Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Monthly Development Reports

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >> They also looked into train stations and monorails for our flagship landing zones, >>>

This has caught my attention.

FLAGSHIP landing zone ? :-D    

Will Admiral Bishop land his dreadnaught somewhere interesting ?

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Erillion said:
    >> They also looked into train stations and monorails for our flagship landing zones, >>>

This has caught my attention.

FLAGSHIP landing zone ? :-D    

Will Admiral Bishop land his dreadnaught somewhere interesting ?

Have fun
    I think that context is just the main landing zones like Arccorp and Hurston.

Hustorn has some rails stuff through the landing zone and it'd be proper cool if they were functional, seems that's the plan :D
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Monthly report with more mentions of SQ42 now, work switching focus to it with 3.0 finally wrapping up.

Will be interesting to finally see the gameplay loop of the SP campaign, been quite a while
    Isn't this the third time they have switched focus to SQ42 now? Seems whenever it's time for a big fundraising push it's time to hype the game that's so secret you haven't seen shit of it in years!
    Octagon7711ScotchUpMaxBacon
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    When is mining to be implemented?
    kikoodutroa8

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited December 2017
    Kefo said:
    Isn't this the third time they have switched focus to SQ42 now? Seems whenever it's time for a big fundraising push it's time to hype the game that's so secret you haven't seen shit of it in years!
    "The DE lighting team focused on finishing our remaining 3.0 lighting tasks, which involved more polish and performance items in Levski. In addition to other general 3.0 bugs, they supported the shop team to help differentiate lighting in shops based on the location. A large amount of focus will now shift to various areas for Squadron 42."

^^ Examples like that, resources being freed after finishing up 3.0 work can move focus to other things.
    Is meant as one of the next ones. 

But as they are going to completely change the production reports to be no longer feature-driven yet date-driven, we'll have to wait for the 3.0 release to check it out.
    At the moment a basic mining functionality is planned for 3.1 (which should be end 1Q. 2018). If it does not properly work by then, it shifts to 3.2

Most likely it will be the smaller mining ship MISC Prospector that is used first.

Have fun
    Kefo said:
    Journalists visiting Foundry 42 UK (e.g. Game Star magazine) have seen quite a bit of SQ42, but are under confidentiality agreements about releasing the information too soon (Presse-Sperrfrist = news embargo until a certain date ?). They report that a lot of work is going on and the parts they have seen are looking very good, but are not completed yet - that was in late summer 2017.

Have fun
    kikoodutroa8ScotchUp
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    "The DE lighting team focused on finishing our remaining 3.0 lighting tasks, which involved more polish and performance items in Levski. In addition to other general 3.0 bugs, they supported the shop team to help differentiate lighting in shops based on the location. A large amount of focus will now shift to various areas for Squadron 42."

^^ Examples like that, resources being freed after finishing up 3.0 work can move focus to other things.
    Ok? 

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Journalists visiting Foundry 42 UK (e.g. Game Star magazine) have seen quite a bit of SQ42, but are under confidentiality agreements about releasing the information too soon (Presse-Sperrfrist = news embargo until a certain date ?). They report that a lot of work is going on and the parts they have seen are looking very good, but are not completed yet - that was in late summer 2017.

Have fun
    So you're just confirming what I said that the game is so secret we haven't seen anything of it in years.

For the most open development ever it sure seems to be pretty closed off in terms of info for a game that backers paid for. 

But why tell your backers how the game many are waiting for is coming along when you can have your favourite shill magazine spout praises about it while offering nothing to back up their claims?
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2017
    Kefo said:

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun

For the most open development ever it sure seems to be pretty closed off in terms of info for a game that backers paid for. ....
    my brain is hurting

ok so which open development team is more transparent?
     'The most' (your words) and 'more closed then it should be' (your suggestion) just needs some relational context here 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Kefo said:
    Ok? 
    Pretty straight forward now isn't it?

It's no global thing cause both games are developed at the same time, just devs and teams change focus as they have their own schedules.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kefo said:

Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Have fun

For the most open development ever it sure seems to be pretty closed off in terms of info for a game that backers paid for. ....
    my brain is hurting

ok so which open development team is more transparent?
     'The most' (your words) and 'more closed then it should be' (your suggestion) just needs some relational context here 
    Crowfall

edited December 2017
    Vrika said:
    Crowfall
    Do they have a story-mode that they showcase in-depth like the mechanics of the game and so?

It's always the same silly argument, SC and SQ42 are the same mechanics and gameplay, SQ42 only adds up the story and narrative, with the cinematics and so to that, and that's exactly what they reasonably so, don't want to show.

Because technically, SC dev updates also are SQ42 updates.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    Crowfall
    Do they have a story-mode that they showcase in-depth like the mechanics of the game and so?

It's always the same silly argument, SC and SQ42 are the same mechanics and gameplay, SQ42 only adds up the story and narrative, with the cinematics and so to that, and that's exactly what they reasonably so, don't want to show.

Because technically, SC dev updates also are SQ42 updates.
    You heard it first here folks. SC is in fact SQ42 and what you are playing now is actually the SQ42 gameplay
    Kefo said:
    You heard it first here folks. SC is in fact SQ42 and what you are playing now is actually the SQ42 gameplay
    You haven't heard it here first.

The mechanics SC uses are the mechanics SQ42 uses, the FPS, the Space Sim aspect, AI, assets, etc... What's unique to SQ42 is more related to the cinematics, environments/levels, and the whole story narrative.
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
     They report that a lot of work is going on and the parts they have seen are looking very good, but are not completed yet - that was in late summer 2017.

Have fun
    They just gave a report on 3.0

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited December 2017
    I must have been asleep when those journalists talked to the world about the story of SQ42 and showed mocap scenes that reveal part of the story. When they interviewed the actors and asked them about their roles in the story ...

oh wait ....

that did not happen yet. Because ....  news embargo until a certain date  ....

And @Kefo
    >>>> So you're just confirming what I said that the game is so secret we haven't seen anything of it in years. >>>

Here are two scenes from the game you call "so secret":

And it must have escaped your attention that the upcoming CIG holiday stream is a dedicated Squadron 42 report event.

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
    Erillion said:
    I must have been asleep when those journalists talked to the world about the story of SQ42 and showed mocap scenes that reveal part of the story. When they interviewed the actors and asked them about their roles in the story ...

oh wait ....

that did not happen yet. Because ....  news embargo until a certain date  ....

And @Kefo
    >>>> So you're just confirming what I said that the game is so secret we haven't seen anything of it in years. >>>

Here are two scenes from the game you call "so secret":

And it must have escaped your attention that the upcoming CIG holiday stream is a dedicated Squadron 42 report event.

Have fun

So let me get this straight. In order to prove me wrong you link videos that are over 2 years old as proof? I'm not sure you understand this whole prove me wrong thing cause you just proved my point that there hasn't been shit about SQ42 in years.

And no it hasn't escaped my attention that the upcoming holiday stream is dedicated to SQ42 but unless you're from the future and have footage to show gameplay and can link it here now then I guess my point still stands and you've wasted your time.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This game makes me wonder why this specific space sim type of game was such a hit when there really aren't tons of these games.  This also makes me wonder if the other space sim MMOs have bigger communities than I think (other than EVE that people mention pretty often, but I'm talking about Vendetta, etc).

Is this a niche genre that just hit on some sort of super hype money train, or is it a majorly popular genre that just isn't exploited by tons of releases for some reason or another?  The only single player major space sim type of game besides that recent big one I can think of was Freelancer and before that the X-Fighter games.  I played Freelancer and Privateer and the privateer type games like Space Wolves and Starpoint Gemini, but its popularity as a genre never led me to believe it was a major blockbuster material, or even that popular at all.
    Kefo said:

And no it hasn't escaped my attention that the upcoming holiday stream is dedicated to SQ42 but unless you're from the future and have footage to show gameplay and can link it here now then I guess my point still stands and you've wasted your time.

Nope ... i just think you are getting a bit desperate - with Star Citizen now getting regular updates and all - and try to inject some venom while you still can, a few days before time will make your remarks ("Oh, they never show something about Squadron 42!!1!") obsolete.

Have fun

blamo2000 said:
    This game makes me wonder why this specific space sim type of game was such a hit when there really aren't tons of these games.  This also makes me wonder if the other space sim MMOs have bigger communities than I think (other than EVE that people mention pretty often, but I'm talking about Vendetta, etc).

Is this a niche genre that just hit on some sort of super hype money train, or is it a majorly popular genre that just isn't exploited by tons of releases for some reason or another?  The only single player major space sim type of game besides that recent big one I can think of was Freelancer and before that the X-Fighter games.  I played Freelancer and Privateer and the privateer type games like Space Wolves and Starpoint Gemini, but its popularity as a genre never led me to believe it was a major blockbuster material, or even that popular at all.
    Compared to other genres (like MOBA, FPS shooters, real time strategy games) IMHO the space sim games were always a bit of a niche genre. But with a very dedicated following that often is willing to get quite high end hardware (HOTAS joystick combos, VR goggles, even hydraulic moving pilot chairs etc.) to enjoy these kinds of games.

From my experience at present SC has the largest community of the sim space games. Call of Duty does have a sim space game too, but the CoD community seems to intensively dislike it. EVE (which i play for 14 years now) may have the most fanatical community, but numbers are dwindling. All the other games you mentioned are fondly remembered, but not played by a lot of people anymore these days. 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:

Nope ... i just think you are getting a bit desperate - with Star Citizen now getting regular updates and all - and try to inject some venom while you still can, a few days before time will make your remarks ("Oh, they never show something about Squadron 42!!1!") obsolete.

Have fun

I'm not the one linking 2 year old videos to try and prove someone wrong when they say we haven't seen anything about SQ42 in years or using a event that hasn't happened yet. I think the desperation is all on your side.

and yeah if they show actual gameplay at the livestream then I won't be making that comment anymore. It's amazing how much venom you have for someone pointing out the obvious though.
    WalkinGlennScotchUp
    Good overview on current status SC & S42.

I can see why they want to go back to incremental updates.  Major mixed updates from the different studios create a lot more problems then adding minor updates which make bugs and problems easier to track down.  They still tend to push back problem fixes to future updates whenever possible.