Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - The Big Reasons to Be Excited About Allied Races in Battle for Azeroth - MMORPG.

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft - The Big Reasons to Be Excited About Allied Races in Battle for Azeroth - MMORPG.com

When World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth launches at some indistinct point in the future, it will come packed with six brand new races. While there is still a lot of speculation about why these race groups would join one faction or the other lore-wise, there are some pretty compelling reasons to be excited to see them from a purely gameplay perspective.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Honestly just looks like another reputation grind to me. Any time I see the word "unlock" along with WoW these days I cringe.
    ArskaaapantaroOctagon7711KooturCazrielhasho83
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Well i personaly do not mind the grind. I know I know there is something wrong with me :)
    [Deleted User]kjohiohoodwink78
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Viper482 said:

Honestly just looks like another reputation grind to me. Any time I see the word "unlock" along with WoW these days I cringe.

From what they've said, there will be a quest chain to unlock the new races.
  • tyrrintyrrin Member UncommonPosts: 39
    It's supposed to be locked behind a quest chain; similar to the hero classes.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Seems rather ridiculous to me.  Might be nice for new people to the game, but most of us already have too many characters to even bother with another one.  Anyway, they are just reskins of existing races so just do not see the big deal about it.
    Cryolitycal
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Forgrimm said:

Viper482 said:

From what they've said, there will be a quest chain to unlock the new races.

Btw wasn't it mentioned that the quest chain will be available during League, meaning once BfA launches most people should have them unlocked anyway.

Personally years ago I couldn't care less what race I was. I cared more about their racials, but in recent years things like races started to get my attention. I think that it's a nice thing to add to the game, but I hope that Blizzard won't allow character boosts for the new races, at least now in the first 2-3 months otherwise the "rarity" you want to experience by playing one of those at the beginning of the expansion will be lost and they will just feel like any other race when everyone around you is with those races :P
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2017
    You're supposed to get some kind of unique outfit or something per toon you LEVEL (not boost) to 120 or something. Busy work for a month I guess. Personally, Legion made me question why I've played so long. From starting in Cata, every expansion has just dumbed down almost every aspect of the game with just different modes for the same content and more daily grinds. But thanks to battle balance I guess I dont have to actually care about wasting actual money for the story of BfA and Legion did make it even easier to make money with minimal effort, so find positives where you can I suppose
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2017
    All of this stuff was mentioned in last week's article, but here's what we know:

1. There will be specific quests for EACH of the new Allied races to provide lore reasons why they join one faction over the other.

2. Once the allied race has joined, players can race change existing characters AND / OR they can start a new character at level 20 (all allied races begin at 20 to avoid the necessity of a starter zone). If a player raises that character all the way to BfA's base level (120), they will receive "heritage armor" that is heavily themed around their race.

3. @Nyctelios - Of course they are adding a ton of new features and content. This is just one piece in the larger mosaic. I guess you missed the feature trailer from Blizzcon:

4. It's possible that some of the Allied Races will be unlocked during the pre-BfA event. However, Zandalari and the Dark Iron Dwarves will need to be courted into each one's faction after the launch of BfA.
    Post edited by SBFord on
    MadFrenchieScottJeslisMrMelGibson[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2017

SBFord said:

All of this stuff was mentioned in last week's article, but here's what we know:

1. There will be specific quests for EACH of the new Allied races to provide lore reasons why they join one faction over the other.

2. Once the allied race has joined, players can race change existing characters AND / OR they can start a new character at level 20 (all allied races begin at 20 to avoid the necessity of a starter zone). If a player raises that character all the way to BfA's base level (120), they will receive "heritage armor" that is heavily themed around their race.

3. @Nyctelios - Of course they are adding a ton of new features and content. This is just one piece in the larger mosaic. I guess you missed the feature trailer from Blizzcon:

4. It's possible that some of the Allied Races will be unlocked during the pre-BfA event. However, Zandalari and the Dark Iron Dwarves will need to be courted into each one's faction after the launch of BfA.

Why didn't anyone interviewing them about this ask the most important question, which is: are the nightborne able to wear shoes? The last thing I want for the horde is 3 new shoesless races. Throw them a bone Blizzard and make it so the nightborne can wear shoes instead of those stupid bangles on their ankles.
    SBFordBruceYee[Deleted User]Signex
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Blizzard has spent 10 years trying to attain the same level of character customization that FFXI accomplished in it's original design.
    Give it up,continue to do what Blizzard is best at...instances.
    pantaroCazriel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Nyctelios said:

To me the point is: Will they add something or just character models? It's a game,the focus should be gameplay wise.

I'm sure they realized that for some easy reskining work, they can probably make a ton in race change fees.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited November 2017
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    When can i play a human Shaman? That's all i care about race-wise.
    Octagon7711syltmacka
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited November 2017
    Allied Races will begin at level 20 so ne'er-do-wells don't get to try them out for free from 1 to 20. So be prepared to pay.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Dragon kin, Ogres, Trents, and Dark iron might be something to get excited over. This is jus lame. Do you get extra char slots? I bet you do if you pay for them. They are jus trying to tie people up with more alts re running the same old content.
    edited November 2017
    Allied Races will begin at level 20 so ne'er-do-wells don't get to try them out for free from 1 to 20. So be prepared to pay.
    @Octagon7711 Well, of course, you can buy a boost as you have been able to for years. However, no heritage armor unless you raise it by hand. With more level agnostic zones to grow up in, that shouldn't be a big deal. No one's forced to play Allied Races or to race change. Honestly, trial accounts shouldn't have access either. It's sort of nice to have a perk at end game. 

@Ishkal Um...Dark Iron IS one of the Allied Races. And, yes, there are extra slots, as a matter of fact 6 extras per server up to the 50 character account total. It's in the article and the video and about every interview since Blizzcon. We don't have one single idea what they'll add next. This is a first effort to expand customization and it's a good start. Hopefully, they'll get more exotic next time

@Thupli We only know a couple of their racials, but most not yet. You can check this article at WoWHead:
    http://www.wowhead.com/news=275385/battle-for-azeroth-demo-lightforged-draenei-and-highmountain-tauren-racials-firs

[Deleted User]Thupli

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    "6 new races" lmao
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I thought racials were removed from the game a couple of expansions ago to combat min-maxing and the way Blizz explained it was, "to avoid the player feeling like they had to play a certain race in order to get the most out of their class".
  • seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312
    New races so we can replay the same old classes...again.

If there was a new class or two to play along with the new races then I'd be more excited.
    edited November 2017

If there was a new class or two to play along with the new races then I'd be more excited.
    They just added Demon Hunters in Legion, the first truly new class since DKs in WotLK. In addition, Survival Hunters were taken from bow users to becoming pet using melee characters. Outlaw Rogues were also overhauled to be pistol using assassins. Blizzard moves at the pace of a snail. Three essentially "new" classes in 10 years is zippy quick. :D

@Rukushin Racials are totally still in, some better than others of course.
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    I know Dark Iron is one of the races, just saying with them that the races I stated would make this decision exciting. These races ARE just skins, and skins of races no one ever wanted at that. Ask any one, "Would you play a Dragon kin mage, or Dragon Kin warrior/Ogre warrior, or an Ogre shaman?" I bet you would get a, "HELL YEAH!", but same question replaced with," Do you want to play a horde dark elf or Tauren with different fur?" not the same kind of reactions. How do I know? I have asked that question to players. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just sick of being fed poo and told it's ice cream.
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

Well i personaly do not mind the grind. I know I know there is something wrong with me :)

You should work in finance then.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    Are race changes still locked behind an overpriced fee?
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:

They just added Demon Hunters in Legion, the first truly new class since DKs in WotLK. In addition, Survival Hunters were taken from bow users to becoming pet using melee characters. Outlaw Rogues were also overhauled to be pistol using assassins. Blizzard moves at the pace of a snail. Three essentially "new" classes in 10 years is zippy quick. :D

Wait wait wait, Outlaw rogues with pistols are a thing now?  OMG.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    SBFord said:

Or perhaps Blizzard realized that adding more and more new classes is a quick way to ruin the game.

Constantly adding new classes would destroy class balance and cheapen existing classes. And for what? So, people like seraphis79 can come back for a month or 2 to try out the new shiny only to quit again and complain on forums "where are the new classes? I want new classes"

FF14 just added more new classes, and good news! They keep making them stronger and stronger! Old classes like Summoner and Dragoon are basically lepers now but who cares? New classes!

Also, Demon Hunters first "truly new class since Death Knight"? Uh, did you forget about Monks?