Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Checking In with Orbus VR as the Virtual Reality MMO Nears Early Access Release - General News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageChecking In with Orbus VR as the Virtual Reality MMO Nears Early Access Release - General News

After completing a successful KickStarter campaign earlier this year, the Orbus VR team has sent word that the game will be launching into Early Access on December 15th. This includes both a Steam version and Oculus as well. Players can get in on the action for $40.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    VR is way too niche to think an MMO could be successful.
    WalkinGlenn
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • BluefishBluefish Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I'm intrigued. I'll probably check this out.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

DMKano said:

Using a pickaxe to pluck a flower.....immersion ruined.

Also your avatar has no legs....

If you can tell me a better way to pluck a flower I'd like to hear it!

Game looks ok though I'm not clear why they are picking on those cute little red tails. They do seem to be badasses as it takes so many arrows to take them down and they don't even flinch!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GahnzoGahnzo Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I think this will be a good testing ground for MMOs in VR. With the price of VR dropping it will be a more realistic project in about another year or two.
    Revofire
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Gahnzo said:

I think this will be a good testing ground for MMOs in VR. With the price of VR dropping it will be a more realistic project in about another year or two.

there's supposed to be a major upgrade coming 2018 in the display screens that will supposedly remove the "screen door" effect.
    Revofire
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Viper482 said:

Bollocks, players would flock to a VR version of Everquest I or II or even SWG and there's enough VR players to make a success of it. It's only going to get bigger.
    Revofire
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2017

Viper482 said:

Bollocks, players would flock to a VR version of Everquest I or II or even SWG and there's enough VR players to make a success of it. It's only going to get bigger.
    Based on Steam Hardware Survey, only 0.19% of players have VR.

According to SteamSpy's statistics, yesterday Fallout 4 had 3 133 times as many peak concurrent players as Fallout 4 VR, and Star Trek Online had 105 times as many players as Star Trek: Bridge Simulator.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

Vrika said:

Viper482 said:

Based on Steam Hardware Survey, only 0.19% of players have VR.

According to SteamSpy's statistics, yesterday Fallout 4 had 3 133 times as many peak concurrent players as Fallout 4 VR, and Star Trek Online had 105 times as many players as Star Trek: Bridge Simulator.

That's massive considering how many gamers are out there, and PSVR sold 2 million, none of which have Steam.

So that's more like .6 to .75% of all gamers.

Furthermore, that is likely to expand to 2% or 5% due to the 2nd gen, if they can get more demo stations out amd get people actually experiencing this then that number will be 10% or greater, meaning VR is well on track.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    DMKano said:

Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

Game looks ok though I'm not clear why they are picking on those cute little red tails. They do seem to be badasses as it takes so many arrows to take them down and they don't even flinch!

Better way image
    hacks

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited December 2017

DMKano said:

Sovrath said:

DMKano said:

Better way

Have to agree, the whole point of VR at least to me is immersion so why then make a game where a pick axe is used to pick flowers?

Overkill isn't it...poor little flower.... I like the idea of the game and it looks interesting, I like how spellcasting seems to work. Somethings I don't like are floating hands not connected to anything and mobs that amount to fluffy killer bunnies etc...so wish mmo's wouldn't do this...the only reason you should be killing "bunnies" or deers etc etc would be to gather meat for cooking. Also is that cactuar mob I saw in the game not something that belongs to sqeenix due to being from Final Fantasy games?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Didn't Sony launch a Star Wars VR game? How's that doing? Been mighty silent...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey