Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sound BlasterX AE-5 PCIe Gaming Sound Card and DAC: Rock On - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageSound BlasterX AE-5 PCIe Gaming Sound Card and DAC: Rock On - MMORPG.com

Want to step up your game from motherboard audio? Wondering if it’s a worthwhile upgrade? We’re out to answer those questions today with our review of Creative Labs’ Sound BlasterX AE-5 PCIe Gaming Sound Card and DAC. Gareth “Gazimoff” Harper has the answers to your questions.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 366
    I used to be a big fan of Sound Blaster, I installed my first in an IBM PS/2 Model 30 so I could play Wing Commander in all it's glory.

The problem with SB, for me anyways, has always been finicky HW compatibility. The original card always conflicted with the parallel port by default, later cards had memory range conflicts and PCI compatibility issues. Eventually I just gave up and used the on board audio. And now with a lot of audio devices switching to USB I just don't see the point for your average gamer.

I my opinion you'd be better off upping the price range of your headphones by $150 than messing with a dedicated audio card.
    genclaymoreSadfist
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 229

Siris23 said:

I used to be a big fan of Sound Blaster, I installed my first in an IBM PS/2 Model 30 so I could play Wing Commander in all it's glory.

The problem with SB, for me anyways, has always been finicky HW compatibility. The original card always conflicted with the parallel port by default, later cards had memory range conflicts and PCI compatibility issues. Eventually I just gave up and used the on board audio. And now with a lot of audio devices switching to USB I just don't see the point for your average gamer.

I my opinion you'd be better off upping the price range of your headphones by $150 than messing with a dedicated audio card.

Agreed. Only persnickity audiophiles will notice a difference over onboard audio.
    genclaymore
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225

Chaserz said:

Agreed. Only persnickity audiophiles will notice a difference over onboard audio.

I'm going to have to disagree with this one. After specifically testing it against on-board audio with a pair of crappy Apple earphones, I could still hear a significant difference. And my ears aren't special - I'm 38, suffer from Meniere's disease (slow degradation of the inner ear) - if anything, I should be deaf to the difference.

Whether you choose to go for it is up to you, especially if your devices are all USB. But to say only audiophioles can tell the difference is a tad incorrect.
    Torvalgenclaymorepantaro
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Microsoft's removal of the Audio HAL and what they did with direct sound and Creative's non use of HRTF killed the sound card from what I have read. They are just making incremental gains with what they are doing.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3167613/hardware/the-full-nerd-episode-16-who-killed-pc-audio-and-will-soundcards-ever-be-a-thing-again.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/40qhph/how_creative_nearly_brought_back_great_pc_audio/

There is an HRTF mod for Skyrim. Of you use headphones disable the virtual 7.1 and try it.
  • biowar5biowar5 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I have been using this site for years and usually agree with the reviews on games and products and have never left a comment however I have to add my 2 cents worth here for fellow gamers...

first I did own a soundblaster AE-5 card and returned it because of card failure(after 4 weeks), and I could not get anyone to respond from creative. I really just wanted this card to work. I was using this card on a MSI Gaming 7 motherboard, everything running water, and 32 gb memory so there should not have been any reason for problems, lucky for me Amazon was great and covered me 2 weeks past warrentee
    I loved the sound that this card produced on the games I play, and needed the amplification for my sennheiser game one cans. The software was easy to use. sooooo
    love the sound quality, hated the support, and build quality for this card seems to be lacking