Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your gaming experience your responsibility?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
Is it 99.9% of the time your responsibility to have a good time in video games? which means becoming an informed consumer, and cutting losses as soon as boredom or frustration comes into play?

is it really a good thing to say 'hey Bob I had no fun this weekend and I choose it that way'

I dont know, at some level yes, some level no

discuss

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

YashaXcameltosis

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I don't think having fun is a responsibility. You either enjoy something or you don't. If you don't, you can rectify that somehow or not (change class, change guild, change in game activities, etc.). If you're still not having fun, quit and find a message board somewhere to bitch about it. Then pick another game. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Amathe said:
    I don't think having fun is a responsibility. You either enjoy something or you don't. If you don't, you can rectify that somehow or not (change class, change guild, change in game activities, etc.). If you're still not having fun, quit and find a message board somewhere to bitch about it. Then pick another game. 
    I do think it's a person's responsibility to know what they are getting into and bring an appropriate attitude when doing anything.

It seems sometimes people just bitch and moan over the most ridiculous things. I suppose one can say "it's not ridiculous to them" and that would be true. But keeping a realistic perspective is important.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2017
    Amathe said:
    I think in many ways it is a responsibly.

So for example: 'Bob...you had lots of options this weekend, did you enjoy your weekened?' 
    'no I didnt'
    'well why didnt you?'
    'well because what I did was not fun'
    'well why did you do it? you should have done something else'

I mean I know what your getting at in that sometimes you dont have control over that but for the most part your free time is your choice i would think.

My rule (which I also try to teach some of my family members) is 'if not fun, then stop, if possible'

Sovrath

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Its up to game developers to create games people want to play, if they fail at their task they will be out of business quickly. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    Its up to game developers to create games people want to play, if they fail at their task they will be out of business quickly. 
    so others are mostly responsible for your fun.

When you come into the office and say you had an unfun weekend, you dont see it as remotely your fault?

interesting, I tend to think just the opposite

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    No Sean, that's not what he said at all.

No Sean, that's not what he said at all.
    so when you go to work and Bob stops in this conversation happens:
    'bob did you enjoy your weekend?'
    'no'
    'why not? what did you do?'
    'I played a viedo game'
    'all weekend?'
    'yeah'
    'was it fun'?
    'no'
    'then why did you play it all weekend'?
    'because its the developers responsibility to provide me with fun'
    MadFrenchieKyleran

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:

When you come into the office and say you had an unfun weekend, you dont see it as remotely your fault?

You clearly didn't understand what I wrote. Given that someone else understood it I think the problem lies with you.
    YashaXcameltosis
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    Shaigh said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:

You clearly didn't understand what I wrote. Given that someone else understood it I think the problem lies with you.
    I think you have it backwards, you dont understand what I am asking.

YOU are responsible for your choices in your free time, you are responsible for your fun.

you disagree with that?

SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:

YOU are responsible for your choices in your free time, you are responsible for your fun.

you disagree with that?
    Sean, you really need to cool down with this shit, dude.

Quit trying to dictate to everyone the conversation they're having with you on the forum.  Either take his post for its obvious meaning, or don't reply to it.  This shit you're doing trying to bait people into an argument you've set up for yourself to win, regardless of the original intent of the post you quote, is dumb.  It's a fucking troll move, dude.
    ScorchiencheyaneAvarixYashaXalivenKylerancameltosis

edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:

you disagree with that?

Quit trying to dictate to everyone the conversation they're having with you on the forum.  Either take his post for its obvious meaning, or don't reply to it.  This shit you're doing trying to bait people into an argument you've set up for yourself to win, regardless of the original intent of the post you quote, is dumb.  It's a fucking troll move, dude.
    well his obversation is random and off point but I guess I can offer a gold star for it so that nobody gets offended?

can we get back on topic or is it too soon?

my question is, are you responsible for the choices you make in your video game purchases and are you responsible for your enjoyment of your free time?

yes
    or
    no
    MadFrenchie

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:

you disagree with that?

well his obversation is random and off point but I guess I can offer a gold star for it so that nobody gets offended?

my question is, are you responsible for the choices you make in your video game purchases and are you responsible for your enjoyment of your free time?

yes
    or
    no
    Not interested on your question.

Shaigh's right, btw.

edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Shaigh said:

you disagree with that?

yes
    or
    no
    Not interested on your question.

Shaigh's right, btw.
    then why exactly are you responding? it is the core of the OP.

and yes I know he is right but it has nothing to do with the subject 

MadFrenchie

Because Shaigh's right.  Just thought you should know.

Was that not clear?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2017
    Delete

VrikaScorchiencheyaneYashaX

Was that not clear?
    I already said I know he is right.

but his point is not on topic.

I find it very telling how you are not able to answer my question. Why? I dont know fear maybe not sure
    MadFrenchie

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited December 2017
    The word responsibility is inaccurate. That is not how I would describe what gaming is to me. It is not a duty or responsibility, in fact the reason  I game is to have fun. It is my responsibility to perhaps find out  what a game is about but the fun part comes naturally. Either you enjoy something or not. Responsibility indicates force and design whereas fun is the exact opposite of that.

However it is the responsibility of the company providing the game to make sure the game is playable and enjoyable because that is their job. It's not my job to enjoy it.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    It's our responsibility to be ready to cut our losses, and it's our responsibility to accept that not every game is for us.

But it's also the company's responsibility to make a decent product, and offer us decent service after we've made our purchase. So no, it's not 99% our responsibility. Responsibility should be decided case by case. Trying to make a general rule about whose responsibility something is is just stupid.
    SovrathMadFrenchie

cheyane said:
    The word responsibility is inaccurate. That is not how I would describe what gaming is to me. It is not a duty or responsibility, in fact the reason  I game is to have fun. It is my responsibility to perhaps find out  what a game is about but the fun part comes naturally. Either you enjoy something or not. Responsibility indicates force and design whereas fun is the exactly the opposite of that.

However it is the responsibility of the company providing the game to make sure the game is playable and enjoyable because that is their job. It's not my job to enjoy it.
    I see what your saying, I do agree that its the responsibly of the developer to make the game work but I dont agree its their responsibly to make the game enjoyable. its your job to figure out which games you would enjoy.

that all said, I dont agree with your overall view. I personally consider it my personal responisbly to enjoy life on my free time. I understand others have different value systems and that is fine but for me on my free time its my job to find what to enjoy and if it do not enjoy it I must stop immediately and find something else.

that is my world view

but I do appreciate your honest and clear  answer, thank you

Vrika said:
    It's our responsibility to be ready to cut our losses, and it's our responsibility to accept that not every game is for us.

But it's also the company's responsibility to make a decent product, and offer us decent service after we've made our purchase. So no, it's not 99% our responsibility. Responsibility should be decided case by case. Trying to make a general rule about whose responsibility something is is just stupid.
    I completely disagree for one main reasons
    'decent' is EXTREMELY subjective. I find 7DTD extremely decent but a lot of people here think its trash. 

I am a fan of Wurm Online, I think its fantastic, I have no doubt in my mind that everyone does not agree that the game is 'decent'

really it boils down to this, you as a consumer should look at the game, do some level of research, then buy if appeals, if game does not work out for you then try again but that poor choice was yours.
    If you can not find a game that is enjoyable, then you need to seek professional help from a therapist.

that is my personal view

SEANMCAD said:

Was that not clear?

I find it very telling how you are not able to answer my question. Why? I dont know fear maybe not sure
    I didn't read your question.  But Shaigh's still right.
    cameltosis

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    This thread seems to serve as an opportunity for the OP to disregard everyone else's opinion and narcissistically force their own opinion back on everyone else.

It's a trap.

There is no discussion.

Sorry not sorry.
    MadFrenchieAvarixYashaXKylerancameltosis
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    This thread seems to serve as an opportunity for the OP to disregard everyone else's opinion and narcissistically force their own opinion back on everyone else.

It's a trap.

There is no discussion.

Sorry not sorry.
    That sums up the OP's entire reasoning for frequenting these forums.
    YashaXRexKushmancameltosis

It's a trap.

There is no discussion.

Sorry not sorry.
    its likely better to not be defensive and make so much out of it. just ignore it if you think its a problem, that is your responsibly.

But given you are here, care to answer the OP question?

edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:

Was that not clear?

I didn't read your question.  But Shaigh's still right.
    yes I know.

I am not following your point

actually I take that back, he is not right. Its the developers responisblity to follow the corporate charter which usually is to make money, doesnt have to be good