achievements, too much work time and effort, for little desire by players.
    - Instanced housing only if Blizzard plans on really pushing Vanilla WoW.  I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I don't think they care that much.
  • tr3techtr3tech Member CommonPosts: 5
    what is that mean???i don't get it
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    nonononono. you guys asked for VANILLA. now you get VANILLA.

that means no raids, no bg, no pvp unless you fight in open worlds.
    uh, and your only dungeon? have a guess, maraudon :)

now hf playing your vanilla game. uh, and mind those stunlocking rogues and porting palies

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Thane said:
    nonononono. you guys asked for VANILLA. now you get VANILLA.

that means no raids, no bg, no pvp unless you fight in open worlds.
    uh, and your only dungeon? have a guess, maraudon :)

now hf playing your vanilla game. uh, and mind those stunlocking rogues and porting palies

I've got an anger meter and I'm reading a level 4 on the scale when you think about Vanilla WoW.  

Only kidding, just having fun :)
  • pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Just release it with patch 1.12 without pvp battlegrounds, and without some 40 men raid, these last ones they could add in future content. Bring world pvp back, and would be nice some full loot pvp server
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Exactly as it started, no different. No battleground and use the same time table they used to add content. 
    Surely players will run out of stuff to do?
  • mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    1.12.1 to start (or there abouts).  What I'd like to know is, if they are planning on rebuilding Classic with new engine / graphics?  If not, why is it taking so long?  They already have the unchanged version as well as server details in hand.  If they are redesigning it with new engine / graphics - then ok (and imo, that would be better).  I just want a non-faceroll WoW.