Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casual MMO?

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
Greetings!

So I've been trying to find a casual MMO for me to play. Life is starting to become more hectic and I don't have the time like I usually did to sit and spend my hours on end gaming. Mostly looking at something that is either B2P or F2P right now.. I don't really feel like I would get my money worth paying a sub fee. I'm mostly into PvP more over PvE  the games I was considering was either Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online. 

Just looking for a game where I can sign on play for a hour or two maybe more a night and sign right back off and not really feel like I'm left behind.  Granted I know I won't be able to keep up competitive speaking and that's fine with me. What I'm mostly looking for is action combat, crafting, easy to jump in and go.  Not pay to win of course. A decent player base. 

Thanks!

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Greetings!

So I've been trying to find a casual MMO for me to play. Life is starting to become more hectic and I don't have the time like I usually did to sit and spend my hours on end gaming. Mostly looking at something that is either B2P or F2P right now.. I don't really feel like I would get my money worth paying a sub fee. I'm mostly into PvP more over PvE  the games I was considering was either Guild Wars 2 or Elder Scrolls Online. 

Just looking for a game where I can sign on play for a hour or two maybe more a night and sign right back off and not really feel like I'm left behind.  Granted I know I won't be able to keep up competitive speaking and that's fine with me. What I'm mostly looking for is action combat, crafting, easy to jump in and go.  Not pay to win of course. A decent player base. 

Thanks!
    You might be better off playing a third person moba or something since it pretty much accomplishes the same goal without the excess leveling. Smite is a pretty good choice and some say Paragon isn't bad. Plenty of shooters too on the market like Overwatch/Paladins which have similar rule sets to mobas.
    Truvidien88
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
     The Secret World Legends or whatever its called maybe?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    If I was pressed for time, I'd go for something more instantly gratifying that is less like an MMO but has enough depth for when you do have time for a long gaming session.

Something like.. Warframe, Path of Exile, The Division, Defiance or Destiny.

Like @Albatroes said though, MOBAs are where your kind of people are these days.

Guild Wars 2 could work for you if you stick to sPvP and you'll be competitive from day 1 since it's a level playing field. Plus, you've got a massive game at your fingertips if you find yourself with more time one day.
    Truvidien88
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I would think that an MMO is not really good for casual (short sessions, with time, days to weeks between them).  Single player would be better.  One can pause the game when real life interrupts, also.  :)

Torchlight, the first one, just might be ideal. Somehow the game feels like an MMO at times, despite being single-player. Don't play if you've got carpal tunnel, though.
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    If you are into crafting, I might recommend Elder Scrolls Online.  I usually just run around and open chests, find resources and look for runes.  Occasionally I do a quest, LOL.

BDO is another one that can be played casually, I have a toon stuck at level 49 so no PVP and I tame and breed horses, work my farms and just focus on making gold.  I only jump in two or three times a week, sometimes just to farm my plots.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    edited November 2017
    Talonsin said:
    If you are into crafting, I might recommend Elder Scrolls Online.  I usually just run around and open chests, find resources and look for runes.  Occasionally I do a quest, LOL.

BDO is another one that can be played casually, I have a toon stuck at level 49 so no PVP and I tame and breed horses, work my farms and just focus on making gold.  I only jump in two or three times a week, sometimes just to farm my plots.

Can you get any of the gear that's on the cash shop by playing the game or is it purchasable by $$ only? 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Can you get any of the gear that's on the cash shop by playing the game or is it purchasable by $$ only? 

Depends on what gear you're talking about. ESO has a lot of costumes that are earned in the game. The cash shop costumes are just in the cash shop. But that's all cosmetic.

The important gear that increases your power is 100% in-game only.

If you're thinking of buying the ESO-Morrowind edition is on sale everywhere (including direct from ESO) for 1/2 price at the moment. And If you have Morrowind and log in before the 26th, you get a free mount that would normally be a cash shop purchase or 10K gold in the game.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Iselin said:

Depends on what gear you're talking about. ESO has a lot of costumes that are earned in the game. The cash shop costumes are just in the cash shop. But that's all cosmetic.

If you're thinking of buying the ESO-Morrowind edition is on sale everywhere (including direct from ESO) for 1/2 price at the moment. And If you have Morrowind and log in before the 26th, you get a free mount that would normally be a cash shop purchase or 10K gold in the game.

Oh ok. Thank you. I was actually looking at the specials they have going on right now and was seeing if I should grab it or wait for a Christmas sale. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

Oh ok. Thank you. I was actually looking at the specials they have going on right now and was seeing if I should grab it or wait for a Christmas sale. 
    Not likely to go cheaper this year. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2017
    Just pick one most all MMOs are pretty casual experiences now , particularly the 2 you pointed out in your op..

But of those 2 ESO is a far superior MMORPG imo

And to add GW2 WvW is a horrible joke of blobs chasing eeach other back and forth like 2 spastic ballerinas seeing who will slip up and be caught up in NEcro/Ranger AOES first ..

ESO Cyrodill  , is a much better experience