Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Monthly Development Reports

Comments

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Erillion said:
    blamo2000 said:
    This game...
    Compared to other genres (like MOBA, FPS shooters, real time strategy games) IMHO the space sim games were always a bit of a niche genre. But with a very dedicated following that often is willing to get quite high end hardware (HOTAS joystick combos, VR goggles, even hydraulic moving pilot chairs etc.) to enjoy these kinds of games.

From my experience at present SC has the largest community of the sim space games. Call of Duty does have a sim space game too, but the CoD community seems to intensively dislike it. EVE (which i play for 14 years now) may have the most fanatical community, but numbers are dwindling. All the other games you mentioned are fondly remembered, but not played by a lot of people anymore these days. 

Have fun

So, this game has a huge following.  Do you think it just got lucky and hit some sort of super hype sweet spot, or there was always this big of a community that for some reason stayed hidden all these decades?  Or, is this came bringing a fragmented sub-communities together by hitting all the check boxes?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited December 2017
    blamo2000 said:
    Erillion said:
    blamo2000 said:
    This game...
    Compared to other genres (like MOBA, FPS shooters, real time strategy games) IMHO the space sim games were always a bit of a niche genre. But with a very dedicated following that often is willing to get quite high end hardware (HOTAS joystick combos, VR goggles, even hydraulic moving pilot chairs etc.) to enjoy these kinds of games.

From my experience at present SC has the largest community of the sim space games. Call of Duty does have a sim space game too, but the CoD community seems to intensively dislike it. EVE (which i play for 14 years now) may have the most fanatical community, but numbers are dwindling. All the other games you mentioned are fondly remembered, but not played by a lot of people anymore these days. 

Have fun

So, this game has a huge following.  Do you think it just got lucky and hit some sort of super hype sweet spot, or there was always this big of a community that for some reason stayed hidden all these decades?  Or, is this came bringing a fragmented sub-communities together by hitting all the check boxes?
    The game's an open PvP space sim survival-esque game.  It's pretty much guaranteed to only be niche.

It's just that the vast majority of its followers haven't realized that yet (IE, that it's not the game for them), probably because the game doesn't actually exist yet.  Alternatively and possibly more likely the vast majority of its followers don't actually exist anymore, as it's easy to say "Oh, millions of people backed the game/registered for the forums!" but those millions probably doesn't contribute to that much if you consider how many of them might still care about the game NOW, years later.  Even the big funding is a poor factor to gauge number of fans when you consider the typical "Most games that sell big ticket items are held up by only a few whales" thing that tends to apply these days.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited December 2017
    blamo2000 said:

I think the Star Citizens community is build on several existing communities (Freelancer, Wing Commander, Star Wars Galaxies, Elite, EVE Online, X-Wing fans...etc. ) that have been waiting for more games of this kind in the last years. With only a limited amount of new games to keep them busy. I would not call them "hidden" - underserved may be a better word. So i think you are close with your assessment that Star Citizen brings together sub-communities.

It is also notable that quite a bit of the Star Citizen fans are in the 35+ age segment, having a higher spending capacity than the average gamer. Which helps towards the financial success of this crowdfunding campaign.

A mixture of media hype, a textbook example of marketing and some controversy adding some spice and generating a lot of extra coverage for free have kept Star Citizen on covers of gaming magazines and sites for years, further contributing to the success of the project.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." I am not sure if Seneca knew that his sentence would apply to video game projects, but it certainly fits IMHO. It was much more than just blind luck.

Have fun 
    WalkinGlennsayuu
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Erillion said:
    blamo2000 said:

I think the Star Citizens community is build on several existing communities (Freelancer, Wing Commander, Star Wars Galaxies, Elite, EVE Online, X-Wing fans...etc. ) that have been waiting for more games of this kind in the last years. With only a limited amount of new games to keep them busy. I would not call them "hidden" - underserved may be a better word. So i think you are close with your assessment that Star Citizen brings together sub-communities.

It is also notable that quite a bit of the Star Citizen fans are in the 35+ age segment, having a higher spending capacity than the average gamer. Which helps towards the financial success of this crowdfunding campaign.

A mixture of media hype, a textbook example of marketing and some controversy adding some spice and generating a lot of extra coverage for free have kept Star Citizen on covers of gaming magazines and sites for years, further contributing to the success of the project.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." I am not sure if Seneca knew that his sentence would apply to video game projects, but it certainly fits IMHO. It was much more than just blind luck.

Have fun 
    that "controversy spice" is what made my brother and I  pursue (and receive) our refunds.
    sayuu said:
    that "controversy spice" is what made my brother and I  pursue (and receive) our refunds.
    And brought another +1000 gamers per day on average to Star Citizen for the last 5 years.

Have fun

bwwianakiev
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Erillion said:
    sayuu said:
    And brought another +1000 gamers per day on average to Star Citizen for the last 5 years.

Have fun

ok. . . .?

good for your cult I guess???
    bwwianakiev
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Are people still falling for this?  Before you doubt me, please please please check my record.  I simply state things I see.  No bias.  I love games.  Most.  (Don't have enough time to play many, but I like following them.)  But, this...
    I can personally state that "I know a guy."  I'm sure many on this website do, as it seems to be a well researched and connected site.  The entire thing is a sham.  It's offering the sun and going to give a candle.  Not only that, but the lead developers have a track record of nothing but shadiness; real shadiness, not pseudo: (was going to list them, like hookers, but I just can't.  It's all there for anyone that cares to listen to people who, in the past, have worked with them.)  
    I cannot believe that the intelligent people of this site still are falling for this.  I can't.  The people on this site know argument: ethos, pathos, logos, rhetoric, fallacies, etc.  Yet...
    Sorry for the rant, but it's just hard to understand.

ScotchUp
    Are people still falling for this?  Before you doubt me, please please please check my record.  I simply state things I see.  No bias.  I love games.  Most.  (Don't have enough time to play many, but I like following them.)  But, this...
    I can personally state that "I know a guy."  I'm sure many on this website do, as it seems to be a well researched and connected site.  The entire thing is a sham.  It's offering the sun and going to give a candle.  Not only that, but the lead developers have a track record of nothing but shadiness; real shadiness, not pseudo: (was going to list them, like hookers, but I just can't.  It's all there for anyone that cares to listen to people who, in the past, have worked with them.)  
    I cannot believe that the intelligent people of this site still are falling for this.  I can't.  The people on this site know argument: ethos, pathos, logos, rhetoric, fallacies, etc.  Yet...

You "know a guy".

and

You say that the lead developers "have a track record of nothing but shadiness" - but won't list them (just hinting at hookers etc.)

and

You say that we should "listen to people" ... but you won't mention the names of these people.

Okaaayyyy ....

*** smiles and sloooowly backs away ***

Have fun
    bwwianakiev
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    Space fans like space games? Say it ain't so.... :)

It's not that Star Citizen brings together sub-communities, it's that space games brings together space fans, I see it in Elite all the time where you have people from EVE, X games, Star Citizen, WC, SWG and so on and I'm sure it's the same for all other groups.

Erillion said: 
    I disagree. If there was preparation they would not have been making core design changes years into the development of the project. They also wouldn't have had a lamp stood by itself on livestream for 2 hours. They wouldn't be an hour+ late with every livestream or convention etc. Preparation is not part of CIG's forte.

Erillion said:
    1000+ accounts but only 300 choosing to spend any money... which is not bad by any measure but let's not imply it is something more than it is.

which is not bad by any measure but let's not imply it is something more than it is.

You mean - something more than world record in crowdfunding (any genre) ?

Have fun
    rpmcmurphy
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Crowdfunding and presales are two different things.
    Crowdfunding and presales are two different things.
    Guiness Book of Records calls it crowdfunding ;-) 

So much for THAT old redundant discussion...

Have fun
    kikoodutroa8
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
     which is not bad by any measure but let's not imply it is something more than it is.

You mean - something more than world record in crowdfunding (any genre) ?

Have fun
    Erillion Wormtongue, for some strange reason you're at it again.

Having an average of 350+ new paid backers every day is great, that's 10,000 additional paying backers a month, 120,000 additional paying backers per year for a project that is in pre-alpha. No one can ever say that is a bad thing. Yes they're in the GBOR but so what, there's loads of useless crap in the GBOR.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Less than 7 months until SQ42 is released. Can't wait!

..Cake..

edited December 2017
     Wormtongue,
    Grima "Wormtongue",son of Galmod, was a liar and a traitor many times over.

Care to explain the comparison ?

Have fun

PS:

Fun fact ... the War of the Ring would have been lost without Grima.

When Grima threw down the palantir from Orthanc, it caused Sauron to become aware that there was a hobbit with Aragorn. Sauron assumed it was the ringbearer and assumed that Aragorn was now in possession of the ring. Sauron put his focus on Aragorn and  attacked Minas Tirith. With Saurons attention focussed elsewhere, it made possible for Frodo and Sam to infiltrate Mordor and end the reign of Sauron forever.

Without Grima the palantir would still be in the hands of Saruman, the unseeing eye would have been ever vigilant and the Ringbearer would have met an  grisly end on the plains of Mordor.

Another fun fact:

In one of the early Tolkien drafts, it was Grima and not Gollum that was captured and tortured to reveal the information about the Shire to the Nazgul. Saruman had ongoing tobacco delivery contracts with Bree and the Shire (Southfarthing).

Post edited by Erillion on
    bwwianakiev
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Guys when do we get private servers as promised? I can't wait to fly and mod all these expensive ships.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Guys when do we get private servers as promised? I can't wait to fly and mod all these expensive ships.
    Two weeks or it's already in the game.
    Just choose whatever suits you.

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2017
    blamo2000 said:
    Do you think it just got lucky and hit some sort of super hype sweet spot, or there was always this big of a community that for some reason stayed hidden all these decades?  Or, is this came bringing a fragmented sub-communities together by hitting all the check boxes?
    What sure was a huge driver, from Wing Commander to Freelancer to Star Wars Galaxies, the original support came from there due people always wanting to play a game like this, especially when you consider games like SWG and Freelancer are officially dead.

I cannot believe that the intelligent people of this site still are falling for this.  I can't.  
    That's because you felt for misinformation and are "stating as it is" based on such.

Obviously then, you bring up arguments like hookers, it clearly tells who is the guy you know. hehehe
  • chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    The most important part of the newsletter for me was
    • Pete “Weekly Weather Wizard” Mackay has been developing a tool called the “Thruster Calculator” that, you guessed it, calculates thrust for our ships. It’s a very robust tool that should help us greatly in the long run when trying to balance our ships.

I hope this works and gets implemented asap.

wot hes doing that now LOL

ts like from what i view as a person whom designs code that about 1 year or so ago they decided they better make you all some bits of a game....and try to do what they said
    Babuinix said:
    Next Landing spot: Levsky

this looks like an asset flip or something i just waked across in a game that is free to play called warframe lil different but very similar and de used to do a lot a work for others...makes me wonder...and thus nothing special
    blamo2000 said:
    This game makes me wonder why this specific space sim type of game was such a hit when there really aren't tons of these games.  This also makes me wonder if the other space sim MMOs have bigger communities than I think (other than EVE that people mention pretty often, but I'm talking about Vendetta, etc).

Is this a niche genre that just hit on some sort of super hype money train, or is it a majorly popular genre that just isn't exploited by tons of releases for some reason or another?  The only single player major space sim type of game besides that recent big one I can think of was Freelancer and before that the X-Fighter games.  I played Freelancer and Privateer and the privateer type games like Space Wolves and Starpoint Gemini, but its popularity as a genre never led me to believe it was a major blockbuster material, or even that popular at all.
    let me jump on this....when first announced all the claims chris made about what he wanted to do WHERE NOT FEASIBLE WITH CRY ENGINE ...and you could go get a copy of that fully functional engine freely as they were allowing anyone to get use and code freely as long as you stayed under 100 users.....this gives dev teams back then ability to really toy....

the rub here is that over time in various other games you begin to see the tech he needs or wants slowly come in and from others. i could point out a dozen sci fi games and others....

none has them all and that's gonna make this such a beast to run that ONLY the rich stuck up loot box loving whales we all have been talking about that ruin gaming will be able to play...

Now if i am wrong after you get "donations of nearly 200 million" to make your game sell more land and make what 8-10 mill more and prolly can make tens of millions more yet via this ....the game should be 100% free and have enough to pay for servers that run for 50000 years with a paid update crew to make it updated for ever....

remember warframe .....imagine if chrs roberts had of approached de and asked them for the ground based tech for there game and such .....yea might a been a lil pricier but DE is and has shown they can make great combat systems and such and you'd a not wasted half your time...

that's how i'd have done things and ya know i bet DE would ahve loved to have done it knowing that it helps there lil game which isnt the same as his end game.

IT would have shown chris was more serious to get it going with a serious bunch rather then having to start from nothing to where it really does look like they just started making this game this year....and you can look at the video of rise of pantheon on how they made the city to see what i am talking about....just think adding space , ships and HD textures...and a much larger team doing it all....

Tiamat64 said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Erillion said:
    blamo2000 said:
    This game...

Have fun

The game's an open PvP space sim survival-esque game.  It's pretty much guaranteed to only be niche.

It's just that the vast majority of its followers haven't realized that yet (IE, that it's not the game for them), probably because the game doesn't actually exist yet.  Alternatively and possibly more likely the vast majority of its followers don't actually exist anymore, as it's easy to say "Oh, millions of people backed the game/registered for the forums!" but those millions probably doesn't contribute to that much if you consider how many of them might still care about the game NOW, years later.  Even the big funding is a poor factor to gauge number of fans when you consider the typical "Most games that sell big ticket items are held up by only a few whales" thing that tends to apply these days.
    you also forget a ton of s are not upgrading graphic cards like we used ot cause a majority of games can be played with them for entertanment and only more rich whaley types and such can and will be able to play this at levels its meant to ....everyone else will get a degraded experience and if erillion you want proof id be happy to have my gt620 nvidia try ths game and stream it

it will look like crap if i can even play it
    you also forget a ton of s are not upgrading graphic cards like we used ot cause a majority of games can be played with them for entertanment and only more rich whaley types and such can and will be able to play this at levels its meant to ....everyone else will get a degraded experience and if erillion you want proof id be happy to have my gt620 nvidia try ths game and stream it

it will look like crap if i can even play it
    Ahhh .. traditions ... whenever Chris Roberts launched a new game, i needed a new computer to play it. This wont be any different ;-)

Computer technology progresses - something that once was almost unachievable becomes the norm.

Once the game has launched, feel free to stream it @chronoss2015

Have fun

PS:
    AMD cards are usually better for Star Citizen than most older NVIDIA Geforce cards ... only the newer GeForce have comparable Floating Point Double Precision performance.

xNIAx1 said:
    Star Citizen = Fraud
    Care to elaborate ?

Must be the most unsuccessful fraud ever .... 5 studios, a few hundred employees, years of work and wages paid ....

Must be an elaborate scam then ... they develop a game to be able to NOT develop a game and run away with all (most ?, some ?, a tiny bit of ?) the money.

Have fun
    bwwianakiev
    After the game has launched and runs stable.

It is one of the last items on their to do list.

As Disco Lando so aptly said :  FIRST they have to develop a game BEFORE they run it on private servers.

Have fun