Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More active steam players atm than TERA, NWO or ESO <3

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Distopia said:
    Shaigh said:
    It is a recurring problem with WS: -

They launched as a subscription game, had a huge number of players initially and a very swift fall off. 
    They launched as F2P, had a reasonable number of players initially and a very swift fall off. 
    They launched on Steam, had a reasonable number of players initially and... 

WS simply can;t retain players, for whatever reason that may be (multiple bad design choices). 
    5k for a f2p AAA budget mmorpg launching on steam are weak numbers. Tera had 25k, neverwinter had 14k, planetside 2 had 30k, rift got up to 11k when they switched to f2p. Even sub games like ff14 peaked higher on steam.

A reasonable number for wildstar would be peaking at 10k while averaging above 1k players 3 months from now.
    Honestly for a F2P those peak numbers are of the least importance, that peak could quite simply identify with events such as launch, giveaways, tournaments etc... Just because it's a big number doesn't make it significant. 

The more important number is the average amount of logged in users, not to mention how many are spending, as well as how much...

Launching big is important, most of the numbers I provided came from launch. If your peak CCU is low your average is bound to be low which has an effect on spending as well.

While it doesn't mean everything most of Wildstar's competitor launched with +10k CCU.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited June 2016
    DMKano said:
    The declining player numbers have a strong psychological effect on active playerbase - the studies done (by EEDAR I think) have shown that showing constantly declining numbers has a "mass exodus" effect 

On the other hand showing a increasing playerbase does have a confidence boosting effect that the game is doing well in active playerbase.

So it's no surprise that studios would show this during a healthy (launch and early) player count phase and then turn it off when the population decline would be irreversible (happens with every game, eventually people just lose interest)

While I'm sure thats true, that won't realistically stop the exodus. Maybe it will keep a few more players for a few days longer, but sparing their psyche will only hide the problem until they log in to find noticeably less people.
    Post edited by Dullahan on

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Shaigh said:
    Distopia said:
    Shaigh said:

They launched as a subscription game, had a huge number of players initially and a very swift fall off. 
    They launched as F2P, had a reasonable number of players initially and a very swift fall off. 

WS simply can;t retain players, for whatever reason that may be (multiple bad design choices). 
    5k for a f2p AAA budget mmorpg launching on steam are weak numbers. Tera had 25k, neverwinter had 14k, planetside 2 had 30k, rift got up to 11k when they switched to f2p. Even sub games like ff14 peaked higher on steam.

A reasonable number for wildstar would be peaking at 10k while averaging above 1k players 3 months from now.
    Honestly for a F2P those peak numbers are of the least importance, that peak could quite simply identify with events such as launch, giveaways, tournaments etc... Just because it's a big number doesn't make it significant. 

The more important number is the average amount of logged in users, not to mention how many are spending, as well as how much...

Launching big is important, most of the numbers I provided came from launch. If your peak CCU is low your average is bound to be low which has an effect on spending as well.

While it doesn't mean everything most of Wildstar's competitor launched with +10k CCU.
    Have to agree there, 3000 is low for a launch, it indicates a very low rate of interest in the game, if the game had just gone F2P on Steam, then the figures would have been much higher, and you probably would have seen the initial 10k+ peak, but it went F2P a while ago, and that was probably when most of the remaining interest was generated.
    At the moment the Steam launch seems to be something of a damp squib, probably a combination of it releasing on Steam this late, and a lack of advertising, though really, without making major changes to the game, i don't think the game had much of a chance anyway. :(
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    treyu86 said:
    Very nice start for Wildstar on Steam in its first weekend after Steam Release. I hope this trends continues. With the new Game Director letter posted in the forums today and the very near future roadmap shared, the future looks good for the game it seems.

Wildstar is still 'new' on Steam. Also I'm wondering how you can say that it has more players than TERA. The last 24h TERA has had already more players AND TERA is region bound (US and EU have different publishers). When you would count both versions of TERA, it certainly would show it has more players than WildStar.

Still a very good start for Wildstar, a game that's been struggling since it's launch last week and I do hope for the Carbine team that it'll keep this active (or become more active :p ).
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Distopia said:
    Shaigh said:

Theoretically, mayeb. But if the gmae isn't appealing to many to even log in, I'm sure the number who actually do, and who thinlk the game is worth spending money in on a regular basis is much lower to. I'd say that's an issue. Becasue B2P/F2P/P2P whatever the model, I'm sure ongoing revenues are in a direct coloration to the population.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    cheyane said:

The main problem about Wildstar and this is my opinion that makes the population consistently leave after initially trying it , is the combat.
    Its the worst of both worlds.

The people that enjoy a slower, more cerebral combat have little to work with.  The people that prefer a more active combat are mostly presented with a game of constantly look at crap on the ground.

Its neither fun nor engaging for most people.

Which is a shame, because they did a good job with the world building, more than most MMORPGs do these days.  They also actually tried to put their own spin on things instead of just using WoW as a template.  I don't think a game needs a great combat system to do well (look at FFXIV), but a bad combat system can really hurt a game.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2016
    Shaigh said:
    Distopia said:

I don't disagree on that point, interest is highly important. I was just making a point that high initial numbers for a F2p don't really relate to much in the way of income, or sustainability. It seems like WS is hitting the average user count for most MMORPGs on steam which seems to be from 2500-4000 at any given time. If they can maintain that and people spend, that seems like the best case scenario we could expect in the long run, which then it's a matter of, if that is enough? 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Aori said:
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    Meanwhile Tree of Savior has more than all 4 combined.

Meanwhile DOTA2 peaked at almost 1million users today ;)

(shameless plug - yes I play DOTA2)
    Tree of Savior is actually an MMO though, at least make your plug fit.
    His plug does fit actually. We are talking about games on steam, right?
    You're handsome, I like you.
    Sorry, but I'm straight.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Distopia said:
    Shaigh said:
    Distopia said:

I don't disagree on that point, interest is highly important. I was just making a point that high initial numbers for a F2p don't really relate to much in the way of income, or sustainability. It seems like WS is hitting the average user count for most MMORPGs on steam which seems to be from 2500-4000 at any given time. If they can maintain that and people spend, that seems like the best case scenario we could expect in the long run, which then it's a matter of, if that is enough? 
    Given that player review on steam is up at 80% which is fairly positive they might be capable of gaining more traction during the coming days meaning that the launch peak might occur next weekend instead.

Happy players tell their friends about the game.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

:D
    edited June 2016
    Eadan1 said:
    Are people celebrating 5000 players for an MMO?
    Yeah, I'm sure NCSoft Execs are breaking out the champagne
    Post edited by GeezerGamer on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I'm seriously enjoying this game.  Long may it continue.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    There are 1000 over reviews which is not bad people are talking about the game...granted not all positive. Let's hope it is given a new lease of life on Steam.

You should see the comments on steam from Landmark. This game is Ticker-tape Parade compared to that one.
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    It's still a good game and deserves to stay active. I for one am sick of fantasy. :/
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Just gives me goose pimplies to think one of those line dots was me logging in.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited December 2017
    http://steamcharts.com/app/376570

From a peak of 5k down to less than 363... I wonder how they are keeping the lights on?

For reference Marvel Heroes pulled in around double than that at 733 when it went down and the company died.

http://steamcharts.com/app/226320

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited May 2018
    Nilden said:

From a peak of 5k down to less than 363... I wonder how they are keeping the lights on?

For reference Marvel Heroes pulled in around double than that at 733 when it went down and the company died.

City of Heroes was MAKING money, and it went down. It wasn't losing money, but making money every month. NCsoft instead shut it down, leaving the developers and owner of the company blindsided

I think there is internal corruption inside NCsoft.

That or/and NCsoft is racist and hates westerners. Cause why else would they keep sabotaging their own games? Except for Guild Wars since GW makes them a ton of money. If it was making money, but a lot less, they'd treat it the same. But all their western games except for GW they treat like crap. They even tried to sabotage Richard Garriot, cause they must hate westerners and were then found guilty by the court of law making them guilty no matter what one thinks. 

Even SOE never does or did anything that shitty lol.

For Wildstar. its supposedly a pet project by NCsoft CEO. Probably why it survives. Cause CoH was far more successful and NCsoft still shut it down.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Nilden said:

City of Heroes was MAKING money, and it went down. It wasn't losing money, but making money every month. NCsoft instead shut it down, leaving the developers and owner of the company blindsided

That or/and NCsoft is racist and hates westerners. Cause why else would they keep sabotaging their own games? Except for Guild Wars since GW makes them a ton of money. If it was making money, but a lot less, they'd treat it the same. But all their western games except for GW they treat like crap. They even tried to sabotage Richard Garriot, cause they must hate westerners and were then found guilty by the court of law making them guilty no matter what one thinks. 

For Wildstar. its supposedly a pet project by NCsoft CEO. Probably why it survives. Cause CoH was far more successful and NCsoft still shut it down.
    What a pile of conspiracy bullshit .

First, the one who you quoted was talking about MARVEL Heroes, not City of Heroes.

Secondly , City of Heroes was going down in revenues. IF, at the moment of closing, say .. it would of "produced" some .. 1 mil a year , but the trend was down  , it was a smart move to close it in terms of business. YES! Games are a .. business first, because if is not a successfully business, then - see COH for exemple. 

Third, they closed down the whole studio, along with COH, meaning the studio was no longer profitable. 

Now, you are prob asking why Carbines Studios is still alive? First , your pathetic "racism" remark, is off by now, right? Right ? Since Carbines Studio is a Western Studio. Now, that we agree up until this point, we can go forward by saying, Carbines Studios, despite the fact the Wildstar is not profitable, is still alive because they are working on a new game (MMO?) , which .. from a business perspective , and if they think the game will be good, it means that the new game have big potential to bring profit for NcSoft , hence, still alive. Anyway , is good you are not in charge of any company , as , because of you conspiracy theories , it would of been down in a blink of an eye.

About..........................lord british , he should of say THANK YOU!! for receiving .. icantrememberhowmanymillionsofdollars for nothing, since he FAILED HARD with Tabula Rasa , losing around $100 mil from NcSoft budget. With this, they received a VERY hard hit , which for some companies, could ended a lot worst .

Please, educate yourself : http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2008/02/123_19134.html

JHLotB

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Nilden said:

Well I will admit, something on the surface doesn't seem right. They even shut down MxM when it was honestly doing better than WS, so idk but Carbine did confirm they are working on a new project since last year I believe, so chances are they'll probably make a battle royale or something using Wildstar's assets and see if that works while milking blood from a stone out of their little playerbase. There hasn't been an actual content for the game since almost 2 years I believe, just events that have been around before.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852
    IceAge said:

Secondly , City of Heroes was going down in revenues. IF, at the moment of closing, say .. it would of "produced" some .. 1 mil a year , but the trend was down  , it was a smart move to close it in terms of business. YES! Games are a .. business first, because if is not a successfully business, then - see COH for exemple. 

Third, they closed down the whole studio, along with COH, meaning the studio was no longer profitable.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

CoH was closed down because NCsoft had GW2 launching in NA, Blade and Soul launching in SK and Wildstar in development. NCsoft didnt want too many active MMOs at one time, especially in NA, so they closed down their lowest performer to make room for the new one. Thats it.

At the time of its closure CoH was making a steady ~$3 million a quarter. So, it was profitable and it was not on a downward trend.

Stop making up numbers and stop outright lying.
    ElvocSinsai
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Xiaoki said:
    IceAge said:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

CoH was closed down because NCsoft had GW2 launching in NA, Blade and Soul launching in SK and Wildstar in development. NCsoft didnt want too many active MMOs at one time, especially in NA, so they closed down their lowest performer to make room for the new one. Thats it.

At the time of its closure CoH was making a steady ~$3 million a quarter. So, it was profitable and it was not on a downward trend.

Stop making up numbers and stop outright lying.
    Yes I agree it was making money I too recall seeing the profit figures in the threads at that time. No way is it true to say it was not profitable.
    Sinsai

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I love WS but it's circling the drain, has been for a while now. 

They tried to give it them mythic+ treatment recently and just introduced even more power creep.

If they were serious about trying to make a comeback they would release a full-blown expansion as one last hurrah and hope for the best. 

As it is stands today they are trying to get whatever money they can out of keeping the servers alive with as minimal input as possible.  Pappy's letter at the end of last year literally said "Nothing new is coming in 2018"
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I love WS but it's circling the drain, has been for a while now. 

They tried to give it them mythic+ treatment recently and just introduced even more power creep.

If they were serious about trying to make a comeback they would release a full-blown expansion as one last hurrah and hope for the best. 

As it is stands today they are trying to get whatever money they can out of keeping the servers alive with as minimal input as possible.  Pappy's letter at the end of last year literally said "Nothing new is coming in 2018"
    You have to understand, the fact that the game is still running is amazing. The fact that NCsoft hasn't pulled the plug on it is a miracle, as EVERY single MMORPG that has been published by them that wasn't developed by them that is doing even mildly good seems to get shut down instantly. They have some weird soft spot for Wildstar. 

I feel really bad for Carbine, they have tried again and again to bring people into the game. I would love to go back, but the amount of time everything takes, makes me nervous as I don't want to play a lot and then have the game get shut down.