Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Classic – Quality of Life - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Torval said:
    The community voted, well 32k people, and they have very little interest in group finders for vanilla. I'm surprised you didn't even reference this poll.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc64CYad2GpAVvH6yEl-mLd2NBlCnKeIASA8mTrRwjJQ5usDw/viewanalytics

My opinion is that nothing should be changed unless 75%+ of players support it.

Well more than 75% of the players wanting something is how it got changed to its current state. Design by democracy is typically a horrible approach that opens up all sorts of unanticipated side effects and consequences. Users think they want systems they don't and don't end up using systems as envisioned or requested. The 75% that requested really didn't represent 75% of the players, but 75% of the players that voted because most people didn't want to vote.

A better approach would be to provide the classic experience with no grouping tools from the get go. If there ends up being an issue with players connecting or having a hard time forming groups, then add utilities to help them achieve those goals without changing the fundamental design of the game. If not then no development time or effort is wasted over it.

So in this case, if there is a problem, the developer should ask, What imaginative methods have players invented to help facilitate grouping? How could we bring that interface in the game to help facilitate grouping up?

Approaching the problem that way provides a solution the players are familiar with that doesn't actually change how people access group content (ie: no teleports to instances).

The point being there can be solutions to some problems that can work with and not against the core design. I don't think LFD changed the core design of the game but its design reflects a core shift in the game's design focus at the time. It's certainly possible to develop systems to help promote interaction and community and get people connected. Also no one solution is going to please everyone and I think success will depend on people choosing the battles appropriately and a willingness to see other views over issues. So far there has been more bitter division than there has been cooperation.
    People clamored for vanilla servers - not vanilla servers with lots of changes.

So yes, if you plan on making a major change to vanilla, it needs to be vetted against the community desires.

[Deleted User]
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Couple comments

1. They should release the latest patch 1.14(I think it was).
    2. They should fix bugs like summoning stones so they work.
    2.5. They need to fix scripts to work like macros from TBC.
    3. They should keep power close to the same as retail, even for weak/useless specs (starting out)... But...

After they have a legit reproduction of the 60 server running, they should keep that as its own thing for the diehards. THEN they should offer a character copy to another realm that would focus on bringing specs like Balance and Retribution within 10% dps of the nonhybrid dps specs like mage. Add in things like guild banks from TBC, and maybe fix some gear drops for some specs. Maybe address things like druid Healing touch rank 4 vs 5(the .5 second and heal scaling). Improved graphics.

They could decide where to go from there.

They boundaries to NOT CROSS for me are:

1. Mobs and quests need to be hard and require at least some grouping.

2. Absolutely no cross server tech. Almost certainly no RDF tech and porting to dungeons. I could see a more improved TBC style dungeon finder, potentially.

3. Absolutely no flying.
    [Deleted User]
  • triikortriikor Member UncommonPosts: 25
    In regards to this articles grouping comment. Vanilla WoW dungeon runs made players talk to each other and get us out in the world instead of sitting in org for a queue to pop.
  • ElshaugElshaug Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I remember sitting around a bonfire in IF around 3 at night drinking and spamming for 1 more for UBRS/LBRS 4manning the 10mans were fun <3
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    This smells like bait.
    [Deleted User]
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited November 2017
    tbh, I'm fine with whatever they choose to do with vanilla as long as we get the original game mechanics, i.e. talent trees, race specific classes, etc. 

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    "WE all played years ago" , "WE logged in the first night" , "WE hit lag" , "ALL of US old timers" , "ideas which might help ALL of US down the line." , "Group Finder system in a Classic WoW server should definitely make OUR lives better " , "This is something WE all hope they keep in the new system"

Dissociative identity disorder (DID), also known as multiple personality disorder (MPD),[1] is a mental disorder characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states.These states alternately show in a person's behavior, accompanied by memory impairment for important information not explained by ordinary forgetfulness.

I just feel sorry for you op,but dont get me wrong,if those QoL things helps all of your personalities you dont have to torture them anymore,play Legion WoW and heal ,it has everything you are asking for.

timtrack

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    no LFG tool, or least remove teleport to dungeon least.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    The only changes should be graphycs. I really don't think I can play 2004 graphycs anymore.

Everything else (minus bugs of course) should be as it was.....ABSOLUTELY no LFG/LFD ! Those functions and the instant teleport to the dungeon is what absolutely killed the living breathing mmo aspect of WoW for me. It just became a lobby game where you just wait for the Que to pop.....
    bcbully
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Torval said:

Tuor7 said:

I agree with the No LFG/LFR crowd. Having to look for people to create a PUG is what allowed you to meet new people in the game. Automating it took a chunk of the interactivity between players out of the game.

I also don't want to see cross-server stuff (battlegroups). Servers should be their own communities, where you learn who is good and who is not. This goes for both individuals and guilds.

I think all the bugs should be fixed, and I don't even mind if they use updated graphics and other modern under-the-hood things.

As it is, I'll wait and see until they formally introduce the gameplay and mechanics (rather than merely announce it) before I decide if Classic is something I want to try out or not.

Cross server battlegrounds were a vanilla feature. It wouldn't be vanilla without them.

It was added few months before TBC was launched, so you can hardly count it as a Vanilla feature.
    A lot of people don't want cross server, but I assume those people never played PvP on low pop server then. Playing vs only a single team for months till you get rank 14 wasn't the most exciting thing. When they added cross server it got really interesting.
  • KirtisKirtis Member UncommonPosts: 39

Vynt said:

When I read the OPs mention of LFG, I took it another way. I was thinking it referred to more of a way to show you are lfg or that your group is lfm, kind of like every other game has lol. It would be nice to be able to do a search and see what levels are lfg, then message them if they want a group.

Like how it is in EQ1 or even ffxiv (not the instant dungeon one, but just the group forming one). I know it is nice in EQ when I'm playing on a progression server and just have /lfg on, doing my own thing until I get a tell for a group. I was always surprised WoW never had something like that (that I remember).

You are not right - classic WoW always had "/WHO" system which does exactly what you described - shows what kind of players, which level, class, and even where they are. But then you need to contact them, offer the options to group, and find out if they are interested. And you need to be polite and decent as if you do it wrong, you might get ignored (ignored and blacklisted that is)- on other hand if you communicate the right way even if they are not available at that moment you'll most probably get your way through into friend list and have an ally for future. That's what makes Classic WoW really classic and builds up relations between players. That's how I found my first guild while running through Dead Mines at lev ~ 15, leveled up together and spend more than year in the Vanila WoW.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Most of the classic WoW servers that are running out there "illegally" are running patch 1.2.1, have no dungeon finders, have the old talent systems in place and the people playing those servers are the audience Blizzard are aiming at.

If they're happy with patch 1.2.1 that's probably the best starting point and then maybe look at fixing any major issues with class talents and bugs. Don't forget that these people are the ones who have made Blizzard realise that classic servers are something that has an appeal to a lot of their fans. They could do a lot worse than to use the same build that was used for Nostalrius.

Another worthless opinion thrown in the hat.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Most of the classic WoW servers that are running out there "illegally" are running patch 1.2.1, have no dungeon finders, have the old talent systems in place and the people playing those servers are the audience Blizzard are aiming at.

If they're happy with patch 1.2.1 that's probably the best starting point and then maybe look at fixing any major issues with class talents and bugs. Don't forget that these people are the ones who have made Blizzard realise that classic servers are something that has an appeal to a lot of their fans. They could do a lot worse than to use the same build that was used for Nostalrius.

Another worthless opinion thrown in the hat.
    you mean 1.12.1
    jmcdermottuk
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    edited November 2017
    I might play only if its free... else they could never get my attention back, ever.
  • DrewwhoDrewwho Member CommonPosts: 17

Gonna say something that will probably be unpopular.

A lack of LFG in itself won't bring back the great feeling we had back then. Yes, yes, those times are GONE, we really need to deal with this thing and learn to put what was in the past. How do I know it? Because i play other games that don't have LFG and you aren't making connections like you used to in WoW. Take Destiny 2 for example. You need a real group for the raid, no LFR. The "Heroic" Nightfall difficulty and the "Mythic" Prestige for dungeons also require you to go out of your way to find people, and there are LFG sites for it. You think people talk? Nope. You think you will meet the guy you did your weekly runs with again? Most probably not. People just want it done as fast and efficient as possible, get the rewards, check their milestones, go back to whatever things they might feel like doing.

The only way to actually talk to others and "have fun" is to find some guild/clan and go out of your way to be communicative and "funny" and get accepted in whatever inner circle they might have, and run your daily crap with them and spam their discord. Overdo it and you're forever be tagged a weirdo and rarely allowed in groups.

People have changed. Gone is the youthful desire to make friends. Gone is the naiveté. Gone is the natural openness. What is left is using others to accomplish goals, mostly. Now I'm sure some will come and say how in their X private server all is like Vanilla 2014, but I've seen how it is, things are NOT even close to Vanilla WoW or even BC. People are cautious and careful who they talk to nowadays, they are reclusive, the games are just some regular stuff they do, nothing special. WoW 2014 was special. It won't return. We must deal with that.

I don't think you can compare Destiny 2 to an mmo like WoW . The only mmo I know of that has a LFG tool admittedly but its almost never used is Lotro and its probably the most friendly community I have come across in any mmo .

Why do you think its a youthful desire to make friends ? I am 52 years old and I still like making friends in mmos and most of the ones I have made range from their mid 30's to mid 60's . Hardly youthful . I certainly haven't become anti-social as I got older although I may get in a grump a little more often than I used to lol .

I am not sure how these Vanilla servers will turn out . Most of the people I knew playing WoW back then I have lost contact with so it wont be the same of course but I am not expecting it to be . What I think will happen is it will initially be a lot of people like me returning who haven't played WoW in years ( best part of a decade for me actually other than a few welcome back offers ) and current player who are interested in seeing what WoW was like originally , some of these might enjoy the experience and stay but I think the challenge and difficulty of the Vanilla WoW will soon lose its interest for many of the younger players that are used to the ease of the current game .

Quite frankly if one subscription covers both Vanilla and Current versions of the game I fully intend to have a character on the current servers too if only to take part in the battlegrounds and arenas which I have also thoroughly enjoyed .

I certainly wont limit myself to the Vanilla experience even though it will be the main reason I return .
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    mazut said:
    I might play only if its free... else they could never get my attention back, ever.
    I'll definitely try it out if they even did the level up to 20 for free thing.  I played when the game first came out and that's about enough for me but would play for the memories.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Already stated by devs: "Classic will be classic". Saying that inconveniences were a part of the experience. They're just looking for information on what patch features that happened during Vanilla to put in the game at launch.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited November 2017
    "Raids

Do not change the 40 man raid, I repeat do not change the 40 man raid. This is one area that should not be changed at all. Part of the fun in classic Warcraft was trying to get through Molten Core and Blackwing Lair with a huge group
    ."

No, just no.

I was an officer during MC / BWL / AQ 40 / Naxxramas and i can tell you that the effort and logistics needed to bring and manage 40 man raids was a nightmare. Yes, we did it and had fun but this was 11 - 12 years ago. Now, 12 years older me and others have absolute no mood to do this all over again. 40 man raid rosters have a mostly negative impact on guild management as you need at least 50 - 55 active raiders. And you have to account for class balance as well. Way too time consuming and the vast majority of us simply do not have the time any more.

25 man raids is the sweet spot. You can enjoy the vanilla content without bloated guild rosters.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    Torval said:

Torval said:

Tuor7 said:

I agree with the No LFG/LFR crowd. Having to look for people to create a PUG is what allowed you to meet new people in the game. Automating it took a chunk of the interactivity between players out of the game.

I also don't want to see cross-server stuff (battlegroups). Servers should be their own communities, where you learn who is good and who is not. This goes for both individuals and guilds.

I think all the bugs should be fixed, and I don't even mind if they use updated graphics and other modern under-the-hood things.

As it is, I'll wait and see until they formally introduce the gameplay and mechanics (rather than merely announce it) before I decide if Classic is something I want to try out or not.

Cross server battlegrounds were a vanilla feature. It wouldn't be vanilla without them.

It was added few months before TBC was launched, so you can hardly count it as a Vanilla feature.
    A lot of people don't want cross server, but I assume those people never played PvP on low pop server then. Playing vs only a single team for months till you get rank 14 wasn't the most exciting thing. When they added cross server it got really interesting.

It was in patch 1.12, a vanilla patch. It was the last patch before BC, but it was still a vanilla patch the same as every one before it. There were two more bug/balance patches after 1.12 as well. BC patches start with 2.x.x. The cross realm dungeon finder wasn't published until BC.

The cross realm functionality was only for battlegrounds and not for dungeons or anything else.

I don't care either way but people are making points about the dungeon finder ruining the game but it didn't. Cross realm happened before the DF and instances before that. Instancing is more of a community killer than instant ports for your party, but I don't think people can be honest with themselves because then they don't have a bogeyman to blame for the shift in how people like to game.
    No need to go into a lot of detail I guess because we've had the discussion many times.  As much as you submit it's a Boogeyman, I think the experience today in WoW absolutely speaks for itself.  The finder is part of a design philosophy aimed at prioritizing incredible amounts of convenience over leveraging the value of the genre's only unique strengths.
    Avarix

• nightshadow1nightshadow1 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    The idea that people would run around trying to say that any changes would ruin the experience or the "Rule Set" is just asinine which mind you there is no rule set, the game is and always will be ever evolving regardless of what year you play the game in or if you even play at all. All this is doing is giving people the option to for once truly start over.

I honestly don't care about the majority of what they do as long as the class talents go back to that old system. They don't need to all be the same skills and passives at launch since a bunch of them were useless anyways just give us even more choices. And leave raids and pvp alone. Some changes are inevitable and the sooner everyone just accepts that and just be happy this is becoming a thing the better chance this has at success. There's no reason to jump down peoples throats or argue about it because they have an opinion everyone wants this to succeed changes are inevitable so lets try and find a better middle ground instead of just assuming its your way or no way because that's exactly how you end up getting nothing.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:

Torval said:

Tuor7 said:

It was in patch 1.12, a vanilla patch. It was the last patch before BC, but it was still a vanilla patch the same as every one before it. There were two more bug/balance patches after 1.12 as well. BC patches start with 2.x.x. The cross realm dungeon finder wasn't published until BC.

The cross realm functionality was only for battlegrounds and not for dungeons or anything else.

I don't care either way but people are making points about the dungeon finder ruining the game but it didn't. Cross realm happened before the DF and instances before that. Instancing is more of a community killer than instant ports for your party, but I don't think people can be honest with themselves because then they don't have a bogeyman to blame for the shift in how people like to game.
    To say DF killed the game (not sure what it means, game is still alive and well and doing much better than all of his younger relatives) or didn't. There are two ways to look at this:

A) Finding groups and people to play with was so frustrating. Hours were wasted to find a healer, or a replacement when someone left the group or was an awful player. These problems were real, and were quite annoying. In the long run, that could hurt the game much more. 

B) Yes it was annoying to find people. But during those waits, people conversed, they bounded, became friends. Since finding a good player took a lot of time, people kept more friends on their friends list, created small circles of trust. Since it was hard to find a replacement, people didn't kick party members making a slightest mistake, instead they taught them. 

I don't believe DF killed the community. But it also helped WoW to be less of a virtual world and more of a lobby game. But on the other hand, people were upset because they couldn't clear the contents. They did leave the game because of that. And DF helped a lot of people, improved their experience. So maybe without it, WoW would never have survived this long. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ElloaElloa Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited November 2017
    I'm sorry but a GROUP FINDER in Vanilla????
    The Dungeon Finder feature that Blizzard implemented in his game in the end of WOTLK is probably and arguably the biggest mistake done for the MMORPG community as a whole. It changed the way people interact with each other and greatly increased the "instant gratification feel" that is pleaguing and toxifying the whole genre!

If there is one feature I absolutely DO NOT WANT to see in Vanilla-WOW / Classic WOW is that Dungeon Finder ******** (imagine the most colorful insults in lieu of stars)

What I expect and hope from Classic server is to experience once more this COMMUNITY FEEL that happen when the players are encouraged to create bonds and groups to overcome challenges. To find a group is part of the challenge that made WOW so great back in the days. YES, it was challenging! YES; it was sometimes frustrating. Hence the need of a guild, a friendlist, forums and many other ways to find a group and enjoy thje Dungeon content! It was a real adventure!
    The Dungeon Finder killed the sense of community and the sense of server by offering a teleport button that allowed players to ignore each other, being rude, and selfish. (and complain if the Dungeon was taking more than 15 min)

You can't make a Classic WOW if you add all the ******* that have been added afterwards and destroyed for ever the original feel of a MMORPG!

Just my two cents :P

Kilrane
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Torval said:
    Elloa said:
    I'm sorry but a GROUP FINDER in Vanilla????
    The Dungeon Finder feature that Blizzard implemented in his game in the end of WOTLK is probably and arguably the biggest mistake done for the MMORPG community as a whole. It changed the way people interact with each other and greatly increased the "instant gratification feel" that is pleaguing and toxifying the whole genre!

If there is one feature I absolutely DO NOT WANT to see in Vanilla-WOW / Classic WOW is that Dungeon Finder ******** (imagine the most colorful insults in lieu of stars)

What I expect and hope from Classic server is to experience once more this COMMUNITY FEEL that happen when the players are encouraged to create bonds and groups to overcome challenges. To find a group is part of the challenge that made WOW so great back in the days. YES, it was challenging! YES; it was sometimes frustrating. Hence the need of a guild, a friendlist, forums and many other ways to find a group and enjoy thje Dungeon content! It was a real adventure!
    The Dungeon Finder killed the sense of community and the sense of server by offering a teleport button that allowed players to ignore each other, being rude, and selfish. (and complain if the Dungeon was taking more than 15 min)

You can't make a Classic WOW if you add all the ******* that have been added afterwards and destroyed for ever the original feel of a MMORPG!

Just my two cents :P

It wasn't at the end of Wrath. It was the first patch of BC.
    Dungeon finder was implemented in patch 3.3.0, so yeah, Elloa is correct.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeon_Finder
  • Psychos1sPsychos1s Member UncommonPosts: 191

Torval said:

There are new social tools within the Blizzard app that will let you connect with people easier than before. For one you can add someone to your Battle Net friends list and chat with them even when you're not in game. You can create and join social groups and chat like Discord. I don't get where people say Blizzard games are antisocial now. They're more social now than ever before. It's pretty cool.

I don't agree with this, the old battlenet was way more social than what it is now, you had various chat channels that people would hang around in talking, now the chat channel has been relegated to a tiny window at the bottom of your screen that's barely noticeable.

And the LFG tool completely killed social interactions regarding dungeons in WoW, as others have said when you had to take time to find members for a group you were less likely to kick them out unless they were completely useless. On top of that if you had people who were toxic they became known on the server and flat out wouldn't be invited to anything.
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

Torval said:

Sorry, but you're wrong. In the original WoW, there weren't any battlegrounds at all. Then they added WSG, AB, and AV. My server had a pretty high Alliance population versus the Horde, and as a result, the Horde usually got trounced in AV. So they stopped signing up for it, and a week or more would go by without an AV battleground starting. But when one did start, it would last for hours, sometimes for a day or two.

At any rate, there weren't any battlegroups back then. They started later in part to help even out the numbers between Alliance and Horde as well as to ensure that battles were fought more regularly.