Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games w/ Unrestricted Open World PVP?

2»

Comments

• sm1lysm1ly Member CommonPosts: 2
    Rhoklaw said:
    Are there any games with unrestricted open world PVP?

When I say 'unrestricted', I mean no built-in game mechanics like penalties, karma, or criminal/murderer flags. Just open world PVP where you can kill or be killed, and that's just the way it is. 

You can always play an FPS or some of the survival games like Rust or DayZ. As for an MMO, no. They all have some sort of safety net, whether its newbie cities with guards, flag system, level restrictions, PvP zones or what have you.
    bump here.
    so remember lineage2? where you get karma and red nickname and everybody ganking you and all chat crying PKPKPK HERE!!!
    thats what the topic starter wants. mee too. so it means you can kill guards too (if you got highlvl).
    I try to play blade n soul yesterday, but it dead, nobody uses fraction system for free pvp.
    I know only one mmo game now - its albion, but its a game for mobile phone or tablet...

so bump.
    any ideas about such free pvp game?

PS: i know also mortal online, but it so bugged, dont want to play it more.
    PPS: and yes, archage most fun game looks like this, but I played on RU server and localisators kill it with donat. dont want to start again on euro... 
    and bdo got flag system (but i dont remember about drop).
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Screeps beats out most games, and is fair for all parties. 

Characters logged in 24/7
    Defenders actually have good advantages
    Attacking taking actual skill

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    sm1ly said:
    Rhoklaw said:

When I say 'unrestricted', I mean no built-in game mechanics like penalties, karma, or criminal/murderer flags. Just open world PVP where you can kill or be killed, and that's just the way it is. 

You can always play an FPS or some of the survival games like Rust or DayZ. As for an MMO, no. They all have some sort of safety net, whether its newbie cities with guards, flag system, level restrictions, PvP zones or what have you.
    bump here.
    so remember lineage2? where you get karma and red nickname and everybody ganking you and all chat crying PKPKPK HERE!!!
    thats what the topic starter wants. mee too. so it means you can kill guards too (if you got highlvl).
    I try to play blade n soul yesterday, but it dead, nobody uses fraction system for free pvp.
    I know only one mmo game now - its albion, but its a game for mobile phone or tablet...

so bump.

PPS: and yes, archage most fun game looks like this, but I played on RU server and localisators kill it with donat. dont want to start again on euro... 
    darkfall is your thing m8.. if you have  patience on learning how to fight
    The only real reason why there's no PvP MMORPG without any consequences for killing is that the model has been proven over and over again to NOT work in a MMO.
    Try one of the many survival games and you'll get what you want.
    @Jean-Luc_Picard

I'm looking forward to a fantasy game that actually implements this.   A large part of crime stories is writing about the social ramifications of being a criminal.   In the MMO world this quickly comes down to not having access to banks, losing access to quest NPCs, trainers, and similar.

I want constant questers to call in favors from NPCs, or those NPCs to care enough to want to know where their task minions went.  Or if you need a story reason the world needs to know why a someone with a noble title, liked by the common folk, that has played pivotal roles in national security has disappeared.

I want crafters that get looted of their works,  to get people who try to sell/trade away those works to end up being forced through "questioning" as a merchant recognizes the work.  (along with that item being taken away by the legal system for being stolen, and anyone you bought it from being questioned further down the chain).

I want people who have specialized in magic, especially curses.  to be able to actually curse items if they "unwillingly" leave their possession.  Meaning that someone that is constantly looting in combat will find themselves with wasted inventory space of items they can't get rid of, with stats reduced, and similar actions that when stacked cause a character to end up useless.   Forcing expensive purification rituals and quests.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    anemo said:
    The only real reason why there's no PvP MMORPG without any consequences for killing is that the model has been proven over and over again to NOT work in a MMO.
    @Jean-Luc_Picard

I'm looking forward to a fantasy game that actually implements this.   A large part of crime stories is writing about the social ramifications of being a criminal.   In the MMO world this quickly comes down to not having access to banks, losing access to quest NPCs, trainers, and similar.

I want constant questers to call in favors from NPCs, or those NPCs to care enough to want to know where their task minions went.  Or if you need a story reason the world needs to know why a someone with a noble title, liked by the common folk, that has played pivotal roles in national security has disappeared.

I want crafters that get looted of their works,  to get people who try to sell/trade away those works to end up being forced through "questioning" as a merchant recognizes the work.  (along with that item being taken away by the legal system for being stolen, and anyone you bought it from being questioned further down the chain).

I want people who have specialized in magic, especially curses.  to be able to actually curse items if they "unwillingly" leave their possession.  Meaning that someone that is constantly looting in combat will find themselves with wasted inventory space of items they can't get rid of, with stats reduced, and similar actions that when stacked cause a character to end up useless.   Forcing expensive purification rituals and quests.
    Sadly, what you want has ALWAYS ended in a gankfest. Always.
    No game based on those principles will succeed, some things are by their very nature, doomed to failure, there is a very good reason after all why PVP in MMO's is structured in such a way that you cannot do so without some hefty consequences if you engage in it outside of mutually agreeable conditions from the person attacking, to the person being attacked etc. This is either in terms of the PVP taking place in a Battleground or Arena, or being flagged as such in an open world MMO.
    Mendel
  • cochscochs Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I've been wondering if some kind of energy based system for being able to just try to kill anyone would work.  Design it from the ground up so it's interesting when only being able to target a random player say once a day.  Or you get 5 minutes a day something like that.  That ends the constant gank playstyle.   

It would be in addition to the core pvp,  where for the most part you get to pick when you can/cannot be attacked.

I think you just have to have a design that actually sets numbers on how many times you can try to kill an innocent.   Most attempts at this use a scaled reward/punishment system, but the ways those always end up working is you can't avoid having some small percentage that can just gank non stop.  You need to be more specific in the design and have arbitrary limits.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    skadad said:
    ganking is not pvp. And ganking is what most "HARDCORE-PVP:ers" really are/want ^^
    Most people feel ganking is getting openly attacked against your will in a game by either a horde of players or someone significantly higher and more experienced than you, hence why ganking and pvp are considered synonyms.   When a game includes this type of model, time and time and time and time again, there has become the largest complaint it has received.  There are numerous threads and other sites which discuss this in greater detail.
    psychosiz1HuntrezzCopperfield
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Phry said:
    Planetside 2.. its war 24/7, its about as open world pvp as you can probably get.

You can't kill your own faction - so not so open.

Fully open = can kill everyone including your own group members, your guildmates = all

Right now - PUBG is it
    You can kill your own faction in Planetside 2, but if you do it too often then your weapons are locked down for a set period as punishment.
    BruceYee[Deleted User]
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2017
    AAA MMOs with full OWPVP/PK:

- Lineage 1
    - Lineage 2 (mainly the older versions)
    - Project TL (it is expected to offer open world pvp)
    Copperfield
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    DMKano said:
    Fully open = can kill everyone including your own group members, your guildmates = all
    You mistake open world with FFA...
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Gdemami said:
    DMKano said:
    You mistake open world with FFA...
    Ya know, at first I had the same thought.
    But then I took a deeper look at something bugging me about it.

If "Open World Sandbox" (my dream) means "go anywhere", and that's all about not restricting access by levels, then in PvP terms it should mean "attack anyone".

Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't have repercussions for such actions.

Once upon a time....

If "Open World Sandbox" (my dream) means "go anywhere", and that's all about not restricting access by levels, then in PvP terms it should mean "attack anyone".

No, it shouldn't.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Cyrodill in ESO. It's so damn huge and so many different things going on outside the war. You can certainly get the open world feel and get you gank on.
    RexKushman
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Gdemami said:

No, it shouldn't.
    All subject to opinion.
    Gdemami

Once upon a time....

anemo said:
    @Jean-Luc_Picard

Sadly, what you want has ALWAYS ended in a gankfest. Always.
    I know it's pretty annoying.   Usually no matter how much you punish players for being mindless gank machines, or reward players for for cooperative play.   You get the same result of PvP being the only way to play.

Screeps is a pretty big exception though.   It's an AI programming MMO.   So your colonies are in the world at all times, there are good defensive tools available, and to even do much it has a pretty steep skill curve.   You normally only see fights when someone wants to actually expand their boarders, and occasionally an alliance war every couple of months...   That being said it's hard to tell what most kept it from being an utter gankfest 24/7:  The skill gap, always being at risk (including repercussions of previous attacks), or how difficult it is to be mobile.

All subject to opinion.
    Not at all.

There is no implication that open world/sandbox game should have FFA pvp rule set. Open world game can be a single player game, faction PVP, contain no PVP at all or w/e.

They are two different concepts unrelated to each other in any way.
    ConstantineMerus
    Gdemami said:
    All subject to opinion.
    Not at all.

There is no implication that open world/sandbox game should have FFA pvp rule set. Open world game can be a single player game, faction PVP, contain no PVP at all or w/e.

They are two different concepts unrelated to each other in any way.
    Well exactly, but when the subject is "Open World PvP", then it's about the PvP. And restrictions close the "open".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for that unless there are true penalties for "crimes". That's something that's never been done without loopholes.

ANYTHING else besides true punishments that hurt (without loopholes), including factions, can be abused. And that brings down the PvP and the game like we've always seen as evidence.

Most PvPers don't want that, even though it would give them the best PvP game they've ever seen, because they just want to gank-for-gain. They don't really want PvP, they want a means to bushwhack other players and loot them.
    So we all suffer without that great PvP game as a result.
    Selfish, stoopid, bass turds.

Once upon a time....

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yes. Planetside 2. 
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited November 2017
    Age Of Wushu which is still one of my go to mmos. You can kill anybody, anywhere at any time.
    Even if you are in town you can be attacked and killed.

I would say Lineage 2 but that game is done. Its been watered down so much that its just not nearly the game it use to be. Lineage 2 was probably the best true open world pvp game ever made. It was based around guild politics and territory control. I remember right after making your character and getting out in the world you would see people pvping and reds running around the starter zones.  

PVP must start at early levels for me to consider a game a true pvp game.
  • sm1lysm1ly Member CommonPosts: 2
    sm1ly said:
    Rhoklaw said:

bump here.

so bump.

darkfall is your thing m8.. if you have  patience on learning how to fight
    waiting for 26 january. new down will start.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Mikeha said:
    Age Of Wushu which is still one of my go to mmos. You can kill anybody, anywhere at any time.
    Even if you are in town you can be attacked and killed.

Thank for the info. Now I can avoid this game. It is not like i don't have an abundance of games to finish anyway. You just saved me 15 min to check it out. 
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Niikolo said:
    Not to self promote but I'm actually working on a MMORPG that is exactlly that! I'm going to release it officially on July 31st (next month) for FREE. We are currently polishing the graphics, and other mechanics. Check it out:

inspired by the original Diablos and Runescape. It's called Rips.Online
    (Yes that is Edgar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isyQrw9pQnM 
    Some gameplay footage there ^^

We are still polishing the graphics, and adding more features before we officially release it on July 31st. Would love you guys to come check it out. I want to do a tournament have and reward the number 1 fighter $100... 

What do you guys think? Any advice or tips? There will be no in-game purchases like these other games. I don't like that shit. It ruins games...

I'd love some serious feedback!
    Looks like a steaming pile.

MurderHerd