Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing a processor and motherboard? Building a new PC.

ecinevecinev Member UncommonPosts: 27
Hello,

I´m building a new PC, I need to buy a new processor, motherboard, ram sticks, mouse, keyboard, headset. I got around $1100 to spend in amazon.

I´m not sure what I would get yet. I hope you guys can help me with some suggestions, thanks.

idelisca

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Is this supposed to be an upgrade to an older system or something?  A computer won't work without storage and a power supply, for example.  If it's an upgrade, what other hardware do you have?

Also, why Amazon in particular?  Your user info makes it look like you're in Venezuela, so is this an issue of who will ship to you?  And is that $1100 in US dollars or some other currency?

Is this intended as a gaming computer?
    MrMelGibsonidelisca
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    We need more info, basically the stuff Quizzical asked.  I mean to suggest the motherboard we have to know if you already have a case to know what will work.  Stuff like that.  Also if this is a gaming rig it will have to be low end because the newer gpu cost a ton these days unless you get one a couple gens back.  Noticed you didn't say what gpu so that would be something else also.  Anyway get back with us with more details.  There are tons of gamers on here that build rigs all the time.
    idelisca
  • ecinevecinev Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Okay, well I have the money in amazon that´s why only amazon.

Im trying to upgrade my old PC because my motherboard died, I will keep my graphic card (GTX 970) and power supply (EVGA 700W bronze), not sure If I should keep my ram sticks DDR3, I have 3x sticks 2k and 1x stick 4k.

I love playing mmorpgs and mobas, then you can get an idea about what I want. I don´t care much about the headset if i can´t get it that´s fine, my keyboard and mouse are really old I would to get something new.

Thanks!! I hope I can get some help.
    Where is everyone? :(
    idelisca
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    ecinev said:
    Where is everyone? :(
    Likely Thanksgiving festivities.  I'm sure @Quizzical will reply eventually.  He loves to share his knowledge about hardware.  And he has quite a bit to share! :+1:
    MrMelGibson

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    What processor do you have? If it's still decent you could just get another motherboard to replace the one that got broken. You'd save a lot of money.

A modern processor will require DDR4 memory, so you really should replace the memory just on that basis.

For $1100 while only needing a few components, and not a video card, you're not really budget limited.  For the CPU, you could readily justify a Core i7-8700K with a Z370 motherboard or a Ryzen 7 1700X or 1800X with an X370 or B350 motherboard.  The Intel approach there will cost more money, and it gets you six faster cores, while AMD gets you eight slower cores.  The difference in per-core performance isn't enormous, though, so AMD will tend to be faster in situations that put all of the cores to good use.

For memory, you want DDR4, and either 16 GB or 32 GB, preferably as a kit with exactly two modules in it.  If you go with AMD for the CPU, you may wish to look for memory that specifically says it supports Ryzen.  If you don't, you might end up with memory that works only at reduced clock speeds.  Ryzen memory support has gotten much better since launch, but it's not to the point that you can just drop in arbitrary memory and expect it to work at the rated clock speed.

A keyboard, mouse, and headset are largely a matter of opinion.  For input devices, what matters is not whether it scores well in some review, but how comfortable it is for you to use and how easily you can get it to do what you want.  If you can try things in a local store or that a friend already has, that can help.

I do recommend using a wired laser mouse and a wired keyboard if that's practical for you, as wireless creates a bunch of extra opportunities for things to go wrong in ways that wired devices are completely immune to.  Wired is also cheaper.
    GdemamiMadFrenchiek61977MrMelGibsoncjmarsh[Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    If you are keepping GTX 970, there is no point spending 1k on the rest of the rig...
    MadFrenchie
    Thanks everyone!
    ecinev, I'm going to reply to your private message here because private messages are a pain and I can easily miss them for days.

The motherboard you have is a standard ATX motherboard.  If that fits in your case (and it will fit in most reasonable gaming cases), then just about any motherboard will fit just fine in your case.

You seem to be looking for someone to pick exact parts for you, not just higher level advice on what is reasonable.  So here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-1800X-Processor-YD180XBCAEWOF/dp/B075M3R1NT/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511490574&sr=1-3&keywords=1700X&th=1
    https://www.amazon.com/Mushkin-REDLINE-PC4-21300-Dual-Channel-MRA4U266GHHF8GX2/dp/B01LZYQNNZ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1511490758&sr=8-6&keywords=ryzen+ddr4+ram&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin:677429011

There are other options that are also reasonable, but I just picked something.  That gets you AMD's top of the line mainstream (i.e., not Threadripper) consumer CPU, a plenty nice motherboard, and 16 GB of 2666 MHz memory that explicitly says it supports Ryzen for $605.  That leaves plenty of space in the budget for a keyboard, mouse, and headset--and there's no need to spend the full $1100.

As for keeping your old video card, a GTX 970 might seem out of place in a newer, higher end gaming rig.  But you can keep your old video card until it either dies or you decide it's too slow and it's time to upgrade.  Depending on what games you play and what settings you push, you might decide it's too slow next week, or that might be a few years away--by which time there will be new video cards on the market much better than anything you could get today.

If you had a GTX 970 in your old rig, then it shouldn't have been too old, unless that was itself an upgrade.  Your motherboard is much older, though, which makes me suspect that the video card was an upgrade to a previous system.  If your power supply and storage already have 5+ years of wear on them, then you might want to replace them rather than waiting for them to abruptly die on you.

Also, if you don't already have an SSD, then you should get one.  Because a computer without an SSD is slow, no matter what else it has.

As for Windows, changing the motherboard commonly invalidates the old license, as Microsoft regards it as a new computer.  You could argue that the reason you replaced the motherboard is that the old one died, and Microsoft would probably let you reuse the old license--if you stay with Windows 7.

You should be aware that Windows 7 will reach the end of its support early in 2020.  At that point, any further exploits that are found won't be fixed, so you don't want to use Windows 7 past that date.
    Gdemami
    Okay, thank you. are there ram sticks 3200+ MHz for ryzen?
    Also thinking to get a new harddisk, suggestions? is the samsung evo good enough? 
    Ryzen only supports memory up to 2666 MHz.  You can clock it higher if you want to, but you should be aware that it's a form of overclocking with all that that entails.

These days, the bad old SSDs are long gone and off the market.  So you can get whatever and be fine on performance.  The important SSD characteristics are price, capacity, and reliability.  Reliability is difficult to gauge, unfortunately.
    Okay, Can you please give me more options for memory? Thank you  :)
    edited November 2017
    Ryzen 7 is utter waste of money....

Viable choice of CPU is:
    G4600 -> i3-8100 -> R5/i5-8400 -> i8-7000

Unless you are building ie. video edition workstation for professional use, there is no use for R7 amount cores. You will barely make use of 4/8 or 6 cores CPUs.

Your budget should be rather spent on components that actually do improve your experience.

Now I noticed that recommended bundle...don't be that guy...
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    k61977holdenfive
    Okay,so I was thinking to get this:

Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
    Memory Ram FlareX 3200 Mhz 14 CL 16GB
    SDD Samsung 500 EVO
    MOBO GBITE X370

Thoughts?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    For the memory is that 4x4GB or 2x8GB? I would go with the 2x8gb.
    Which 500GB Samsung EVO are you talking about and is it an M.2 drive? I would also consider the WD Black as it's more economical at a slight hit to transfer speeds.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MR4VOBZ/ref=dp_cerb_3
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    if you are keeping the GPU, no point in even building anything new.
    GdemamiAsm0deus
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    ianicus said:
    if you are keeping the GPU, no point in even building anything new.
    The point in getting new parts is that at least one old part died.  If he doesn't get anything new, he doesn't have a working computer.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The GSkill FlareX were purpose built for AM4 systems. AMD has made several base bios adjustments to support most memory now. Still if you want the best chance at hitting 3200mhz, it will be with the GSkill FlareX running 2 dimms
    The main limiting factor will be the silicone lottery. The first batch of Ryzen CPUs are known to not reach peak overclocks. Subsequent batches should have a better chance.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited November 2017
    Gdemami said:
    Ryzen 7 is utter waste of money....

Viable choice of CPU is:
    G4600 -> i3-8100 -> R5/i5-8400 -> i8-7000

Unless you are building ie. video edition workstation for professional use, there is no use for R7 amount cores. You will barely make use of 4/8 or 6 cores CPUs.

Your budget should be rather spent on components that actually do improve your experience.

Now I noticed that recommended bundle...don't be that guy...
    Nonsense.  Nothing wrong with Ryzen, certainly runs cooler than the Intel cpus and heat kills any electronics eventually.  Secondly the speed difference between Intel and Ryzen is minimal.  My builds are running 2 to 1 Ryzen lately and many of those people are gamers.  Third the Intel solution is definitely more expensive.

Most gamers I know run multiple programs with a game so the more cores the better.
    Asm0deusGdemami
    Thank you guys!! :)
    edited November 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    Nonsense.  Nothing wrong with Ryzen, certainly runs cooler than the Intel cpus and heat kills any electronics eventually.  Secondly the speed difference between Intel and Ryzen is minimal.  My builds are running 2 to 1 Ryzen lately and many of those people are gamers.  Third the Intel solution is definitely more expensive.

Most gamers I know run multiple programs with a game so the more cores the better.
    Calm your AMD tits down...

In some tests, Coffee lake seems to run a bit hotter, in others it is vice versa. Even if I give you benefit of the doubt, the diference compared to Ryzen is like 10W so no big deal.

Ryzen loses performance in games big, luckily for AMD, games are gpu bound so you won't notice most of the time.

Unless you go with Ryzen + lower clocked memory, they cost about the same. Once lower tier boards get released, 8400 will flat win performance per dollar.

Never said there is anything wrong with Ryzen 5, it fills spot between i3 and i7....for now.

For Ryzen 7, still applies what I said above.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    holdenfive