Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-Alpha Starts Today!

GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
Can't wait to hear some "rumors". 

Seriously, looking forward to some of the next streams.
SovrathConstantineMerusSnackMasterB

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    what an absurd price to get into pre alpha
    LeFantomeSnackMasterBThunder073
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Raxeon said:
    That is not the "price" to get into pre alpha, its a reward being given to high level level backers.

Someone has to be first,  might as well be them.

Gyva02PottedPlant22delete5230SiugKilsinjimmywolfSovrathdcutbi001Kiori001[Deleted User]and 4 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    If you're paying for top tier packages just to play the game, you're doing it wrong.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]LeFantomePottedPlant22SiugKilsinjimmywolfd_20dcutbi001ConstantineMerusand 13 others.

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Raxeon said:

and they used to pay people to test their game.  How stupid customers can be............
    TillerDullahanjimmywolfd_20dcutbi001KyleranbentrimJunglecharlySnackMasterBglakunsand 4 others.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I'm just tired of all of this 'pre-alpha' stuff. What exactly is pre-alpha? Alpha is supposed to be the first phase of playable game development.
    d_20IselinNildenJunglecharlySnackMasterBglakunschocolate42069RimefangHachlathEnikand 5 others.
    mcrippins said:
    I'm just tired of all of this 'pre-alpha' stuff. What exactly is pre-alpha? Alpha is supposed to be the first phase of playable game development.
    It's a state before alpha testing, especially when only a smaller portion of the game is actually ready to test. It will probably also allow them to iron out the wrinkles that would prevent people from actually testing the game. Things like login issues, patcher issues, character creation and a lot of the other basics that a crowdfunded studio cannot afford to pay people to test.

Once those things are fixed and enough content exists to test, they will probably begin a more traditional alpha testing phase.
    PottedPlant22ravenshroudsomeforumguyThunder073

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    So which one of you is in the pre-alpha?
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    There is a NDA, and it is thick as the eyes can see. So you won't be hearing much from Pre-Alpha. 
    Kilsindcutbi001SnackMasterBglakunschocolate42069
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    I call this the pre-payment phase, because its before my first payment.  Will be looking forward to post-payment as soon as they set a date.
    BloodDiimondravenshroudPingu2012someforumguy
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Rhoklaw said:
    LeFantome said:
    Raxeon said:

and they used to pay people to test their game.  How stupid customers can be............
    I don't view this tier as "customers" but rather small time investors. More like game enthusiasts who are tired of the same crap MMOs put out by AAA companies, year after year after year. I guess people who keep buying rehashed content with a different label aren't stupid?
    I just don't understand why this isn't clear.

Someone gives 1000+ dollars to help develop the game why wouldn't they be given access to pre-Alpha/Alpah?

[Deleted User]Kiori001bentrimTwystedWizSnackMasterBSiugInkedbettiegamingThunder073LackingMMO
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Sorry I dont buy my way in to test games, especially pre alpha
    bentrimTamanousPhoebesravenshroudHachlathMoehawk818
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Hats off to those able to test the game at this juncture. I hope you all do a good job and help make the game as bug free as possible.

Honestly, I could afford the $1,000. It's the resulting divorce I can't afford once my wife discovered I did it.   :'(
    dcutbi001Kiori001TalonsinGyva02forcelimaGeekyMrMelGibsonWaan[Deleted User]SnackMasterBand 9 others.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Question:

Have there been any recent pre-launch testing periods where the test characters were actually removed upon release?

My impression is that entirely too many players are simply using the alpha, beta, whatever testing phase as an early launch, and the game companies are entirely okay with that.  They are more worried about establishing their characters and getting them progressed than actually finding and reporting issues.  Without a server wipe, is this really a test, or merely allowing paying players to romp around before the game is finished?  What, if anything, will VR be doing to ensure that the testers are actually testing?

For the record, I hope that the people who have chosen to pay for this pre-alpha access are committed to testing, and not just playing the game early.
    SnackMasterB

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Question:

Have there been any recent pre-launch testing periods where the test characters were actually removed upon release?

My impression is that entirely too many players are simply using the alpha, beta, whatever testing phase as an early launch, and the game companies are entirely okay with that.  They are more worried about establishing their characters and getting them progressed than actually finding and reporting issues.  Without a server wipe, is this really a test, or merely allowing paying players to romp around before the game is finished?  What, if anything, will VR be doing to ensure that the testers are actually testing?

For the record, I hope that the people who have chosen to pay for this pre-alpha access are committed to testing, and not just playing the game early.
    They've said openly this will be very traditional game testing. People will be playing at specific times, testing specific things, and characters will not persist after launch.

If they were to do some sort of early access right before launch, that would be something different entirely. This is actually testing.
    [Deleted User]Kiori001Kilsindcutbi001glakuns

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Mendel said:
    Question:

There are few, if any, games that don't wipe before launch. Some games allow a headstart period, but that isn't the same thing. People who are in a pre-alpha are testing individual systems. In a lot of cases, there isn't that much to test, and the testing itself isn't always fun.

I have been testing Crowfall since the beginning of Pre-Alpha and I can tell you that there are a lot of people dedicated to testing who have made a large contribution to helping the game succeed. No, not everyone cares about testing. Some just want to play the game, but they don't get to keep anything. Gear and inventory is regularly wiped. Skills have been wiped once and will be wiped again before soft launch. The only advantage testers get is that they know more about the game than someone who starts playing at launch.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kumapon said:
    There is a NDA, and it is thick as the eyes can see. So you won't be hearing much from Pre-Alpha. 
    Probably a bit easier to control NDA leaks if those give access have $1K plus on the line should they get caught breaking it.
    BruceYeeAmatheMrMelGibsonGeekyglakuns

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    LeFantome said:
    Raxeon said:

I don't view this tier as "customers" but rather small time investors. More like game enthusiasts who are tired of the same crap MMOs put out by AAA companies, year after year after year. I guess people who keep buying rehashed content with a different label aren't stupid?

Someone gives 1000+ dollars to help develop the game why wouldn't they be given access to pre-Alpha/Alpah?

because we all used to get pre-alpha access for free before crowdfunding, don't you remember those good ol' times mate? ;)
    KyleranSovrath
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    So which one of you is in the pre-alpha?
    I signed up about a year and a half ago for whatever the lowest package was at the time but doubt ill get anything until maybe early next year. Not even sure id want to join just yet tbh. Im all for testing and plan to report as much as I find but ill let others handle the hot mess this first release has got to be out the gate.

Plenty of thongs to entertain myself with the rest of the year.

MrMelGibson
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Rhoklaw said:
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    LeFantome said:
    Raxeon said:

because we all used to get pre-alpha access for free before crowdfunding, don't you remember those good ol' times mate? ;)
    What I remember was...

1 - Developers paid people to test their games
    2 - Developers paid for alpha testers and gave access to public for beta testing ( not paid )
    3 - Developers paid for alpha testers and sold beta access to the public ( developers get paid )
    4 - Developers paid staff for testing and sold pre alpha, alpha and beta access to public in tiered packages ( developers get paid )

The reason for the change? More independent developers trying to steer clear of AAA suits. Hoping to make a game the way they want. This is EXACTLY what George Lucas went through when making the Star Wars movies. Instead of dealing with AAA game publishers, he dealt with AAA movie companies and producers. When no one would support his movie idea, he was actually relieved albeit financially unable to produce his movie till he found someone willing to support his endeavor.

Crowdfunded games are on a razor blade. Instead of having to deal with AAA suits, they must deal with angry customers and public reviews. They also don't have access to tons of capital to move development along at a steady pace. Developments are usually much slower, hence SC still sitting in alpha after 5 years. Thankfully, Pantheon is going a much simpler traditional old school high fantasy MMO approach, trying to appeal to a specific target of the player community that are looking for exactly that kind of MMO.

It's THOSE players who are supporting the game, paying $1000 or more. It is THOSE players who WANT the game to succeed. This has nothing to do with acquiring early access. That is just a perk from the company as a reward and a way to say thank you. It is now THOSE player's responsibility to make use of said access to help said developers to test the game so that it can move forward in development a little faster.

Pre alpha in Pantheon is NOT, I repeat is NOT early access. These are not Founder's packages. These are small time game enthusiasts who merely want to help support a game that THEY want to succeed.
    Insightful but I was being sarcastic while agreeing with Sovrath. 
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Amathe said:
    Hats off to those able to test the game at this juncture. I hope you all do a good job and help make the game as bug free as possible.

Honestly, I could afford the $1,000. It's the resulting divorce I can't afford once my wife discovered I did it.   :'(
    I was actually upfront with my wife. I asked her if I could spend 1000 bucks on this cool game. But she gave me the dirtiest look, and told me we would be going our separate ways after Christmas. 

Man life just isn't fair...:( 
    DullahanMrMelGibsonAmatheglakuns
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited December 2017
    They've said openly this will be very traditional game testing. People will be playing at specific times, testing specific things, and characters will not persist after launch.

If they were to do some sort of early access right before launch, that would be something different entirely. This is actually testing.
    Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470323/pre-alpha-starts-today#IpQHuisZZsX9tFz4.99       Honestly Dullahan, this is why game cos. charge for PA. Because people like you justify it." A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED" This can NOT be any more accurate. Devs are getting 50 times the amount of money they used to get on FULL release, in PA. Cant blame them. But until people STOP being stupid with their funds, gaming cos. will continue to bleed them to death. And we will keep getting INFERIOR games in the process, and ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE  OF ANYTHING, GAME INCLUDED. 
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Rhoklaw said:
    Sovrath said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    LeFantome said:
    Raxeon said:

What I remember was...

1 - Developers paid people to test their games
    2 - Developers paid for alpha testers and gave access to public for beta testing ( not paid )
    3 - Developers paid for alpha testers and sold beta access to the public ( developers get paid )
    4 - Developers paid staff for testing and sold pre alpha, alpha and beta access to public in tiered packages ( developers get paid )

The reason for the change? More independent developers trying to steer clear of AAA suits. Hoping to make a game the way they want. This is EXACTLY what George Lucas went through when making the Star Wars movies. Instead of dealing with AAA game publishers, he dealt with AAA movie companies and producers. When no one would support his movie idea, he was actually relieved albeit financially unable to produce his movie till he found someone willing to support his endeavor.

Crowdfunded games are on a razor blade. Instead of having to deal with AAA suits, they must deal with angry customers and public reviews. They also don't have access to tons of capital to move development along at a steady pace. Developments are usually much slower, hence SC still sitting in alpha after 5 years. Thankfully, Pantheon is going a much simpler traditional old school high fantasy MMO approach, trying to appeal to a specific target of the player community that are looking for exactly that kind of MMO.

It's THOSE players who are supporting the game, paying $1000 or more. It is THOSE players who WANT the game to succeed. This has nothing to do with acquiring early access. That is just a perk from the company as a reward and a way to say thank you. It is now THOSE player's responsibility to make use of said access to help said developers to test the game so that it can move forward in development a little faster.

Pre alpha in Pantheon is NOT, I repeat is NOT early access. These are not Founder's packages. These are small time game enthusiasts who merely want to help support a game that THEY want to succeed.
    I agree with most all of it excep the bit about SC being in the category of "slow because they are a poor crowdfunded developer".  How many millions have they sucked in now?  Certainly more than enough for everything they have promised, and more, by now.
    [Deleted User]
    bentrim said:

Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470323/pre-alpha-starts-today#IpQHuisZZsX9tFz4.99       Honestly Dullahan, this is why game cos. charge for PA. Because people like you justify it." A FOOL AND HIS MONEY ARE SOON PARTED" This can NOT be any more accurate. Devs are getting 50 times the amount of money they used to get on FULL release, in PA. Cant blame them. But until people STOP being stupid with their funds, gaming cos. will continue to bleed them to death. And we will keep getting INFERIOR games in the process, and ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEE  OF ANYTHING, GAME INCLUDED. 
    Times have changed. Your expectations need to be updated accordingly. This isn't some big corporate studio nickle and diming you. It's a group of small indie developers trying to make something no one else is offering.

If we weren't supporting this project, it wouldn't exist. Maybe that is okay to you, but some of us would rather help make it a reality. People give their money for all kinds of entertainment and causes, not the least of which are streamers. Why should this be any different?
    TwystedWizPottedPlant22JemAs666[Deleted User]glakuns

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Mendel said:
    Question:

Impressions are not facts.  Research VR's position on early start for ROtF.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Mendel said:
    Question:

Yes! I believe Lord of the Rings Online characters were wiped. I "think" World of Warcraft characters were wiped as I was in a beta and the character was gone at launch (not that I played it a lot at launch ... when I could get in). I believe also Aion.

I think Archlord characters were wiped. Well, let's just say I played several mmorpg's pre launch were the characters were wiped. Then, slowly, some companies made it so that if you paid for Beta access you could keep your character at launch.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo