Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - Our Curse of Osiris Review - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Albatroes said:
    Lol game barely out for a month and half on pc, gets level cap increase so people who buy the base game can't even access the content before the dlc went live because entry scaled up....so if you want to do the content you were doing before the dlc, gotta cough up 20 more bucks!
    It's brilliant, isn't it?

And look at all the whiners who feel entitled just because they paid for the base game  :D

The game belongs to Bungie -- and those consumer-plebes only paid for the "right" to access the "content" of said game at Bungie's discretion.  Those people own nothing and they'd better expect to keep on paying at whatever rate Bungie determines if they want to keep playing pew pew in the shiny world of pixels Bungie made for them.

The Invisible Hand of the Market will sort it all out. The Market is always right.
    Phry

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    d_20 said:
    Albatroes said:
    Lol game barely out for a month and half on pc, gets level cap increase so people who buy the base game can't even access the content before the dlc went live because entry scaled up....so if you want to do the content you were doing before the dlc, gotta cough up 20 more bucks!
    It's brilliant, isn't it?

And look at all the whiners who feel entitled just because they paid for the base game  :D

The game belongs to Bungie -- and those consumer-plebes only paid for the "right" to access the "content" of said game at Bungie's discretion.  Those people own nothing and they'd better expect to keep on paying at whatever rate Bungie determines if they want to keep playing pew pew in the shiny world of pixels Bungie made for them.

The Invisible Hand of the Market will sort it all out. The Market is always right.
    I suspect that Bungie is about to learn EA's lesson the hard way, but they earned it. :p
    rojoArcueidd_20Wraithone
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Viper482 said:
    I have no problem paying for goods, just tired of buying new games that are going to exclude content so they can sell it to me a few weeks after release. If you could expand the game this soon you could have just included it in the release. Just another practice turning me off from gaming in general.
    The very reason that I got into gaming in the first place, was because my other hobbies were getting to be too expensive.  Tabletop wargaming was eating up every penny I had between Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmachine, Flames of War... ect.  CCG's were just as bad, I was playing 5-6 of them at the same time.

My friends, however, were having tons of fun for just $15 a month in MMO's and an occasional $30 for a full, everything in inclusive game, so I started with EVE Online.  Then I started getting into PC gaming as a whole.  Jumping on all of the new releases.  Fallout, TES, CoD, AC and the like.

However, the more desperately greedy the gaming market is becoming, the more I'm turning back towards other types of gaming.  I'm getting back into Warhammer, X-Wing Miniatures and Pen & Paper RPG's.  They are actually cheaper now than video gaming is becoming.

No loot boxes, no required DLC, no rules changes that I don't agree with.  Well, I mean, they can change the rules if they want, but since everything that we use to play these games is physical goods, then we can just decide to keep using the old rules if we want.  For instance, me and my gaming group are still using the 4th Edition Shadowrun rules cause fuck it, we have *all* the books between us.
    d_20laseritStjerneodd
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Nice casual game for jumping into from time to time.
    aliven[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    H0urg1ass said:
    Viper482 said:
    I have no problem paying for goods, just tired of buying new games that are going to exclude content so they can sell it to me a few weeks after release. If you could expand the game this soon you could have just included it in the release. Just another practice turning me off from gaming in general.
    The very reason that I got into gaming in the first place, was because my other hobbies were getting to be too expensive.  Tabletop wargaming was eating up every penny I had between Warhammer, Warhammer 40k, Warmachine, Flames of War... ect.  CCG's were just as bad, I was playing 5-6 of them at the same time.

My friends, however, were having tons of fun for just $15 a month in MMO's and an occasional $30 for a full, everything in inclusive game, so I started with EVE Online.  Then I started getting into PC gaming as a whole.  Jumping on all of the new releases.  Fallout, TES, CoD, AC and the like.

However, the more desperately greedy the gaming market is becoming, the more I'm turning back towards other types of gaming.  I'm getting back into Warhammer, X-Wing Miniatures and Pen & Paper RPG's.  They are actually cheaper now than video gaming is becoming.

No loot boxes, no required DLC, no rules changes that I don't agree with.  Well, I mean, they can change the rules if they want, but since everything that we use to play these games is physical goods, then we can just decide to keep using the old rules if we want.  For instance, me and my gaming group are still using the 4th Edition Shadowrun rules cause fuck it, we have *all* the books between us.
    Not to shit on your parade but.

If you were playing 5-6 TCG on top of bulding Army then im sorry, but no. Games, even with full bullshit monetization are still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. Like, fraction of the price. 

And Pen and Paper RPG were always cheaper than most of other hobbies. You literally need one rule book and some paper. And pens. Or pencils. 

Im glad you are having fun but hyperbole is strong in your post. 
  • chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited December 2017
    8.5????

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAt you get a base game and then they screw u for content and YOUR ok with that shame on you mmo reviewer....SHAME ON YOU....this company was also caught trying to hre a EA style loot box dev and withdrew that as it went viral

at best its a 2.5 and go see pretty good gaming review on it and laymen review

awful this sites shilled out to the loot boxers oh and here is a nice vid on games and bs about cost he has links to spreadsheets as well games are cheap
    RexKushman
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Albatroes said:

what? please explain Oo?
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Guys, it's OK to not like Destiny 2. But it's ALSO OK to like it a lot.

Is it OK to lock people out of content they already purchased when releasing new DLC? Because that's exactly what Bungie did, not that we would know about that reading your article.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2017
    Ginaz said:

Is it OK to lock people out of content they already purchased when releasing new DLC? Because that's exactly what Bungie did, not that we would know about that reading your article.

Bill probably didn't even know. You just answered his last point in the cons section. He hasn't even finished the extremely short story missions for the expansion but thought he'd review it anyway.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • ged222ged222 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited December 2017
    bierzcie udział w evencie i zyskujcie bananki :) bananki.pl/ps4
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Base game players just lost content with this expansion. And barely 1 month after launch in PC!! Its not that you wont have access to the new cool shinies if you dont buy the expansion, wich is somewhat understandable, its that you lost things you paid for in less than 2 months since launch.

¿How fucked up is that?

Not gonna comment on the ridiculous ammount of content the expansion provide and the heavy ballast that is a console oriented UI/optinos/communications system wich exploits 0 of the utilities that PCs offer.

I heavely regret paying 60 bucks for this con of a game. Even Defiance was a better "mmo" shooter. You cant live only on good music and graphics. And sweet mother of mercy if you gonna build a nice lore use it for something!!

I was dissapointed with the game but this expansion, and its robbery of content for players that dont want to pay the mafia expansaion taxes, is just too much of a fraud.
    Cryolitycal
  • chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217

jgDuffay said:

Honestly, 8 out of 10 is pretty steep for such a shallow, low value offering. Hardly got anything for your money.

hm, i have gotten a hell of a lot for my money ..

and bet you spent A LOT A MONEY....they CALL YOU A WHALE
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Ginaz said:

The reviewer is apparently ok with this. And with how they re-introduced strikes locked behind a pay wall. Strikes where an important part of Destiny 1, got removed in 2 only to be brought back in this DLC for the loyal paying customers.

It is more than obvious that Destiny 2's content is designed to be sold to players piece by piece. Apparently this reviewer is perfectly ok with this approach by Bungie / Activision. Hence the high score.
    Iselinuriel_mafess

Shodanas said:

Ginaz said:

The reviewer is apparently ok with this. And with how they re-introduced strikes locked behind a pay wall. Strikes where an important part of Destiny 1, got removed in 2 only to be brought back in this DLC for the loyal paying customers.

It is more than obvious that Destiny 2's content is designed to be sold to players piece by piece. Apparently this reviewer is perfectly ok with this approach by Bungie / Activision. Hence the high score.

Doesn't surprise me since another reviewer on this site was A-OK with SW:Battlefront 2's loot box scheme. Some reviewers will schill for a game not because the AAA companies are driving truckloads of money up to their front doors, but because they're afraid of losing access if they're too critical. Jim Sterling and others like him don't give 2 shits whether or not EA or Bioware send them free review copies or exclusive interviews because they don't need it. Sites like this do. They would die without it.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ginaz said:

Holy shit they really increased the minimum level for some base game content beyond a level that can be achieved in the base game? What will they think of next?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I must say that I LOVE the Prometheus Lens, and The Colony. Its the most fun I've had in awhile. The idea of having Xur sell the Lens this week was a master stroke. The trials of the nine turned into a series of laser tag matches, with most people having a lot of fun.

But over all, I was disappointed in Curse. It looks like Bungie just phoned it in, and went through the motions. The Infinite Forest could have been SO much better. Just imagine having Hello Games help with creating it, and all of the potential that would have added.

There was WAY too much focus on Eververse and its loot boxes, and too many underhanded antics. I suspect Activision, but Bungie may have become corrupt when dealing with their publisher.

Only time will tell how this all works out.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Interesting about locking out non expansion owners from content, and a quick Google shows what I expected, it was a mistake.
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/weve-made-some-mistakes-bungie-backtracks-on-locked-destiny-2-content/
    JamesGoblin
    Interesting about locking out non expansion owners from content, and a quick Google shows what I expected, it was a mistake.
    https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/12/weve-made-some-mistakes-bungie-backtracks-on-locked-destiny-2-content/
    Do you really think it was a "mistake" or that they simply got caught and were being roasted for it and were forced to change things because of the backlash?
    Wraithoneesc-joconnor

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Ginaz said:
    Do you really think it was a "mistake" or that they simply got caught and were being roasted for it and were forced to change things because of the backlash?
    How do you get caught for doing something blatant? Did you think they thought people wouldn't notice they couldn't do some stuff they could before? In any case, they will reverse it, and quickly, so I can live with a game company that operates that way. 

Now that I have finished the main story though, and the Infinite Forest is only available through missions, I do have doubts about the value of the expansion.  I'm trying to remember how much an expansion like General Knoxx for BL2 was, I think it had a lot more content, a completely new vehicle type, for around the same price when it was new, and the seasons pass had a lot more. 

The Osiris Expansion doesn't add anything truly new, aside from the one boss maybe. Lots of reskins and model variations. The cut scenes are also the in-game engine version for the most part from what I can tell, I don't think I'd want to pay for lots of cutscenes anyway, I'll just but a video for the same price. 
  • MegapixelMegapixel Member UncommonPosts: 14
    It's a 6/10 at best. It's a lazy lackluster DLC that's not worth the price tag given to it. Calling it an expansion is way too generous. The new patrol zone is just pitiful and the new reward gear is quite underwhelming. The way Bungie and Activision have mismanaged D2 since launch has brought on so much controversy that the community is all butthurt now and rarely logs in anymore. D2 can be a fun time killer but it falls into that same trash bin of empty promises that Battlefront 2 and CODWW2 are in. It's ironic that each of those games have a #2 by their name. Hmmm, must be the evil works of the Illuminati. Anyway, games today are all about vanity and overcharging their communities to invest more into fluff rather than actual gameplay. The Osiris DLC doubled down on this corrupt system by tailoring much of its content around bright engrams (loot boxes). People would rather skip endgame content now because the rewards are just not worth the trouble. Instead they just grind bright engrams all day in hopes of getting that new bling. Anyway, there's plenty to complain about when it comes to D2 but this new DLC does more to hurt the game rather than improve it. 6/10 at best.