Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Team Working to Address Ongoing DDoS Attack Against NA Servers - ArcheAge - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTeam Working to Address Ongoing DDoS Attack Against NA Servers - ArcheAge - MMORPG.com

ArcheAge News - As Trion prepares to launch Maelstrom into the live game, a new DDoS attack is underway. The team is working to mitigate the issue and will be updating the thread on the official forums with progress to that end.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TxChiefTxChief Member UncommonPosts: 23
    LOL! Those bastards deserve it.
    SignexPanther2103dinognJeffSpicoliKyleranViper482chocolate42069mazeru30ConstantineMerus

john456

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

TxChief said:

I wouldn't say that. They may have ruined a potentially amazing game, but that doesn't mean the people who currently enjoy the game (or even people working for the company who don't have much say in the bad things that happen to the game) should have to deal with this sort of thing.
    [Deleted User]SBFordJeffSpicoliKyleranViper482TxChiefchocolate42069LustsMrMelGibsonScotand 2 others.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well said, @Panther2103. I'll never understand people actually wishing harm or bad times on others over games...or a lot of other things. It's mind boggling.
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoliKyleran[Deleted User]Viper482pantaroBrunlinchocolate42069LustsMrMelGibsonand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Putting on my tinfoil hat... 

Didnt they claim this same thing during another launch of DLC and just before launch?  It just seems odd that any person would waste a good bot-net on attacking a game developer over and over again when they could be using it to extort money from a sales website.  I mean, if your bot-net is big enough to hurt the bandwidth of a major MMO, then you could bring down K-Mart.com very easily.

Sept 2014, Trion claims DDOS right before launch:
    https://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3473058/trion-worlds-suffering-ddos-attacks-as-archeage-prepares-for-public-launch

2014 player post predicting Trion will blame slow network performance on a DDOS attack:
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?133974-Whats-the-ETA-of-Trion-blaming-a-DDOS-attack

2015 Trion blaming things on a DDOS attack:
    https://www.mmorpg.com/news/trion-reporting-ongoing-ddos-attacks-1000033929

2016 Trion and Trove under DDOS attack:
    http://forums.trovegame.com/showthread.php?112662-Regarding-Ongoing-DDOS-Challenges

2017  - This post

Sure does seem odd...  

Apridisepantarodjnj2000[Deleted User]chocolate42069AsmodeuXmazeru30
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People go to jail for his if caught and gain what from the risk...nothing.
    So i find it VERY hard to believe,most of the time,i believe it is a simple excuse cover up for failures.

Bunch of servers went down...DDOS,,,need to use some machines for a new game but we don't want to buy more servers,just claim a DDOS until the typical mad rush early game wears off,etc etc,excuse excuse.

Unless i see some PROOF of a DDOS,like a filed complaint with the proper authorities,then i choose to believe it is fake news.Talk is cheap until you can back it up.

LMAO,i guess i should have read the entire story first,soooooooooo.
    Man o man,i have seen this song and dance before,they are launching a new update,not enough server space as we have seen before with Trion,yep i am even more convinced this is a BS claim by Trion.

chocolate42069MrMelGibsonmazeru30

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    i think is BS too , crappy servers are crappy
    chocolate42069mazeru30
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821
    I feel bad for the 5 affected players.
    Viper482pantaroTxChiefDakeruTalonsindjnj2000MrMelGibsonJunglecharlyKyleran
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited December 2017
    SBFord said:
    Well said, @Panther2103. I'll never understand people actually wishing harm or bad times on others over games...or a lot of other things. It's mind boggling.

Sorry, but after what they did to people like me who backed this game with a ton of cash, screw'em. I wish them the worst. Not like bad health or anything like that, but the game being attacked....I'm fine with it. Will just call her karma, and boy is she a biatch! 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited December 2017
    DMKano said:

Talonsin said:

Putting on my tinfoil hat... 

Didnt they claim this same thing during another launch of DLC and just before launch?  It just seems odd that any person would waste a good bot-net on attacking a game developer over and over again when they could be using it to extort money from a sales website.  I mean, if your bot-net is big enough to hurt the bandwidth of a major MMO, then you could bring down K-Mart.com very easily.

Sept 2014, Trion claims DDOS right before launch:
    https://www.ausgamers.com/news/read/3473058/trion-worlds-suffering-ddos-attacks-as-archeage-prepares-for-public-launch

2014 player post predicting Trion will blame slow network performance on a DDOS attack:
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showthread.php?133974-Whats-the-ETA-of-Trion-blaming-a-DDOS-attack

2015 Trion blaming things on a DDOS attack:
    https://www.mmorpg.com/news/trion-reporting-ongoing-ddos-attacks-1000033929

2016 Trion and Trove under DDOS attack:
    http://forums.trovegame.com/showthread.php?112662-Regarding-Ongoing-DDOS-Challenges

2017  - This post

Sure does seem odd...  

When an illegal ArcheAge emu server is trying to steal players - its not strange at all that they would ddos servers for their own gain

Its always about money in the end.

Your buddies running the game treat it like it's all about money in the end....so wy should they be different? 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited December 2017
    This actually was something were discussing at work right before we left. Turns out the FBI is involved this time. Some people are toast...for life lol. Apparently someone thought they could hide behind TOR and use TOR to DDOS lol. #Millennials #ScriptKiddies #BeSeeingYou #HopeYouStockedLube
    Kyleran
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited December 2017

SBFord said:

Well it's just personal feelings people have of certain companies,for example Sandbox Interactive perma banning my 4 year old account without actual evidence, then admitting that it might not have been accurate, I personally laughed when they had the DDOS attack and how many customers their company has dropped I think its great from a personal view.

I too played Arche Age for like a couple of years had well over a thousand dollars worth of land, the amount of times the company has merged, caused players to lose items not in inventory due to lack of inventory storage, caused people to lose land, done things like forced PVP between guilds that don't pop peace treaties basically enabling trade-pack griefig from same faction and stuff who really trust Trion Worlds anymore because of all this?

I know DDOS attacks are illegal, but sometimes I really can't blame people for their feelings towards a company that has done so many wrongs, and never refund its customers for example, or even offered credit or compensation on those who actually return a year or so later.

Also DDOS attacks you don't ever have to get caught, all you have to do is have a lot of infected computers, rented servers, or bot nets, and have this all setup using proxy / vpn services and done from a public network, or just set it up from home but don't activate it have it sitting around, and then execute at a later time from a cellphone and free wi-fi that is used once then destroyed, which is how a lot of computer virus / cyber attacks can easily be launched and the user is never found i've personally been infected a few times myself with random virus and exploits but always wiped my drive and reset they are not fun, but as technology has advanced this is actually very easy to do and I can have everything wiped and reset in a matter of 5 minutes now.
    Kyleran
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Adois!
    Dakeru
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Aeander said:

I feel bad for the 5 affected players.

OMG, I almost spit all over my desk. Bravo my good man. If we were at the bar I would buy you a cold one.
    MrMelGibson
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    People who do these stupid DDOS attacks should be sterilized. That way at least the next generation won't have to deal with their terrible spawn.
  • VesricVesric Member CommonPosts: 5
    Trion deserves whatever it got. Go figure you treat your player base like trash and the most tech savvy of them figure out a way to strike back and then do. The game is great, the market and support team is garbage, always has been, always will be if they keep going like it is. Eventually the player base will wise up and speak with thier dollars in the form of drying up Trion's cash flow.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I'm sure the 3 Chinese speaking people in the starter zone would be very sorry to hear this news.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Vesric said:
    Trion deserves whatever it got. Go figure you treat your player base like trash and the most tech savvy of them figure out a way to strike back and then do. The game is great, the market and support team is garbage, always has been, always will be if they keep going like it is. Eventually the player base will wise up and speak with thier dollars in the form of drying up Trion's cash flow.
    I think the current player base will stay till the end. These are probably that last few diehards. Everyone who was going to leave, left a long time ago.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Akulas said:
    I'm sure the 3 Chinese speaking people in the starter zone would be very sorry to hear this news.
    That joke only works once. (See above)
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    wait a min from 14th nov until now ? 1 month of DDOS? is this a joke?
    Renoaku said:

SBFord said:

Well it's just personal feelings people have of certain companies,for example Sandbox Interactive perma banning my 4 year old account without actual evidence, then admitting that it might not have been accurate, I personally laughed when they had the DDOS attack and how many customers their company has dropped I think its great from a personal view.

I too played Arche Age for like a couple of years had well over a thousand dollars worth of land, the amount of times the company has merged, caused players to lose items not in inventory due to lack of inventory storage, caused people to lose land, done things like forced PVP between guilds that don't pop peace treaties basically enabling trade-pack griefig from same faction and stuff who really trust Trion Worlds anymore because of all this?

I know DDOS attacks are illegal, but sometimes I really can't blame people for their feelings towards a company that has done so many wrongs, and never refund its customers for example, or even offered credit or compensation on those who actually return a year or so later.

Also DDOS attacks you don't ever have to get caught, all you have to do is have a lot of infected computers, rented servers, or bot nets, and have this all setup using proxy / vpn services and done from a public network, or just set it up from home but don't activate it have it sitting around, and then execute at a later time from a cellphone and free wi-fi that is used once then destroyed, which is how a lot of computer virus / cyber attacks can easily be launched and the user is never found i've personally been infected a few times myself with random virus and exploits but always wiped my drive and reset they are not fun, but as technology has advanced this is actually very easy to do and I can have everything wiped and reset in a matter of 5 minutes now.
    There you are again, in the middle of and explaining how easy it is to get away with illicit activities, including helpful tips on how "other" people do these things.

You even are routinely affected by exploits and viruses,  something which rarely occurs to most anyone else who makes even half an effort to protect their system.

I have to wonder what sort of websites you must visit to have such issues or be researching this sort of info on hacks, cheats, and exploits for seemingly near every game which has problems of this nature. 

MrMelGibsonmazeru30

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2017
    People who do these stupid DDOS attacks should be sterilized. That way at least the next generation won't have to deal with their terrible spawn.
    OK, that's a bit extreme, but I'd support public canings and exile to former leper colonies and bans from ever accessing the internet again.
    MrMelGibson

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827

TxChief said:

I wouldn't say that. They may have ruined a potentially amazing game, but that doesn't mean the people who currently enjoy the game (or even people working for the company who don't have much say in the bad things that happen to the game) should have to deal with this sort of thing.

Exactly, every MMO launched betrays the expectations of many players. That does not mean we should wish it ill.
    Kyleran
  • lucyfluffylucyfluffy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Trion no back up ISP in case of emergency ? I always dc on NA server but EU no dc.
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Trion no back up ISP in case of emergency ? I always dc on NA server but EU no dc.
    That is interesting, I am no DDoS expert and these things seem to change weekly so even if I knew something last week it might be a total different DDoS game this week. This also effects all their games not just ArcheAge. I hope they find a solution soon. Those who do these kind of things are no friend of anyone who loves gaming no matter what gaming developer is being attacked.
    Kyleranmazeru30