Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EA going downhill since Battlefront 2???

Comments

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Just want to know what yall think....I'm very interested in the EA game called Anthem coming out next year....But should I be interested anymore now that EA getting all this bad feedback from Battlefront 2????   You think Anthem is gonna flop because of all the controversy????
    I haven't been interested in an EA game since Sims 2. I do not understand the appeal and I do not understand why people at least around here are not looking at the explosion of awesome games coming out in the 'non-AAA' industry.

Well Anthem looks very interesting to me...Actually more interesting than Destiny...Ive played both Destiny 1 and 2 but I just think the Gameplay for Anthem looks a lot better...But since the lootbox fiasco I don't know if I should trust them enough to look into buying Anthem.....
    Sorry but no, they both look like glorified shooters. 

I get the appeal of shooters, but fuck me I played those more than 10 years ago. I want new ideas

Dude...I know you didn't play Anything like Destiny or Anthem 10 years ago....Ive been a gamer since Pong....So no....Not 10 years ago...LMAO
    I dont know the details of Destiny but again, from what I have seen in video it looks like nothing more than a glorified shooter.

glorified shooter means a shooter with some few extra minor features added.

Battlefield 1942 is an example of a shooter, Destiny is an example of a glorified shooter, meaning not radically different in game play.
    Allied Assault is an example of a shooter,  Titian fall (as an example) looks like its Battlefield 1942 with extra skins and jumping. meaning its a glorified shooter.

7 Days to Die however, which has shooting, would not be a 'glorified shooter'

anymore clear?

No.... not clear in the least.
    1. "glorified shooter' defined: 'glorfied shooter' does not mean 'shooter'. It means a shooter with extra features but not enough extra features to be considered very different from a shooter
    (ARE YOU CLEAR ON THIS POINT?)

2. Battlefield 1942 and Allied Assault are shooters that game out in the early 00'. They are a shooter. Destiny 2  and that other game appear to me from watching video of game play to be a shooter ,much like BF1942 and AA except with different skins (glorfied shooter)

any better?

Ok, that clarifies things. You just don't know what glorified means. Maybe open-world shooter? I don't know what you might call it, but it's not glorified. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    CrazKanuk said:

1. "glorified shooter' defined: 'glorfied shooter' does not mean 'shooter'. It means a shooter with extra features but not enough extra features to be considered very different from a shooter

2. Battlefield 1942 and Allied Assault are shooters that game out in the early 00'. They are a shooter. Destiny 2  and that other game appear to me from watching video of game play to be a shooter ,much like BF1942 and AA except with different skins (glorfied shooter)

any better?

Ok, that clarifies things. You just don't know what glorified means. Maybe open-world shooter? I don't know what you might call it, but it's not glorified. 
    whatever...lets get passed that part.

I find those games not different enough from what I played more than 10 years ago

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Scorchien said:

I got it for 15$ a share in 08 ..has been a great investment

I am so jelly... 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

any better?

I find those games not different enough from what I played more than 10 years ago

You're right, the formula is very similar. You shoot stuff. Only today everything must have MMO elements, so you shoot stuff and then do a gear grind. 

What that delta is as far as complexity, I couldn't tell you. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

any better?

You're right, the formula is very similar. You shoot stuff. Only today everything must have MMO elements, so you shoot stuff and then do a gear grind. 

What that delta is as far as complexity, I couldn't tell you. 
    which circles to my original observation which is I do not understand the appeal and I dont understand why many people go out of their way to avoid looking at options. They just sit there and wait for Gamespot to tell them what they are supposed to like.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    EA are fine financially. Morally, totally corrupt and they've been going downhill for years. All they care about now is profit margins. Make the game as cheap as they can for as much as they can charge. Charge a full AAA box price and add F2P revenue streams on top.

They may have backed down over SWBF2 but that's just temporary. They'll be back for their pound of flesh soon enough.

Anthem could be the greatest game ever made but if they pull the same shit again they won't be getting a penny out of me. The only way to stop them from carrying on down this path is to stop paying them money. 3 or 4 titles from now, if nobody bought their games, they'd figure it out and start being reasonable. Never happen though. Too many idiots are prepared to hand over their cash for mediocre games and buy loot crates for an advantage. We have ourselves to blame.
    edited December 2017
    EA are fine financially. Morally, totally corrupt and they've been going downhill for years. All they care about now is profit margins. Make the game as cheap as they can for as much as they can charge. Charge a full AAA box price and add F2P revenue streams on top.

They may have backed down over SWBF2 but that's just temporary. They'll be back for their pound of flesh soon enough.

Anthem could be the greatest game ever made but if they pull the same shit again they won't be getting a penny out of me. The only way to stop them from carrying on down this path is to stop paying them money. 3 or 4 titles from now, if nobody bought their games, they'd figure it out and start being reasonable. Never happen though. Too many idiots are prepared to hand over their cash for mediocre games and buy loot crates for an advantage. We have ourselves to blame.
    for the most part the common denominator tends to be (but not always) publicly traded companies vs private one.

Once they go public on the stock market or are owned by such a company then the so called morality changes. 
    Reason for this by the way is that almost always a publicly traded company has a charter that states the sitting CEO must put profits above anything else, and that pledge is legally binding.
    In private companies the charter can be anything, it can say quality is most important for example. 
    This is a summary

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    It is a damn shame that BF2 was received so poorly I think.

EA's reputation, which until the launch of this under-appreciated gem was held in great respect, has received a devastating blow that will make it hard for gamers all over the world to trust them again.

I don't think that this set back will cause a praise-worthy company like EA to go downhill. I am sure that they will once again distinguish themselves as the pillar of moral integrity that they have been for the gaming industry throughout the years; and thanks to that slowly regain the player-base's trust.

EA's reputation, which until the launch of this under-appreciated gem was held in great respect, has received a devastating blow that will make it hard for gamers all over the world to trust them again.

I don't think that this set back will cause a praise-worthy company like EA to go downhill. I am sure that they will once again distinguish themselves as the pillar of moral integrity that they have been for the gaming industry throughout the years; and thanks to that slowly regain the player-base's trust.

I watched a video of Battlefront game play in a European city.

To me it looked EXACTLY like they just reskinned Battlefield
    How do people not notice this?

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    cheyane said:
    EA is huge they can absorb this loss and pass it on to the consumers in one form or another. Ultimately we the consumer are the ones who pay the price.
    Consumers still have a choice as to whether they pay or not, unlike paying taxes.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    d_20 said:
    Is the stock still tanking?

EA Shares PLUMMET, EA Down $6bn! Plus New SWBFII Credits Changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn4418Tz0e8

EA is fine,  the stock price isn't reflective of the firm's actual health, more of a reflection on investors "beliefs" about it's future success.

To put things in perspective, EA stock had a huge and probably unsustainable run up this year peaking at $122.79 per share.

Current price is $105 so the drop is substantial true, but it is still well over the 52 week low of $76.42.

EA is still the same gaming juggernaut today as it was when the stock was at its low, and they continue to make much of their revenue from sports franchises which appear to be embracing the new gaming as a service model more readily.
      I got it for 15$ a share in 08 ..has been a great investment
    Because that's what stocks are supposed to be - long term investments. You can't tell most people that, which is why most people should never own stock.

You look at 1-year and 3-year trends when determining which stocks to buy. EA is a good choice. The price will bottom out shortly and then those who are smart will buy.

The only people prophesying the fall of EA are those who either blindly hate them or hate corporations in general. It's personal, not based on any real-world information.
    You caught me. I hate corporations and corporate ideology in general. I don't hate people who work in one -- I shouldn't have to say this, but I know someone will take it the wrong way if I don't -- and I have worked in corporations as well.

From professional experience in commercial litigation, my opinion comes from what I saw. But that's just my opinion, man.  

*puts on flak jacket and goes to shelter*

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think Anthem is the next and biggest thing in the gaming industry at the moment. Other than Anthem, there's not really anything announced to get really excited about. I think that alone ensures it's success even if it's kind of average, like what happened with Destiny... twice.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    edited December 2017
    I wouldn't say that EA is going downhill.  I would say that they went downhill some decades ago and stayed there for a long time.  The whole Battlefront fiasco is par for the course from EA, no worse than many others that they've had in the past, and probably no worse than many others that they'll have in the future.
    Rosenborgd_20
    I think Anthem is the next and biggest thing in the gaming industry at the moment. Other than Anthem, there's not really anything announced to get really excited about. I think that alone ensures it's success even if it's kind of average, like what happened with Destiny... twice.
    Personally I find Hobo Tough Life more interesting then what I have seen on that game. people keep falling for the same hype year after year after year

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    SEANMCAD said:

Well Sean, that's because you have a lot of practice noticing reskinning. All those Unity indie early access knocks-off you're always raving about are packed full of it.
    Scorchiencameltosis

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    SEANMCAD said:

I would be thrilled if BF2 was a reskinned Battlefield, but I do not like how the battlefront games play.  I am a huge star wars fan and enjoy battlefield 4 or battlefield 1 or any battlefield more than the battlefront games. 
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    SEANMCAD said:
    lol.....since Battlefront..

no they have been going down hill for about a decade
    I'd have said more like 15yrs and was thinking maybe the op meant the original bf 2.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:

I'd have said more like 15yrs and was thinking maybe the op meant the original bf 2.
       Well go figure that would mean, Sean is wrong again , and you along with him .. But the comunity has become accustomed to this ..

in the last decade ... back to 2008 ...  coincidently thats the year that EA stock tumbled from 65$ a share to 15 $   ..

Now the smart kids at that point Bought in... (which i did in a very big way) The other kids sit on forums whining and hating ...

And have watched that stock steadily rise over the 10 years  to its closing today of 103.38 and hit its all time high this year of 125$

Now they have a small hiccup , this common but investors are certain they will right the ship ..

So in the last Decade .. EA has done the exact opposite that you think ...

Aint that rich        (pun intended)

Never let your pervceived truth get in the way of facts ....lmfao
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    postlarvalKyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Well go figure that would mean, Sean is wrong again , and you along with him .. But the comunity has become accustomed to this ..

in the last decade ... back to 2008 ...  coincidently thats the year that EA stock tumbled from 65$ a share to 15 $   ..

Now the smart kids at that point Bought in... (which i did in a very big way) The other kids sit on forums whining and hating ...

And have watched that stock steadily rise over the 10 years  to its closing today of 103.38 and hit its all time high this year of 125$

Now they have a small hiccup , this common but investors are certain they will right the ship ..

So in the last Decade .. EA has done the exact opposite that you think ...

Aint that rich        (pun intended)

Never let your pervceived truth get in the way of facts ....lmfao
    Smart investors sold at $125

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Since Battlefront is still earning lots of cash it is just wishful thinking. EA will eventually crash and burn if they continue like they have the last 20 years but that will take a long time. And there solution is usually to buy up someone that makes fun games and get out a couple before they sink the studio into mediocraty (which means they earn lots on the good games and more on the next few until the customers realize how bad the games are getting).

I say it takes 10-20 more years but eventually they will probably start losing a lot of market share. That might also be wishful thinking of course.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited December 2017

I get the appeal of shooters, but fuck me I played those more than 10 years ago. I want new ideas

Dude...I know you didn't play Anything like Destiny or Anthem 10 years ago....Ive been a gamer since Pong....So no....Not 10 years ago...LMAO
    Honest question What makes them so different than that Hellgate: London title from 10 years ago ? 

Hub city based, instanced story based group missions, pseudo MMO design... I'm sure they may have brought improvements to the design, but are they really so different? ... Stargate Online was kinda built on the same principles as well it just was the most terrible "alpha" I've ever seen... That was years and years ago. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    SEANMCAD said:

Well Anthem looks very interesting to me...Actually more interesting than Destiny...Ive played both Destiny 1 and 2 but I just think the Gameplay for Anthem looks a lot better...But since the lootbox fiasco I don't know if I should trust them enough to look into buying Anthem.....

glorified shooters sound fun. Shoot stuff in glorious graphics, in hand-designed environments, with RPG elements and fun powers.

Should worth at least a couple of hours of fun. 

New ideas are way over-rated. It is about implementation and polish. Otherwise, Diablo 3 would not have sold 30M copies. 

Plus, with all the talk here about going back to "traditional MMO" design, i thought this place hate new ideas. Otherwise, we should be all playing MOBAs and CCGs, right? Those are much newer than the traditional MMORPG concept.
    edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:

glorified shooters sound fun. Shoot stuff in glorious graphics, in hand-designed environments, with RPG elements and fun powers.

New ideas are way over-rated. It is about implementation and polish. Otherwise, Diablo 3 would not have sold 30M copies. 

Plus, with all the talk here about going back to "traditional MMO" design, i thought this place hate new ideas. Otherwise, we should be all playing MOBAs and CCGs, right? Those are much newer than the traditional MMORPG concept.
    Battlefront looks to me EXACTLY like Battlefield 1942 with different skins.

I dont understand how people are not noticing this, EA games are pure copies of the same shooter formula that has been mostly unchanged for friggin 10 years. 

a AAA company throws in Mehcs into the same formula (Titanfall) and they act like they just invited the first hard drive.

Where we should be going is not backwards, not to shooters with Mechs and not copying DOTA thinking its the only other option, but with crafting, building, different genres other than just fantasty there is a HUGE amount of possiblities here and to be frank AAAs are ignoring it, indies are not.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I dont understand how people are not noticing this, EA games are pure copies of the same shooter formula that has been mostly unchanged for friggin 10 years. 

a AAA company throws in Mehcs into the same formula (Titanfall) and they act like they just invited the first hard drive.

Where we should be going is not backwards, not to shooters with Mechs and not copying DOTA thinking its the only other option, but with crafting, building, different genres other than just fantasty there is a HUGE amount of possiblities here and to be frank AAAs are ignoring it, indies are not.
    I watched a video of 7d2d once, it looked like minecraft with different skins. 

Maybe the reason most shooters look similar to older ones, with better art and graphics IMO, is because people actually enjoy those types of games. You don't honestly think people sit around playing games they hate because Gamespot tells them too, do you? 

Most of the Indie games you rave about are exactly like one another as well. Gather, craft, build then pvp, same formula in most of the indie games of the last 5 years. All just reskins of eachother

edited December 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I watched a video of 7d2d once, it looked like minecraft with different skins. 

Maybe the reason most shooters look similar to older ones, with better art and graphics IMO, is because people actually enjoy those types of games. You don't honestly think people sit around playing games they hate because Gamespot tells them too, do you? 

Most of the Indie games you rave about are exactly like one another as well. Gather, craft, build then pvp, same formula in most of the indie games of the last 5 years. All just reskins of eachother
    then dont complain about EA games

to recap

Most here: 'this is the worst era in gaming, these games are terrible'
    Me: 'this is the best era in gaming ever'

if battlefront is what you like, then stop bitching about it. Because I dont give a fuck what you think of the games I like but if you are complaining endlessly about the games you claim to enjoy while I never complain about the games I enjoy then for the love of fuck at least try to get a clue