Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mom Claims Teen is a 'Scapegoat' When Sued by Epic Games for Cheating - Fortnite - MMORPG.com

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kyleran said:
    Poor parenting choices aside, the kid posted actual events. That doesn't mean he gets to keep playing the game. But he has a right to post his nonsense on YouTube. Or do we actually like the idea that companies can dictate legally that we can't expose the flaws in their stuff?
    I'm not of a liberal nature so I am OK with companies controlling information on illegal use of their software,  or products that assist in such use.

Highly doubt he is a hero of the people in his YouTube videos.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited November 2017
    Poor parenting choices aside, the kid posted actual events. That doesn't mean he gets to keep playing the game. But he has a right to post his nonsense on YouTube. Or do we actually like the idea that companies can dictate legally that we can't expose the flaws in their stuff?
    The game companies explicitly state this software and cheating is not allowed.

The person goes and does it anyways.

As it is their game they can legally say to you you are not allowed to use any 3rd party software they say.

Exposing the flaws as you say would be "here I did this, send to them privately." Not continue to cheat and then broadcast it everywhere hurting the sales of the game because cheating is important to people who buy these types of games.

The "I like to cheat" crowd is out in force.........

KyleranforcelimaMrMelGibson
  • toetoetoetoe Member UncommonPosts: 23
    his mom this his mom that ...her parenting this her parenting that ... how about going after the company that makes the hacks instead of a 14 yr old kid ? or is that to financially hard for a triple A company? get the maker not the user
    JeffSpicoliPingu2012MrMelGibsonversulas
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Kyleran said:
    No idea how this turned out, but back in 2003 a 12 year old was publically named in a music sharing lawsuit which resembles this situation somewhat.

Similar counterclaims were made by her mother and the company's excuse for naming a minor is they had no way of knowing the girl's age.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2003/09/09/12-year-old-sued-for-music-downloading.html

Remember LimeWire, The good old days of the internet
    KyleranCecropia
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    teaching others how to hack an cheat is never something that should be promoted, the easier you make it for the layman to steal the more like the fool will  feign ignorance an gain sympathy to repeat the crimes later. similar to what you doing now trying empathize with him.
    forcelimabobbymcswanson[Deleted User]Octagon7711MrMelGibsonMabushii

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    toetoe said:
    his mom this his mom that ...her parenting this her parenting that ... how about going after the company that makes the hacks instead of a 14 yr old kid ? or is that to financially hard for a triple A company? get the maker not the user
    I agree, Thats the part of this i don't understand. I think someone mentioned these kids were "staff memebers" on the website which = what? Forum Mods? 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited November 2017
    Dakeru said:
    Ozmodan said:

As to the mother, she is probably correct that they are singling out her son, 
    They clearly said the kid sued them first.
    Hard to see the kid as a victim when he tossed the first stone.
    WTF is with this whole situation? This whole thing is stupid on both sides. Looks to me like both sides are trying to get 15 minutes of fame here.

Let these 2 go at it........who cares? I'm no lawyer, but for a civil suit, you need to prove you suffered damages. Did either of these parties suffer damages? I doubt it. And if they did, it probably qualifies for small claims.
  • bleedeaglebleedeagle Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Please inform me but what the fuck is the first part "She says that Fortnite’s terms require parental consent for minors, and that she never gave this consent. "

To me it basically says you fucked up kid as if you played the game and never asked a consent from your parents you have no rights in this trial. It's the same as Rated T for Teens games should not be played by 6 year old's and if you do its your own responsibility ( or parents)
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dakeru said:
    Ozmodan said:

WTF is with this whole situation? This whole thing is stupid on both sides. Looks to me like both sides are trying to get 15 minutes of fame here.

Let these 2 go at it........who cares? I'm no lawyer, but for a civil suit, you need to prove you suffered damages. Did either of these parties suffer damages? I doubt it. And if they did, it probably qualifies for small claims.
    I agree.
    The underaged son sues a whale in the business and the mother claims she didn't know anything about it.

Can you get a lawyer without your parents' consent at age 14?

I call bullshit from her side.
    forcelima[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonMabushii
    Harbinger of Fools
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    LMAO parental issue's trying to repass the blame away from them. Thats all it is. I bet she would be one who has said 14yr who hacks into a bank and then say it wasnt his fault it was the banks. Roughly the same thing. 

Throw the book at them and give em a hefty fine, especially since they hacked into teh game and used a program to cheat with. Cannot say they did not know what they were doing because they did, they also knew it was against the rules and Terms/conditions but still did it. Cheaters need to be hung, drawn and quartered and also named and shamed, parents need to suffer a big fine and then maybe other parents will start to take note of what there kids are upto.
    forcelimaMrMelGibson
    Dakeru said
    Dakeru said:
    Ozmodan said:

I agree.
    The underaged son sues a whale in the business and the mother claims she didn't know anything about it.

They had his videos blocked so he was sueing to have them restored.  
    Octagon7711
    The game companies explicitly state this software and cheating is not allowed.

The person goes and does it anyways.

As it is their game they can legally say to you you are not allowed to use any 3rd party software they say.

Exposing the flaws as you say would be "here I did this, send to them privately." Not continue to cheat and then broadcast it everywhere hurting the sales of the game because cheating is important to people who buy these types of games.

The "I like to cheat" crowd is out in force.........

Right....he violates their TOS. He loses his account. NEXT!

Why make all this nonsense out of it? The kid is being ridiculous because he got caught. But that doesn't mean he can't use Youtube to post what happened. If there is any validity to what the kid has to say, then let people see it if it's the truth. Otherwise, the kid has the right to make an idiot of himself on the Internet, He's not the 1st.
    [Deleted User]
    Horusra said:
    Dakeru said
    Dakeru said:
    Ozmodan said:

I agree.

Yes but how does that change anything I said?
    Harbinger of Fools
    jimmywolf said:
    teaching others how to hack an cheat is never something that should be promoted, the easier you make it for the layman to steal the more like the fool will  feign ignorance an gain sympathy to repeat the crimes later. similar to what you doing now trying empathize with him.
    This is strictly about what's legal or not legal. He's a cheater, he's an idiot. But is he breaking the law?  If what he is posting is the truth, then he should have the legal right to post it. (under most circumstances)

Companies being allowed to stifle the truth about their products is not a path we want to allow them to go down regardless of how ridiculous it seems.

Look, let the kid post the truth.....then, let the evidence speak for itself. It will testify that the company did something wrong, or it will testify that the poster is stupid.
    Pingu2012[Deleted User]KyleranMrMelGibsonMabushii
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited November 2017
    toetoe said:
    They should go after both, the company and the person using it. 
    forcelimaSilverfootMrMelGibsonMabushii
    DMKano said:
    I hope Epic loses their ass on this.

Going after cheater 3rd party sites like Blizzard did is the way to go.

Going after end users - nope. Just ban them, legal action against users - especially minors is not ok with me.

This is one reason why I dont support Epic and dont play their games - I will gladly spend my money elsewhere.

Every game has cheaters, ban the cheaters, sue the cheater software makers.

Picking a few users to sue "to set an exmple" and meanwhile there are 1000s of other people cheating on Fortnite who will nevef get sued - shitty publicity stunt.

Epic - why not sue all cheaters? Like 1000s of em - at least do that and then I will take you seriously, because cherry picking a few is just cheap PR stunt.
    Then you also didn't read what happened.
    They banned him and his cheater videos and he in response sued them.

If someone played my game and sued me cause I wouldn't let them cheat I would make their names public.

And this is why they didn't "sue 1000s of em" - normal cheaters are at least smart enough to know when they got caught and lost.
    k61977forcelimaKyleranxyzercrimebobbymcswansonAlomarSilverfootMrMelGibsonLiljnaMabushiiand 1 other.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Horusra said:
    Dakeru said
    Dakeru said:
    Ozmodan said:

I agree.

Yes but how does that change anything I said?

He probably doesn't need a lawyer to file that I would not be surprised if there's something through YouTube to file the paperwork. Second the damage is that his video is not being seen and I believe they can make money from
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

LMAO parental issue's trying to repass the blame away from them. Thats all it is. I bet she would be one who has said 14yr who hacks into a bank and then say it wasnt his fault it was the banks. Roughly the same thing. 

Throw the book at them and give em a hefty fine, especially since they hacked into teh game and used a program to cheat with. Cannot say they did not know what they were doing because they did, they also knew it was against the rules and Terms/conditions but still did it. Cheaters need to be hung, drawn and quartered and also named and shamed, parents need to suffer a big fine and then maybe other parents will start to take note of what there kids are upto.

Good example... hacking into a bank and a game are on the same level. I like the way your mind works.

I also agree that a 14 year old knows what he is doing and death penalty is the only reasonable verdict.

I mean most of the post here are a proof that 10-14 year olds know what they are doing(I assume the posters are in that range because their thinking is at about that level). Every post that suggested that the boy knew what he was doing. That the mother is being a bad parent for not hiring a person to stand over her kids shoulder and monitor what he is doing. That you can only pay with a credit card in 2017... All these comments show that 14 year olds know what they are saying.

Honestly people don't know what they are doing at the age of 25-30 even 35 and people think that a 14 year old boy was realizing what he was doing and that he should be punished severely for being a 14 year old kid... And what for? Cheating in some crappy game. Dear lord. Ban his account and be over with it.
    MrMelGibson
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:

Going after end users - nope. Just ban them, legal action against users - especially minors is not ok with me.

This is one reason why I dont support Epic and dont play their games - I will gladly spend my money elsewhere.

Picking a few users to sue "to set an exmple" and meanwhile there are 1000s of other people cheating on Fortnite who will nevef get sued - shitty publicity stunt.

Epic - why not sue all cheaters? Like 1000s of em - at least do that and then I will take you seriously, because cherry picking a few is just cheap PR stunt.
    They weren't just end users though. They are both accused of being associated with the cheat site and providing technical support for the cheat. And one of them is accused of actually writing the cheat code. The one dude was banned 9 times but continued to make new accounts and "previously stated he is working on a cheat to create "unwanted chaos and disorder" within the game."
    AlomarMrMelGibsonMabushii
    People are getting 2 separate issues mixed up here.

1. Bad parenting.
    2. A company issuing take-downs on Y2 because they don't like what's posted.

One does not justify the other.

But if you think that because some kid has bad parenting justifies anyone losing right to post  something negative about a company on the Internet (Assuming it's true), then, well, we'll see where that ultimately leads.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    jimmywolf said:
    This is strictly about what's legal or not legal. He's a cheater, he's an idiot. But is he breaking the law?  If what he is posting is the truth, then he should have the legal right to post it. (under most circumstances)

Companies being allowed to stifle the truth about their products is not a path we want to allow them to go down regardless of how ridiculous it seems.

Look, let the kid post the truth.....then, let the evidence speak for itself. It will testify that the company did something wrong, or it will testify that the poster is stupid.

So are you insinuating that it would be ok to hack a bank? You know, because it's their own fault that they have flaws in their system? 

Personally, I'm not a fan of the lawsuit. I think it reflects poorly on Epic. That being said, this guy is publishing information on how to exploit a system, so I'm not sure how that affects the legal aspect of this. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    DMKano said:

I would love to see a lawsuit against all the cheaters myself, ever damn one of them.  No need to make an example if you sue them all. 

This is just the same as when napster/limewire was booming an the music industry started suing individuals in that respect, eventually they went after napster/limewire and pretty much closed it down.  Sure others popped up but the chance at getting sued did slow down the amount of people sharing for quite a while.  It didn't stop it but it really did make people stop and think for a sec about losing thousands over a ten dollar cd for a couple years.
    edited November 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    jimmywolf said:

So are you insinuating that it would be ok to hack a bank? You know, because it's their own fault that they have flaws in their system? 

Personally, I'm not a fan of the lawsuit. I think it reflects poorly on Epic. That being said, this guy is publishing information on how to exploit a system, so I'm not sure how that affects the legal aspect of this. 
    I was talking about a video game exploit, not hacking banks, but since you went there, Let me ask you this......
    If your bank has massive security flaws allowing people to gain access to your financial information over the Internet. Do you think the bank should have the legal right to sue anyone who tries to expose their faults, so they can keep their security compromises secret?

That said, someone stupid enough to hack the bank and post what they did online, gets what they deserve.

2 separate issues.
    [Deleted User]Xingbairong
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

If someone played my game and sued me cause I wouldn't let them cheat I would make their names public.

And this is why they didn't "sue 1000s of em" - normal cheaters are at least smart enough to know when they got caught and lost.

Exactly this.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    DMKano said:

Exactly this.

A 14 year old lawyered up and sued Epic for taking down his Youtube videos.

Link with proof of this lawsuit?
    Doesn't look like the 14 year old sued them, he just contested their attempt to take down his videos showing the cheat in action. But apparently, that left them in a position where they had to file suit in return:

"This particular lawsuit arose as a result of the defendant filing a DMCA counterclaim to a takedown notice on a YouTube video that exposed and promoted Fortnite Battle Royale cheats and exploits," said an Epic Games spokesperson in a statement to Eurogamer. "Under these circumstances, the law requires that we file suit or drop the claim.

KyleranMrMelGibson