Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Funding Round Brings $6M into the Coffers to Expand Game Content & More - Crowfall - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew Funding Round Brings $6M into the Coffers to Expand Game Content & More - Crowfall - MMORPG.com

Crowfall News - The Crowfall Founder's Update for the week has been published that takes a look back at all that has been accomplished in 2017 as well as takes a peek ahead at what's in store in the future. In addition, ArtCraft announced that it has secured another round of investment funding to bring an additional $6M to the company to "expand our game content, cover all launch expenses and to have enough funds to drive a respectable marketing campaign at launch."

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Good to see them secure another round of funding. Looking forward to seeing a finished product.
    SBFordThupliJamesGoblin
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Makes you wonder how some of these other crowdfunded games are going to make it to launch without rounds of investment funding of their own.
    SBFordJamesGoblin
    --------------------------------------------
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Awesome news, playing this day one, Loved Shadowbane for the pvp and custom character building this just looks 100x more awesome.
    SBFordJamesGoblin
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I really can’t wait to see this one in release form.
    MadFrenchieSBFordRenoakucranthugScarranXingbairongThupliJamesGoblin

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Great news and well-deserved investment.
    cranthugThupliJamesGoblin

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340
    edited December 2017
    This game is making Camelot Unchained look like vaporware. They're over there building a engine for a couple of years with no release in sight with a budget of 4,477,842 so far. Always felt like that team was just too small to take on something like a in-house engine including a 3 faction RvR game, a lot of work for a team that small. Kudos to the Crowfall guys
    Post edited by Syphin_B on
    ThupliKyleranCopperfield
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Glad to hear that they are getting more funds. This is one of the few games that I actually have expectations for and I really hope that we don't get let down like almost every other previous time with other CF games.
    JamesGoblin
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Great news!
    So it looks like the first of the two hurdles has been overcome. This should get the game out in a pretty polished state with hopefully a reasonable amount of content.

- Then the second hurdle: Keeping it going at the same level.
    The recent article on top five games for 2018 also included the sad story of last years games to watch out for: 4 no shows plus 1 crash and burn.

Here's really hoping Crowfall will reverse this trend. Best of luck to the devs, keep it going!
    JamesGoblin
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I'd quadruple my founder pack if they didn't have mice and had a more realistic art style. Yet, mmo rvr players can't be picky so I'll be there day one, except I'm going to exterminate every rat I see with no mercy!
    JamesGoblin
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Syphin_B said:
    This game is making Camelot Unchained look like vaporware. They're over there building a engine for a couple of years with no release in sight with a budget of 4,477,842 so far. Always felt like that team was just too small to take on something like a in-house engine including a 3 faction RvR game, a lot of work for a team that small. Kudos to the Crowfall guys
    CU total budget was ~$9M at some point last year, as hinted by Mark Jacobs in comments, here on MMORPG.com. That's before licensing (which Crowfall did partially, for $2M so far), before possible equity (which makes lions share of CF budget, ~$14M as you can see below), before any major "outter" investors and before any hype, say in beta - especially pre-launch.

PS for anyone curious, here you can see Crowfall's funding breakdown (~$20M total) - https://crowfall.com/en/funding/

[Deleted User]
     W...aaagh?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Syphin_B said:
    CU total budget was ~$9M at some point last year, as hinted by Mark Jacobs in comments, here on MMORPG.com. That's before licensing (which Crowfall did partially, for $2M so far), before possible equity (which makes lions share of CF budget, ~$14M as you can see below), before any major "outter" investors and before any hype, say in beta - especially pre-launch.

PS for anyone curious, here you can see Crowfall's funding breakdown (~$20M total) - https://crowfall.com/en/funding/

This indie team seems to be the next best at raising funds after SC, looks like they'll make it to the gate

....someday
    JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    I always felt that Crowfall is the only one of those crowdfunded MMOs that will actually see the light of the day.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kyleran said:
    Syphin_B said:

This indie team seems to be the next best at raising funds after SC, looks like they'll make it to the gate

....someday
    Yeah.  It was pretty obvious that if they had their "soft launch" this year they would have crashed.

One problem this game shares with it's peers is just pure hype fatigue...  When you start hyping a game 4 years before it launches and that hype continues weekly as you try to keep raising money... it just gets boring.

Honestly haven't logged into any of my Crowdfunded games in months.

JamesGoblinobserverKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    Kyleran said:
    Syphin_B said:

....someday
    Yeah.  It was pretty obvious that if they had their "soft launch" this year they would have crashed.

One problem this game shares with it's peers is just pure hype fatigue...  When you start hyping a game 4 years before it launches and that hype continues weekly as you try to keep raising money... it just gets boring.

Honestly haven't logged into any of my Crowdfunded games in months.

I try never to. Wait till the game comes out, then spend your valuable time gemming up on it.
    JamesGoblin
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    They keep stealing money right now because they know they'll fail hard
    JamesGoblin
  • gordonwaltongordonwalton Member UncommonPosts: 11

Syphin_B said:

This game is making Camelot Unchained look like vaporware.

They're over there building a engine for a couple of years with no release in sight with a budget of 4,477,842 so far. Always felt like that team was just too small to take on something like a in-house engine including a 3 faction RvR game, a lot of work for a team that small.

Kudos to the Crowfall guys

Mark and team are doing exactly what they have set out to do and they will succeed is my take. People just don't understand how long MMOs take to build. I for one am looking forward to playig Camelot Unchained!
    JamesGoblin
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Been waiting for this for too long, as well as Camelot Unchained.  I probably wouldn't even care if they ever released.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Syphin_B said:

They're over there building a engine for a couple of years with no release in sight with a budget of 4,477,842 so far. Always felt like that team was just too small to take on something like a in-house engine including a 3 faction RvR game, a lot of work for a team that small.

Mark and team are doing exactly what they have set out to do and they will succeed is my take. People just don't understand how long MMOs take to build. I for one am looking forward to playig Camelot Unchained!
    Apparently the folks making MMOs don't understand how long they take to create either.

Slapshot1188MadFrenchieJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Syphin_B said:

Maybe "people" don't understand it because developers give unrealistic dates that they miss by years in order to drum up interest and money?  

MadFrenchie

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018