Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - Our Curse of Osiris Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2 - Our Curse of Osiris Review - MMORPG.com

People have been wanting some new content for Destiny 2, and they got it yesterday with the launch of Curse of Osiris - the first DLC for Bungie’s MMO shooter. Bringing with is hours of new story, tons of new weapons and gear to hunt down, new PVP, and new PVE options, players should be satiated... for at least a week. That’s the way of the gamer, my friends. This is our Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris review in progress.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    I have no problem paying for goods, just tired of buying new games that are going to exclude content so they can sell it to me a few weeks after release. If you could expand the game this soon you could have just included it in the release. Just another practice turning me off from gaming in general.
    onelesslightRemyVorenderAnthurDeadrites87Lazarus71djnj2000AlomarmyxeTyseried_20and 9 others.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Drac14Drac14 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited December 2017
    Well, I think you're a bit out of the loop. Bungie is on contract to make a D3 and D4 and have already started on D3.

Curious to see if they wipe all our progress again in D3 and the thematic reason for it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Honestly, 8 out of 10 is pretty steep for such a shallow, low value offering. Hardly got anything for your money.
    Samhaelmarganculosd_20CryolitycalThuplirojoArcueidtomahawk1930Phixion13Chills05LionShardand 1 other.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

Honestly, 8 out of 10 is pretty steep for such a shallow, low value offering. Hardly got anything for your money.

hm, i have gotten a hell of a lot for my money ..
    BillMurphy[Deleted User]Phixion13BananaSoup

jgDuffay said:

hm, i have gotten a hell of a lot for my money ..

I could flick a pen around a table for 1000 hrs if I wanted to. That doesn't mean I got a lot for my money when I bought it.
    Deadrites87Spellshaperd_20Zenerentomahawk1930Phixion13[Deleted User]
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Guys, it's OK to not like Destiny 2. But it's ALSO OK to like it a lot.
    Rosenborg[Deleted User]Viper482WraithoneThupliklash2deftomahawk1930LionShardPhixion13rodingoand 1 other.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's a nice DLC and I like that you can play for a short while and feel like you've done something. Still don't like limited ammo and weapons types.

The Division has a free expansion that really sucked me in with good A.I. bad guys that engaged me well and held my attention for hours.
    d_20

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited December 2017
    No one said they didn't like it.

Liking something doesn't mean you automatically ignore it's faults, especially when it comes to the business model.
    Octagon7711Viper482AlomarSamhaeld_20ZenerenThupliklash2deftomahawk1930RemyVorenderand 4 others.
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    edited December 2017
    Limited ammo infuriates me other than that it's OK-ish. It seems I like looter-shooters but would prefer if they cranked it to eleven. Environments however are among the most boring ever created for a video game. Gun-play tho feels quite satisfactory (limited ammo aside) and freedom of movement and responsiveness is top notch. 

I actually went back and re-watched Anthem video just to make sure I wasn't imagining things regarding environments and was face-palming through out the video.
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    would rate it a 7 realy not alot of content even when you play very casual , same as base game realy . Think they could add so much more than just story mission and few publics . Atleast make more dungeon group content cannot be that hard since alot is recycled stuff anyway in destiny
    Octagon7711Phixion13
    edited December 2017
    Torval said:

Liking something doesn't mean you automatically ignore it's faults, especially when it comes to the business model.
    So you like shallow offerings that are of low value and hardly worth the money. I'll be sure to remember that when you comment highly about a game, that your standards aren't very high.

If you have an actual criticism then you'd have a lot more to stand on. Thoughtless grandstanding isn't criticism.
    Ah, another feeble attempt at trying to twist words or pull things out of context from Torval. 

I like Destiny 2's gameplay, I wish the expansion was better, longer and offered more. I'm criticising the expansion, not Destiny 2.

This review is for the expansion, right? It's not just a "How much do we like Destiny? 8/10" article, is it?

You see, I'm confused here, I look at something like Path of Fire that offers hundreds of hours of actual content, new features, multiple maps, new class builds, hundred of new items, etc. and I just laugh at this kind of thing. I mean, what is the standard for comparison here? What is the 8/10 being compared to?

You're clearly a Destiny fan, surely you wish this expansion had at least five times the content. What they've released is a poor effort that didn't require a lot of development resources. We deserve better.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    AlomarThupliRoin
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2017
    krea said:
    would rate it a 7 realy not alot of content even when you play very casual , same as base game realy . Think they could add so much more than just story mission and few publics . Atleast make more dungeon group content cannot be that hard since alot is recycled stuff anyway in destiny
    It feel more like an arcade game.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it on a mobile platform one day. As I've said before the thing that impresses me about the game are how apps are supported for ingame management and voiced AI through Alexa skills, I really hope that catches on with other games one day.

Destiny 2 Ghost Amazon Echo Dot

You can also use the skill with just a cell phone.

Loadouts

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Of course it is okay to like it Bill! You have to know by now any time you put your opinion out there people will both agree and disagree with it equally.....and the majority of people who take time to express their opinion will be those who disagree ;)
    snakemason
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Viper482 said:

Of course it is okay to like it Bill! You have to know by now any time you put your opinion out there people will both agree and disagree with it equally.....and the majority of people who take time to express their opinion will be those who disagree ;)
    Agreed. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Torval said:
    Torval said:

So you like shallow offerings that are of low value and hardly worth the money. I'll be sure to remember that when you comment highly about a game, that your standards aren't very high.

If you have an actual criticism then you'd have a lot more to stand on. Thoughtless grandstanding isn't criticism.
    Ah, another feeble attempt at trying to twist words or pull things out of context from Torval. 

I like Destiny 2's gameplay, I wish the expansion was better, longer and offered more. I'm criticising the expansion, not Destiny 2.

This review is for the expansion right? It's not just a "How much do we like Destiny? 8/10" article, is it?

You see, I'm confused here. I look at something like Path of Fire that offers hundreds of hours of actual content, new features, multiple maps, new class builds, hundred of new items, etc. and I just laugh at this kind of thing. I mean, what is standard for comparison here? What is the 8/10 being compared to?

You're clearly a Destiny fan, surely you wish this expansion had at least five times the content. What they've released is a poor effort that didn't require a lot of development resources. We deserve better.
    No, another say what you mean "bullshit detector" post from Torval. If you say things like "it's crap, but hey I never said I didn't like it", then yeah, I'm calling that. It's called backpedalling.
    It's not backpedalling, you just don't follow forum posts properly. I'll guide you through what happened:

I said the expansion is crap
    Bill said: "It's ok not to like Destiny 2"
    I said no one said they didn't like Destiny 2
    You're illiterate or something and thought you had a chance to attack
    I explained I think the expansion is crap which isn't the same as thinking Destiny is crap as a whole.
    You refuse to quit as usual even though, deep down, you know you've made a mistake in your reading.

You're not good at using forums Torval. You don't understand things properly.
    WraithoneBananaSoup
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

This review is for the expansion right? It's not just a "How much do we like Destiny? 8/10" article, is it?

You see, I'm confused here. I look at something like Path of Fire that offers hundreds of hours of actual content, new features, multiple maps, new class builds, hundred of new items, etc. and I just laugh at this kind of thing. I mean, what is standard for comparison here? What is the 8/10 being compared to?

No, another say what you mean "bullshit detector" post from Torval. If you say things like "it's crap, but hey I never said I didn't like it", then yeah, I'm calling that. It's called backpedalling.

Do you really want to compare an MMO with a pay to win cash shop and RMT game cash conversion with a mutliplayer shooter that costs $90? You're either paying to boost that progression in GW2 or you're grinding your way through it Battle Front 2 style. Either way, it's a very different game and environment.

To answer your question, the game cost me $90 total since I bought the base and pass together as a bundle. I have 70 hours in the base game. I don't have to buy inventory, storage, unlocks, a subscription, or anything like that. I can solo or group to my hearts content on a single progression path. Compared to the time sink money hole that is most any traditional MMO, this is a good deal for me.
    Funny that, I got the base game, HoT , and PoF with multiple character boosts from ArenaNet for $50.  What was that you were saying in other threads about conjuring issues without supporting it with any real fact, again?
    Thupli

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

It's not backpedalling, you just don't follow forum posts properly. I'll guide you through what happened:

I said the expansion is crap
    Bill said: "It's ok not to like Destiny 2"
    I said no one said they didn't like Destiny 2
    You're illiterate or something and thought you had a chance to attack
    I explained I think the expansion is crap which isn't the same as thinking Destiny is crap as a whole.
    You refuse to quit as usual even though, deep down, you know you've made a mistake in your reading.

You're not good at using forums Torval. You don't understand things properly.

So boring...
    AlomarBananaSoup
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    MORENA BACCARIN - SAGIRA

you were close.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Personally, i would rate it 6/10.

Why?

For me story was non existent. There is that lock who got trapped in Vex simulation. Go find him. Thats it. He is supposedly all powerfull etc but meh.

Infinite forest bored me before the expansion story ended. It is not a good thing, if we realize that it takes 3 hours to beat the story.
    It bored me because there are couple of tiles, not really rotating very well. Almost all instances look same even if the road from point to point looked different.

Sagira got props, but overall ghosts in this game are witty bunch.

Mercury is abysmal, really, really abysmal. Short, boring visuals, not able to use sparrows (probably to artifically extend the zone). We can use enemy vehicles tho.

There is ONE lost sector and MAYBE two events? Which heroic one is just boring and easy to screw up even IF nobody is sabotaging it. Also, done heroic event and get 2 tokens and blue. Meme is strong.

Basically, visual, sound and gameplay carry it above mediocrity. There are fun banter, mostly from Sagira. Both Osiris and Ikora are not really interesting characters as far as i realize. Ikora was interesting in her fear of death but now he full out and full off shit lock. Boring.

I like the new itemization, but only prometheus lens is worthwhile from min max standpoint. The "explosion on hit" perk need to be removed or nerfed heavily, because, as for now, weapons with that perk reign supreme.
    d_20
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Viper482 said:

I have no problem paying for goods, just tired of buying new games that are going to exclude content so they can sell it to me a few weeks after release. If you could expand the game this soon you could have just included it in the release. Just another practice turning me off from gaming in general.

Probably Curse of Osiris was not done before base game was done.
    You do know that game go through a couple of stages between devs stops working on it and hitting the shelves right? Where the base game team is just twitching their thumbs because they have nothing to do? And you need still to pay them ofc.
    So, yeah, im kinda tired of this shitty attitude that every dlc post launch is cut content. Nothing in this dlc looks like being cut from the base game, even if the dlc is not very impressive.
    Also, team was working on it for 3 months, game was released in september.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    well....ummmm like it or not,yeah kind of obvious,except for one VERY big factor,i am waiting to here the WHY?

Way back early year,Bill remember all too well because he got mad some complained he called it a MMO,that is not where i am going with this.
    Where i am going is at that time,NOTHING was released on the game,no dates ..notta NOTHING<yet this site started on the D2 threads and Bill CLAIMED it was good for the industry !!!

Ok how so NOT knowing a single thing about the game at that time?

So then this site wonders why people are always saying ...sponsored...if it looks THAT suspicious,it most certainly is up to no good,some misleading,deceptive marketing there.One doesn't have to be factually sponsored to try and butter up to a potential or incoming arrangement with said business partner.
    That original FIRST thread smelled big time of an incoming business partnered arrangement.In other words a biased opinion,i mean seriously Bill has been of late claiming to be playing a lot of EVERY single game this site makes a thread on,geesh must have 60 hours a day to game or what?

We need to get back to honesty and less of the business approach,it is way more fun discussing games under the guise of honesty.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Btw serious reviewers like those of The Angry Joe and many You Tubers,they make game play videos because they are serious.Sure they likely have business arrangements as well but at least their videos look like legit serious reviews.
    [Deleted User]BananaSoup

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CryolitycalCryolitycal Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I am really conflicted on Destiny 2. Disclaimer: I paid with my money for it and the expansion pass. I have no relations to any dev or anything of the sort. This is purely gamer opinion.

So.

- I love the shooting, the lore (more like what the lore COULD be, if put in the game in its entirety...)
    - I love the graphics and how it runs on PC
    - I love the PvP, yeah, most hate it, I prefer it slower&tactical, the Lens showcased how idiotic fast TTK is
    - I like the raids and strikes of all sorts
    - I fully understand this is not an MMO but a shooter with DLCs

However.

- what the hell is with MTX if we paid 60-90 USD for the game already? What the hell was it with the XP throttling and manipulation? Holy hell the greed...
    - what in the world is with the reward system? How the hell is gear from doing events just the same as doing the raid, basically? Why would I wanna do the raids if I will end up with max light gear anyway from milestones? And even if I end up like 330 instead of 335, NOBODY cares and it's irrelevant
    - what the hell is with the PvP rewards? Where the hell is Trials matchmaking? Why weapons from OUTSIDE Trials are better than Trials weapons?

To put it short, the rewards from "elite" activities are nowhere to be found. Most people want rewards on par with the time investment and skill requirement.

As for this DLC, you can run through mobs and finish it in one damn hour. Then the same process begins of "do a strike, do the raid, do a bit of PvP, turn in, play something else gg". Lost Verse weapons? pretty crap. Not worth the grind - and they are like 3/week anyway. Nothing else remains.

Such a weird game with such a weird reward structure.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Bungie and Activision have really made a mess of things with the new DLC for Destiny2. One of the biggest threats to any online multiplayer game is when you segregate the playerbase, thats something that Curse of Osiris does in a particularly egregious way, players who only buy the base game lose access to end game content if they don't also buy the new DLC, so it becomes a seperation of the haves and the have nots, it seems that EA have a new contender for the dubious title of greediest company ever.
    Thats just one issue with Osiris dlc, by now i am sure everyone is more than aware of the issues with a certain overpowered weapon which pretty much decides the outcome of pvp matches based on who has it, and who does not. :o
    Wraithone
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lol game barely out for a month and half on pc, gets level cap increase so people who buy the base game can't even access the content before the dlc went live because entry scaled up....so if you want to do the content you were doing before the dlc, gotta cough up 20 more bucks!
    Phry