Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five New MMOs We Want to Know More About - General Columns

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

"That 2010 list was awesome, what else ya got?"
    Samhaelk61977AlomarDJStavros
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Damn, not much to look forward to from that list. Bless Online is the only one that might interest me and I fully expect it to not localize well enough for NA audiences and end up like most of the other Asian imports in my trash can. The stuff I've seen/read about AIR is way too vague for me to be interested. Give me something more concrete and I might perk up. I didn't think Diablo 3 was any good so I doubt Diablo Online would interest me unless they turned the IP into a full-fledged MMO that wasn't an ARPG.

I guess we'll have to hope for new MMOs we know about. Come on, Ashes of Creation. Oh, and Pantheon maybe.
  • ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    How could you forgot Amazon's New World??
    LaviotaAlomarMyrdynn
    Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Manasu said:

Well Amazon's initial venture into creating games was pretty underwhelming so I suspect hopes aren't very high for New World.

Making MMOs is hard you know....

:)
    MyrdynnSamhael

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• morroIanmorroIan Member UncommonPosts: 10
    edited December 2017
    Poor list without Amazons New World.
    Alomar
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    A:IR and Bless are the ones I'm waiting for.
    Of course I know so very little of the others that it's hard to say whether or not they're interesting.
    A sound list - although like many here I did expect to see Amazon's New World on it. For me personally it would replace Diablo MMO on the list, since it's at least confirmed to being worked on. :D
    Alomar

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

A:IR and Bless are the ones I'm waiting for.

Of course I know so very little of the others that it's hard to say whether or not they're interesting.

A sound list - although like many here I did expect to see Amazon's New World on it. For me personally it would replace Diablo MMO on the list, since it's at least confirmed to being worked on. :D

Was just gonna say, what happened to Amazon's MMO? I assume they a quietly working on it which is fine I guess, just the silence is not really reassuring.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited December 2017
    If Diablo Online is a real thing it will probably be my gaming dream come true.

Diablo 3 was 'eventually' turned into an excellent game IMO. So, I have faith they could get it right this time.

I don't care if it's overpriced and expansions cost another $50 each year. If it's as good as current Diablo 3 or better, I will pay as often as possible to get more of it.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    Myrdynn
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

Sovrath said:

Diablo Online

Years and YEARS ago I wrote Blizzard and expressed interest in a "Diablo Online".

This was way before Diablo 3 existed with its new art style. The Diablo Online I was interested in was more gritty like the first two games.

oh, well, might still be interesting if it is true and comes to fruition.

I've been hoping for a "World of Diablo" since they chose the Warcraft universe to base their MMO on. It just makes too much sense to me... it could be very good, it could be so very good. But I really don't have a single ounce of faith in the current Blizzard to be able to make a "World of Diablo" worthy of the Diablo franchise... They really dropped the ball with Diablo 3.
    AlomarNildenSamhael
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    CrazKanuk said:
    Alverant said:

CrazKanuk said:

So, we have 3 eastern MMOs on the list, and two western developers who might be developing an MMO, but we don't know.

Not exactly exciting times :-(

I think it's pretty indicative of the current market in North America. The North American markets currently want games like Destiny. They don't want grind fests. Or at least there's no evidence to support that idea.

Wait, "want games like Destiny" followed by "don't want grind fests"? Make up your mind! Destiny IS a grind-fest and they recently tried to make it more so by short-changing players who are earning XP at max level.

THEY want you to play forever. Players just want to have fun doing it. And, yes, that was a shitty bit of coding. Someone probably did it by mistake :P
    Well when you simplify it to that level, it really kind of defeats your point.

All companies, western, eastern, Martian, or otherwise, want you to play forever.

And if only that coding was a mistake..

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kyleran said:

Manasu said:

Well Amazon's initial venture into creating games was pretty underwhelming so I suspect hopes aren't very high for New World.

Making MMOs is hard you know....

:)
    To be fair did Carbine reach the list and at least Amazon have the budget to make something good. 

While Blizzard have showed us that it is all about loot in Wow for years I am not so convinced that they are working on World of Diablo... The gameplay would be a bit too much like Wow and if they want to replace it Wow2 would be a certain big hit. World of Diablo have potential but it is nowhere as certain. Personally would I rather have a MMO based on their lost vikings instead, that would actually stand out and have the potential of being different and fun.

The only game I see on the list that will become a hit (not counting Diablo which I don't really think is in the making) is L3, it will probably even do well in the west. 
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    1) If you're going to do old and new lists, wouldn't it make more sense to do the old first?
    2) A Diablo game? Wasn't Marvel Heroes online more or less Diablo with superhero skins?
    3) None of these, old and new, seem especially interesting to me.
    4) The game I was extremely excited about but never got to play was Tabula Rasa -- THAT had some truly novel and attractive aspects that I haven't seen anybody pull off yet.
    5) The one game I know I would love to play but can't is City of Heroes.
    6) Hoping one of the rivals for its "spiritual successor" will scratch that itch or have new aspects that will make up for missing some points.
    7) The new games I'm keeping my eye on are Worlds Adrift and Dual Universe.
    8) The perfect game is still just in my head. Starts with something like Google Earth, only with computer graphics. Maybe just like that. Or procedurally generated. So big you don't need respawns. Things just naturally reproduce, badguys have factories for cranking out more evil robots, etc. You can "clean up" your neighborhood and it stays clean until/unless villains from a neighboring neighborhood bleed over. Or you could go fantasy and replace villains with monsters. None nearby? Go adventuring. NPCs have AI. Precious stones and metals are procedurally generated if you look for them in the right places. Once you take them from there, everyone else has to find them elsewhere -- or take them from you. etc.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited December 2017
    I'm playing on the rebulid server for Bless, and I am really liking what the Devs are doing. Don't really know much about A:IR right now to make a decision. If Diablo was a mmo I would go banana's, but right now the game that I am really looking forward to is Pantheon.
  • TazdragoTazdrago Member UncommonPosts: 44

Yanocchi said:

Diablo Online? I think the time for that one has passed because Path of Exile has filled that nich quite nicely.

I had almost forgotten everything about Jumpgate Evolution. When I saw the title mentioned here, for a second here I had a feeling of concern for the future of Star Citizen and that maybe Derek Smart could be right. :D

POE is not a MMORPG.
    NildenMyrdynn
  • VanchoraVanchora Member UncommonPosts: 19
    @Bill
    rumors about Diablo MMO? Wait by the your new definition Diablo is already an MMO or not?
    To be honest you know that Diablo (mentality) destroyed the mmorpg genre (extreme grind but fast!).
    I can only think of some destiny style of game for Diablo not a real mmorpg.
    So any way cameltosis said all that is to say about it (4th post).
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Total DUH: I forgot New World. Adding it in now.
    JamesGoblinfrancis_baudAzaron_Nightblade

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Even with it being open world PvP which I hate, hate, hate....looking forward to Bless Online.

Be nice to play a damn mmo that isn't going to have gender locked classes. Looking at you every other damn mmo out on the market.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

2) A Diablo game? Wasn't Marvel Heroes online more or less Diablo with superhero skins?

Not even a little bit
    DavodtheTutt
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DeathtognomesDeathtognomes Member UncommonPosts: 155
    yep eveything from the 2010 list is vaporware. @mmorpg should rethink who makes these lists cuz its like a Jinx or even bad karma so the new list here might go poof too.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I'm sure Amazon's New World is as legit as Everquest Next was.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Total DUH: I forgot New World. Adding it in now.

Not Duh, so much as "Hey! Amazon! I'm a media outlet and you've failed wildly in keeping me informed about your upcoming product."

Unless they're trying to step away from the hype train activities and go back to a more traditional 1-year lead time hype model.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Dual Universe?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited December 2017
    Next announcement will be the shutdown of Amazon Game Studios IMO.

How do you announce 3 games, go super hard marketing the corniest dumbest one, FAIL, remove it from your website completely, and absolutely DO NOT speak a single word about the other 2 for a year and 2 months? Don't add New World to this list. It's already in the same waste bin the 2010 list is.
    KyleranMadFrenchieYashaX
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Ahh yes...Firefall...simply the most fun I have ever had in an MMO (in beta).
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me