Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition rapidly growing for EA to lose Star Wars license passes 110k signers.

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
edited December 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I wasn't sure if there was already a thread on this, but I'll post it anyway.

Petition here: https://www.change.org/p/lucasfilm-revoke-ea-s-star-wars-license

You can literally see the count raise every second.

"Early last week, a petition surfaced with the intent of requesting that LucasFilm parent company Disney remove the Star Wars license from Electronic Arts. As can be expected, Star Wars fans were frustrated with the studio’s handling of the franchise for Battlefront 2, especially as it pertains to microtransactions and loot boxes.

When we first reported on the petition, it was gaining steam and had about 19,000 signatures, but now it has exploded. It’s only a few days later, and now the petition is up to 110,000 signatures and climbing.

While this petition has attracted a ton of attention from fans, it is unlikely actually to result in Disney removing Electronic Arts’ license at least right now. The two companies most likely signed a contract that guaranteed EA would be the sole publisher for Star Wars games (not including Disney) and any breach of that contract would result in a hefty fine. That being said, if the agreement needs to be renewed, then Disney might think twice about partnering up with EA again.

If nothing else, things like this petition and gamer boycotts of Star Wars Battlefront 2 will force publishers to rethink how they approach monetizing games through microtransactions and loot boxes. There has always been a slippery slope when it comes to add-ons, but recently developers and publishers have begun to push the envelope concerning what fun loot box content is and what is pay-to-win. A game like Middle-earth: Shadow of War, for example, chose to use loot boxes to bolster its single-player experience, which was met with plenty of raised eyebrows from gamers.

But then Star Wars Battlefront 2 came along with exorbitant price points for hero characters and loot boxes that contain Star Cards with player buffs. It wasn’t overtly pay-to-win, but EA was skirting the line by allowing players to use real money to purchase loot boxes. The company was quick to remove the Crystal currency from the game (temporarily) in the hopes of saving face for the game’s official launch.

Unfortunately, the damage was done for EA and sales have been much lower for Battlefront 2, and the company’s stock took a tumble recently. So while this petition might eventually result in Disney revoking EA’s Star Wars license, it has hopefully opened publishers’ eyes to how damaging a vocal and frustrated community can be."

Gdemami4507JamesGoblin

Comments

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    change.org is a good gauge for other politicians to look at and see if it's a cause worthy of their time.  I'm glad to see people getting organized against predatory game mechanics.

Dauzqul[Deleted User]
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    change.org is a good gauge for other politicians to look at and see if it's a cause worthy of their time.  I'm glad to see people getting organized against predatory game mechanics.

lol, so true. "What can I do to get people to like me."
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I remember the first day it started in EQ2 a number of years ago.Promises by Smedley that we would retain sub servers and microtransaction servers but he lied and soon all of SOE was using rmt.

Where is SOE today??
    HUGE mistake and greed lead Smedley out the door and now finally several years later,the rest of the crowd are waking up to BS tactics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I signed it, and have been spreading the word about it as best I can. I want that license revoked.
    DauzqulKyleranRexKushman
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2017
    Disney's dealing with their own kerfluffel, being accused of running a 21 minute Frozen short feature in front of Coco as a Christmas marketing scam.

They are going to pull it from theatres in response to audience backlash.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/4/16709884/olafs-frozen-adventure-coco-disney-pixar-explained

[Deleted User]ConstantineMeruswingoodborghive49laserit

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Well at last Battlefront 2 had some questionable micro transactions.  Generally these reddit crusades are completely ridiculous.  I expect EA will go back to primarily cosmetic with some quality of life purchases for their next couple releases.  Although I've heard the UFC 3 beta is pretty bad as well?  Maybe nothing will change.  

I'm not sure about losing their license.  Personally I don't care either way, but what will even change?  It will just go to activision or tencent... same shit.  
    Siug
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    EA owns the License to 2023 ..............Its not going to change
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Why should EA lose the license?  Is there any other company better than EA at using popular IPs to convince people to pay too much money for bad games?

The reality is that EA will lose the license when Disney decides there's more money to be had by licensing Star Wars to some other game company, and not a day sooner.  Contracts may make that unlikely to happen before the current deal expires.  Disney, like EA, exists to make money.  If you don't like how they're trying to make money, then don't give them any of yours.
    [Deleted User]wingoodforcelimaKyleranlaseritZalgotas
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    And give it to who exactly? I doubt CDPR would want it :)
    Siug
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Spread the word, tell people to vote with their wallets. 
    ThebeastttQuizzicalPopple
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This is the only petition that matters to them. Continue to punish their shareholders and s*** will change real quick.
    Popple
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Like most change.org petitions this will be ignored, as it should be. The site started with good intentions but when garbage like this petition are on there you know change.org has jumped the shark.

If you don't like the game then don't buy it, pretty simple.
    [Deleted User]borghive49

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Call me a dreamer but... I'd rather see a petition to get SWG back. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    This is the only petition that matters to them. Continue to punish their shareholders and s*** will change real quick.

Yeh .. unfortunately, most people voting with their wallet is not going to work. You need the whales to play ball.

Personally i am not going to pay/play Battlefront 2, unless it comes to Origin Access. So none of these concerns me. 
    Rhoklaw said:

No shit, when your answer to everything is to bend over.
    No. My answer to everything is to walk away and find something else fun to do.

There are plenty of entertainment in this world. Binge a netflix show. Read a novel. Play Alien Isolation (yes, i have not yet finished that). Heck, come here and engage in forum pvp.

and if you don't think you are wasting your time, do continue. At least it will provide amusing entertainment in this forum. And hey, if it works, more power to you.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Kyleran said:
    Disney's dealing with their own kerfluffel, being accused of running a 21 minute Frozen short feature in front of Coco as a Christmas marketing scam.

They are going to pull it from theatres in response to audience backlash.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/4/16709884/olafs-frozen-adventure-coco-disney-pixar-explained

The punters get to see a short for free, I cannot understand the issue, the cinema should have made it clear what was going on.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I guess Im old fashioned. I just don't play the game.  If enough people did that they wouldn't be able to make any money on the game.  
    NildenRexKushmanPopple
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I am extremely against gambling in gaming. But the idea they should loose the licence is going way too far. Lets see if they learn their lesson, I would extend that courtesy to any person, company or government.

Instead of "punishing" them which is what many seem to want to do, try to remember most EA employees are not involved in the decisions which have led to gambling in their games.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I would like EA to lose the Star Wars license. 

Not because of the recent mtx issues (which I despise and want out of gaming) but because EA make mediocre games. With EA holding the license until 2023 it means I won't get a good Star Wars game for the next 6 years....and that sucks. 

What should happen instead is that EA lose their exclusive license and instead all developers are able to pitch for individual licenses. So, CDPR want to create a proper SW RPG? Great! Let them, as long as they pay for the license for that game. EA want to create an RPG? Nope, turn them down on that front, they're rubbish at RPGs so deny them the license for that one. But, EA want to create a Star Wars sports game? Sure, grant them the license for that. 

I really do hate exclusive licenses. I can understand the appeal for both developers/publishers as well as the IP holders, but for us as consumers it sucks. 
    Nilden

I really do hate exclusive licenses. I can understand the appeal for both developers/publishers as well as the IP holders, but for us as consumers it sucks. 

Disney (the license owner) has no obligation to make it "not suck" for you. It is always a two-way street. The IP owner can do whatever he/she pleases and if you like the product, you buy and enjoy.

Star Wars does not belong to you. Just like when George Lucas has the license, he could sit on it for decades without making a movie, and then made 3 bad movies. 

Can you really blame the IP owner trying to milk their property? 
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I will be honest a friend sent me a request to sign it so I did.  I know it will not change anything because Disney wouldn't pull it because they would end up having to pay EA a massive amount of money in penalties. 

What I would like the petition to do is open the eyes of companies giving exclusive control over IP's that were not created by that said company.  If other companies could buy into the license also it would give the companies competition to make better games, because the one that does it right is the one that would most likely bring in the money.  Selling all rights to one company does no one any good other than the CEO's that got massive payouts upfront for the licensing agreement.  So just maybe when this license agreement is finally over and star wars is most likely on the back burner for another 10 years they will think about how stupid this agreement was and how it could have hurt the IP in the long run.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706

Disney (the license owner) has no obligation to make it "not suck" for you. It is always a two-way street. The IP owner can do whatever he/she pleases and if you like the product, you buy and enjoy.

Star Wars does not belong to you. Just like when George Lucas has the license, he could sit on it for decades without making a movie, and then made 3 bad movies. 

Can you really blame the IP owner trying to milk their property? 
    Way to miss the point.....
    Cecropia
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Funny thing is... people are really only complaining about micro transactions here, not that the game is a complete disaster.  The people who care about such things are in the minority even though their voice may appear to be the majority.

This is merely a bump in the road.  It will be forgotten as soon as the next big game gets released.  They know it and you know it.
    Sovrath[Deleted User]
  • beebop500beebop500 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    DMKano said:
    Good luck with the petition and all that.

It won't do diddly squat.

You are 100% correct.  People are still buying the game in droves, and I'd love to know how many credit cards have been swiped so folks can "win."  One can only assume that regardless of the backlash, EA and Disney are laughing all the way to the bank.
    Sovrath
    "We are all as God made us, and many of us much worse." - Don Quixote
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    This is fringing on pathetic. Does anyone even know the terms of the deal EA signed? Do you understand that EA may have already paid upfront for the license, or are simply agreeing to pay Disney a set amount periodically over the course of the agreement? Meaning that Disney simply values their IP in this purpose at a set amount, which they're already getting, and however EA can turn around and use that investment to profit is entirely on them.

The buck stops there. And considering that is the type of arrangement EA has with the NFL for their exclusive rights (a deal we actually know some things about) then there's little reason to assume it's mechanically much different and that's probably an industry type of deal. Even if EA is entirely incompetent as a developer and can't manage to make a decent Star Wars game, Disney won't care (just like the NFL doesn't care), they've already valued the rights at a certain amount and EA were always going to be the highest bidder for those rights. It's called business buckos, and pleading because 'muh feelings' about perfectly legal and sound business decisions from both entities is overtly infantile.