Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hideo Kojima on Game Development time

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    SC hasn't fully launched not because its incomplete, but because CR saw how good it feels to make so much money selling concept art. When they stop making money then they will release the game to a different audience for more money.

Just my opinion. Its hard not to think thats what they are doing with SC.
    If Chris Roberts only cares about "how good it feels to make so much money selling concept art" why did he opened 4 Studios and employ's 400+ people around the world?

Couldn't he just license the work to chinese artists that charge way less than USA/EU artists? :D

Why the heck is he spending time and money re-doing old ship's to make them better quality when he already sold them before? Shouldn't he "waste" that time doing more concept art to sell fresh?

Why is he modelling these ship's in 3D and adding damage states, cargo, interact-able turrets, doors, cockpits and what not? Shouldn't he just do the "outside" of them just like all the other games do?

Damn these Roberst guy must be the worst scam artist there is, dumb mofo could have launched a half asset basic phew phew game in space and keep all that money, instead he just keeps on building it bigger and better. Worst Scam Artist Ever.  :D
    It could be he enjoys the power of it all.  He could have opened an office at one location and did everything from there but it's more fun flying to different countries and micromanaging as much as the budget can handle.  You give someone millions of dollars with little accountability and see what happens.

One problem with multiple offices working on the same project at different locations is that everyone works differently and at the end of the day it's a lot harder to make everything work the way it's supposed to when it's coming from hundreds of people with different backgrounds in different parts of the word.  Which is why forming a global creative company is not something most businesses starting out for the fist time jump into right away.

IMO.
    Nah he really couldn't, he went where the talent was. Game Dev is a very small, competitive and fast burning industry. Getting talent in the US is extremely hard and expensive compared with Europe and ofc Eastern Countries / Asia. 

He's not flying across the world leaving family (kids) behind for weeks because he "enjoys micromanaging". UK office opened because his brother already had a team there who agreed to join the project, German Studio opened there because a big pool of Crytek talent became available there.

It's less expensive to open studios there (Europe) and get talent over there than in the US.

Yes organizing everything to run smooth is hard work but as time goes they get more and more oiled up and the fact that they have people working in different timezones allows for that 24h work.

CIG and Star Citizen is not like "most business starting". The community ensured that they have the capacity to scale up and push their efforts to make the game they all dream.

Grakulen said:
    He has earned the right to take as much time as he wants.
    Exactly, Same as Chris Roberts.

Lol at Chris Roberts earning the right to take as much time as he wants. We've all seen how that ends up with his past game studio. Chris Roberts is only good when he has someone standing over his shoulder and slapping him when his ADHD kicks in
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    SC hasn't fully launched not because its incomplete, but because CR saw how good it feels to make so much money selling concept art. When they stop making money then they will release the game to a different audience for more money.

If Chris Roberts only cares about "how good it feels to make so much money selling concept art" why did he opened 4 Studios and employ's 400+ people around the world?

Couldn't he just license the work to chinese artists that charge way less than USA/EU artists? :D

Why the heck is he spending time and money re-doing old ship's to make them better quality when he already sold them before? Shouldn't he "waste" that time doing more concept art to sell fresh?

Why is he modelling these ship's in 3D and adding damage states, cargo, interact-able turrets, doors, cockpits and what not? Shouldn't he just do the "outside" of them just like all the other games do?

Damn these Roberst guy must be the worst scam artist there is, dumb mofo could have launched a half asset basic phew phew game in space and keep all that money, instead he just keeps on building it bigger and better. Worst Scam Artist Ever.  :D
    It could be he enjoys the power of it all.  He could have opened an office at one location and did everything from there but it's more fun flying to different countries and micromanaging as much as the budget can handle.  You give someone millions of dollars with little accountability and see what happens.

One problem with multiple offices working on the same project at different locations is that everyone works differently and at the end of the day it's a lot harder to make everything work the way it's supposed to when it's coming from hundreds of people with different backgrounds in different parts of the word.  Which is why forming a global creative company is not something most businesses starting out for the fist time jump into right away.

IMO.
    Nah he really couldn't, he went where the talent was. Game Dev is a very small, competitive and fast burning industry. Getting talent in the US is extremely hard and expensive compared with Europe and ofc Eastern Countries / Asia. 

He's not flying across the world leaving family (kids) behind for weeks because he "enjoys micromanaging". UK office opened because his brother already had a team there who agreed to join the project, German Studio opened there because a big pool of Crytek talent became available there.

It's less expensive to open studios there (Europe) and get talent over there than in the US.

Yes organizing everything to run smooth is hard work but as time goes they get more and more oiled up and the fact that they have people working in different timezones allows for that 24h work.

CIG and Star Citizen is not like "most business starting". The community ensured that they have the capacity to scale up and push their efforts to make the game they all dream.

Grakulen said:

Lol at Chris Roberts earning the right to take as much time as he wants. We've all seen how that ends up with his past game studio. Chris Roberts is only good when he has someone standing over his shoulder and slapping him when his ADHD kicks in
    Whatever helps you sleep at night! B)
    Babuinix said:
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

IMO.

Grakulen said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night! B)
    Can't refute the point so you try that eh? Oh well anyone without blinders on can see how he managed his old company
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:
    Wait,  what? Earned the "right?" How do you figure that?
    I get Grakulen's point: Kojima has traditional funding backing his endeavor and he has a large track record of successful games.

If the suits backing him and checking his budgets and reports twice don't see a red flag worth pulling the plug over, I'm not sure how a consumer could think otherwise.  That's not knocking anyone, but the publisher will have more information than almost any consumer to make prudent financial decisions regarding his project.

Even if the consumer does...  Well, if the project shits the bed, the consumers are out nothing.

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited December 2017

oops, think I must have posted this in the wrong place. Isn't it great what Crowdfunding can do though?

Lets hear it for crowdfunding!

Hip HIP!
    Orinori said:

oops, think I must have posted this in the wrong place. Isn't it great what Crowdfunding can do though?

Lets hear it for crowdfunding!

Hip HIP!
    Looks like you lost one of your cheerleaders 
    WalkinGlenn
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:
    I get Grakulen's point: Kojima has traditional funding backing his endeavor and he has a large track record of successful games.

If the suits backing him and checking his budgets and reports twice don't see a red flag worth pulling the plug over, I'm not sure how a consumer could think otherwise.  That's not knocking anyone, but the publisher will have more information than almost any consumer to make prudent financial decisions regarding his project.

Even if the consumer does...  Well, if the project shits the bed, the consumers are out nothing.
    I misunderstood who was being referred to, thought Grak meant CR.

Not really familiar with the other guy,  what MMORPG did he deliver again? 

;)
    OrinoriMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:

;)

Even if if it was CR, I would make the argument that CR has earned the right more than anyone being that he's managed to raise 150+ million, lol. Like what does Kojima have to do? "Hi! I'm Kojima! Give me money!!"

Also, just for the record, I'd like to point out that I was the first to point out that there was waaaaaay more monetization opportunities when everyone was talking about "when the pixel ships money dries up"

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited December 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

Even if if it was CR, I would make the argument that CR has earned the right more than anyone being that he's managed to raise 150+ million, lol. Like what does Kojima have to do? "Hi! I'm Kojima! Give me money!!"

A little more than 150, seems people want to fund Chris Roberts $173,000,000! can you imagine people loving you that much and having THAT much faith in your past and present work that people just say 'here man take the money, take as long as you need'! Awesome guy. 

Me personally I remember owning an Atari ST and seeing someone showing Wing Commander. I wept inside for a very long time. Still very powerful memories and knowing what a Chris Roberts title means <3
    CrazKanuk
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

A little more than 150, seems people want to fund Chris Roberts $173,000,000! can you imagine people loving you that much and having THAT much faith in your past and present work that people just say 'here man take the money, take as long as you need'! Awesome guy. 

Me personally I remember owning an Atari ST and seeing someone showing Wing Commander. I wept inside for a very long time. Still very powerful memories and knowing what a Chris Roberts title means <3
    It is an inexplicable phenomenon with no end in sight, but I wonder if anyone remembers the story of the Pinball Wizard?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

It is an inexplicable phenomenon with no end in sight, but I wonder if anyone remembers the story of the Pinball Wizard?
    He's got crazy flipper fingers?

Kyleran
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Yea, but didn't you say you only paid $35?  Meanwhile the average star citizen, even when factoring in the free ones, paid $85.  Now Star Citizen needs money to pay for a huge lawsuit so where are you?  Why is your faith not making you donate more when they need you?

Quoteth the dark side of the force:  Your lack of faith is disturbing.
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:

;)
    Well Kojima's new title is a survival horror featuring Norman Reedus's likeness.

One of the reason for the delays is that it was originally supposed to be a Silent Hill title, but that plan fell through and he's reusing assets he created for that for the new project.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Kyleran said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Tommy? How does it end. All I know is the song and he gets handed a crown.

Also there's a disgusting scene with baked beans if memory serves.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited December 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Yea, but didn't you say you only paid $35?  Meanwhile the average star citizen, even when factoring in the free ones, paid $85.  Now Star Citizen needs money to pay for a huge lawsuit so where are you?  Why is your faith not making you donate more when they need you?

If I thought it was needed and if it was asked for I wouldn't hesitate to double that figure!   

FUNDS RAISED
    $173,533,403 - (just say the word CR and boom! $173,533,438 ! )

STAR CITIZENS
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:

;)
    Well Kojima's new title is a survival horror featuring Norman Reedus's likeness.

One of the reason for the delays is that it was originally supposed to be a Silent Hill title, but that plan fell through and he's reusing assets he created for that for the new project.
    I don't believe he's reusing assets he created for SH, he's not reusing anything. He can't be reusing anything from SH because that belongs to Konami. You got a source or just being French? ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited December 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:

;)

I don't believe he's reusing assets he created for SH, he's not reusing anything. He can't be reusing anything from SH because that belongs to Konami. You got a source or just being French? ;)
    Well, from what I understood he was.  Maybe I'm just conflating the fact that he's continuing to work with Norman on the new project.

So yea, being French!  Lol

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Grakulen said:

;)

Well, from what I understood he was.  Maybe I'm just conflating the fact that he's continuing to work with Norman on the new project.

So yea, being French!  Lol
    :smiley: yeah sadly Konami obliterate SH off the face of the planet. Kojima moved on from Konami--well, after being fired because he was too expensive, my opinion, he refused to roll with today's punches--and formed his own studio. 

Now he's making a new game, he did a world tour to find his engine. Only thing he has from SH is Normal and Del Toro (this time, small acting position apparently, just to be in a gaming project with Kojima). And more importantly, he got Mads Mikkelsen for this game. 

Kojima wants to create art. He's like the Jim Jarmusch of the gaming industry. Konami wants shorter periods of development and quicker cash. It was good for both of them to separate ways, sad part was we missed out on a masterpiece.  
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228

With the contract they signed for loan, Roberts gave up all rights to the game. So if they go bankrupt they lose the game to the loan company. That means unfortunately he won't have access to any of SC or SQ42!
    MaxBacon
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

If I thought it was needed and if it was asked for I wouldn't hesitate to double that figure!   

FUNDS RAISED

STAR CITIZENS
    Wonder how much of that is gonna goto crytek if they win their lawsuit 
    edited December 2017
    Kefo said:
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

FUNDS RAISED

STAR CITIZENS

Sorry just back from Star Wars, need to update it, the ticker goes a bit to fast.

FUNDS RAISED

STAR CITIZENS

Well when they settle, as I would be surprised if there was not a breach of contract, but not enough to warrant both parties going at it for the next 6 - 8 years. I think we will never know and it will be completely irrelevant to development but it will drive all you guys nuts not ever knowing and making you all jump up and down even more wetting your pants about crowdfunding! In fact the only joy you will get is for about the next week saying haha you got sued! then it will fade into Derelict Smurf territory and rarely mentioned again in a sane conversation!

edit: (I guess I will have to sit through the same charade for a week when CIG respond but then back to silence)
    Orinori said:
    Kefo said:
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

FUNDS RAISED

STAR CITIZENS

Sorry just back from Star Wars, need to update it, the ticker goes a bit to fast.

FUNDS RAISED

STAR CITIZENS

Well when they settle, as I would be surprised if there was not a breach of contract, but not enough to warrant both parties going at it for the next 6 - 8 years. I think we will never know and it will be completely irrelevant to development but it will drive all you guys nuts not ever knowing and making you all jump up and down even more wetting your pants about crowdfunding! In fact the only joy you will get is for about the next week saying haha you got sued! then it will fade into Derelict Smurf territory and rarely mentioned again in a sane conversation!

edit: (I guess I will have to sit through the same charade for a week when CIG respond but then back to silence)
    just wow.
    Orinori
    edited December 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

"He starts a religious movement ("I'm Free"), which generates fervor among its adherents ("Sally Simpson") and expands into a holiday camp ("Welcome" / "Tommy's Holiday Camp"). However, Tommy's followers ultimately reject his teachings and leave the camp ("We're Not Gonna Take It")."

Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

"He starts a religious movement ("I'm Free"), which generates fervor among its adherents ("Sally Simpson") and expands into a holiday camp ("Welcome" / "Tommy's Holiday Camp"). However, Tommy's followers ultimately reject his teachings and leave the camp ("We're Not Gonna Take It")."
    :/ all i ever got from that movie was that people liked to do lots of drugs.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    Orinori said:
    Tiamat64 said:
    Orinori said:
    CrazKanuk said:

FUNDS RAISED

STAR CITIZENS
    Ah, I see.  So your true faith is in the rest of the Star Citizen backers so you can hitch a ride on their laurels.

...like, really.  Even if you did "double that figure" of how much you contributed, that's only $70 bucks, which is still less than the average Star Citizen's $85.

As for saying the word, I'm pretty sure that Chris Roberts won't ever say "Orinari, I NEED another $35 from you RIGHT NOW or Star Citizen will die!" because that would do an awful lot to shake the rest of the backers' faith in the project.

Orinori.  Chris Roberts needs your money NOW.  Why do you think he did that land sale?  Why is he still selling ships?  Why is he still promoting Star Citizen?  He isn't doing it so people WON'T give him money. That $173,533,403 figure doesn't include expenses, you know.

He's calling to you Orinori.  Why are you letting him down?
    MaxBacon