Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, Where Are YOU on Net Neutrality?

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited December 2017
    Horusra said:
    For me has less to to with political bias and more to do with economic belief.  I believe free market capitalism is the driver of innovation.  When someone can make some cash people will compete for it.  Net Neutrality removes that drive.  While without there is, I hope, a desire for companies to provide new and better service than someone else to get your money.
    Yeah if the sky was going to fall without net neutrality it would have fallen before it became a thing in 2015:

Funnily enough "net neutrality" is loved by the big corporations, big government, and the many people who's opinions they have swayed using money and deception. It's hated by those who love the free market.

That's because you're being lied to. 0% of this is about protecting your rights. 100% of this is about government giving unfair market advantages to certain businesses and protecting ISP monopolies.

This video really sums up the issue nicely:

https://www.facebook.com/AP4Liberty/videos/1629669957091978/
    HorusraYashaXDullahanGrintchgrimal
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Eldurian said:
    Horusra said:
    For me has less to to with political bias and more to do with economic belief.  I believe free market capitalism is the driver of innovation.  When someone can make some cash people will compete for it.  Net Neutrality removes that drive.  While without there is, I hope, a desire for companies to provide new and better service than someone else to get your money.
    Yeah if the sky was going to fall without net neutrality it would have fallen before it became a thing in 2015:

Funnily enough "net neutrality" is loved by the big corporations, big government, and the many people who's opinions they have swayed using money and deception. It's hated by those who love the free market.

That's because you're being lied to. 0% of this is about protecting your rights. 100% of this is about government giving unfair market advantages to certain businesses and protecting ISP monopolies.

The big corporation ISPs (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) absolutely do not want net neutrality on the books.

As for being lied to...  There are multiple incidents in the past of those same ISPs committing acts in violation of net neutrality that have been well-documented.

Don't have time right now to watch the video you linked, but acting as if nobody truly understands this that wants net neutrality is being deceptive.  The ISP positions and historical records indicate a clear need for the oversight provided by net neutrality.  To think otherwise, at this point, is to ignore ore the reality of the situation with regards to major ISPs.
    YashaXAsm0deusAvarix

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Eldurian said:
    Horusra said:

What certain business are getting unfair market advantage under Net Neutrality?
    How is throttling innovative competitors NOT protecting ISP monopolies?

Also why are these idealogue trucker hats (who apparently identify with billion dollar corporations) ignoring bold faced evidence of what ISPs have done? 

Is it blind ideology or absolute stupidity? With the facts RIGHT THERE it can't be anything else.
    YashaXAsm0deusAvarix
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Netflix and Youtube for one. Under net neutrality ISPs can't charge more for high bandwith services than low bandwith services.

That's like if shipping companies were told they couldn't charge a different rate to deliver a pocket watch and a grand piano.

If people's grandparents want to get a cheaper internet package because all they do is play solitaire and check their e-mail that should be an option. 

I'm perfectly fine with paying for the services I use. I don't need the government to force people to subsidize the fact I game and watch Netflix.

This protects monopolies because this is a stifling business environment to new ISPs. They can't compete in this market because the costs of remaining NN compliant are so high.
    YashaXAsm0deusDullahanGrintchKyleran
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Eldurian said:
    Netflix and Youtube for one. Under net neutrality ISPs can't charge more for high bandwith services than low bandwith services.

That's like if shipping companies were told they couldn't charge a different rate to deliver a pocket watch and a grand piano.

If people's grandparents want to get a cheaper internet package because all they do is play solitaire and check their e-mail that should be an option. 

I'm perfectly fine with paying for the services I use. I don't need the government to force people to subsidize the fact I game and watch Netflix.

This protects monopolies because this is a stifling business environment to new ISPs. They can't compete in this market because the costs of remaining NN compliant are so high.
    • A pocket watch and grand piano aren't the same as 0s & 1s
    • ISPs already cap and charge overage for bandwidth usage
    • You already are paying for the services you use
    • Your tax dollars went to laying fiber optic lines and others lines before this (of which big ISPs didn't even really spend on infrastructure)
    • Smaller ISPs aren't spending money to be compliant, they are spending dollars on PROVING they're compliant. The majority of them have 0 problem with the fair play aspect of the regulation and are actually FOR Net Neutrality.
    • Read the letter 40 ISPs wrote to Ajit Pai. Don't take my word for it.
    YashaXAsm0deusMadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    The debate is a question of 'payment for access to what your paying for'

not 'price for what your paying for'

The conversation is not about how much the truck stop is charging, the question is about the freeway that goes to it.

I think this topic is far to detailed for a gaming forum to handle so I am trying to stay out but I thought I might at least try to keep it on track
    YashaXpostlarval

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2017
    It's pretty simple.... companies should be Internet Service Providers or  content providers....not both period.

When I surf the web whether I am skyping, watching youtube, using facebook, streaming movies, tv or music or gaming it's not any of the ISPs damned business and they shouldn't have any right trying to charge me more or less because of what I am doing or block content cause it's their competition etc etc.

They can already cater to certain groups by offering certain packages, exactly for old folks that just facebook and do emails  or groups that game or groups that game and stream etc etc etc.

It's the same thing with Trumps BS idea of trying to make monument changes in the US, it has nothing to do with giving back to the people and all to do with taking control and removing protections, that protect the interest of the PUBLIC, to give more control to his company cronies so they can rape and pillage their way to big $$$$ like big ISP and big oil. 

It's a recurring theme with Trump and anyone with half a working brain cell can see this and it's influencing everything he does.

Why bring Trump into this?  Well for one he's the one that designated Ajit Pai as FCC Chairman and no one is going to tell me there's no conflicts of interest for a Verizon shill to be in that position.
    YashaX

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I'm for net neutrality at least until there is adequate competition across a large portion of the country's population.  Removing it before that is asking for trouble
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    All I know is my gut says maybe. . .
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited December 2017
    The real problem is that big ISPs sue the daylights out of smaller ISPs that attempt to trespass on their territory. That is a much bigger threat to our internet access, as well as the reason US infrastructure is crap and why we pay twice as much for internet than anyone else in the world.

If this wasn't happening, net neutrality wouldn't even be an issue; the free market would take care of it. As is, we have an oligopoly and the chances of competition becoming a thing in the US are almost nonexistent. Since that probably won't be changing, net neutrality is basically the best we can hope for.

Net neutrality isn't a good thing - regulation almost never is. Anyone that thinks these giant providers have suddenly become virtuous or freedom-loving have their head in the sand. Likewise, of course Google, the kings of sensorship, are happy about net neutrality. When their customers can't be throttled, it guarantees they get more clicks and ad revenue...
    Asm0deus

• linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Asm0deus said:
    ScotchUp said:
    Makes me laugh after 8 years of Obama, any law no matter what it is called can't be trusted when Government is telling us how great it will be for America. Keep Government out of internet!
    Makes me laugh all the Obama hate, when you got someone like Trump who is only doing his best to line his pockets, and how some people think "Govment" is big bad and evil so lets give all the powa to them nice caring corporations cause they sure have your best interests at heart......lolz
    Don't mind the uneducated hack that is ScotchUp. @Scotchup Clearly you don't understand that the internet is still regulated by the government and always has been. During the 1990's ISPs were regulated under Title II and even in the very onset stages of the 2000's it was not until Bush's FCC classified them as Title I that there was a change in regulation.

The change in regulation came at the behest of the DSL providers when Cable started to be useful for internet service as a means of making it harder for cable to compete with incumbent DSL providers. Cable still managed to find a way (as many already had lines) and the DSL providers quite literally sat on their ass not really improving (that's why DSL speeds are shit in most of the US and yet other countries have faster ADSL based speeds).

Regulation was never switched back to title II until the point of net neutrality came up when verizon sued the FCC for enshrining net neutrality rules as something that needed to be followed. The ISPs were quite literally put back into the regulatory bracket they should of belonged in in the first place and Tom Wheeler didn't even take a heavier handed approach to the Title II regulations he could of put in place such as price fixing, local-loop unbundling (this would actually give us competition if local loops were forced to carry multiple isps), and a few other things. 

None of the regulation from the FCC defines what is and is not allowed to be put on the internet. There is zero censorship and they only regulate what the ISPs are allowed to do to customers in a way to prevent abuses from the industries they are supposed to regulate. Pai hopes to pull back not just net neutrality and title II, but realistically Title I regulations as well and wants to push regulation over to the FTC who take years to be able to do anything and can't do shit until shit has already hit the fan not to mention the FTC has literally no teeth for regulation outside of antitrust suites.

The Obama era FCC was quite literally ending an unjust period of time that happened during the Bush years in an attempt to protect the telecom industry who at the time were using phone lines (copper) from actual competition sprouting up. And those that want to say "but net neutrality didn't exist on the internet before Tom Wheeler" don't realize that it has been a point of contention since the mid 90's (isps didn't like it then) and yet they have followed the basic tenants of it up until it was broken even despite massive lobbying in the mid 2000's (2005 - 2006 area). So essentially until it was broken the ISPs were literally following it so the internet has always had net neutrality in place save for a 1 - 3 year period there. 

The change is literally making the FCC just do their god damned jobs properly. ISPs should of never been regulated as information services. They may offer information services/webservices over their lines, but they are telecommunication networks first and foremost and should be regulated as such and no regulation does not mean censoring the internet it means protecting consumers (in this case consumers might be web service companies too) from telecommunications companies acting in bad faith to the detriment of the american people. 
    Asm0deusYashaXgrimalKyleran
    I'm for net neutrality at least until there is adequate competition across a large portion of the country's population.  Removing it before that is asking for trouble
    For that we'd really need to push for more stringent Title II based regulations such as Local-Loop Unbundling. 
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I wish that Ajit Pai would take a long walk off a short pier.  The USA voted-in these type of people, & those that would place them into these positions, so we're sadly getting what we deserve.  The USA will be taking a couple of steps backwards the next few years upon multiple fronts & this will probably be just one example.
    YashaX
    Eldurian said:

Excpet you the customer already pay for access to bandwidth. The ISPs already have peering agreements for data coming into their network from the big guys (level 3 etc) and data going out of their own network. This is the basic premise of how the internet works. The problem is that you are actually heavily uneducated on the matter. Net Neutrality states that all data types of the same kind need to be treated the same. If you have web video on your network you need to treat it all the same (including your own service ultimately) so that eveyone is treated fairly and no one is given a leg up.

It isn't about charging more for high or low bandwidth services and never has been. Netflix also is not a high bandwidth service in general terms (unless you are streaming 4k video streams) on average a household has a singular netflix account and at most a netflix account can do 4 screens (4 streams at once) you are looking at under 30 mbps used (it's like 26.24 mbps) if everyone in a single household is watching an HD stream at the same time (more if 4k, but 4k isn't the average and there just isn't that much 4k content out there).

Not to mention that the issue was never about bandwidth and had to do with the interconects (links) between Netflix's isp and comcast etc. Now a small hint for you here Netflix's ISP is a larger tier 1 or tier 2 ISP who people like comcast also buy their bandwidth/data from (comcast etc are tier 3 providers). The interconnects between them are important to all web traffic and comcast was letting those that came in from Netflix's provider degrade and become congested so netflix traffic felt worse off than it would of been while allowing comcast's own traffic out of the network reliably using other interconnects. 

There is also the fact that netflix provides their openconnect platform which is free hardware they provide to an ISP to lessen their potential burden by bringing things in house a lot more.  This shit was a case of the isps simply wanting more money. Netflix and youtube are all compressed videos and no reasonably designed network should be struggling with them unless they are over subscribing their local loops/nodes heavily or letting their interconnects degrade/become congested on purpose. There is no reason when entering the age where providers are offering 100s of mbps connections that 26 mbps is congesting jack shit. You use more bandwidth downloading a game on your PS4, Xbox One, Switch, or PC. 
    Asm0deusYashaX
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    And who is to say that there will be any transparency? I can tell you right now I have one of the big three ISPs in the US, and they throttle Netflix today - still. My internet package can accommodate 8 simultaneous streams in 4k, yet I cannot stream on two devices simultaneously. Switch to a vpn on one device, I can get 4k on multiple devices again.

The only logical goal of net neutrality is to stifle competition in the event that their frivolous lawsuits against emerging competition no longer hold up.

edited December 2017
    Dullahan said:
    And who is to say that there will be any transparency? I can tell you right now I have one of the big three ISPs in the US, and they throttle Netflix today - still. My internet package can accommodate 8 simultaneous streams in 4k, yet I cannot stream on two devices simultaneously. Switch to a vpn on one device, I can get 4k on multiple devices again.

The only logical goal of net neutrality is to stifle competition in the event that their frivolous lawsuits against emerging competition no longer hold up.
    Net Neutrality actually does nothing to stifle emerging competition actually nor does Title II in fact the one of the key differences between Title I and Title II is that Title II regulation would actually make it easier for new competition to use poles instead of needing to dig trenches like they do with title I.  Net neutrality is meant to prevent ISPs from treating competition unfairly. Your ISP going against the rules while they are in place are against FCC regulations and your situation just proves that it is a necessity to have Net Neutrality and properly enforce it if anything. 

Also what you said toward the bottom there shows you don't know what Title II or Net Neutrality are about at all. Title II is actually necessary for competition, but we need to stop the light touch approach for it and go full on with it pushing price controls and local-unbundling while keeping net neutrality intact for those companies that provide the local loop, this would increase competition while allowing providers to build out the lines and rent them out or municpal governments to do the same. 

Frankly a large part of the reasons the isps could sue in the first place was due to Title I regulations, it was designed to keep competition away from incumbent providers because cable was poised to replace DSL (and it did) regulation was changed to try and give DSL isps a leg up to make cable isps have to dig trenches and loads of other shit that slows them down massively. 
    Asm0deusYashaX
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Dullahan said:

Net Neutrality actually does nothing to stifle emerging competition actually nor does Title II in fact the one of the key differences between Title I and Title II is that Title II regulation would actually make it easier for new competition to use poles instead of needing to dig trenches like they do with title I.  Net neutrality is meant to prevent ISPs from treating competition unfairly. Your ISP going against the rules while they are in place are against FCC regulations and your situation just proves that it is a necessity to have Net Neutrality and properly enforce it if anything. 

Also what you said toward the bottom there shows you don't know what Title II or Net Neutrality are about at all. 

Net Neutrality does everything to stifle new competition because the new companies can not offer what Net Neutrality requires them to offer cause it costs too much upfront.
    YashaXgrimal
    Horusra said:
    Dullahan said:

Also what you said toward the bottom there shows you don't know what Title II or Net Neutrality are about at all. 

Net Neutrality does everything to stifle new competition because the new companies can not offer what Net Neutrality requires them to offer cause it costs too much upfront.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh quite false so stop spewing nonsense. All Net Neutrality requires is treating all data of a single kind the same way. This does not cost "too much up front" nor does Title II regulations. You are literally buying into shit the ISPs are saying hook line and sinker and you don't seem to grasp that the reason it is expensive has nothing to do with regulation from the federal government under title II or title I and everything to do with local permits, costs to run fiber, equipment costs etc and that's a lot of what it is. Title II won't help bring down costs, title I won't help bring down costs, a full repeal won't help bring down costs, nor will deregulation at the federal level bring down costs. 

You are in this mindset that treating video packets all the same, treating game packets all the same, treating website packets all the same and applying proper QoS is somehow costing an ISP more. They've been doing this shit forever and it's basically more costly to not follow along with "doing nothing" as you need to start developing systems to prioritize specific traffic from a specific source a certain way or not and that would actually drive up costs. There isn't "increased costs" with net neutrality or title II at all actually Title II isn't costing isps more, it isn't lowering investments, and it isn't making it harder for new isps like fixed wireless Wisps to enter the market despite what some of the larger isps and consortium of isps/industry shills will say about it. 

These regulations hurt absolutely no one other than squashing a new way isps wanted to make money off webservices that they themselves are not hosting. 
    AvarixAsm0deusYashaXgrimal
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Horusra said:
    Dullahan said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh quite false so stop spewing nonsense. All Net Neutrality requires is treating all data of a single kind the same way. This does not cost "too much up front" nor does Title II regulations. You are literally buying into shit the ISPs are saying hook line and sinker and you don't seem to grasp that the reason it is expensive has nothing to do with regulation from the federal government under title II or title I and everything to do with local permits, costs to run fiber, equipment costs etc and that's a lot of what it is. Title II won't help bring down costs, title I won't help bring down costs, a full repeal won't help bring down costs, nor will deregulation at the federal level bring down costs. 

You are in this mindset that treating video packets all the same, treating game packets all the same, treating website packets all the same and applying proper QoS is somehow costing an ISP more. They've been doing this shit forever and it's basically more costly to not follow along with "doing nothing" as you need to start developing systems to prioritize specific traffic from a specific source a certain way or not and that would actually drive up costs. There isn't "increased costs" with net neutrality or title II at all actually Title II isn't costing isps more, it isn't lowering investments, and it isn't making it harder for new isps like fixed wireless Wisps to enter the market despite what some of the larger isps and consortium of isps/industry shills will say about it. 

These regulations hurt absolutely no one other than squashing a new way isps wanted to make money off webservices that they themselves are not hosting. 

Like your propaganda you are spewing is truth.  For a new company they have to be able to keep up the speeds to everyone.  Take your crap and peddle it to the noob masses.
    Asm0deusYashaXgrimal
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    Dullahan said:

Like your propaganda you are spewing is truth.  For a new company they have to be able to keep up the speeds to everyone.  Take your crap and peddle it to the noob masses.
    You are aware that net neutrality has nothing to do with keeping up speeds to everyone. It simply defines treating all data of a certain type the same way. You are uneducated on the matter and i'm actually speaking the truth. Either you are uneducated, a troll, or an industry shill. If a company has trouble delivering net video they could under net neutrality have all net video be slow and throttle it to say 480p if they wanted, but they have to do it for EVERY web video web service and can't treat their own shit any differently. Net neutrality is about making sure all data of a certain type is treated the same way in your network so that you as a company cannot favor your own services over a competitor or the service of a "partner" over a competitor it makes sure all your data of that type be it video, video games, torrent traffic, websites, or any other kind of web service that is out there is treated the same way.

You couldn't say favor traffic coming from youtube over say netflix, or game data coming from EA over say blizzard as the packets for that type of shit are doing the SAME thing and oft using the same data (compressed video is usually using the same amount of data because almost everyone is using the same type of compression and codecs and most game packets are very small packets that are just location data and ping) a new company doesn't have to keep up the speeds to "everyone" and they'd actually be free to throttle any type of shit they'd need to under QoS. The difference between QoS is that you'd handle packet types only as opposed to packets from a specific source. 

Again your the only one spewing lies, crap, or propaganda here. You act like a troll or industry shill, or again you are uneducated on the matter at hand and just believe the shit you are spoon fed to you  by republicans. libertarians, or you simply trust the word of lobbyists at their word. A new ISP does not  have to provide a set "speed" to everyone and it isn't costing them anymore money than it cost before. You have no idea wtf net neutrality or what Title I or II are.  
    FlyByKnightAsm0deusOnisDEJunglecharlyKyutaSyukoYashaX
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Problem is... you're already addicted to the internet and they know it.  You can't part with it and will ultimately give up one of your balls to keep accessing it.

And lest we forget, Ma Bell was monopoly back in the day but they were never as greedy as all the companies that sprouted up to take their place.  

Government interference typically does more harm than good.  Mainly because the people running it are as corrupt as the people they claim to be protecting us from.

It doesn't matter what you think about Net Neutrality... you have no voice in it whatsoever to begin with.  You just think you do.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    edited December 2017

I'm for NN, but only because I live in a rural area. We only get one option for most internet service. Yes, I could get satellite instead but the latency would make gaming impossible. Therefor I only have 1 ISP option.

I'm all for capitalism, but the fact is it's a system that just doesn't work unless the consumer has actual options to pick from. So unless and until someone gets an entire other set of back-bone infrastructure in place(which will likely not happen for decades if ever). Government regulation is the only thing from protecting us from being 100% at the mercy of the available ISP's.

If the system wasn't actually broken then Comcast wouldn't still be the juggernaut it is currently, after getting such terrible customer reviews and satisfaction year after year.  They just don't care because they own the cables so it doesn't matter how much people hate them.

DullahanRidelynn
    I haven't bothered to become informed about this subject.  At first blush it seemed like something I should be for, however once I saw the groups supporting it....I'm probably against it.

It's next to impossible to get facts anymore, everything is agenda driven.

I just don't care enough about this to go digging for the answers.
    ISPs are against net neutrality. The groups actively supporting it are those that offer web services because it will mean they have to pay more to get preferential treatment or potentially slowed down vs competitors. No web service in their right mind would be against it. The groups supporting it and the companies supporting it are supporting it because it means paying to potentially get priority on top of them already having to pay their own isps (who already have peering agreements with the ISPs for data flowing in and out of the isps network). 

WIthout net neutrality it could let isps block sites unless a customer pays extra to unlock those sites or a website pays to get itself unblocked. The reason why you have groups you may not associate with normally and groups you might associate with normally all getting together on this one thing is primarily because of what it could ultimately lead to.

I've stated many fact that people don't want to listen to. I've stated reasoning and what has actually happened. I support net neutrality, but what I have said is not propaganda or lies. ISPs have come out with what they already plan to do in the past and tenants they have broken in the past have been blocking VOIP other than their own among a slew of other things. Regulation is a necessity unless we have healthy competition and sadly the only way we are going to get competition is local-loop unbundling which would also require regulating wholesale prices and then making sure the actual lines provided are neutral in the first place (no funny business outside of QoS), but alas that will never freaking happen

I'm for NN, but only because I live in a rural area. We only get one option for most internet service. Yes, I could get satellite instead but the latency would make gaming impossible. Therefor I only have 1 ISP option.

I'm all for capitalism, but the fact is it's a system that just doesn't work unless the consumer has actual options to pick from. So unless and until someone gets an entire other set of back-bone infrastructure in place(which will likely not happen for decades if ever). Government regulation is the only thing from protecting us from being 100% at the mercy of the available ISP's.

If the system wasn't actually broken then Comcast wouldn't still be the juggernaut it is currently, after getting such terrible customer reviews and satisfaction year after year.  They just don't care because they own the cables so it doesn't matter how much people hate them.

Well the back-bone infrastructure isn't really the problem here though. It is the last mile providers (comcast etc) that are a problem. Comcast and others are not backbone providers (tier 1 providers are) so it is puzzling really. Ultimately the last mile providers don't want to run the lines because it'll cost too much even though the back-bone providers paid for a good chunk of it and the ISPs are really just laying down last mile stuff outside of where their links are. It is mind boggling really how bad they are in rural areas simply cuz they can't milk ya hardcore.

If Elon Musk's sattelite idea for internet works and is low latency it could bring actual competition to the isps ultimately. Also just to point out an entirely free market economy never works. Capitalism requires rules and regulations to function properly because otherwise one company would just buy all newcomers or be able to squash them before they could get started monetarily by vastly lowering prices. So capitalism exists in a society with rules and regulations. Those who want entirely free markets are delusional people that weren't alive before regulations existed or know very little of history. 
    Ridelynn
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The only way to have a monopoly is through the government or another means of using force. There will always be someone willing to compete when there is enough profit to be made. Even the worst monopolies in US history couldn't do anything with those monopolies as competitors always entered when they drove up prices. The only reason we have monopolies in ISPs outside of rural areas is because of the local governments enforcement of those monopolies.
This discussion has been closed.