Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA should lose the Star Wars license

124»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    MrTuggles said:
    Battlefront 2 is an amazing game. I am not sure why everyone is so angry. As long as everything from lotto boxes can be gained in game it should be no issue. It is literally just like any other F2P game out there with lotto boxes.
    According to computations that I've seen but have not independently verified, you can get everything from the boxes just by playing the game, but it will take several thousand hours of gameplay.  There's a difference between "it's theoretically possible to get the stuff from the loot boxes by playing the game" and "it's practical to get the stuff from the loot boxes by playing the game".
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    MrTuggles said:
    Battlefront 2 is an amazing game. I am not sure why everyone is so angry. As long as everything from lotto boxes can be gained in game it should be no issue. It is literally just like any other F2P game out there with lotto boxes.
    Except its not F2P. Its $80, is guaranteed to have DLC and Season passes, and now has loot boxes. They are triple dipping and you are happily eating that nasty ass dip and saying "Thank you, may I please have some more?". I mean no offense dude, but if your gonna take a dick from EA they could at least throw in some lube. Or maybe they did and its just in a loot box?  

To each their own, if you choose to support this business model that is your own prerogative. But every time one of these big companies makes bank off people who take their ridiculous box prices, dlc's, season passes and loot boxes on the chin with no complaints. The next time they make a game are they gonna think twice about doing it again? Not likely.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    EA should lose every license, stop making games and disappear from the game industry forever.  Who knows how many more great games and gaming memories we'd have today if EA hadn't destroyed some of the greatest game development studios.  They're basically a cancer on the entire industry.
    hmmm, those development studios didn't have to sell to EA.
    My theory is that they all woke up with a horse's head in their bed.
    laserit[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Flyte27 said:

Thankfully they are not screwing me as I stopped playing MMOs when they went Free to Play.  

How are they screwing you when you can play for paying nothing? It is not like you have to spend a single cent in the cash shop.

Now I don't play TOR because i don't like that game, but i wouldn't call letting you play for free "screwing you". The only people they may be screwing over are the whales and as long as you are not one, why would you care?

In fact, Origin Access is a steal at $30 a year. You have tons of games to play at half of the price of a AAA box game. And no, i spend nothing beyond that. I got it just for titanfall 2 single player campaign, and now I am enjoying Trine 2, Torchlight 2 (yes, i missed it first time around), and ME Andromeda with NO extra payment.

So tell me, how is EA screwing me?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I would far prefer EA to learn that purchase randomness needs to be taken out of all their games. We want fairness, not the companies board burnt at the stake.
    Scot said:
    I would far prefer EA to learn that purchase randomness needs to be taken out of all their games. We want fairness, not the companies board burnt at the stake.

There is no "we". I want fun. Fairness is irrelevant for single player gameplay for me. If some whales subsidize my games, I am not going to say "no". 
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    You have two options. Starting your own game company and making a lot of money so you can outbid EA for the exclusive license. Or becoming CEO at Disney so you have some input on what they do with their IP.

Good luck nerds. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Scot said:

There is no "we". I want fun. Fairness is irrelevant for single player gameplay for me. If some whales subsidize my games, I am not going to say "no". 

They never is a "we" with you Nari, only a you.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Hariken said:
    Flyte27 said:
    What do you plan to have done with the Star Wars license?  There are have been two MMORPGs.  The only place I'd like to see it used is in single player games, but I'm not a huge fan of the new movies and that would make playing through the single player games pointless for me.  If they had another KOTOR single player game I'd probably give it a try.
    Disney just need to be more involved than just letting EA do whatever they want is what i wish for. Stop charging money for basic mmo things like races UI elements and any character restrictions like titles and looks. Also gear use. Its the worse business model in mmo history and we have no one to blame but our selves for letting then screw us.

Yes Disney the place that has been jacking up prices to see a costume mouse for decades. That over prices everything in their parks.  That looks constantly for ways monetize your visits to their park.  I would not put it past them to have you pay to use the bathrooms.  Yeah I am sure they will make the decisions that will be infavor of the players.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    F2Plague said:
    MrTuggles said:
    Except its not F2P. Its $80, is guaranteed to have DLC and Season passes, and now has loot boxes. They are triple dipping and you are happily eating that nasty ass dip and saying "Thank you, may I please have some more?". I mean no offense dude, but if your gonna take a dick from EA they could at least throw in some lube. Or maybe they did and its just in a loot box?  

To each their own, if you choose to support this business model that is your own prerogative. But every time one of these big companies makes bank off people who take their ridiculous box prices, dlc's, season passes and loot boxes on the chin with no complaints. The next time they make a game are they gonna think twice about doing it again? Not likely.

I have to correct you here. The devs stated long ago that there would be no season pass and no paid DLC. That is what the income from the boxes was covering. All DLC packs will be free to anyone who owns the game so that the population doesn't get split up between people who own DLC maps and those that don't.  

Tons of people have ignored this and are too lazy to actually look into the game.
    Asm0deus

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    MrTuggles said:
    You know i see this written a lot, about BF II, locked content and lootboxes aside, being an amazing game. Which makes me wonder if nowadays player standards and expectations are indeed this low. Or if they just care about shiny graphics and explosions.

Can you elaborate about what makes BF II "amazing" ? The 4 hour long filled with cliches and coherence lacking campaign ? The 'been there done that', unbalanced multiplayer bringing nothing new to the table ? Yes, the graphics are awesome and you get to visit some iconic locations. I suppose this is enough for you and others.

SW: BF II is a mediocre game at best. If it wasn't for the Star Wars title in front of "Battlefront" very few would grand it with a second look.
    RexKushman
  • Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    sayuu said:
    seeing as how EA's star wars games "print money" in spite of all the internet rage against them I dont think they will lose the IP exclusivity anytime soon. . .
    Don't know.. Disney sure do extreme things sometimes to maintain their family friendly image and, let's face it, there's a good chance that whoever they give Star Wars rights to would print money.
    You do realize Disney isn't exactly that family friendly right? They own multiple brands for their R rated entertainment. Google Buena vista Entertainment.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    The mistake was made in 2012/13 when Disney acquired the Star Wars IP and then laid off most of the staff at LucasArts, instead of keeping them as the developers of Star Wars games rather than just the controlling the Licenses. Why throw away a games developer with a proven track record of Star Wars games in favour of issuing licenses to a third party?

It makes no sense to me to pay such a large amount for an IP like Star Wars and then to  throw away one of it's major assets and money makers in that way. Bad move, Disney.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    sayuu said:
    seeing as how EA's star wars games "print money" in spite of all the internet rage against them I dont think they will lose the IP exclusivity anytime soon. . .
    Don't know.. Disney sure do extreme things sometimes to maintain their family friendly image and, let's face it, there's a good chance that whoever they give Star Wars rights to would print money.
    You do realize Disney isn't exactly that family friendly right? They own multiple brands for their R rated entertainment. Google Buena vista Entertainment.
    Yes, but the R rated is rated R. Gambling in a Teen rated game?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited November 2017
    The mistake was made in 2012/13 when Disney acquired the Star Wars IP and then laid off most of the staff at LucasArts, instead of keeping them as the developers of Star Wars games rather than just the controlling the Licenses. Why throw away a games developer with a proven track record of Star Wars games in favour of issuing licenses to a third party?

It makes no sense to me to pay such a large amount for an IP like Star Wars and then to  throw away one of it's major assets and money makers in that way. Bad move, Disney.

I hate EA....but tell me what was the last really good Star Wars game LucasArts put out? KOTOR? Tie Fighter? Dark Forces? It's been a looooong time since they had a good track record. 
    cameltosis
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Shodanas said:
    MrTuggles said:
    You know i see this written a lot, about BF II, locked content and lootboxes aside, being an amazing game. Which makes me wonder if nowadays player standards and expectations are indeed this low. Or if they just care about shiny graphics and explosions.

Can you elaborate about what makes BF II "amazing" ? The 4 hour long filled with cliches and coherence lacking campaign ? The 'been there done that', unbalanced multiplayer bringing nothing new to the table ? Yes, the graphics are awesome and you get to visit some iconic locations. I suppose this is enough for you and others.

SW: BF II is a mediocre game at best. If it wasn't for the Star Wars title in front of "Battlefront" very few would grand it with a second look.
    thats your opinion, just some like skinny chicks so like fat chicks its a matter of taste, if u dont like it dont buy it..., shiny graphics and explosions is expect just like at the movies all shows uses cgi and computer generated graphics its called progress...

imo, their multiplayer is unlike overwatch that competitive its just having fun and chill, win or lose it really doesnt matter because its more a team effort rather than some rambo or op shit dominating everything, only problem is its a damm grind, obviously for the impatient or those players with alpha male mentality they gonna sucker up and pay for loot boxes... 

my 2 cents
    RexKushman
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

They never is a "we" with you Nari, only a you.
    and i thought no one here will wise up to that fact.

Although I suppose most gamers, and particularly those not crusading no this forum, care more about fun than some "social justice in video games". 

Otherwise, you think EA would bankrupt long time ago. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Again they should lose the license, they aren't doing much with it anymore. Only one other game in the pipeline so far, and some boring DLC game-mode crap for Battlefront, and one mobile game in beta.

I can't imagine Disney's approval process being as much a pain in the ass as Lucas Arts was to work with on getting new licensed game projects started, so why only 1 other game to talk about; which I might add is over a year away. I think no one wants to work with EA on anything and that's why they have little to show in the way of Star Wars projects.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter