Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats there to play for me!??

VedixszVedixsz Member UncommonPosts: 30
Hello, this is my first thread on mmorpg.com.
I have been trying to get into a mmorpg lately and have been having a hard time getting into any of them long term. So i  wanted to kind of hear what other people think suits me. Im going to list mmorpgs i have played and why im not playing them long term.

Im not a fan of asian mmorpgs, allot of them have some really silly shit in there and it takes me out of it and kind of makes me feel weird. Tried Revelation Online and uninstalled when the game started giving me random smal animals to put on my characters head.
I like fantasy, not so much sci-fi. Voice acting is a big plus. The game has to have sandbox elements in there, big fan of crafting and things like farming. Also extensive mounts and pets system is something im a fan of. To much instanced gameplay is something that can bother me and straight up "lobby" games like Skyforge is a nono. 
Pve and pvp is not really something i wanna touch on as i feel like its a given that it has those things and preferably does both well.
I dont like games that claim to focus on one thing like "pvp focused" or "focused on raiding". All mmorpgs should do pve, pvp and raids and do them well. When a game makes a big deal out of claiming to focus on one thing i instantly lose all interest.
The games i will mention are games i have played, doesnt mean i have played them to max level and did everything end game. Some i have even just played for a tiny bit but got my impression of it and left. I dont need to play a game for months before figuring out if its worth my time. 
Also beware, im pretty sure that allot of you might find me to be very picky. Some games have ruined themselves in my eyes on what many would consider minor issues.
And another thing, i dont mean to offend anyone. If you like or love a game that i say i dont like dont take it personal. If you love it then thats great im happy for you! 

If i dont talk about a particular game down below it is most likly because i find the game just not worth talking about i.e. the game doesnt stand a chance in hell. Doesnt mean i havent played the game. Some of these are: Revelation Online, Wildstar, WoW, Neverwinter, Allods Online, Rift. 

Games i have played:

Guild Wars 2 - A good game for what it is. However it lacks on many of the things i enjoy. No mounts until recently, very spamable fast travel (i hate spamable fast travel), No point in exploring the world other than reaching the "point of interest" node on the map at which point you just waypoint out of there because theres nothing really there. Often times it annoyed me because it would want me to reach a corner on the map and theres absolutely nothing there, whats the point of that why is it even a thing... For a game that tries to be so different its surprisingly generic and simple. The no quests event system is really not that interesting, you move into the event area and just get an objective. Gives you no background into why you are doing what you are doing unless you actually go to the event "giver" and even that gives you very little. Also the events are fairly repetitive. 
All of these things together made me not really wanna continue playing past level 30.

Elder Scrolls Online - Enjoyed it allot once upon a time. I recently came back to it and it has sort of lost its charm. I rolled a new character and to my disappointment they have messed up the flow of the game. The game has turned the compelling story into a speed run. The main story quests used to come to you every few levels and it made for a nice mixture of doing the main story and doing side quests and other stuff. Now you can actually just run through the main story quests back to back. The main problem with this is that they didnt bother to alter the main story dialogue to fit the flow of the game. Example is when the prophet tells you he is going to need some time to think (this is because its the same dialogue from when the main story used to come to you every few levels) and then instantly appears to you again when you leave his hideout. It doesnt make sense. I considered myself a new player since i had not played for a long time and as a new player its very distracting and confusing. Very very bad design choice they did there. So much so that it has soured the game for me.

Final Fantasy Online - Played it up until level 30. At first i didnt like it at all, thought it was another one of those silly asian mmorpgs with anime emotes and furry animals. What got me somewhat into it is the job system. There are many jobs like blacksmithing and carpentry and for a while it had me hooked. Its not as in depth as i first thought it was but still it was decent. However i realised and asked myself, am i really prepared to pay for this game (the trial was until level 35)... is this game worth my money... and the answer to that was no. It wasnt. 

Black Desert Online - This is arguably the game that comes closest to what im looking for. But again, i disect it and find out that it has issues that i probably will never be able to look past. RNG, the game has allot of RNG and i just absolutely hate it. Honestly when i played BDO i had to completely ignore (basically pretend its not there) the aspects where RNG played a role just to be able to enjoy myself. Its fairly p2w as well which is allways a bad thing. The more i played BDO the more i found myself having to make a game that i liked within the game that it is if that makes sense. It had many of the things i want in my mmorpg but all these other things i didnt like where kind of just poking at me as if its trying to tell me "hey, remember this shitty thing that you really dont like?".
The UI, by god the UI. I will never understand why they decided on many of the things in the UI, theres just so much shit on there that is just not needed. An absolute clusterfuck. When you dismount your horse the huge green arrow above your horse with the word "PARKING"... did they just assume most people that were going to play their game are absolute retards? I never reached any kind of end game but from what i heard it was basically pvp, pvp and more pvp. I enjoy me some pvp sure but i really dont wanna pvp all the time.
All of these things eventually became just to much for me to overlook and i stopped playing. 

Currently playing: 

Riders of Icarus - A simple but decent game. Obviously the main thing that drew me to trying it out is the mount/pet system. Im not sure how well its going to be able to keep me around because the playerbase is pretty low and im not really prepared to spend my time in a game that is maybe even going to shut down within a year or two. 

Looking forward to:

Bless Online - The game looks decent enough for me to atleast want to give it a try. My hopes are not that high though, i have already seen a couple things that dont really go well with me. One of those being how big but empty the world seems to be. Big fan of how open the open world seems to be but as some people have pointed out there are a ton of areas where its very plain and nothing going on. I would put my money on that Bless looks to have success initially and then quickly losing players. I can see it being pretty empty within 3-4 months. But lets hope theres more to it i guess. 

Feel free to say whatever you want as a reply. The games that i say i have stopped playing are not games i wouldnt play again, if you want to make some points on why i should give a game another chance go for it i would happily read through it. Although if you want to do that for lets say Wildstar then the points would have to be out of this world as i have rarely been so bored as i was playing Wildstar.

Comments

• VedixszVedixsz Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I forgot to mention Archeage, could have been the perfect mmorpg for me but as we all know they ruined it and now i wouldnt even give it a chance really. There is noone playing it and we can likly expect them to make even more controversial decisions in the future so why bother.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    wait for monster hunter world it releases on 27 January on ps4 and x-bone.
    Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
    Kingdom Come Deliverance
    Code Vein
    Raquis said:
    wait for monster hunter world it releases on 27 January on ps4 and x-bone.
    Ni no Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom
    Kingdom Come Deliverance
    Code Vein
    Im not a console gamer, actually dont even own a console currently. I will check the other ones out. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    The only pattern I see in your playstyle/games is that you never get far enough into a game for other people to matter.   So there isn't really a way for someone to even know what to recommend, since "the reason why other people matter" is a big part of why you you would pick one MMO over another MMO or even another game.

Though looking at BDO and your love for Games in Games you could try EVE Online for that, since it's the master of such gameplay.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You sound like you've played almost everything and are in MMO burnout mode. You're also asking for a combination that doesn't really exist; non-Asian, sandbox, loads of mounts and pets. Then, all the games you have been drawn to are theme parks.

Based on what you've said there's only one game I think you might like and probably haven't tried yet:

Albion Online 

Failing that, I recommend spending some time with single player games instead until you are in the mood for an MMO again.
    Kyleran
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    edited December 2017
    anemo said:
    The only pattern I see in your playstyle/games is that you never get far enough into a game for other people to matter.   So there isn't really a way for someone to even know what to recommend, since "the reason why other people matter" is a big part of why you you would pick one MMO over another MMO or even another game.

Though looking at BDO and your love for Games in Games you could try EVE Online for that, since it's the master of such gameplay.
    Thats the thing i absolutely need to enjoy the journey up to the point where people start to matter. I like playing through different races and classes, im not one for having one character and just being in it to reach end game pvp like many people are. I cant do that, i need to enjoy the game way before that. 

I figured EVE Online would be suggested, did try it once way back. Was so confused had no idea what i was doing. Maybe i give it another go.
    You sound like you've played almost everything and are in MMO burnout mode. You're also asking for a combination that doesn't really exist; non-Asian, sandbox, loads of mounts and pets. Then, all the games you have been drawn to are theme parks.

Based on what you've said there's only one game I think you might like and probably haven't tried yet:

Albion Online 

Failing that, I recommend spending some time with single player games instead until you are in the mood for an MMO again.
    Hmm im not sure. The thing is i stopped being interested in singel player years ago, my last singel player game was Red Dead Redemption and i only got that one because im a huge fan of the wild west and because the story in Red Dead is fantastic. 

Albion Online is a intersting one. I remember way back when i first heard about it and they were so pushy on the pvp part. Felt like every other day i was hearing something about Albion and pvp. I was meh about it beccause as i said a game that claims to focus so much on one thing is not really something that peaks my interest. But then after a few months they started showing of some other things like having your own plot for housing and farmland, even animals. That did peak my interest and i had it on my radar. And then it felt like they scraped the whole thing about that part and went back to pvp this pvp that. And now i dont hear anything other than players leaving the game and Albion dieing. Sadly.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    How about something a bit indie and off the chain like Life is Feudal MMO, in beta and just about to launch I think?
    mgilbrtsn

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2017
    Vedixsz said:

Albion Online is a intersting one. I remember way back when i first heard about it and they were so pushy on the pvp part. Felt like every other day i was hearing something about Albion and pvp. I was meh about it beccause as i said a game that claims to focus so much on one thing is not really something that peaks my interest. But then after a few months they started showing of some other things like having your own plot for housing and farmland, even animals. That did peak my interest and i had it on my radar. And then it felt like they scraped the whole thing about that part and went back to pvp this pvp that. And now i dont hear anything other than players leaving the game and Albion dieing. Sadly.
    It's not really dying but it's not getting the audience it deserves because it's BTP and there's no trial/demo. That's the main thing it's got wrong, very wrong.

It's not really PvP focused.. it's player driven systems focused.

PvP is similar to how it works in Black Desert, there's safe zones, medium zones and full PvP zones. It is possible to play the game without ever having to PvP if you wanted to. You can lose items but it not like you'd lose something you can't replace, ever. Everything is crafted. It can't be compared to losing the items you have in WoW, for example. It's just not the same thing.

You're wrong though, they focus a lot on the personal sandbox elements and recent updates have actually added a lot more content to that type of thing.

It's a shame about the buy in price.. otherwise you could just see for yourself and make up your own mind.

Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Vedixsz said:
    anemo said:

Thats the thing i absolutely need to enjoy the journey up to the point where people start to matter. I like playing though different races and classes, im not one for having one character and just being in it to reach end game pvp like many people are. I cant do that, i need to enjoy the game way before that. 

I figured EVE Online would be suggested, did try it once way back. Was so confused had no idea what i was doing. Maybe i give it another go.
    Be honest here... are you playing mostly by yourself or are you running with other players ALL THE TIME?  Because if you play an MMO by yourself, the other players are merely a resource to you.   I need 4 others to run this dungeon, but outside of that, I could care less if I ever see or speak to them.

MMOs are supposed to be social games, games in which things like questing is done while chatting it up about whatever.  Not a laundry list of things that need to get done as efficiently as possible.  

If you play them solo, then you really aren't looking for an MMO.  You're looking for something more like Skyrim.  

Most of the people who play MMOs these days are the lets get to endgame now because that is all I care to do... queue up for some quick dungeon... basically turn it into a lobby game.

Kyleran
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I really like The Division which has nearly all elements mentioned.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

It's not really dying but it's not getting the audience it deserves because it's BTP and there's no trial/demo. That's the main thing it's got wrong, very wrong.

It's not really PvP focused.. it's player driven systems focused. So, the players kind of determine if it's PvP or PvE focused and it changes.

You're wrong though, they focus a lot on the personal sandbox elements and recent updates have actually added a lot more content to that type of thing.

It's a shame about the buy in price.. otherwise you could just see for yourself and make up your own mind.

Right so im assuming you play Albion?
    I just saw that its on sale and is 19.95 currently. Would you say that its worth that price? Would i need to spend money on things after that?
    edited December 2017
    btdt said:

Be honest here... are you playing mostly by yourself or are you running with other players ALL THE TIME?  Because if you play an MMO by yourself, the other players are merely a resource to you.   I need 4 others to run this dungeon, but outside of that, I could care less if I ever see or speak to them.

MMOs are supposed to be social games, games in which things like questing is done while chatting it up about whatever.  Not a laundry list of things that need to get done as efficiently as possible.  

If you play them solo, then you really aren't looking for an MMO.  You're looking for something more like Skyrim.  

Most of the people who play MMOs these days are the lets get to endgame now because that is all I care to do... queue up for some quick dungeon... basically turn it into a lobby game.

It depends, there are certain things i prefer doing by myself and there are things that i like doing with people. If im doing crafting, resource gathering or something like that then i prefer doing it by myself obviously. Dungeons, world bosses or just games that have some kind of a party bonus when doing open world stuff i obviously want to do with people. 
    I tend to want to read the quests and get into the lore... as i value a game that can tell a good quality story. Another thing i dont like asian mmorpgs for, most tend to have the most ridiculous stories.

I like interacting with other people in my mmorpgs, i like seeing other people around. I love trading, player driven economy is great when its actually active.
    Vedixsz said:

It's not really PvP focused.. it's player driven systems focused. So, the players kind of determine if it's PvP or PvE focused and it changes.

Right so im assuming you play Albion?
    I just saw that its on sale and is 19.95 currently. Would you say that its worth that price? Would i need to spend money on things after that?
    I'm playing Destiny 2 and LOTRO at the moment. Not Albion... I wasn't just trying to push the game I'm currently playing. I will play it again though.

You won't need to spend any more money, cash shop is only cosmetic. There is a currency exchange option, but it's not needed.

If you like the game it's easily worth the price.

Look at some video reviews on YouTube and see if you're really interested. I don't want to be to blame for you wasting your money if you don't like it  ;)

Definitely look at this video:

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I actually like D2 also.  Good casual game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Op your game does not exist,sorry for that info but i seek a complete game as well.
    As for Asian games,i agree that 99% are down right silly,but i played FFXI for years and it is anything but silly,but aged and no real voice acting but there is some.If you missed the depth,you needed a vet player to teach you more of the game,as it most certainly has a mega ton of depth,imo more than any game out there but a lot is hidden.Yes the job system is amazing,funny other devs continue to make very weak character designs that revolve ONLY around raiding for gear.Attaining at level 30 the stronger jobs is pretty important,the Ninja and Dancer are staples to any JOB build.

EQ2 and even EQ1 had some elements you seek,EQ1 is imo just too dated.If you can handle an identical game to Wow,EQ2 is imo a much better game as it has housing,better graphics and so much more.Before i got bored of Themepark/hand holding games ,i enjoyed EQ2 for several years,on/off for like 5-7 years.I basically quit playing thanks to Smedly,he is/was an idiot,ruined everything gaming with his greed to move to cash shops.

I have played most those other games,the gW2 and TESo and LOTRO,i couldn't be interested to login past the first day ,i feel they were designed very shallow and boring to me.

So good luck in your search,contrary to belief,there are not many good games inc,Pantheon "might" be the best and i don't expect much there either as gaming is too costly now for any dev to commit long term investment to make a great game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Vedixsz said:
    I have been trying to get into a mmorpg lately and have been having a hard time getting into any of them long term.

Isn't the solution obvious? Don't play MMORPG long term. Hop around or play single player games. There are also tons of online games if you want to play with others. 

I'm playing Destiny 2 and LOTRO at the moment. Not Albion... I wasn't just trying to push the game I'm currently playing. I will play it again though.

You won't need to spend any more money, cash shop is only cosmetic. There is a currency exchange option, but it's not needed.

If you like the game it's easily worth the price.

Look at some video reviews on YouTube and see if you're really interested. I don't want to be to blame for you wasting your money if you don't like it  ;)

Definitely look at this video:

I actually tried LOTRO the other day and i had some fun with it, got very repetitive after a while and the combat system is clunky at best but had a few hours of fun in there xD

Watched a few vids of Albion and its so 50-50... I just watched a Fevir vid on Albion if you know who that is and he claims that the game is pay to win. He straight up says that you can spend money and gain an advantage. I feel like i could enjoy the game because it has some things in there that i really like but i dont wanna jump into a pay wall.
    Wizardry said:
    Op your game does not exist,sorry for that info but i seek a complete game as well.
    As for Asian games,i agree that 99% are down right silly,but i played FFXI for years and it is anything but silly,but aged and no real voice acting but there is some.If you missed the depth,you needed a vet player to teach you more of the game,as it most certainly has a mega ton of depth,imo more than any game out there but a lot is hidden.Yes the job system is amazing,funny other devs continue to make very weak character designs that revolve ONLY around raiding for gear.Attaining at level 30 the stronger jobs is pretty important,the Ninja and Dancer are staples to any JOB build.

EQ2 and even EQ1 had some elements you seek,EQ1 is imo just too dated.If you can handle an identical game to Wow,EQ2 is imo a much better game as it has housing,better graphics and so much more.Before i got bored of Themepark/hand holding games ,i enjoyed EQ2 for several years,on/off for like 5-7 years.I basically quit playing thanks to Smedly,he is/was an idiot,ruined everything gaming with his greed to move to cash shops.

I have played most those other games,the gW2 and TESo and LOTRO,i couldn't be interested to login past the first day ,i feel they were designed very shallow and boring to me.

So good luck in your search,contrary to belief,there are not many good games inc,Pantheon "might" be the best and i don't expect much there either as gaming is too costly now for any dev to commit long term investment to make a great game.
    The thing is though i feel like i have seen that game! My mind has taken elements from all these games and put them together into what i think would be the ideal mmorpg. Im not saying that i could make the best mmorpg ever im not that arrogant lol, and its subjective you know just because i think something in a game is fun doesnt mean everyone else does. 
    But i know that the game im looking for is possible and a few have come close. Archeage like i said was really really close, just such a shame they ruined it. If Archeage didnt go to absolute shit i would without a doubt be playing it and this thread wouldnt exist.
    edited December 2017
    Vedixsz said:

Watched a few vids of Albion and its so 50-50... I just watched a Fevir vid on Albion if you know who that is and he claims that the game is pay to win. He straight up says that you can spend money and gain an advantage. I feel like i could enjoy the game because it has some things in there that i really like but i dont wanna jump into a pay wall.
    I've seen that video before. You need to listen to everything he says really.. He's says you can pay to gain an advantage but just because you can P2W doesn't mean the game 'is' P2W. He also says later in the video that it would be more beneficial to buy an extra account instead buying gold.

That's the only reason it can be considered P2W, because you can buy gold. You can also grind out as much gold as you want with time as well. Nothing is behind a paywall.

He also claims PvP is king in the game.. but then stresses that you can play the game how you want to play. Kind of contradicts himself. I think he just enjoyed the PvP the most.
    Vedixsz said:
    I have been trying to get into a mmorpg lately and have been having a hard time getting into any of them long term.

Isn't the solution obvious? Don't play MMORPG long term. Hop around or play single player games. There are also tons of online games if you want to play with others. 

You know what, i really wish it was that simple xD
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Tried LOTRO? Older game but still beautiful, just enough mix of old school and modern amenities. Free to try and play, for the most part.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Vedixsz said:
    Vedixsz said:

You know what, i really wish it was that simple xD
    It is. It is not like there is a lack of good games to play. I find it silly, for me, to stick to any one game.

Heck, i don't even stick to a single player game before i finish it. I have so many games on steam, origin access and battlenet that i just play whatever i please at the moment. Anything else is suboptimal and too much work. 
    Kyleran
    I've seen that video before. You need to listen to everything he says really.. He's says you can pay to gain an advantage but just because you can P2W doesn't mean the game 'is' P2W. He also says later in the video that it would be more beneficial to buy an extra account instead buying gold.

That's the only reason it can be considered P2W, because you can buy gold. You can also grind out as much gold as you want with time as well. Nothing is behind a paywall.

He also claims PvP is king in the game.. but then stresses that you can play the game how you want to play. Kind of contradicts himself. I think he just enjoyed the PvP the most.
    Well im tempted to get Albion, will have to do some more research though. If i do get it will be on the sale as im thinking 20 bucks is as much i would be willing to pay for a game that i dont actually know that im going to enjoy. 
    Thank you for clearing it up for me i didnt quite get what he was saying initially.
    DMKano said:

Archeage has some pretty big stuff coming up for next year. Might want to check it out after 4.0 launch later this month.
    Uhh Archeage has so much bagage attached to it now though, i doubt anything they do would get a significant amount of players back. They fucked their players beyond belief. Some of the customer service stories i have heard are absolute nightmares.