Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for MMO

Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
Hey all. 

I'm looking for a PC MMO that my wife and I can duo.

Games we've already played:

EQ1 (99-04)
EQ2
Wildstar
SWtOR
GW2 (briefly)
TSW (briefly)

We tend to prefer fantasy, but sci-fi is ok.  We would prefer some challange and a sub is fine.  We don't care about microtransactions as long as they are not required to progress.

Any ideas?

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited December 2017
    Well if you have never played WoW, it fits right in and without it your list feels incomplete. 

But if you want to try something different, I suggest give BDO a try, it's for peanuts on Steam right now. 

Edit: yeah I in fact did edit my post. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Based on the games you listed above i cannot recommend bdo and if we are honest (Merus) the *peanuts* price is very misleading , u will most likely have to pay at least 100$ (each in your case) if u are to really enjoy bdo.
    Give elder scrolls online or wow  a go if u have not played them yet , u should get plenty of hours of fun as a duo o/
    ConstantineMerus
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    im in same boat, but seem like NONE mmorpg fit my need, only vanilla wow private server work for me, light hope is the name

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    The wife and I play ESO it is a lot of fun. the sub gives you some good rewards but you dont need it. as far as microtransactions go if you never bought anything from the store you would be fine.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Based on the games you listed above i cannot recommend bdo and if we are honest (Merus) the *peanuts* price is very misleading , u will most likely have to pay at least 100$ (each in your case) if u are to really enjoy bdo.
    Give elder scrolls online or wow  a go if u have not played them yet , u should get plenty of hours of fun as a duo o/
    Yes you're right about that part. I only meant peanuts price as an entrance to try the game. I don't know what I thought ESO was already on his list. Also a very good recommendation, better than mine on many levels :expressionless:
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited December 2017
    I'll recommend ESO as well. It's pretty much the only themepark I can tolerate anymore, although it's cash shop heavy.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2017
    I'd say LotRO too, give it a try.
    It is great for duo (for reference ask @Dragnelus they just started it recently :wink: ), you barely ever separated besides the first few minutes, or an hour tops based on the race selection (during the intro only man-hobbit and dwarf-elf can group up, due to the different areas).
    Classes also work pretty well together, everyone has skills for group play, and the fellowship maneuvers are fun.

If you go with sub, you can forget the in-game store (though you will still need the expansions later). Some challenge, that might be an issue though... instances and group quests will be fine difficulty-wise, but other than that as a duo you will find the on-level content fairly easy, especially in the early gameplay. It helps if you aim a bit higher (you can take quests up till 5 levels above you)
  • VedixszVedixsz Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I would say ESO, its really the only game that has successfully kept my interest for longer than a couple weeks. 
    I recently played LOTRO for like 2 weeks and its a decent game if you like the traditional (kill 5 of this, bring me this, talk to that guy quests) type of mmorpg but it gets very repetitive after a while so i just got bored of it. I sometimes play GW2 as well but overall i would say ESO is the better game. There is really not much to choose from in the mmorpg genre right now sadly... if you want a well populated and actually GOOD game you only have a couple to choose from. 
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Play Eve Online, create a corp and make 2-3 alts each, then try to infiltrate competitive corps, break alliances, steal money, embezzle, fraud, manipulate, gang, suicide gang miners,become total space psychos. At the end of the day your fame will go beyond the stars, everyone will know who the Scott23s are and what they can do.
    AlexanderVendiScott23Kyleran
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    I think as a duo unless you like everything super easy ESO is going to suck...  They made it basically a solo game with the Tamriel unlimited thing and it's level scaling.  Everything is easy solo not to mention if u had a friend with you.  You can't just go to a higher lvl zone anymore if you are looking for more challenge.  It's pathetically easy.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    FF14
    [Deleted User]
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I've just gotten back into BDO.  It's my 2nd try, and so far so good.  It has a significant learning curve (Which stopped me the first time).  It takes a bit to take it all in, but it might fit you.  It offers a lot of freedom and can be challenging.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Po_gg said:
    I'd say LotRO too, give it a try.
    It is great for duo (for reference ask @Dragnelus they just started it recently :wink: ), you barely ever separated besides the first few minutes, or an hour tops based on the race selection (during the intro only man-hobbit and dwarf-elf can group up, due to the different areas).
    Classes also work pretty well together, everyone has skills for group play, and the fellowship maneuvers are fun.

If you go with sub, you can forget the in-game store (though you will still need the expansions later). Some challenge, that might be an issue though... instances and group quests will be fine difficulty-wise, but other than that as a duo you will find the on-level content fairly easy, especially in the early gameplay. It helps if you aim a bit higher (you can take quests up till 5 levels above you)
    Yup, its a really fun game to play together. Also got a nice horse from the event!

Only quests you cant do together is class skills but only had 1 (lvl20 atm) and also must say the expansion discount played a big role in playing this game, was really cheap. 
    Po_gg

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    There's only 3 solo class quests, at level 15, 30 and 45 (which is technically 50 but can start at 45 and the first part is about collecting unique drops, so it's better to headstart :wink: ), there's a 4th at 58-60 but for that grouping is possible.
    There's also a couple non-grouped quests, but duo is an exception for that in most cases (technically solo, can't go with 3 or more friends, but can if you're only a duo).

All of those combined is maybe just a few % of the total quest number. The vast majority of the quests and instances in the game is available for duo.
    Kyleran
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293

Thank you for the suggestions.  Time to dig into them a little more :)