Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any active MUDs?

13»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

You can play for free. $25/mo is for premium and you get a bunch of perks. It's really for hardcore role-players. $50/mo is the "gated community" which is separate from the rest of the game who prefer a small closely-knit group to role-play with. There's an option at this level to design new areas for the game. It's purposely kept small by the developer.

Hope this helps.

Wow, there are people willing to pay $25 a month for a text game? Where did the money go? Some 3rd rate writer who cannot write a good novel?
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Their is a draw for text, like reading a book, etc . It lets the mind fill in the movie. 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    WarWitch said:
    Their is a draw for text, like reading a book, etc . It lets the mind fill in the movie. 
    Yep, some people would rather have it this way.

”If players like it and have fun, then it is ‘good’ for them, right?”

Wait, seems I’ve heard that sentence somewhere before...

Yep, some people would rather have it this way.

”If players like it and have fun, then it is ‘good’ for them, right?”

Wait, seems I’ve heard that sentence somewhere before...
    Of course .. it just amazes me that people will find this fun.

If i want good writing, novels are better.

If i want good gameplay, games with graphics are better.

But hey, if i have fun playing MMOs solo, i bet there are some who like reading bad prose as long as they can type in a chat box to "interact" with a literary "world". 
  • zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    https://www.hackmud.com/ Just to add a little 21st century cyber hacking into the mix!
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    There are still beyond a small niche of players playing TEXT games?
    Some companies are still making some money off of them.

Books are still being sold as well, for the small niche of people that read.
    Actually reading book is not a small niche. Look at JK Rowling or John Grisham. I read novels all the time.

But games is about gameplay and NOT good writing/stories. How can one get good gameplay from text? Is it exciting to read "fireball hits you for 6 points" 20 times? 

In fact, i don't play games to get good story and i don't read novels to get gameplay. 
    You see young one, just like a book your mind fills in the gaps. The fireball is as magnificent or as mundain as you imagine it. The NPCs are as monsterous or as weak as your minds I sees them. Still today in so many ways txt and book base RPGs are far superior to any computer mmorpg. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:

You see young one, just like a book your mind fills in the gaps. The fireball is as magnificent or as mundain as you imagine it. The NPCs are as monsterous or as weak as your minds I sees them. Still today in so many ways txt and book base RPGs are far superior to any computer mmorpg. 
    nah .. professional CGI artists beat my, and the imagination of a fireball, of 99% populations. That is why we watch The Avenger on Imax screens, rather than just read Joss Whedon's witty script.

I don't read novels because i can imagine a fireball/scene. I read novels for the plot, twists and characters, which are completely irrelevant to gameplay in video games. 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Is there a monthly option for Gemstone IV? I tried looking at the site (briefly tbh, have to run out so couldn't get a good look) and platinum is 50 dollars a month. Premium is 25? a month (it says 25 extra so dunno)...but then there is no monthly fee of 10 dollars or  15 dollars or however much it is.

Or is there no monthly fee at all? Which would be weird considering that free options are super limited. and if the monthly fee is the premium thing...that is so much more expensive than any MMO lol

Its probably on the site somewhere, but I don't have time to look that great. Or maybe its buy to play or something with a free version to see how you like it. But if so, they definitely want platinum/premium to be the star on their site and hide the monthly/buy to play option.

Guess when I get home later I'll look and see, unless someone responds here.
    You can play for free. $25/mo is for premium and you get a bunch of perks. It's really for hardcore role-players. $50/mo is the "gated community" which is separate from the rest of the game who prefer a small closely-knit group to role-play with. There's an option at this level to design new areas for the game. It's purposely kept small by the developer.

Hope this helps.

There's also a $15 sub for the regular game world.
    bcbully said:
    There are still beyond a small niche of players playing TEXT games?
    Some companies are still making some money off of them.

Books are still being sold as well, for the small niche of people that read.
    Actually reading book is not a small niche. Look at JK Rowling or John Grisham. I read novels all the time.

But games is about gameplay and NOT good writing/stories. How can one get good gameplay from text? Is it exciting to read "fireball hits you for 6 points" 20 times? 

In fact, i don't play games to get good story and i don't read novels to get gameplay. 
    Just remember that @nariusseldon is here to remind us of everything that's wrong with MMO gamers today.
    unfilteredJW

• SaelemSaelem Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Achaea and the other IRE games are super-immersive and great fun. As someone who’s played MMOs going all the way back to EQ1 up to FFXIV and many in between, Achaea is still the world I was most fascinated with. The player run cities, factions and organizations make it very dramatic and real despite being text. The class roleplay options are also awesome. The PvP is ridiculously complex, more than I could ever really wrap my head around outside of basic strategies. The caveat is a very steep cash shop but there are some sales and ways around it without having too deep a wallet.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I enjoy MUDs until they take it too far and have you starve to death or die or dehydration.... Also most of the ones I tried had very poor mapping (if any).....I dont mind games that are somewhere between a MUD and total reliance on graphics, but they are extremely hard to find.
    edited December 2017
    Is there a monthly option for Gemstone IV? I tried looking at the site (briefly tbh, have to run out so couldn't get a good look) and platinum is 50 dollars a month. Premium is 25? a month (it says 25 extra so dunno)...but then there is no monthly fee of 10 dollars or  15 dollars or however much it is.

Or is there no monthly fee at all? Which would be weird considering that free options are super limited. and if the monthly fee is the premium thing...that is so much more expensive than any MMO lol

Its probably on the site somewhere, but I don't have time to look that great. Or maybe its buy to play or something with a free version to see how you like it. But if so, they definitely want platinum/premium to be the star on their site and hide the monthly/buy to play option.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm...must have changed. I haven't played GSIV in a long time. Aardwolf is where I spend most of my time these days.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2017
    Been playing this one for a long time.  
    http://www.hogwartslive.com/

Welcome to Hogwarts Live! We're the best Harry Potter RPG on the net and if you don't believe us just create a character to find out for yourself. 

Hogwarts Live is a free online Harry Potter multiplayer game, which is accessible to the visually impaired (i.e. blind-accessible). Once you start playing you can gain experience points, galleons, and levels by defeating fantastic beasts, unruly Professors, evil Death Eaters, and the infamous Voldemort to claim your title as a Hogwarts Champion.

Hogwarts Live is an interactive browser-based game so there's no download necessary. Meaning you can start playing right away! Attend Hogwarts online, enroll today

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Hope this helps.

Hmmm...must have changed. I haven't played GSIV in a long time. Aardwolf is where I spend most of my time these days.

I really think I would enjoy Aardwolf once I figured it out, but I stalled during the tutorial.  There are just so many commands to try to keep track of...

Hope this helps.

I really think I would enjoy Aardwolf once I figured it out, but I stalled during the tutorial.  There are just so many commands to try to keep track of...
    My advice would be to install Mudlet and set up buttons/aliases for the most common commands.

• SaelemSaelem Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Does Mudlet work for Gemstone and Dragonrealms? I always figured those games required some type of custom client.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2017
    There is the very well made Discworld MUD. Completely free, but its very high quality. I forgot about it till this thread, but I actually played it years ago and it was great. Its a pretty in-depth MUD and actually IS like being in an interactive novel.

A good example is when I first played it...I thought the NPCs in the inns were actually other players. That is how well scripted they are. And the quests are far more than the usual kill x. A lot of the quests you really gotta think how to do them.

Actually (as far as the quests go), think The Secret World...but...Discworld and a MUD instead of a graphical MMO. 

Plus the weather is rather well done. I don't remember if the weather actually effects your character, or if I just RPed it that way...but I do remember snow building up and the description of the "room" actually changed as the snow fell. Pretty well done weather if I recall, as far as MUDs go

It doesn't appear to be most popular MUD around though. Right now as of this post only 83 players on according to MUDstat. Compared to 200+ for GemstoneIV, DragonRealms and Aardwolf
    Post edited by TheScavenger on

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Just remember that @nariusseldon is here to remind us of everything that's wrong with MMO gamers today.

nah .. there is nothing wrong with gamers playing Destiny 2 and Overwatch. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    while its only been a couple days. Curious how your MUD pursuit is going. Find any particular MUD you like? @MightyUnclean

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

while its only been a couple days. Curious how your MUD pursuit is going. Find any particular MUD you like? @MightyUnclean

If not, i have some novels i can recommend. I will bet that they have much better writing and plots compared to any MUDs. 

Yeah!  Having a great time in GemStone IV.  I'm enjoying the character progression and roleplaying.  Everyone is very friendly and helpful.

If not, i have some novels i can recommend. I will bet that they have much better writing and plots compared to any MUDs. 

These best of these kinds of games, like MMORPG's, are about the interactions you have with other people.  But, I'm sure that's something you'll never understand.  You treat other players like NPC's, right?

These best of these kinds of games, like MMORPG's, are about the interactions you have with other people.  But, I'm sure that's something you'll never understand.  You treat other players like NPC's, right?

Understanding is way overrated. Tried it. Don't like interaction with people. Now treat them as NPCs. Games are a lot more fun now.

Is there a problem when I am having fun with my entertainment (which is what it is designed to do, right)?
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    edited December 2017
    Friendly reminder narius posts like this all the time as is best to ignore/not engage. Only interest is making sure everyone acknowledges their superior taste and play victim.

On Topic: Once you spend a bit of time in GSIV, I do recommend DR. The combat system there is quite fun, RP is good as well as story interaction, and PvP IS there, but man can you avoid it quite almost 100%.

One of my all time favorites is 3kingdoms. Lots of unique guilds (Pick Sii, really really great) and lots of character progression.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

Friendly reminder narius posts like this all the time as is best to ignore/not engage. Only interest is making sure everyone acknowledges their superior taste and play victim.

wow wow wow .. are you implying that your taste is superior? Playing victim is fun .. but pointing out elitists that like to impose what they think MMO should be .. is more.

It is actually amusing that on one hand, they think their tastes are "superior" in some way, and on the other, devs just ignore them and go to other audiences. Way to be "superior".