Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any active MUDs?

Is anyone playing any good, very active MUDs these days?  If so, what are they?  Thanks!

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    There are still beyond a small niche of players playing TEXT games?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    http://www.mudconnect.com/

Check out the top 10-20 MUDs it's a great place to start. I enjoy ZombieMUD as well.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Thanks!
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Some companies are still making some money off of them.

Books are still being sold as well, for the small niche of people that read.
    Scot
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Used to play Threshold back in the day. That's ok if you like required RP.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Actually reading book is not a small niche. Look at JK Rowling or John Grisham. I read novels all the time.

But games is about gameplay and NOT good writing/stories. How can one get good gameplay from text? Is it exciting to read "fireball hits you for 6 points" 20 times? 

In fact, i don't play games to get good story and i don't read novels to get gameplay. 
    bcbully
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      I visit Gemstone quite often , always active .. great game ...
    https://www.play.net/gs4/

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Anything from IronRealms will have population.   They even have the biggest fantasy tropes to choose from.    Though their monetization makes EA jealous...
    AndrewGoat

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Scorchien said:

wow .. this is still alive? I suppose since it is just a bunch of text, the upkeep is cheap and a tiny customer base is enough to keep it alive.

I remember it from the GEnie days. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Scorchien said:

how would you compare Gemstone to Dragonrealms? 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Actually reading book is not a small niche. Look at JK Rowling or John Grisham. I read novels all the time.

But games is about gameplay and NOT good writing/stories. How can one get good gameplay from text? Is it exciting to read "fireball hits you for 6 points" 20 times? 

In fact, i don't play games to get good story and i don't read novels to get gameplay. 

If you don't play games for good stories, you've been playing the wrong RPGs your whole life.  What do you play, FPS?
    chronoss2015

If you don't play games for good stories, you've been playing the wrong RPGs your whole life.  What do you play, FPS?

Are you kidding?

Diablo series .. great games ... story is optional and meh.

Torchlight 2 .. nice little game .. story meh .. i wasn't even reading through the text. Blah blah blah some alchemist you need to defeat. 

Destiny 2 .. good shooters (yeah FPS) .. story meh.

The now dead marvel heroes ... i play it for combat & marvel characters. If i want decent marvel stories, i go see the movies or read the comics.

I play RPGs for combat and progression. I have never played any games that have stories that can hold up to novels, and i am not looking for that. 

bcbully
  • AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    I have been a volunteer on one of the Iron Realms MUDs for a couple of years now, and I can say all of them are pretty active/great. A new one is coming out soon though, the first scifi one, Starmourn. If you're down for something new and interesting in the MUD space, keep an eye out for it.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    OP, DragonRealms is probably my favorite, with about 300-400 players on at peak.

You can find all you need here: http://mudstats.com

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

Are you kidding?

Diablo series .. great games ... story is optional and meh.

Torchlight 2 .. nice little game .. story meh .. i wasn't even reading through the text. Blah blah blah some alchemist you need to defeat. 

Destiny 2 .. good shooters (yeah FPS) .. story meh.

The now dead marvel heroes ... i play it for combat & marvel characters. If i want decent marvel stories, i go see the movies or read the comics.

I play RPGs for combat and progression. I have never played any games that have stories that can hold up to novels, and i am not looking for that. 

Welcome to WON, the world of Nari, can you imagine him playing a Mud? The mind boggles. :)
    postlarvalxyzercrime
    Yes, especially if you're tired of the sheer number of shitbags playing MMOs these days.
    KrematoryAndrewGoat

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    Good to see MUD's are still going, without them it is unlikely that we would have had MMORPGs starting as early as they did.
    AndrewGoat
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    mudstats.com to check out options based on populations.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited December 2017
    Can you imagine making a MUD today. People would freak out because they have to read. But i have one game on my phone. Its called The great Tournament. Its an enter active book and its really fun.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    So I asked before. But I think I'll expand my question instead of a one liner

What is the difference between GemstoneIV and DragonRealms? It seems DragonRealms might be a lot more immersive, because instead of DnD style numbers of Gemstone, you get an RP description of combat. That is a lot more immersive, and never liked the DnD mechanics in games (I like DnD in real life, but not the style for me in video games. I know a lot of games take inspiration from it, and that is okay, but flat out DnD style combat isn't my thing). 

The other difference, if I got it right...DragonRealms has fantasy but also some futuristic stuff to it? Or steampunk or something? So its a bit mix fantasy/sci-fi? That is really unique since most games are only sci-fi or only fantasy. I always liked the mixed style.

However, the HUGE downside I can see is DragonRealms is its heavily focused on PvP. I vastly prefer PvE in games and supposedly (as of 4 years ago, so quite some time ago) GemstoneIV is a lot more PVE focused? or are they about the same?

I like PvP and actually PvPed a lot in WoW. However when I did that was never forced to PvP. Same with GW2, even though GW2 is pvp focused, its always an option to PvP and never forced on you. And GW2 still has mountains of PVE content.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

So I asked before. But I think I'll expand my question instead of a one liner

What is the difference between GemstoneIV and DragonRealms? It seems DragonRealms might be a lot more immersive, because instead of DnD style numbers of Gemstone, you get an RP description of combat. That is a lot more immersive, and never liked the DnD mechanics in games (I like DnD in real life, but not the style for me in video games. I know a lot of games take inspiration from it, and that is okay, but flat out DnD style combat isn't my thing). 

The other difference, if I got it right...DragonRealms has fantasy but also some futuristic stuff to it? Or steampunk or something? So its a bit mix fantasy/sci-fi? That is really unique since most games are only sci-fi or only fantasy. I always liked the mixed style.

However, the HUGE downside I can see is DragonRealms is its heavily focused on PvP. I vastly prefer PvE in games and supposedly (as of 4 years ago, so quite some time ago) GemstoneIV is a lot more PVE focused? or are they about the same?

I like PvP and actually PvPed a lot in WoW. However when I did that was never forced to PvP. Same with GW2, even though GW2 is pvp focused, its always an option to PvP and never forced on you. And GW2 still has mountains of PVE content.

Yeah, I'm currently looking at Aardwolf, Gemstone IV and DragonRealms.  From what I can tell, the first two are more PvE-focused, and DragonRealms has a heavier PvP focus.  Can anyone confirm?  Thanks!
    Holy crap, Aardwolf has been around since 1996 and Gemstone, since 1989!  I guess Aardwolf has a rudimentary map while Gemstone is purely text-based?
    WTF, the DragonRealms Prime server costs $$$49.95 a month!  People must be seriously into this game to pay that.
    Yes, especially if you're tired of the sheer number of shitbags playing MMOs these days.

Other people don't concern me .. i treat them as NPCs, or I play solo. 
    WTF, the DragonRealms Prime server costs $$$49.95 a month!  People must be seriously into this game to pay that.
    It's not required. The company offers a $50/mo. option (Platinum) for serious roleplayers. They also gate how many people can participate in that realm. It's designed with a pay wall to keep the population of the community in their Platinum tier small and they shut down new members when it grows too large. Its actually pretty awesome as everyone knows each other and they really take roleplaying to heart. Sadly, I (and many others) thought that's what all MMORPGs would be in the future, but it didn't turn out that way.