Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GOG Winter Sale

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
  Wow thats a nice sale going on .. some really great games at nice prices there ...

https://www.gog.com/

laseritMrMelGibsonPo_ggOctagon7711

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Torval said:
    It is a pretty good sale. Here are some of the good parts and perks...

1. Free copy of Grim Fandango

2. Steam Connect - Check out the Steam Connect as number of titles seems to have been increased.

3. Spend $15 and get a copy of Hard West for free.

4. Spend $40 and get Master of Orion (base game) for free.

5. Game "Star" loot crates. From GoG's website: "[How it works] In short: every Star costs $3 (or your local equivalent) and contains a Mystery Game currently available in The Winter Sale for at least $3.29, up to $20.09. This means each Mystery Game is worth more than the cost of a Star and you're always getting a safe deal."
    Thanks for this list!  I got my free copy of Grim Fandango  :)
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    D&D bundle is great, I'd add the M&M bundle (Might & Magic, not the sweets :wink: ) and Heroes (of M&M) bundle too, those are on a great price too.

Those who prefer the Star-way of "hit me with some random game I don't have yet", there's a tracking thread about the games on the list: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/star_tracking_thread_2017/page1
    MrMelGibson
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    The thing about gog sales is they really are only for young people or people without discerning taste.  I would have said young people only but people I know to be about my age still state they have a backlog of games to play.  This would only be possible if someone somehow hasn't refined their taste after decades of trial and few errors.  I really wish I could find some plentiful source of games I am interested in.  I envy these people.  

I remember going to EB when I was young and there were tons of games I wanted to play, and 90% (if not more) of the store was PC games or PC related.  Its kind of weird thinking that games where actually more expensive back then.  I don't remember them having sales and it took lots of new technology to drop the prices on outdated games.  I had to spend $50 or so for pretty much every game - new, old, small dev team, large, whatever.  If it was a game made for the PC it was going to cost $50, with no returns at all (due to piracy) and a total crap shot on if it was good or not.  

And this is where I regale you with tails of walking 50 miles through battle zones to school. And spending years in my science lab to make a working boot disk.  And hard disks louder than airplane engines.  Back when rock and roll was men dressed as women yelling nonsense.  We didn't need your damn hippy sales back then.  Sorry for wasting your time with this useless post.
    GorweSovrathKyleran
    edited December 2017
    blamo2000 said:
    The thing about gog sales is they really are only for young people or people without discerning taste.
    Missed a couple groups from that list, I just add the one I'm in ( :smiley: ), the people with nostalgia goggles.

Since they launched gog I'm there, mainly for that reason only (on the side I support them for promoting the drm-free viewpoint too), for the good old games. I'm not some steamy punk kid with hundreds of games on the list (no offense, Gorwe :wink: ), I only buy games I play.
    At launch I strictly bought games I already had, either because the floppies were unreadable, or the cd was scratched beyond proper reading.
    Then I moved on buying games as backup (so where the actual disk was still working, but it seemed a good move to keep a digital copy as well).
    Then moved even further and buying games I either lost or even missed in the first place (Freddie Pharkas, Kyrandia's third game, etc.).

I could count on one hand the games on my virtual shelf which weren't "good old games", during the first few years. Now it's a bit different, since the indie scene took off, and there are numerous amazing adventure games (from Wadjet and Daedelic for example), Ragnar's Dreamfall Chapters was released there too, and a few interesting releases like Shadwen (where the more people tried the free demo version, the more discount the game got at release, a really cool idea).

Still, the vast majority of my gog games are old, going back till the '80s even. For me gog is the place to show some support for my old games, instead of turning to an abandonware collecting site. Spending a few bucks on an old classic, totally worth it for me :wink:
  • k4tek4te Member CommonPosts: 11
    The sale's pretty good. Neptunia, Starwars I/II and The Witcher GOTY caught my eye. I didn't know GOG had special promotions, seems like I'll try GOG this year. 
    Just a bump, there's a new giveaway during the sales, so go and grab your free Oxen.
    Or maybe Oxenfree.
    One of those two :sunglasses:
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711AlBQuirky
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They do have good sales.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey