Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't envy the people who have to do year end lists and awards...

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
Let's face it 2017 was pretty abysmal when it comes to MMORPGs. The year end stuff is going to be padded with nonMMOs and expansions along with all the kickstarter MMOs that have been on lists for years now.

Good luck with that.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

[Deleted User]

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Private Server games are the way to go, they are exploding in fantasticism. (word I just made up).

and in my opinion so much so it makes this era of gaming the best in history

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    SEANMCAD said:
    Private Server games are the way to go, they are exploding in fantasticism. (word I just made up).

Yeah and I think classic WoW was the best news all year. What does that say about 2017 tho? If you have to list emulators and private servers...
    roalanddeniter

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited December 2017
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Yeah and I think classic WoW was the best news all year. What does that say about 2017 tho? If you have to list emulators and private servers...
    I might have the alphas wrong but for this year:
    7 Days to Die Alpha 16
    Emperium Galaxic Survival Alpha 6
    Space Engineers Beta
    Medevil Engineers
    Subnautica (although no MP I dont think)
    Life is Fuedual MMO release

my time is limited today but I can go on if you need

'classic wow' can suck me

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Nilden said:
    Let's face it 2017 was pretty abysmal when it comes to MMORPGs. The year end stuff is going to be padded with nonMMOs and expansions along with all the kickstarter MMOs that have been on lists for years now.

Good luck with that.
    I don't envy then too but for other reason, I don't give a flying fuck about what these people belive is good or bad
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.
    I don't envy then too but for other reason, I don't give a flying fuck about what these people belive is good or bad
    Yeah seriously. Game reviewers still get hyped about WoW clones every time a new one is announced and we're supposed to care about their opinions?

A note to game reviewers. After over a decade of clones there is only one question I care about:

"How is this game different than all the other games already on the market?"

If you don't have a good answer to that question I don't care about the game or your review of it.
    Eldurian said:
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.
    Yeah seriously. Game reviewers still get hyped about WoW clones every time a new one is announced and we're supposed to care about their opinions?

A note to game reviewers. After over a decade of clones there is only one question I care about:

"How is this game different than all the other games already on the market?"

If you don't have a good answer to that question I don't care about the game or your review of it.
    I am nearly positive that those so called reviewers are either paid by marketing departments of said games or are heavily persuaded in the form of special lunches, events, give away, journalism events and the like 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nilden said:

Good luck with that.
    I can hear it now, "2017.  Wait til next year."

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I agree, I wouldn't like to have to create any lists / awards for the MMO genre this year, but then I've felt the same for the last 5 years or so. This year is just a bit worse as I don't think we've had any western MMOs release, so you're limited to eastern MMOs and expansions. 

If you broaden your lists to include any online multiplayer games, or just games in general, then its not so bad. The games industry as a whole isn't doing too badly - the RPG genre is pretty stale but other genres are having more success. 
    Kyleran
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I agree, I wouldn't like to have to create any lists / awards for the MMO genre this year, but then I've felt the same for the last 5 years or so. This year is just a bit worse as I don't think we've had any western MMOs release, so you're limited to eastern MMOs and expansions. 

If you broaden your lists to include any online multiplayer games, or just games in general, then its not so bad. The games industry as a whole isn't doing too badly - the RPG genre is pretty stale but other genres are having more success. 
    Well, the RPG genre itself did see D:OS2 release (I know, just one release, but so good a title as to make up for it), so it's really been MMORPGs specifically.

Oh well.  There's always next year.
    Avarix

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

7 Days to Die Alpha 16
    Space Engineers Beta
    Medevil Engineers

I think that you illustrate one of the major problems in the industry right now, too. That is game state. All but one of the games you mention here is in some state of test. Now, I'll cut you off at the pass, I understand how games these days utilize Early Access. HOWEVER!! That doesn't change the fact that I cannot tell you, at a glance, what the state of the game is or what features that are selling features to ME are actually in the game. Now, I'm ok with that in many cases. However, that doesn't change the fact that you're buying into something  that is somewhat nebulous. 

In the context of this discussion, I don't know how those fit in. Are we going to start awarding GOTY awards to games in alpha? I think that Early Access only complicates the process of selecting things like "Most <insert award> of 2018" that much more difficult, since predictability of these indie titles approaches impossible. 

Kyleran

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited December 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

7 Days to Die Alpha 16
    Space Engineers Beta
    Medevil Engineers

I think that you illustrate one of the major problems in the industry right now, too. That is game state. All but one of the games you mention here is in some state of test. Now, I'll cut you off at the pass, I understand how games these days utilize Early Access. HOWEVER!! That doesn't change the fact that I cannot tell you, at a glance, what the state of the game is or what features that are selling features to ME are actually in the game. Now, I'm ok with that in many cases. However, that doesn't change the fact that you're buying into something  that is somewhat nebulous. 

In the context of this discussion, I don't know how those fit in. Are we going to start awarding GOTY awards to games in alpha? I think that Early Access only complicates the process of selecting things like "Most <insert award> of 2018" that much more difficult, since predictability of these indie titles approaches impossible. 

I could not remotely give a fuck what 'state' the game is in.

They are fun.

So ok, then fine....in a few years it will be the best era of gaming ever when these titles 'come out'.....rolls eyes

also just for fun observation.
    The three top 'early access' titles combined sold more than Witcher 3 on ALL platforms.
    Kyleran

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Isn't it still just in beta? If the actual MMO is out then they didn't advertise it like... at all.
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Isn't it still just in beta? If the actual MMO is out then they didn't advertise it like... at all.
    No Idea actually I thought it was released. I normally dont pay attention to that, I just play what is fun. as a side note did you know the top early access games while they were in early access (not completed) sold more copies then Witcher 3 on all platforms?

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703

Well, the RPG genre itself did see D:OS2 release (I know, just one release, but so good a title as to make up for it), so it's really been MMORPGs specifically.

Oh well.  There's always next year.
    To me, the RPG genre seems to have been in trouble for quite a while. We seem to be restricted (mostly) to old school isometric types, there really hasn't been much else. We get the occasional big RPG, like Witcher 3 or DA:I, but they are few and far between and often heavily story focused. 

So, if you're like me and don't enjoy isometric RPGs, especially ARPGs, you are really limited in choice. If you don't like story either (which I don't), you're basically shit outta luck. 
    MadFrenchie
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I'm sure mmorpg.com will try and convince us it's been a swell year. No doubt ESO will head the list, they seem to be obsessed with the game. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

No Idea actually I thought it was released. I normally dont pay attention to that, I just play what is fun. as a side note did you know the top early access games while they were in early access (not completed) sold more copies then Witcher 3 on all platforms?
    You realize as a side note they sold more units because they frequently give away there game for the price of a large bag of Skittles thru Steam sales.......................just sayin
    Kyleran
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You realize as a side note they sold more units because they frequently give away there game for the price of a large bag of Skittles thru Steam sales.......................just sayin
    yes..

but you also understand that an indie game (x3) that isnt even released yet and has nearly zero advertising should not even come remotely close to the same orbit of sales as Witcher 3, let alone more than

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    I have noticed that this site among others, has increased the number of awards given out. But every awards site/event does that. From the Oscar's to the Olympics, the drive to be ever bigger is always there.

Looking forward to seeing what gets best Tiny Soloplayer Online Game from this years MMORPG awards. :D
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

7 Days to Die Alpha 16
    Space Engineers Beta
    Medevil Engineers

They are fun.

So ok, then fine....in a few years it will be the best era of gaming ever when these titles 'come out'.....rolls eyes

The three top 'early access' titles combined sold more than Witcher 3 on ALL platforms.

If you are rolling your eyes, you obviously aren't getting "it". That's great that you, someone spending 20 hours a week talking about games (speculative), knows what is good and what isn't. The point is that the reason that it's a bad thing is that these games aren't actually being exposed to casual gamers at the same level. That's what you're not getting. 

I'm not disputing sales and I'm not bashing these games, like you think that I am, I'm just saying that, in the context of this article, it complicates the job of critics to say what's good and what's not good in any given year because release dates are no longer predicted. 

Also, the release cycle is MUCH different. Take a look at Ark, for instance. Sold MILLIONS!!! in early access, what were the sales after release? Very few. So, in it's release year, should it get GOTY consideration? All the hype behind the game is gone. In fact, I'd be surprised if many critics didn't just forget it had even released. This is what I mean by complicated. Ark was awesome..... but it was awesome in alpha, all that love kinda melted away before release. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited December 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

7 Days to Die Alpha 16
    Space Engineers Beta
    Medevil Engineers

They are fun.

If you are rolling your eyes, you obviously aren't getting "it". That's great that you, someone spending 20 hours a week talking about games (speculative), knows what is good and what isn't. The point is that the reason that it's a bad thing is that these games aren't actually being exposed to casual gamers at the same level. That's what you're not getting. 

I'm not disputing sales and I'm not bashing these games, like you think that I am, I'm just saying that, in the context of this article, it complicates the job of critics to say what's good and what's not good in any given year because release dates are no longer predicted. 

Also, the release cycle is MUCH different. Take a look at Ark, for instance. Sold MILLIONS!!! in early access, what were the sales after release? Very few. So, in it's release year, should it get GOTY consideration? All the hype behind the game is gone. In fact, I'd be surprised if many critics didn't just forget it had even released. This is what I mean by complicated. Ark was awesome..... but it was awesome in alpha, all that love kinda melted away before release. 
    again..

then for you that means in a few more years it will be the best era in gaming ever, for me its now.

you are making the choice to not play good games and instead look at bad ones and complain.

that is the bottom line here, regardless of my eye roll.

are we done?

oh and I have 1000+ hours in 7 days to die around 300 hundern in SE, and no it not testing for me and no its not filled with bugs

SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes..

but you also understand that an indie game (x3) that isnt even released yet and has nearly zero advertising should not even come remotely close to the same orbit of sales as Witcher 3, let alone more than
    umm  Steam is not Zero advertising , its the Biggest Digital Platform by far , And when they put a game up for sale like that it is front and center to anyone whos tags remotley match anything they have played similar before ...Hence why they sell so many units
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nilden said:
    SEANMCAD said:

yes..

umm  Steam is not Zero advertising , its the Biggest Digital Platform by far , And when they put a game up for sale like that it is front and center to anyone whos tags remotley match anything they have played similar before ...Hence why they sell so many units
    I didnt say 'zero' I said nearly zero marketing.

I mean come on are you honestly trying to compare a Steam autospinner to the multimillion dollar marketing campagin of Witcher 3?

why do you guys work so hard to make up any excuse remotely possible to not look at options?

your doomed for despair if you complain about the bucket of games you are looking at and also refuse to look outside that same box.

edited December 2017
    lmao ... *wonders how many units of Witcher 3 Steam and GOG could sell in 24 hours for same 7.99 that those indie titles sold for ... *

and for the record i have played and owned 7DTD since its first day in Steam ... We look at options .. you are misguided tho.. And to assault every thread with your same agenda is troubling ... get a grip on your self ...
    edited December 2017
    Scorchien said:
    lmao ... *wonders how many units of Witcher 3 Steam and GOG could sell in 24 hours for same 7.99 that those indie titles sold for ... *

and for the record i have played and owned 7DTD since its first day in Steam ... We look at options .. you are misguided tho
    again..
    3 titles that are:
    1. indie small budget
    2. early access (as in not even completed)
    3. extreemly low marketing budget that pales in comparision to Witcher 3

vs

1. one of the most popular titles in the so called AAA universe by a rather large margin.
    2. sold on multiple platforms
    3. HUGE marketing budget, which includes reviews on pretty much every single game journalist site ever.

Sales of those three indie titles should not have even come remotely CLOSE to Witcher 3.

but regardless of all that manure, who cares? you going to play anything other than games to complain about? of course not. Just sit there looking at the only 10 acceptable games in ones universe, complain about the state of gaming and ignore people who say there are fantastic options....brilliant!

SEANMCAD said:
    Scorchien said:

and for the record i have played and owned 7DTD since its first day in Steam ... We look at options .. you are misguided tho
    again..
    3 titles that are:
    1. indie small budget
    2. early access (as in not even completed)
    3. extreemly low marketing budget that pales in comparision to Witcher 3

vs

1. one of the most popular titles in the so called AAA universe by a rather large margin.
    2. sold on multiple platforms
    3. HUGE marketing budget, which includes reviews on pretty much every single game journalist site ever.

Sales of those three indie titles should not have even come remotely CLOSE to Witcher 3.

but regardless of all that manure, who cares? you going to play anything other than games to complain about? of course not. Just sit there looking at the only 10 acceptable games in ones universe, complain about the state of gaming and ignore people who say there are fantastic options....brilliant!
    lol ... so misguided ...................

1. If they sold so many its not such a limited budget ( and W3 was funded by KS) also
       2. EA means nothing in this anylonger we all know EA titles can sell well there are dozens of examples ..
       3.. you talk as if you know what W3 marketing Budget was .. You have no idea .. And i dont think its near what you are exaggerating

but you just keep assaulting every thread with your agenda , it will catch up to you ..