Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How's Aion these days? [Dec 2017]

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,720
Going through an old game revisiting period. I haven't played Aion much for a few years. I'm thinking about starting over on one of the fast track servers. What's a good class to take to max for a noob?


Comments

  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,446
    One of my go to mmos that I still play from time to time. 


    Aion is a very good game that I play when I want my classic trinity style. Population is good and the game has a lot of content. 

    What kind of class do you like to play?  Healer, Tank, Support or DPS?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member EpicPosts: 7,196
    Been awhile since I played.   Being an altoholic I found Spiritmaster, Chanter, and Ranger easiest to level in that order for me.
    d_20
    “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.”  ― Haruki Murakami
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,720
    edited December 2017
    Mikeha said:
    One of my go to mmos that I still play from time to time. 


    Aion is a very good game that I play when I want my classic trinity style. Population is good and the game has a lot of content. 

    What kind of class do you like to play?  Healer, Tank, Support or DPS?
    Probably a ranged class because of pvp. But I don't know much about it in Aion.

    I'm attracted to armored melee dps (usually easy to play) because those are kind of tanky. But I know there is pvp and often melee is not so good for that with unskilled players (me). So I think I might be better off with a ranged class.

    As a first class, I just would level up and not be concerned with group support. If I stay in the game, I would level alts for that, I guess.
    Post edited by d_20 on


  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,446
    edited December 2017
    If you want ranged for PVP then look at Ranger, Gunner, Sorcerer. Those are pure ranged DPS.

    You can also have a look at the Bard which is a ranged support and Spiritmaster which is a ranged summon pet class. 


    Post edited by Mikeha on
    d_20
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 8,446
    d_20 said:
    Mikeha said:
    One of my go to mmos that I still play from time to time. 


    Aion is a very good game that I play when I want my classic trinity style. Population is good and the game has a lot of content. 

    What kind of class do you like to play?  Healer, Tank, Support or DPS?
    Probably a ranged class because of pvp. But I don't know much about it in Aion.

    I'm attracted to armored melee dps (usually easy to play) because those are kind of tanky. But I know there is pvp and often melee is not so good for that with unskilled players (me). So I think I might be better off with a ranged class.

    As a first class, I just would level up and not be concerned with group support. If I stay in the game, I would level alts for that, I guess.



    If you play start your character on Tiamat server. That's where I am. ;)
    d_20
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,720
    Thanks for the responses!


  • doodler222doodler222 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    edited January 12
    d_20 said:
    Going through an old game revisiting period. I haven't played Aion much for a few years. I'm thinking about starting over on one of the fast track servers. What's a good class to take to max for a noob?
    The grind period is far less now. I can get a character to level 30 in a day and up to 50 in about 2 days.  You get gear as you move through the game up to about level 66 when you begin the Archdeava quest.   The grind comes in at 70=75, but if you do the Abyss quests and run the instances (solo and group) - and kill the bosses with a group in the last zone, you will be fine. 

    I've played AION since it came out. 

    My issue is how at 66 we are then locked into just one map, which is hard-core continual PvP.  Yes, there are other maps from your previous levels but we need this last map to do the most recent quests.  It gets boring running it and not everyone wants to run the instances.

    AION > stop doing group instances. Not all all of us want to run them. Please add more SOLO instances and more end game maps for us.  Be nice to have one PvE so we can catch a breath from the PvP.

    The one major overhaul in the game is the Abyss. Here you have some fantastic quests (repeatable) and may others out there doing the same.  Some PvP but in a large group, you'll be fine.

    Now AION has an incredible community.  My server, Kahun was peaceful, no drama. We did get a large merge which helped and the drama that ensued died down quickly.

    AION is not a game where anyone can be a known big fish - because this is not a small pond, it is a big pond with many many players.  So being popular, is not a thing here.

    Join a guild.  If 5=10 are on you get a 5% exp bonus. If 10+ are on, a 10% one.

    Good game mechanics, the only thing I don't like is the speed/flight hackers and AION, if given proof, tends to investigate and ban them. But you must have unedited proof.

    Forum is decent, not toxic - chat about the same.  Good players and again, easy to get geared up.

    Cash shop is not pay to win.  Pretty costumes, skins and pack pets (inventory space).



    Post edited by doodler222 on
    Mikeha
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 4,226
    I had a lot of fun when I played this game when they launched it in NA but the PvP drove me away.

  • DarkswormDarksworm Member UncommonPosts: 747
    edited January 29
    Group instances are fine.  The reason it's a problem is because the player base is much smaller.  It it had 1M active players in NA on a suitable number of servers, this would be a complete non-factor, as getting a group would be much easier.

    The issue with Aion is that it's a poor man's Final Fantasy XIV, except it looks and runs worse.

    FFXIV has the player base, and pretty much is Aion without the PvP nonsense, and you don't have to deal with NCSoft and their shenanigans.  It's the best of both worlds, as long as you're willing to pay for it.

    IMO, unless you're too poor to pay a subscription, you should just get FFXIV and play that - esepecially if you aren't playing it for the PvP (and I'd rather play Overwatch than PvP in any MMORPG, Lol).

    This game had the potential to pull in the same amount of subscribers here as FFXIV, but the PvP tends to make a lot of MMORPGs unattractive to a lot of people - especially when it's forced to a great extent.

    Also, the game tends to have bugs that go unresolved for several months at a time.  I was interested in Spiritmaster, cause I like pet classes, but the pets would go unresponsive or just "stop listening to you" randomly.  It was an awful play experience.
    Post edited by Darksworm on
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 246
    I don't play PUBG and complain afterwards that I have to kill other players... I guess Aion is just the wrong game for you.

    And, sorry, but "Aion is a poor man's Final Fantasy XIV"? XIV is about a boring and stale as it gets when it comes to MMOs.

  • DarkswormDarksworm Member UncommonPosts: 747
    Yet it is thriving more than ever?

    Stop guessing things, BTW.

    PUBG is not an MMORPG.  It's an Online FPS FFA Battle Arena.  No one plays PUBG unless they want to fight other players.  I don't play MMORPGs that force me to PvP.

    You're telling me it's the wrong game for me, as if I actually play the game and am complaining about it.  You don't have to guess anything.  I don't touch this game largely for the reasons that I've mentioned it.  I playled it shortly after release, left, and didn't look back.

    Have a nice day.
Sign In or Register to comment.