Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The History of Gaming - 1972 to Present All in a Single Graphic - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe History of Gaming - 1972 to Present All in a Single Graphic - MMORPG.com News

Our friends at HistoryDegree.net have compiled some wicked historical statistics in honor of the 45th anniversary of Atari's Pong. Simply titled "The History of Gaming", the graphic reveals some astonishing numbers including 27M Atari 2600 units were sold thanks to the inclusion of Asteroids. Pack-Man generated $2M for Nintendo and changed gaming forever. And how 'bout this one: The average gamer today is 35.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• firelogicfirelogic Member UncommonPosts: 7
    World of warcraft was released in 2004, not in 2008...
    GorweMyrdynnCyber_wastelandJimbobaus
  • vespar555vespar555 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Do you believe everything on the internet?
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Cool Infographic
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I have the same vibe I always get when reading about "the great" videogame crash - it misses the location...
    A title of The History of Gaming - in the States would've been more precise :smiley:  Not a single word on the pic about ZX, about the Commodores, but it is full of Nintendo and consoles.

Don't get me wrong, never heard about this historydegree, maybe it's local and that's why there was no need to add that. But mmorpg.com is a pretty global site, and the gaming history (especially the '80s - early '90s part) was pretty different here :wink:
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

firelogic said:

oops!
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Terrible timeline. No mention of the video game crash of 1983, Sega Dreamcast, Intellivision / Colecovision, Commodore 64, etc. Also, the first home console was the Magnavox Odyssey, not the Atari 2600.

Whoever put this together clearly didn't do much research. The fact that he / she got some pretty basic historical facts wrong also doesn't help the credibility of a site catering to people with history degrees.
    SiphaedMyrdynn

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    edited November 2017

Terrible timeline. No mention of the video game crash of 1983, Sega Dreamcast, Intellivision / Colecovision, Commodore 64, etc. Also, the first home console was the Magnavox Odyssey, not the Atari 2600.

Whoever put this together clearly didn't do much research. The fact that he / she got some pretty basic historical facts wrong also doesn't help the credibility of a site catering to people with history degrees.

All of the 'units sold' data needs to reflect that those are units from the date of launch to current present day. As in, many of those game consoles had week 1 or 2 year sales and only were bolstered by later software that promoted the sales of those systems.

It is also heavily neglecting major PC launches such as Unreal Tournament and Ultima Online (3 years prior to Everquest Online --~although credit due that EQ was the first 3D immersive MMORPG while UO was just an isometric top-down MMORPG with a more 2D style).

Oh ya and Half-Life launched years prior to Halo. Although Halo was mainstream console vs. Half-Life being a PC centrist game. Speaking of, where's the launch of Steam? Oh, not on there? Sept 12, 2003. In 2015 the platform only did $2.947 BILLION in sales..... Edit: Seems they did mention Steam. However, as a small blur compared to the massive focus on consoles.
    Post edited by Siphaed on

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Steam is on there under 2003.
    --------------------------------------------
  • ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Wow I have a better time line of gaming history through my memories this thing
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    And Gamers were not introduced to Everquest in the MMO era, it was Meridian 59 in 1996.
    WoW released in 2004.
    Terrible List.

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2017
    LOL @ everyone being such serious critics of a goofy graphic.

Yep, somewhere on the internet someone is wrong, time to light the torches and heat up the tar.

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Avanah said:

And Gamers were not introduced to Everquest in the MMO era, it was Meridian 59 in 1996.

WoW released in 2004.

Terrible List.

there were plenty before M59 too.

Neverwinter Nights, and Shadows of Yserbius. Also The Realm predated M59
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Ahh Nostalgia, I am 64 so I have been there from the beginning, I will never forget when my brother came home with Pong, we were in awe, I said "nothing will top this" When I was 23, 1976 my friend who worked at Combustion Engineering invited me over and we had a blast on CE's giant computer playing this very simple star trek game against someone who was in Boston (we were in Windsor Ct. ) things have changed dramatically LOL
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    LOL @ everyone being such serious critics of a goofy graphic.

Yep, somewhere on the internet someone is wrong, time to light the torches and heat up the tar.

This ain't your middle school art project bullshit we're talking bout here, this is an internet-shared infographic, we're playing for keeps!
    Kyleran

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    i really hope mobile gaming isnt the future :(
    Kyleran
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    firelogic said:
    Yeah, but it wasn't any good before 2008 <_< >_>
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Maybe mmorpg.com should start a thread that folks can contribute to - year by year, cut and paste maybe or periodic reposting.

And then post or forward - whatever. Would probably have an international feel to it as well.
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Wow I guess I am old.

Mudds, came out when the net was born before pics or sound. You could only get to one from a university main frame before pces etc.

• xMorbidAngeLxMorbidAngeL Member UncommonPosts: 17
    good old days now that i am 41 my first game comp was the C64 what a machine

later the sega master system and megadrive til i try my very first rpg phantasy star 4

and omg i was in love with rpg games and in that time on the playstation 1 i have buy all rpg games

and suikoden 2 was my favorite and yes in my few beter then final fantasy 7

and now 2017 am hooked to skyrim SE
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Siphaed said:

All of the 'units sold' data needs to reflect that those are units from the date of launch to current present day. As in, many of those game consoles had week 1 or 2 year sales and only were bolstered by later software that promoted the sales of those systems.

It is also heavily neglecting major PC launches such as Unreal Tournament and Ultima Online (3 years prior to Everquest Online --~although credit due that EQ was the first 3D immersive MMORPG while UO was just an isometric top-down MMORPG with a more 2D style).

Oh ya and Half-Life launched years prior to Halo. Although Halo was mainstream console vs. Half-Life being a PC centrist game. Speaking of, where's the launch of Steam? Oh, not on there? Sept 12, 2003. In 2015 the platform only did $2.947 BILLION in sales..... Edit: Seems they did mention Steam. However, as a small blur compared to the massive focus on consoles.
    The Commodore 64 was incredible popular for it's time and not just for the late period when it was at sale. It at least should deserve a mentioning since it did impact the way people game rather much and it pioneered more then a few kinds of games. Just the number of games made for it should tell you that it was important (particularly all the exclusive games).

Most of my friends owned one at the time as well as myself.  :)
    [Deleted User]
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    edited November 2017

Myrdynn said:

Avanah said:

WoW released in 2004.

Terrible List.

there were plenty before M59 too.

Neverwinter Nights, and Shadows of Yserbius. Also The Realm predated M59

I'm old too. Some of my first all night gaming sessions were Neverwinter Nights on AOL.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Strange that neither Wolfenstein 3D nor Doom is mentioned.