Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The next big name license flop!

SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Well Turbine screwed up with DDO and from what I can tell with this game, this will be another big flop but probably more low key than DDO has a lot of people will stay away originally. Sadly though, this game had so much potential back when the old developers were doing it and it just seemed like a great overall game but now.. i'm not so sure.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Matin61Matin61 Member Posts: 63

I checked one item that really makes a difference to me.  I always check to see if solo will be an option.  According to what I've read, this can be done.  Not that being in a fellowship won't offer some advantages.  Now, Turbine did once upon a time make AC and I loved that game.  If they can get back to the original magic, I might be interested.

I have learned something over time.  Having the big name license and all the prepared content won't save a game from bad design.  I have not seen anything in the design of LOTRO that makes me think I would not play.  Of the fantasy MMORPGs in development, this might be the one that interests me most.  However, I base this on the little I have read so far.

Even though my first love was AC1, Turbine managed to destroy any good will I ever had for the company.  Therefore, they are back to square one.  I'm willing to give them a chance, but I want to see those design elements that work for me.  So far, so good.

Captain John Matin
    Royal Red

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Too little has been reported about this game for me to comment on the mechanics of it. However, I had an idea it will flop based on two things...

video clip - anyone seen the recent video trailer ? Bleh, it looks just terrible and shows the game's combat system isnt even close to being finished yet. Just a bunch of screenshots imposed with some video to give you an idea of what to expect.

Delays - good grief  this game has been delayed so often and it still isnt even in beta yet. The game has already gone through one makeover...ie Middle Earth Online to LOTR. And there is no end in site, beta hasnt started so I seriously doubt a december release is possible.

I love the lore of the books so without a doubt I will buy this game but Im not expecting much

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

If i remember right turbine has always been the developer of the game, with uvidia ( can't remember how to spell it) holding the license. Turbine bought the license from them cutting out someone else haveing control over what happens. They made changes to the game and basically started over. We have no idea how far along they are in developement, which i think will change when E3 comes out.

Everyone thinks they can predict the future and say for a fact what will happen. Grow up you can't even predict what will happen in your owne life in the next 10 mins.

imageimage

• katarn0katarn0 Member Posts: 3
    This is actually the third face it has had.  Originally it was being developed by Sierra and published by Vivendi Universal, Vivendi then gave it to Turbine while still being the publisher, and finally Vivendi sold all their Lord of the Rings rights and Turbine got the MMO rights.  It may not be in beta, but it has been in development for a while and I wouldn't be surprised if beta is announced around E3.  The only way I see this flopping is if they don't stick to the lore at all.  Once they decide to make it simple for everyone and there is no longer a story to play in.  And as Grindalyx said, we have to wait and see cause we can't predict the future.

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471

okay this article just shows how clueless these people are...
    LoTRO competing with WoW. Reality check imo.

click me

(and no, im not WoW fanboi)

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

I think that this is  just a big troll thread and people who are saying this game will flop when it's not even in beta are the biggest pieces of crap on this site. Get a ****ing life you friggin hermits. Go into off topic and talk about how much it sucks to live in your parents garage, at least it's something you have a damn clue about.

/rant

• bigbenzbigbenz Member Posts: 82
    Yea your right. The game is said to be alot like DDO. Its gonna be a flop. I think the days of  DEVS making a shitty game and pulling in a ton of money is almost over.

bars+girls+no condoms= babies

i find it funny that someone with 3,6k posts in these forums calls someone else a no-lifer... go out more.
    These forums are for discussion of different games and their design. Grow up kid.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156
    As much as I am a fan of the Lord Of  The Rings mythos, I am very much less of a fan of Turbine.  What they did to the D&D license in DDO should be a crime.  I very much fear they will do the same thing to LotRO: shove it out the door in early Alpha/Prototype stage to make a quick buck of the unsuspecting public.  Well, fool me once, shame on you (Turbine); fool me twice, shame on me.  I will not be purchasing LotRO until I have had a chance to read reviews and puruse the Forums to get a feel for what they have done.  I simply don't trust Turbine after DDO.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by paade
    i find it funny that someone with 3,6k posts in these forums calls someone else a no-lifer... go out more.
    These forums are for discussion of different games and their design. Grow up kid.

I post while I'm trapped at work, what's your excuse? I enjoy discussion, what I don't enjoy are asstards posting about how a game that isn't even in beta yet is going to be a flop. It's just stupid and since when did these boards become 99% negative trolls? And all of them with under 100 posts. Negative people suck ass.

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

I've been waiting a long time for LOTR.  I am concerned that so little is settled development wise for as long as it has been in the works.  Maybe now DDO is out the door more time will be spent on LOTR.

I love Middle Earth though, and like Star Wars, I want to walk through that world.  It will have to be pretty awful for me not to try it.

I tried DDO pretty briefly.  If it were not so claustrophobic and there were multiple methods for advancement, it would have been ok.  Graphics and sound were well done (ambient sound). The "narrator voice" was pretty intrusive to immersion.

I don't think too highly of the integrated voice chat in a medieval fantasy environment.  The real world chatter doesn't suit the world.  In a Rainbox Six environment or Deus Ex as an mmorpg...maybe.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by Athela

I love Middle Earth though, and like Star Wars, I want to walk through that world.  It will have to be pretty awful for me not to try it.

IT would be in Turbines best interest to not have an open beta for LOTR just to sell more boxes. No matter how it is a lot of people are going to be bitter over DDO and if they do an open beta and even those who support turbine dislike it they will be in deep.

3 non-successes in a row would be bad for Turbine's future. (DDO may not be a failure, but it sure isn't a success so far)

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Said it before ,say it again.2 huge licences given to turbine and they already messed up one badly.

They moaned about their time with M$ but got 2 of the biggest licences in games.

Their claim to fame was AC1 a game which at its peak saw barely 100k customers.

Other mmorpg to their credit-AC2 a bad flop and CLOSED.D&DO leaking customers by the minute .

Now i really hope they do not mess up LOTR as this has potential of easily hitting the prestigous 500k mark with no difficulty.In short,to really mess this up with such a beautiful licence will be a crime.

It has a cult following since the days the books were launched,EQ1 was founded on it ,the movies(unlike the matrix last 2 movies) will be remembered as classics in everyone's mind.

Turbine is sitting on a big goldmine and if this game fails they deserve to go broke.

• KontraKontra Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by admriker444
    I love the lore of the books so without a doubt I will buy this game but Im not expecting much

Same here. I like the books and movie so I will try this out but the whole "no magic" thing sounds disappointing. I know they want to stay true to the realm of Middle Earth...but sometimes things can be TOO realalistic.

But yeah, more than likely this will  be a flop. Its been too long after the hype of the movies and D&DO's failure puts Turbine on shaky ground with gamers.

• shayalynshayalyn Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Kontra

Originally posted by admriker444
    I love the lore of the books so without a doubt I will buy this game but Im not expecting much Same here. I like the books and movie so I will try this out but the whole "no magic" thing sounds disappointing. I know they want to stay true to the realm of Middle Earth...but sometimes things can be TOO realalistic.
    But yeah, more than likely this will be a flop. Its been too long after the hype of the movies and D&DO's failure puts Turbine on shaky ground with gamers.

It's not so much "no magic" as "subtle magic." I'm also very interested to see how Turbine pulls this off. People have grown accustomed to glittery spell effects and blazing orange fireballs. And yet, you look at historical games like Pirates of the Burning Sea, and that game looks pretty compelling without all the magical bells and whistles. It'll be a new take on fantasy MMOGs, for sure, but it doesn't necessarily mean the game will flop. In fact, I'd think the hardcore LOTRO lore people would be pretty upset if the game contained a lot of visible magic.

I wouldn't necessarily label DDO a failure, though. I think the game failed to meet certain people's expectations, but it certainly worked out just fine for others. It's all a matter of perspective.

.: Shayalyn :.
    PR & Community Relations
    Ten Ton Hammer

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Originally posted by anarchyart

I think that this is  just a big troll thread and people who are saying this game will flop when it's not even in beta are the biggest pieces of crap on this site. Get a ****ing life you friggin hermits. Go into off topic and talk about how much it sucks to live in your parents garage, at least it's something you have a damn clue about.
    /rant

Expect a told you so in a years time ;)... honestly, do you have any hope for this game? I really want it to be good but the expectations of holding such a license... turbine just won't pull it off.

Also for the record, i'm a huge fan of the book (the movies were great but so many vital stuff was changed around bought it down for me as a hardcore fan) and i'm honestly dreading this, it's just going to be another game licensed which will bring the IP down. Still, I doubt they can be as off as EA have been with their games.. dear god.

• franksalbefranksalbe Member Posts: 228

I appreciate the books tolkien has written. I haveto this date read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth, and The Book of Lost Tales.
    I for one hold hope that the game is developed well and fun.  But certain problems do come in when creating a piece of work based on another persons work.
    1. Accuracy in interpretation. This is a big factor in LOTRO development. Taken a work like LOTR and making it into a movie  work well because all the elements are there. You have endearing characters, a very vivid world, and a good story with a beginning, middle, and ending. The problem with trying to then take that information and making into an open end game such as MMOG are structured is that MMOG are design to technically never end persay. Turbine put them selves in a bind when they decide to base the game in the same era that the LOTR occurred. Star Wars Galaxies attempted to do the same thing and restricting yourself to a tightly pre created concept puts a virtual choke on your development team to create content for the game. The developer has to adhere to the pre-created concept of what the game should and what content can be added based on these premises. They cannot go ahead and create their own Epic style content because it cannot destroy the pre-created situation that game is envolped in.
    Basically they cannot add content that in the end changes any of the major arch story line. Frodo cannot die, Gandalf and the other wizards are the most powerful magic users  and so on.
    2. Gamers anticipation. So your decide to create a LOTRO game great. Your base the game on the time frame that LOTR took place great. What is one of the first things gamers will like to experience interaction with the LOTR main characters of course. You want to be in the battles that they were in. That is  great and all but there in lies the problem.  You want to be in the battles but the outcome of the battles cannot be changed because then you tread into problem 1. You go to LOTRO site and you find in the forum numerous threads about this very issue.

I will cut my self short here as I am about to leave work. Will LOTR be a great game time will only tell.  Do I worry about the game yes here are some of my worries
    1. Game content will be limited. Once you have reached the highest achievements in the game there will not much further to go from there. Have been even thought about the fact that this game will not be ease to expand on. The possibility of a backlash by trying to add new content to the game that doesnt hold true to the books is high and could get ugly
    2. Characterization. The book blends the various so called "classes" that a  player can play. Such so that making "class" specification in the game an injustice. This hold very true to the humans as the warrior classes only by a vary small set of skills.
    To be continued

Faranthil Tanathalos
    EverQuest 1 - Ranger
    Star Wars Galaxies - Master Ranger
    Everquest2 - Ranger WarhammerOnline - Shadow Warrior
    WOW - Hunter

That's right I like bows and arrows.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

I post while I'm trapped at work, what's your excuse? I enjoy discussion, what I don't enjoy are asstards posting about how a game that isn't even in beta yet is going to be a flop. It's just stupid and since when did these boards become 99% negative trolls? And all of them with under 100 posts. Negative people suck ass.

Thanks, fancy having a check on my forum posts? Also I admit, I am trolling but i'm venting out frustration towards turbine because just about everything i've read, seen or watched on this game has left me extremely discouraged.

I see alot of valid concerns here, being that we no little about the game and that being human when we know little about something we speculate and assume what it meens. Just recently an interview has revealed that there will be 9 crafting perfessions in this game and that you can master all of them and when you master one you can then learn a master perfession.

Yess this game has been in developement for a long time. It has changed has several times, has gone thru changes that alot of people have given up on the game over. Still there is a great following and those who are sticking to following this game are liking what they are seeing. The official forums bare that out. Yes i am a member of the official forums.

Content is not a problem. The initial release of the game is called shadow of angmar for a reason. The main story line centers around the growing threat coming from angmar. This is the threat that we as players will confront and destroy. The epic story line (the books) takes place also. We will be able to meet with the fellowships at certain points, recieve quests, upon completing the quests the persistent world will change for us, thru layered instances. I am not exactly sure how this will work but i am looking forward to finding out. There is so much of middle earth that is just hinted upon in the books by tolkien that leave the developers room to create content that fits the lore.

In the end it all comes down to us haveing to wait. We are frustrated, we wanted this game years ago. But we don't pay the bills, we don't decide what is to be in the game and what isn't. This game is not being rushed out to make a quick buck if it was it would of been out years ago.

I reserve my decision until the game is in beta at least or launches. Yes i will buy it and play it, being a hardcore tolkien fan. It is in my blood, wether the game ends up sucking or is a huge success don't matter at this point in time.

imageimage

• BroughdenBroughden Member Posts: 19

You're right its not even in Beta yet...and THAT's the problem! Turbine themselves have committed to releasing the game in November in order to grab the Christmas. They have NO publisher to blame this time either. No one but themselves.

They have a TOTAL 6-7 months to do alpha, beta AND make any changes they need to before production. Does that sound like a company committed to quality or a game you want to play?

[Turbine]: Sorry guys and gals but we had to leave the Hobbit race out in order to get the fat Christmas lewt! We will add them in a future expansion sometime next year.

As far as we know alpha has been going on for sometime, The game is 80%  complete as mentioned by the exec producer in an interview so beta can't be to far off.

I like to know how you know all of this considering how tight lipped they are about everything. Until you can give me some actual facts about it i will assume it is wild speculation on your part.

imageimage

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

"The next big name license flop!" Damn I missed the launch of this one? Here I thought I was following the developement pretty closely.

Great headline for your post, you should work for the New York Times.

wtf?? i heard theres instant travel now included? Only they dont call it teleportation, its like you walk into a stable and then you can telep... oops sorry 'bout that, i mean then you can "ride" to places youve previously visited and its instant.

So fanbois, how does this go with the lore? I mean good heavens if they had pvp (those mindless orkz lol), that wouldnt fit into lotro at all but this, this is something that obviously isnt against lore in any way.

I am AMAZED if Turbine still exists after 2 or so years.

• BroughdenBroughden Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Grindalyx

As far as we know alpha has been going on for sometime, The game is 80%  complete as mentioned by the exec producer in an interview so beta can't be to far off.
    I like to know how you know all of this considering how tight lipped they are about everything. Until you can give me some actual facts about it i will assume it is wild speculation on your part.

Wrong! Not as far as we know. They PUBLICLY stated in interviews over the past TWO WEEKS (one of which has been posted in this forum) that they JUST entered PRE-ALPHA!!!

Jesus do a freaking web search for interviews with the development team by other game sites and industry news sources. No, Im not going to do the work for you. Do you want me to hold your hand when you cross the street as well?

Dude chill out, i read the article and yes i do remember them saying that now. So i made a mistake. I do keep up on the game and i do alot of other things also so i don't always remember everything i am human. Also i don't attack you or anyone else in here so don't attack me. I try to have a civil discussion about things, sometimes i get a little hot under the collar but i don't personally attack people. I also admit when i am wrong and this is one of the times.

imageimage