Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large-Scale Raid Test Features Hundreds of Character Clones - Ship of Heroes - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageLarge-Scale Raid Test Features Hundreds of Character Clones - Ship of Heroes - MMORPG.com

Ship of Heroes News - The Ship of Heroes team has sent out a new video to show off some of the internal large-scale raid testing with 100, 200 and 300 character clones all hanging out in a single environment. Apotheosis City raids will allow for up to 50 players, though more are possible.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited November 2017
    Two thumbs up!
    wingoodwaynejr2

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I feel like I've seen these types of simulated dev tests before in many other MMOs in development, that promise large scale combat, but later, when actually playing, the lag and fps is unbearable.

If they can pull it off, then that's great, but until then I'm skeptical.
    Blaze_Rocker[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    --------------------------------------------
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    the test is still going, 2 billion clonezzzzzz and sharks with freaking lazor beams
    Blaze_Rocker
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Not enough other crap going on like effects for mobs as well as players plus other types of effects for different classes they may have. Looks promising though. Would also like to know what kind of rig it was ran on, ie CPU, GPU, RAM.
    [Deleted User]
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097

Jamar870 said:

Not enough other crap going on like effects for mobs as well as players plus other types of effects for different classes they may have. Looks promising though. Would also like to know what kind of rig it was ran on, ie CPU, GPU, RAM.

They used a gaming desktop with a GTX980 video card. I would imagine it is an i7 6600 with 16GB of RAM and an SSD, as that was the typical gamer machine that used a GTX980 two years ago.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    How big are the raids? I always wished raiding would be like one disorganized mega battle spread out over a large area instead of some small groups acting in cohort and in a highly organized fashion where you spend more time waiting than doing. I think that's good for groups and some smaller raids, but all raids just being bigger group content just seems to lose the meaning of raid.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    The dev team wants raids of at least 200, like the big raids they had in CoH for the Rikti Crash Site and earlier Hamidon raids in City of Heroes, but they are a ways away from big (long battles with a hundred + enemies on screen) tests like that.  They want to keep improving the net code until they can run some invasion style raids in alpha.  But yeah, big OMGWTFBBQ raids are really high on their to-do list!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    MMMMMMM, it sounds like what blamo2000 wants is how we approached Hamidon during the early days! Disorganized messes with super lag. ("no auras, no capes! no auras, no capes! plz listen ppl!")
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    GladDog said:
    The dev team wants raids of at least 200, like the big raids they had in CoH for the Rikti Crash Site and earlier Hamidon raids in City of Heroes, but they are a ways away from big (long battles with a hundred + enemies on screen) tests like that.  They want to keep improving the net code until they can run some invasion style raids in alpha.  But yeah, big OMGWTFBBQ raids are really high on their to-do list!
    Samhael said:
    MMMMMMM, it sounds like what blamo2000 wants is how we approached Hamidon during the early days! Disorganized messes with super lag. ("no auras, no capes! no auras, no capes! plz listen ppl!")

Thanks for the information. 
  • lunawisplunawisp Member UncommonPosts: 184
    It's early days yet, SoH is still pre-alpha. I think what they've done so far looks pretty impressive. I really want this one to succeed, the combination of superhero and sci-fi ticks two of my main boxes :)
    lunawisp was my peacebringer in City of Heroes. She lives on, in memory, as my gaming id
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    These public announced tests are just for PR. The game won't run with hundreds of players once you introduce an actual game engine that needs to calculate thousands of additional processes.
    Blaze_Rocker