Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Collections

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Some games allow you to have collections of various tchotchkes you can pick up as you explore; e.g., different colored gems, leaves, shells, etc.

EQ2 had a really nice system that allowed you to "trade in" your collections for rewards (not awesome items, but something). 

In Pantheon, this could dovetail with the perception system, where increased perception could make it possible to find the more rare items in a collection.

Anyone think this would be worthwhile?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    That works.  I always thought it would be to have collections add to your character's "social status" within the world. 
    Amathe
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I never did the collections thing as it seemed like busy work.

I'd be more interested in having the perception system find items with lore stories (sort of like shadow of mordor) or maybe a map or a key that would help drive exploration.
    svannDullahan
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Collections?  Another idea regurgitated from old games.  Instead of development work put into other minor trivial systems, let them invest in something more original, more innovative.  Have collections been announced as a feature for Pantheon, because this is the first I recall seeing this.

I'm with @Sorvath here; collections are nothing more than busy work, a diversion to keep me from focusing on other in-game goals.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Mendel said:

... a diversion to keep me from focusing on other in-game goals.
    Some folks like a diversion now and then.  :p
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    If you do not have an interest in collections than don't do it. I personally loved doing it in Everquest 2 and I would not mind something like that. I enjoyed opening up my collection page to see what collections I had completed and even traded for some of the rarer pieces. It was a fun thing to look forward to each time I went to a new zone and often I stayed longer in one palce just to complete a collection.
    Amathe
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would like to see collections used in secret ideas.Problem of course is data miners ruin everything.

Example trade a seashell to a certain npc that you realized through conversations would be a good choice and that NPC grants you something,like perhaps fights alongside for 4 hours or will grant you some boons like maybe +5crafting skill etc etc.

The result of the collections in EQ2 was obvious,i like to see some ideas to discover  with your collections.Like maybe even a choice to hand in for a reward or to keep to combine later with other collections,perhaps different npc's give different rewards instead of one npc to hand in to.
    AmatheSovrath

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited December 2017
    Collections always seemed to me to be anti-lore.  Its like: lets just drop some random crap here and there and over there and players have to run around to pick it up.  No reason for it to be there and no real purpose to the bits except that you pick them up and you get xp.  My vote is no.

edit: Id be for it if it wasnt so damn vanilla.  Make the collection give you a new spell or something.  Not another 1k xp.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    cheyane said:
    If you do not have an interest in collections than don't do it. I personally loved doing it in Everquest 2 and I would not mind something like that. I enjoyed opening up my collection page to see what collections I had completed and even traded for some of the rarer pieces. It was a fun thing to look forward to each time I went to a new zone and often I stayed longer in one palce just to complete a collection.
    Collections were my thing in EQ2.  I'd say it was one of my primary activities as it played well into farming the "named" rare spawns for mastery books(and also farming solo players, yay Nagafen).  I was probably the number one supplier of "shinies", as we called them.  It helped to be a bruiser as I could feign death through hard to reach places or otherwise muscle my way through harder content that others could not.

Man this takes me back, but I've moved on from dedicating 13 hours a day to a game.
    Amathe
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I didn't care for collections in EQ2. I don't mind collecting an item for a reason, but the idea of it being instituted as some form of gameplay is cringeworthy and representative of just how far off the path SOE strayed with EQ2.
    svann

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Dullahan said:
    I didn't care for collections in EQ2. I don't mind collecting an item for a reason, but the idea of it being instituted as some form of gameplay is cringeworthy and representative of just how far off the path SOE strayed with EQ2.

Lol, did you know how the collections in EQ2 worked. Obviously not. They all had a reason.
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

So I detailed in my "trace the decline of MMOs" thread (which has been mysteriously resurrected) how I did not think much of EQ2 when I played it.  One thing I do remember about it now was the housing feature and how I decorated my residence with various weapons I collected throughout my wanderings.  I'm not sure if that's what we're talking about here, I do vaguely remember trinket collections that you could turn in as well (apparently not all that memorable).

On the room decorations feature, I thought it was neat, but it served no real purpose other than it being a form of eye-candy.  I think it was just put In there as a time filler.  You couldn't really do much with it other than stand in your room and look at it.  I don't really care if they put something like that in Pantheon.  My approval of the game is not going to rise or fall on that.  If they add a really super-cool awesome collection feature to the game, but the gameplay itself sucks, I won't be around long to collect much.

By the same token if the gameplay totally rocks and they add a collection option that is somewhat bland, I'll still play the game and leave the collecting to others.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Zindaihas said:

So I detailed in my "trace the decline of MMOs" thread (which has been mysteriously resurrected) how I did not think much of EQ2 when I played it.  One thing I do remember about it now was the housing feature and how I decorated my residence with various weapons I collected throughout my wanderings.  I'm not sure if that's what we're talking about here, I do vaguely remember trinket collections that you could turn in as well (apparently not all that memorable).

On the room decorations feature, I thought it was neat, but it served no real purpose other than it being a form of eye-candy.  I think it was just put In there as a time filler.  You couldn't really do much with it other than stand in your room and look at it.  I don't really care if they put something like that in Pantheon.  My approval of the game is not going to rise or fall on that.  If they add a really super-cool awesome collection feature to the game, but the gameplay itself sucks, I won't be around long to collect much.

By the same token if the gameplay totally rocks and they add a collection option that is somewhat bland, I'll still play the game and leave the collecting to others.

But housing does have a purpose. At least if one can appreciate the purpose.

It anchors your character to the world, it gives you a place to be, a place to come back to and store/exhibit items from your adventures. If done well it can be an example of self expression depending on how you exhibit/display your items.

It essentially gives you roots.
    Amathe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Fat Grubs and Goliath Beetles always paid for my lowbie items :)  I did like the EQ2 system for something else to do if you wanted but I didn't like how it always clogged up my bags...  If I remember right if you got enough of the collections done then you got a set of glasses that allowed you to see a different color shiny for even more collections to be had! lol... 
    Amathe
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Soki123 said:
    Dullahan said:

Lol, did you know how the collections in EQ2 worked. Obviously not. They all had a reason.
    Sorry, I don't consider collecting ground spawns just to "complete the set" to be a valid reason.
    Elrandirsvann

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I have never been a collection guy, but I know people that love this type of stuff, so I think it would be good to have some stuff like that (I don't think it usually takes a lot of coding time).  If a mmo had non-instanced housing and some cool/rare stuff to decorate your house with, I would be more likely to do those, but more of a thing over time, I never get blinded by that type of thing, it would be something I would do when I only had 10-30 minutes to play, and couldn't do something bigger.
    Amathe
    Maybe collecting could be implemented in a good way, but shinies on the ground is bullshit.
    Mendel
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A very long time ago when i was a young kid,i lifted up an old wooden set of stairs in the back of the house we lived in.I found several very old coins,i almost immediately became a coin collector,i was so excited to see these old coins that i had never seen before from both Canada,Britain and the States.
    Point being that collecting can be fun,how about as kids we collected Hockey cards or baseball cards,some people collect Star Wars figurines or action heroes,collecting has a spot in many people's lives.

However,along the same lines as poster above,a pile of sparkling shinies on the ground,constantly spawning is not a good way to do it.They should be rare and tucked away just about anywhere and not in a constant predictable spot.

I could go for an idea using an example...the Faberge Eggs,legendary craftsmen make a dozen or so for a King,are sold and perhaps end up anywhere on some NPC or something.Example a mob kills you and takes some of your items,that item might go forever lost unless someone kills that Orc or Giant.
    There is so much that can be done in games if the developer is willing to put in some thought and create separate code for ideas rather than TEMPLATE game design.
    Amathe

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    svann said:
    Maybe collecting could be implemented in a good way, but shinies on the ground is bullshit.
    Where's the crew complaining that shinies on the ground breaks immersion?  That is the one case where I'd be inclined to agree with them.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    Sovrath said:
    But housing does have a purpose. At least if one can appreciate the purpose.

It anchors your character to the world, it gives you a place to be, a place to come back to and store/exhibit items from your adventures. If done well it can be an example of self expression depending on how you exhibit/display your items.

It essentially gives you roots.
    I'm not against housing at all.  Even if it serves no purpose, at worst it's a neutral feature.  It was collections I was skeptical of (but still not against).  It all depends on how it's implemented.  If you're going to put housing in an MMO, it would be nice if they served some purpose.  Perhaps integrate them into a quest or two.  In the most intense scenario, you might have to defend it in a Realm vs. Realm MMO (although RvRs are usually not my cup of tea).

edited December 2017
    Mendel said:
    svann said:
    Where's the crew complaining that shinies on the ground breaks immersion?  That is the one case where I'd be inclined to agree with them.
    Agreed a bright shining beacon like in eq2 is not the way to do it, but a very hard to see oak bark or evergreen leaf like they did in eq1 is. the things were just a few pixels on the ground and damn near blended in with the ground itself. Had to really be hunting to see them. The classes that got ultravision had an little easier time finding them. 
  • Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Stupid. hope its not in game.
    Gyva02 said:
    Mendel said:
    svann said:
    Agreed a bright shining beacon like in eq2 is not the way to do it, but a very hard to see oak bark or evergreen leaf like they did in eq1 is. the things were just a few pixels on the ground and damn near blended in with the ground itself. Had to really be hunting to see them. The classes that got ultravision had an little easier time finding them. 
    I think you are misremembering.  There were a few hard to find items, but they werent collections they were quest items.  EQ1 collections are shinies.
  • Curt2013Curt2013 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Imo would rather have the devs spend the resources on creating more armor / weapon graphics or tbh anything else....
    Dullahan
    edited December 2017
    svann said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Mendel said:
    svann said:
    I think you are misremembering.  There were a few hard to find items, but they werent collections they were quest items.  EQ1 collections are shinies.
    There were no collections in EQ1 or at least classic EQ1. No idea if they added a collection system later in the game, but below are pics of what I was referring too. Yes the items in EQ1 were quest or crafting items, they were much much harder to find than the EQ2 shiny. If a collection system was implemented it should be a challenge and thus use the harder to find style that EQ1 did for its ground spawns.  

EQ2 Shiny

EQ1 Evergreen Leaf way zoomed in, at standing/running height they were very difficult to see. 

Amathe
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I really like collections both in EQ2 and Rift so i would like if they make it in the game.
    Amathe
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race.