Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Credible Sources Saying MHO Closing Friday, Not December 31st After All - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMOR

13»

Comments

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Hariken said:

I can only hope Disney goes after EA and swtor next.

Holy crap, people. Are you just this adverse to reading? It wasn't Disney that shut them down early, it was the banks. And companies that are bankrupt have zero protections from creditors and banks they owe money to. Absolutely zero.

What this means is that the banks basically shut off their line of credit and seized all their bank accounts, so that they can't even pay their people. That is the only reason companies shut down like this. Disney may own the IP, but unless they've gone into the banking business, they probably don't own the debt and have nothing to do with this hasty demise.

And lastly, why in the world would you want SWTOR's devs to be reamed out like this? No pay, no benefits, no job. Some kind of nerdy fantasy revenge?
    esc-joconnorSovrath
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    yea make it singleplayer only. why scrap it?
    Octagon7711
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Nilden said:

Moxom914 said:

Vrika said:

Moxom914 said:

Tiamat64 said:

Too many people that need to be refunded means they can't even keep it open for one more month, maybe?  Keeping it open at this point would just be bleeding money that they need to pay the refunds.

Forgrimm said:

I know a lot of people are upset and wanting refunds for their purchases in @MarvelHeroes, but please keep in mind the developers were not paid out PTO, severance, and our medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

— Andrew Hair (@andrewhair) ;November 22, 2017

Some people want refunds for the xp boosts they bought and used and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to pay for insulin. Just some perspective.

Ouch :(  Guess that answers that.

refunds for what? its a digital purchase. its not something you keep. im not sure why people feel they deserve refunds to a game? i spent hundreds. all games come to an end sometime. i never bought anything expecting a refund.

People asking for refunds are mostly console players, the game launched for XBox One and PS4 less than 5 months ago.

The logic is that the developer must give you reasonable amount of time to enjoy your purchases.

the money i spent was on console. theres no timetable for digital purchases. if i spent $300 today and a game shuts down tomorrow, oh well. life has no guarantees. neither do games.

Actually that's completely false I own many games that I can play with support for hosting my own servers that will never shut down, with no DRM, and I can do what I want with them because I actually own them instead of this bullshit games as a service no guarantee system.

ok. i wasnt completely false. what you said is not normal. this thread is discussing refunds based off a game closing. whatever games you own and will never shut down doesnt really fit this scenero.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

goozmania said:

This is so stupid... There should be regulations against corporations like Disney randomly pulling the plug on contracts that provide an ongoing service to consumers. People should have months of warning, the company should have months of warning. Livelihood should not be so easily taken.

Corporations have way too much power in this country... but then, that's not news.

the original date of Dec 3st was Disney pulling the plug. . .

. . .the new date of Nov 24th is because Gazillion doesn't have the money to keep the service going. . .
    Kyleran
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    if we only could have a offline version :(
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Well as of this moment I'm logged in so they're still open.  Everything in the store is marked 50G and I mean everything.  The ability to buy more credits is turned off.  Everyone logged in is talking about checking out their heroes for the last time.   :'(

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Moxom914 said:

Nilden said:

Moxom914 said:

Vrika said:

Moxom914 said:

Tiamat64 said:

Too many people that need to be refunded means they can't even keep it open for one more month, maybe?  Keeping it open at this point would just be bleeding money that they need to pay the refunds.

Forgrimm said:

I know a lot of people are upset and wanting refunds for their purchases in @MarvelHeroes, but please keep in mind the developers were not paid out PTO, severance, and our medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

Some people want refunds for the xp boosts they bought and used and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to pay for insulin. Just some perspective.

refunds for what? its a digital purchase. its not something you keep. im not sure why people feel they deserve refunds to a game? i spent hundreds. all games come to an end sometime. i never bought anything expecting a refund.

People asking for refunds are mostly console players, the game launched for XBox One and PS4 less than 5 months ago.

The logic is that the developer must give you reasonable amount of time to enjoy your purchases.

the money i spent was on console. theres no timetable for digital purchases. if i spent $300 today and a game shuts down tomorrow, oh well. life has no guarantees. neither do games.

Actually that's completely false I own many games that I can play with support for hosting my own servers that will never shut down, with no DRM, and I can do what I want with them because I actually own them instead of this bullshit games as a service no guarantee system.

ok. i wasnt completely false. what you said is not normal. this thread is discussing refunds based off a game closing. whatever games you own and will never shut down doesnt really fit this scenero.
    There are tons of games that let people host their own servers. All they had to do was release the server code and let people connect to their local machines.
    KyleranGdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    That's Inhuman!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Nilden said:
    Moxom914 said:

Nilden said:

Moxom914 said:

Vrika said:

Moxom914 said:

Tiamat64 said:

Forgrimm said:

There are tons of games that let people host their own servers. All they had to do was release the server code and let people connect to their local machines.
    The server code is an asset whose fate will likely be decided in bankruptcy court.

Still likely useless if Disney won't permit use of their IP.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OysterstewOysterstew Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Servers aren't down yet. I think we have a facetious rumor in some extent here. I don't really have any insight except that I play/played this dumb game. I suspect the 12-31 date will probably hold.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Probably nobody left at the company to shut it down... :D
    Blaze_RockerAeanderOctagon7711
  • DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107

Hariken said:

Um you can shut your trap now, there a tons of people who absolutely love SWTOR, myself included. I have no love for EA, but SWTOR is a quality game that the dev team is still committed to.
    Octagon7711
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    People who think SWTOR will go down under circumstances as Marvel Heroes clearly have never kept up with the status of Marvel Heroes Online.  Compared to that game's status, any other big game's situation is all happiness and rainbows.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    So the credible source isn't credible in the end? Or its shut down now?
  • illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Reading around, it seems Gaz pulled a SOE and made a "NGE" update to Marvel Heroes. -- "NGE" in that the majority of the players hated it.

What's funny is the game appeared to be doing great...until an Investor took over [as CEO after a Game Dev was CEO]. Imagine that...someone looking for profits only ruins a game.
    Blaze_Rocker

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    illutian said:
    Reading around, it seems Gaz pulled a SOE and made a "NGE" update to Marvel Heroes. -- "NGE" in that the majority of the players hated it.

What's funny is the game appeared to be doing great...until an Investor took over [as CEO after a Game Dev was CEO]. Imagine that...someone looking for profits only ruins a game.
    Yup, this is pretty much what happened.  They made changes to the game to make it more console friendly, or that is how it was perceived.  But I think the bigger problem was they made, over the years, the same mistake many MMOs make.  They stack shit upon shit upon more shit so that new players feel more and more lost.  Then, you get less new players, and less new money. It's untenable in the long run.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    illutian said:

Thing is, I don't think that the BUE actually killed the game. The population was already low and continuing to dwindle. New content was far too rare, Advanced Pack 3 hero releases were months late (an early sign that something was not well in the state of Denmark), and the game eventually became nothing more than a prestige grinding slog. The BUE just added a burst of controversy into a dying game. 
    Kyleran
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Dreycraft said:

Hariken said:

Um you can shut your trap now, there a tons of people who absolutely love SWTOR, myself included. I have no love for EA, but SWTOR is a quality game that the dev team is still committed to.
    I played that game for at least 2 years, but I can't call it quality anymore. If it turns out they can't sell loot boxes anymore I would bet it won't last long.
    BruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    adam_nox said:
    illutian said:

Yup, this is pretty much what happened.  They made changes to the game to make it more console friendly, or that is how it was perceived.  But I think the bigger problem was they made, over the years, the same mistake many MMOs make.  They stack shit upon shit upon more shit so that new players feel more and more lost.  Then, you get less new players, and less new money. It's untenable in the long run.
    They stacked shit upon shit then took the shit away and gave you different shit is a more accurate description of what happened.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Kyleran said:

The money is gone, the courts will decide who gets the remains.

And the courts will side with the banks and against those who actually did work on the project.
    Kyleran
    Games still running.  I read something about the pc version getting it's license renewed a few months ago and was on the verge of being shutdown then.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Well, game is gone for good. I doubt it will ever be back in any form. Would be nice if they remade it in the form of a buy to play with no crappy item store.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Uninstalling... :'(