Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online Questions

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys, I'm looking for a space PvE experience to balance out the PvP of EVE Online.  Is it too late to join STO?  How's the population?  What, exactly, do you do in-game?  Thanks!

Comments

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Probably not too late no.  I'm going to go with pop is 'fair'.  I see alot of ships (players) hanging out around the space stations and just flying through space, plus there are still some active fleets (guilds) to join which will help.

As to what you do ..... Pretty standard MMO.  Get a mission which will either how you fly to a system and do a space battle with spots you need to 'check off' i.e.  Go X, Scan for X, Ambush!, Defend / Defeat X.  Or you'll go to a planet and do ground combat, which follows along with the above stuff.

Best part is the 23c missions where you create a character and do a total of 6 missions set up like the old Classic TV show.  Alas, after those you're back in the normal future ST world.

You do have some different races you can play, some more fully fleshed out than others.  All in all a decent casual game.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Honestly, there's no such thing in space games currently unless you are looking for SWTOR. 
    sumdumguy1psychosiz1Huntrezz
  • MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74
    @Moirae

That makes zero sense.... Eve Online is in Space, Star Trek Online is in space.

I would put SWTOR in the NOT space column.

@MightyUnclean

STO also has some great story arcs that finish out some of the loose ends from the TV Shows (TNG, DS9, and Voyager). I would pick it up just go through the story Arcs, and they change slightly depending on the faction you are.

Happy Hunting,
    sumdumguy1Po_gg
    edited October 2017
    And Eve and STO don't HAVE PvE (or rather, have it as an afterthought so it's not done nearly as well as their pvp). Think. If you are looking for PvE, then go a PvE oriented space themed game like SWTOR. Now that I have explained it to you, does it make more sense? I should never have had to go in to this much detail about what I meant because it was obvious. 
    GdemamiPo_ggsumdumguy1psychosiz1Huntrezz
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Moirae said:
    And Eve and STO don't HAVE PvE (or rather, have it as an afterthought so it's not done nearly as well as their pvp).
    I know Gdemami is dishing out LOLs like there's no tomorrow ( :wink: ) but in this case I have to agree... afterthought? STO is all about PvE, at launch you couldn't even roll a Klingon before finishing the story with your SF... and Klingons were an afterthought for years, a smaller sector, much less story, starting at level 20, etc. They only got their level 1-20 content when Cryptic added Romulans into the mix.

Funny thing is, with all modes counted, your precious TOR has more pvp than STO :smiley:
    sumdumguy1Viper482Scotty787Scorchien
    Po_gg said:
    Moirae said:
    And Eve and STO don't HAVE PvE (or rather, have it as an afterthought so it's not done nearly as well as their pvp).
    I know Gdemami is dishing out LOLs like there's no tomorrow ( :wink: ) but in this case I have to agree... afterthought? STO is all about PvE, at launch you couldn't even roll a Klingon before finishing the story with your SF... and Klingons were an afterthought for years, a smaller sector, much less story, starting at level 20, etc. They only got their level 1-20 content when Cryptic added Romulans into the mix.

Funny thing is, with all modes counted, your precious TOR has more pvp than STO :smiley:
    I don't play either one. So stop being rude please. 
    sumdumguy1Scotty787Po_gg
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Personally I would stay away from STO.  Read the reviews and see why so many people don't play.  There are better space sims out there, pretty much anything else. 
    psychosiz1HuntrezzKeller
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I played it for awhile enjoyed it.  It got way to complicated later on with leveling, crew, ship, and a lot of other things.  But it's worth it to follow the starting stories, level your character, and go on those missions and then decide if you want to continue or not.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Personally I would stay away from STO.  Read the reviews and see why so many people don't play.  There are better space sims out there, pretty much anything else. 
    This pretty much sums it up.  Its pretty bad and an embarrassment to the Star Trek name.  There are mobile Star Trek games that are much better.  I played and after a month or so, I finally started to see what so many people were saying.
    Huntrezz
  • iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Not sure what Moirae is on about, there's practically no active PVP in STO. Everything is PVE based, matter of fact once you get your top level ship and gear fleshed out in your ship. You might start with joining in on some of the crazy DPS races for the raids and active events. There's tons of content and story arc's in the game that makes it worthwhile.

Ironically I'm not even a star trek fan, so I actually ended up learning a lot of the background lore from the game. It had me a peeled for a good year about 2-3 years back when I was in a gaming lull. I haven't been active in it for over a year now so I can't comment on population but I do keep up with the updates. I know they added a lot of more stuff now thanks to the new show.

Overall, MMO wise I'd give it a solid 7/10, it'll scratch your space itch that you're seeking for at least a little while. It's actually a game where you find out really quickly whether you will like it or not, none of that "wait til cap!" crap. Although I will say the ground combat and story lines are a little more interesting mid to upper levels.
    Po_gg

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2017
    STO isn't really the same kind of game as EVE. You should look into Star Conflict, Star Citizen or Elite Dangerous.

The best PvE space sim experiences are probably single player though. Take a look at Everspace, Rebel Galaxy and, of course, the X series if multiplayer isn't a big requirement for you. No Man's Sky is actually much improved now after the updates but will probably never recover from it's bad reputation after it's launch.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    There's too much cashshop in STO to make it enjoyable at endgame.

Newest lootboxes usually have the modules (and ships) that goes with the "flavor of the month" best in slot. You don't have to spend $$, you can buy it from the auction house, but prepare to farm gold really hard!

Like SWOTOR, I enjoyed the singleplayer leveling. Living in my own fantasy bubble, but then you start playing with other players in the most possible alien ships. They's have added some retro skins for highest tier ships, but you can't really fly the ship you really want most of the time.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Yeah, I played STO for the PvE.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    It's F2P.

If you you are just playing for PVE, then it should cost you nothing.  I played it for about 6 months and had some good fun at absolutely zero cost.   The space combat missions were the most enjoyable aspect for me, but land based weren't bad either.  Either way nothing to lose here.

As to whether it is a good Star Trek game, that is up for debate.   

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I don't remember liking STO at all....Good space games are very hard to find.....I even played Anarchy online for years to get muy space fix.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Moirae said:
    I don't play either one. So stop being rude please. 
    Rude? Where? :smiley:
    You barged in with "STO don't HAVE PvE ... go a PvE oriented space themed game like SWTOR" and I just corrected that BS. But if you don't play either one, then it kinda makes sense... :sunglasses:

Not sure what Moirae is on about, there's practically no active PVP in STO. Everything is PVE based, matter of fact once you get your top level ship and gear fleshed out in your ship. [...]
    This ^^
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    The game is not quite as standard as some suggest. Though it is similar to most themepark MMORPGs in that you are led along a golden path as you level, and then do whatever repetitive tasks to you like most or hate least to advance at the end, there is difference in the method.

This is mainly due to the game not being so much the adventure of one character, but rather the crew itself. For example, in space missions you manually fly the ship and choose the actions taken, but the abilities of your bridge crew greatly influence the available actions. Facing and maneuvering are fairly important in these battles as the various shields protecting the ship can be independently depleted and collapsed, making the ship much more vulnerable to damage from subsequent strikes from that direction.

If the player wishes more depth in ship combat, he can elect to play in a more advanced mode where individual ship systems can be damaged causing a temporary related impairment that must be resolved before those systems can be used again... provided you had the foresight to bring the required components with you into battle.

This is similarly true in non-ship engagements, where it isn't how you play your character alone that determines the outcome. It is also influenced by how well you prepare and support your away team, and how well they support you, that determines the final result.

The game has a fair amount of differences in play from many MMORPGs actually, and I'm not really the best equipped to detail them for you, being very much a novice myself. I suggest looking on youtube or similar for some in depth introductory  of lets play videos that can give justice to the depth and nuances of the game so you can get a good idea of what it offers.
    Tuor7
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2017
    STO is a great Space game with a strong pop and tons of PVE content to do , and you can lvl 1-60 without spending a dime if you choose ...Game is also prettu involved at end game as there are numerous ways to tweek yourself ,your ship ,your Space Crew and Away Team ..

Now granted imo you must really lvl to 32 ish to feel the game start to take shape, thats when you begin to become more involved and its more fun