Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

monitor suggestions please

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
So i dropped something on my monitor and left a huge scratch in monitor with no color now. So now i need some suggestions on getting something equivalent to what i have.  What I do currently have is the Dell U2713HM ive had it quite a few years and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-27-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B009H0XQQY

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    if i have to bump up size i will

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    If you are into gaming and have a decent GPU go Ultra Wide its is incredible. I wouldnt recommend 4k though as you will need two titans to get ultra 60fps+. I went Ultra Wide 2560x1080 144 hz and it is amazing! 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE si what i have

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited December 2017
    O you would be fine with that, Check out youtube, do your homework on Ultrawide and see if it interests you
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

quizz you out there?

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    AOC AGON range is the overall winner this year for 1440p monitors so they are probably worth looking at. Which you'd want though depends on whether you are AMD or NVidia.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited December 2017
    Noticed your GPU above..

AOC AGON AG271QG is what I'd recommend for you if you want a similar setup to before but with a straight upgrade in just about all areas... except maybe wiggling your monitor around into different positions but who really does that? It's not cheap, but you haven't mentioned a price range yet.

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG271QG-Gaming-Monitor-G-Sync/dp/B01G5JYMNA/
    im in the TN vs IPS dilema.. im all about the quality of the picture. i dont play fps really, mostly MMO's. I cant seem to find an ips though that will get into the 120 hz range let alone over 60. Ive been looking but cant seem to find. Im looking around the 500 dollar range but I know i will have to bend

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    edited December 2017
    I personally have three of these:

https://www.amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C

That's a little over your stated $500 budget, but could qualify as "around the 500 dollar range".

It does check off the boxes of what you seem to want pretty well:

IPS panel
    144 Hz
    2560x1440 resolution
    27"
    All the tilt and pivot placement options you could reasonably want.

I use them in portrait mode with Eyefinity for a combined 4320x2560 resolution.

The specs on these also look nice, but I'm not familiar with the brands, so who knows if you'll run into trouble by going with off-brand stuff:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB716DB9827
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZW6MV2609
    edited December 2017
    thunderC said:
    If you are into gaming and have a decent GPU go Ultra Wide its is incredible. I wouldnt recommend 4k though as you will need two titans to get ultra 60fps+. I went Ultra Wide 2560x1080 144 hz and it is amazing! 
    Short screen monitors are the most ridiculous thing.  Maybe that would make sense for watching movies, but that's about it.  It's a computer monitor, not a television.  Even at 1280x1024, I usually needed more height before I needed more width.

Going from 2560x1440 on his old monitor to 2560x1080 would be a huge downgrade.  Once you've gotten used to having a lot of monitor space, trying to do without it is really painful.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I know I will be criticized, but just bought a Samsung 40" uhd tv, for $300 and it works great for my main monitor.
    Ozmodan said:
    I know I will be criticized, but just bought a Samsung 40" uhd tv, for $300 and it works great for my main monitor.
    I game on my 48" TV in a chunky recliner with a Roccat Sova lapboard. There is no going back to hunchback and the claw.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited December 2017
    It's kind of an odd period for monitors. There's a lot of things that are just on the edge of being available that keep making me hold off on my own monitor purchase.

TN are getting crazy fast refresh rates today, and have decent color anymore - they just have really poor viewing angles. It makes for some difficulty with large TN panels, as depending on your depth of viewing, it can wash out the sides. But by and large, TN panels today are a lot better than they used to be. They still aren't IPS panels though.

IPS, there is a new generation due out "soon" that will go up to 4K 120Hz. It's been "soon" for the last year now, though. IPS have awesome viewing angles and great color, but can suffer from backlight bleed and typically have poor black levels.

VA is common in television sets, and is starting to come over to monitors. VA has excellent black and contrast levels, similar color to IPS, and better viewing angles than TN (although not as good as IPS). They have issues with refresh rate though - doesn't matter so much in TV where most of the content is 24Hz, and they can handle 60Hz ok, but you won't find many faster than that.

And, as has been for the past few years, OLED is "right around the corner". They look amazingly sharp, with the best contrast, black levels, and viewing angles of anything (in my opinion), but can suffer from burn in if you aren't careful. Prices on LG 55"s have come down to something reasonable lately (although still outside a $500 budget), and not everyone wants a 55" for a main computer monitor. 

Then there is the GSync vs FreeSync, and HDMI 2.1 was just announced which could eliminate the need for either (which was just approved but not quite yet available)

Monitors, like most peripherals, are a very subjective matter. Go look at them, if you like what you see, it's a good monitor (or alternatively, order from a place that will let you return hassle free). I've had good luck with Dell Ultrasharps, although they tend to cost a bit more.

As of right now, the very loose consensus is that the sweet spot is in the 27-32" 120Hz 2K IPS ( Asus MG279Q, Viewsonic XG2703-GS, Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, etc). Some people swear by ultrawide, but I think I would rather two side-by-side monitors, as only certain games actually support FOV and UI adjustments to support UW's. A lot of people swear by GSync/VSync, some swear by just flat out high refresh rates, I don't know - those are all very subjective things.

If the 4K 32-27" 120Hz IPS panels come out next year, I may get one of those. I have been holding on to a 2004 Dell 24" TN monitor waiting on OLED, but it just hasn't really come out there yet (and it may never get there). I've also had my eye on the LG 55" OLED, and the prices have cratered this year are making me really think about that too (although I would have to rearrange my entire computer setup for that - the @theDarkrayne recliner idea is sounding pretty good) - if they come out with a <=43" version I'd probably jump on that in a heartbeat.

I have a GTX980 (and no reason to upgrade from that yet), and I've been tempted to try GSync, but I'm not absolutely wed to the idea and don't really like the thought of spending the extra $200 just to try it out either, or to sidegrade to an AMD card to try out Freesync. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a monitor that happens to have Freesync and using it with my nVidia though- it wouldn't be any different than buying a monitor without GSync.
    Quizzical said:
    I personally have three of these:

https://www.amazon.com/MG279Q-27-Inch-FreeSync-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00ZOO348C

That's a little over your stated $500 budget, but could qualify as "around the 500 dollar range".

It does check off the boxes of what you seem to want pretty well:

IPS panel
    144 Hz
    2560x1440 resolution
    27"
    All the tilt and pivot placement options you could reasonably want.

I use them in portrait mode with Eyefinity for a combined 4320x2560 resolution.

The specs on these also look nice, but I'm not familiar with the brands, so who knows if you'll run into trouble by going with off-brand stuff:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB716DB9827
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZW6MV2609
    quizz i bought this monitor. any way you can shoot me over the settings you are using. my dell was much more on its whites, and this seems to not be as sharp as the dell. am i missing something?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    FreeSync is an open version that any GPU maker can adopt. Intel uses FreeSync as well. GSync is a nVidia proprietary solution and nVidia chooses not to support FreeSync as it draws sales away from GSync monitors.
    thanks for the help. im using a display port cable for the 144 hz

It sounds like you're more stringent about image quality than I am.  I plugged them in, thought it looked good, tried to get FreeSync to work (I think it isn't supported with Eyefinity), failed, and went on to just use them without tinkering with the color settings.

My background with monitors is basically that I've seen and used various TN monitors that looked bad, various IPS monitors that looked good, and various CRT monitors (years ago) that looked bad by modern standards.  But I'm not sensitive enough to say that this IPS monitor looks a lot better than that one.  If you are, then I hope I didn't lead you astray.
    Cleffy said:
    FreeSync is an open version that any GPU maker can adopt. Intel uses FreeSync as well. GSync is a nVidia proprietary solution and nVidia chooses not to support FreeSync as it draws sales away from GSync monitors.
    Technically, the industry standard is Adaptive Sync, and FreeSync is AMD's proprietary implementation of it that adds some extra features.  For example, I found a thread that asserted that Adaptive Sync only requires DisplayPort support, while AMD decided to enable the same features over HDMI.

While Intel supports Adaptive Sync, they don't necessarily support the extra features that AMD does in FreeSync.  That said, they could if they wanted to.  But Intel's GPU support is pretty shoddy, so they don't care to.
    Ozmodan
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited December 2017
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827&cm_re=view_sonic_xg-_-24-116-827-_-Product

^ Got two of these very happy with them.

If you don't care about Gsync can go with the AMD version, just be sure to buy the 144hz 2k version unless you want slower refresh rate at 60hz for 4k.
    edited December 2017
    Provided that it is of the necessary standard to support the desired resolution and frame rate and isn't defective, the cable shouldn't affect image quality.  Monitor cables are all digital these days, so the only way that the cable can degrade image quality is if bits are getting flipped in transmission, which would mean that something is seriously defective.
    Usually when a cable is of questionable quality, you see the monitor appear to go to sleep or get disconnect intermittently, particularly at higher resolutions and refresh rates. Occasionally, you'll see artifacting, but that isn't quite as common.

It isn't quite like the old 15-pin analog cables, where you could get a snowy, fuzzy or wavy picture if you had interference or a bad cable.
    All that said, the "new" HDR standards were recently released. Samsung has the first HDR600 compliant panels - their QLED VA 144Hz Freesync 2 Ultrawide and Standard VA panels (CHG90 and CHG70).

Apparently the panel that supports HDR over Gsync isn't quite available yet.
  • k4tek4te Member CommonPosts: 11

If you're not doing anything that might need a higher color gamut, then I highly suggest the AOC Agon Ag271qg. This is already a 27-inch IPS monitor, so you won't be seeing any weird discoloration related to viewing angles and it supports g-sync.

Your 1080 will benefit more from this than a free-sync monitor, because as someone already pointed out Nvidia is an a*s. It’s a wee bit more expensive than your $500 budget though ($599 on Amazon), but in my opinion, you get more out of the extra $99 than you would if you settled for a cheaper free-sync supporting monitor.

This monitor is great too, looks slick and has a couple of features that are pretty nice, like the adjustable stand. Also this is a 165hz refresh rate, which I believe you mentioned you wanted something higher than 60.

The only downside is the 4ms response time, which is not so good for FPS, but should be okay for MMOs.

I know AOC isn't that popular, more like it's new so people aren’t really too sure of it. My office has a couple of these monitors and they’re fantastic. They’re pretty new though, so I can’t tell you how sturdy they are. Still, so far so good.

I wish I could afford one for home use, instead I’m stuck with these budget ones. :disappointed: 

Anyway, I hope it helps! :smiley: