Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 released the best expansion I've played this year

2»

Comments

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    I am playing GW2 again quite a bit now with the new xpac.
    Exploring is really interesting trying to figure out how to get to secret areas peeking out from the distance. And the new elite spec for revenant is just my style, as it makes me feel like a battle commander.
  • AndemonAndemon Member UncommonPosts: 29
    edited November 2017
    They got the mount controls down to the T, but beyond that the expansion is mediocre. The story is juvenile power fantasy with cringy tropes ("one man army", "death is cheap", and so on), maps are full of impassable terrain and there are few viable routes of travel (which cuts down on exploration), the grind is worse than ever, the new maps are littered with tons of boring trash mobs, the repeatable hearts ('quests') are some of the most tedious content that I've seen in the game, and they went way overboard with the special effects (to the point that you can rarely see bosses in battles, because everything is covered in sparkles).

As for personal preferences, I'm not keen on having to use the giant rabbit so much.
    PinoXHuntrezz
  • PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Andemon said:
    They got the mount controls down to the T, but beyond that the expansion is mediocre. The story is juvenile power fantasy with cringy tropes ("one man army", "death is cheap", and so on), maps are full of impassable terrain and there are few viable routes of travel (which cuts down on exploration), the grind is worse than ever, the new maps are littered with tons of boring trash mobs, the repeatable hearts ('quests') are some of the most tedious content that I've seen in the game, and they went way overboard with the special effects (to the point that you can rarely see bosses in battles, because everything is covered in sparkles).

As for personal preferences, I'm not keen on having to use the giant rabbit so much.
    Cmon man, that is non constructive criticism. Gaile is going to come and delete your post.
    ........ Oh wait ....... this isn't GW2 official forum. nvm.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    edited November 2017
    PinoX said:
    Andemon said:

Cmon man, that is non constructive criticism. Gaile is going to come and delete your post.
    ........ Oh wait ....... this isn't GW2 official forum. nvm.
    Hilarious, i wish i'd said that, but i see what you did there. NVM a lot of complaints are always made about official forums on any games website. Here at least you can say it and be ridiculed, as the case may be.
    PinoX
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Andemon said:

Impassable terrain? Someone havn't gotten his griffon yet... Honestly is only the Desolation that bad anyways, it is the worst of the 5 maps by far.

The effects are annoying though, I seriously consider lowering the particly effects down a bit.

Still, I thought the story were fine for a MMO, far better then HoTs. As for boring trashmobs there are some but I must admit I never really stop by them anyways since I usually pass crap like that on a mount.

It is by far the best GW2 expansion and general expansion of this year but it is nowhere near as good as Guildwars: Nightfall was when it released.
    HuntrezzEvilGeek
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited November 2017
    After you started with mounts, i stopped reading. Mounts are a nice addition but shouldnt be the main feature. Mounts were always a side dish.
    Huntrezz
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Having an absolute blast playing this, and its the first time in a while where I feel like I am enjoying myself in a MMO.
    Mikeha
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited December 2017
    Still "kinda" enjoying Path of Fire. Okay maybe not really. Honestly haven't touched it since after a month of making this thread.

I felt there was a lot more to do in HoT but I don't want to spend a whole 2nd expansion in HoT when PoF is supposed to be the new thing. 

I still think the mounts is probably one of the best things of PoF, and it was a huge feature to it (they advertised mounts all the time). They did a pretty great job with them. Far better mounts than I've seen in (most) other MMOs.

However, tbh, I kinda like BDO horses a lot more than I do the GW2 mounts. I think BDO did the whole "mount" thing a lot better. There is an entire market for buying/selling horses, breeding horses, taming horses, "raising" horses by leveling them up and so much variety (in appearances, FOR FREE, sure you can buy some appearances, but you get a ton of variety of appearances for FREE) in the horses. Even gotta feed them like a real animal would need to be fed. Not to mention the new mounts they added (the tier 9 ones I think they are). 

Luckily there is a lot more to MMOs (and most games) than mounts :P But GW2 PoF big advertised feature was mounts, and BDO still kinda beats it (for me). But of course mounts don't make or break the game, since they are just mounts. Tons of other stuff is more important.

I think I just ran out of stuff to do in PoF (really quick at that. Fastest expansion I ever played that ran out of new stuff to do), since like HoT there was huge meta events in each map and things to work toward. It felt like everyone really had to work together to accomplish stuff...and...PoF doesn't really have much of that. I guess most people hated HoT or something, but at least there was always something to do and the meta events never got boring and were always amazing. It was like playing such an epic quest line.

The only negative I could say about the HoT meta events is maybe they happened too often, and maybe they'd have been more liked if they felt like a "rare" kinda event. That would have been a lot better I think.

So pretty much not really playing any MMO right now...guess BDO but its so grindy. Level 55 in BDO and just can't push to 56 cause how slow it is lol. So I don't really play BDO very much either, very rarely like 1-2 times a month I hop on and mostly just cause they hand out free shit like candy lol.

SO TLDR...

Kinda disappointed with PoF. Ran out of content too fast, and mounts are far better than most MMOs, but BDO does it better...but there is way more to an MMO than mounts and PoF kinda runs out of content fast in that department too. I liked HoT FAR more, but don't want to spend 2 expansions in HoT when PoF is supposed to be the new thing lol

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    PoF resurrected GW2 from the dead for me. I went from 'Oh yeah, I forgot that game existed' to become my main MMO by far. Anet is also crushing it w/ new living world content. I'm now catching up with so much that I've missed. I can understand how easy it is to overlook it, since I did for so long. I regret uninstalling it years ago. 
  • BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    Sovrath said:

Now that I think of it, the griffin seems cool so I can definitely give you that. That seems pretty standard for a flying mount and less ridiculous.

I totally get what you're saying, but isn't a large reptile which have been known historically to exist IRL much less ridiculous than a griffin, which is the mythical amalgam of several unrelated species?  Your head cannon might be preventing you from enjoying a great expansion, so maybe reconsider giving it a try. 

I definitely enjoyed the xpac for a few weeks, but like HoT, it didn't keep me around much after. I played and enjoyed ESO's Morrowind release a great deal more. I do consider both expansions excellent and definitely at the top of the list for 2017.