Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Vrika said:
    The screenshot said it's before 20th December, not at 20th December.

But it's only another ETA in a long series of 3.0 ETAs that they've failed to keep.
    Fixed that bit oups.

Didn't the same thing happen to 2.4 or was it 2.6?  It ended up being long overdue and people were so upset that they released it in December when it wasn't really ready and did a few patches after that to fix the major problems and then focused on 3.0.
    I think it's like 2.6, they pushed it to release in December otherwise they would have to go to holiday break without it released.

But mind we are talking the PTU in this case, not its live release, but it's already decent enough if you don't get access at least the NDA lifts for streams and so forth.
    Octagon7711Odeezee
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    MaxBacon said:
    Vrika said:
    The screenshot said it's before 20th December, not at 20th December.

But it's only another ETA in a long series of 3.0 ETAs that they've failed to keep.
    Fixed that bit oups.

Didn't the same thing happen to 2.4 or was it 2.6?  It ended up being long overdue and people were so upset that they released it in December when it wasn't really ready and did a few patches after that to fix the major problems and then focused on 3.0.
    I think it's like 2.6, they pushed it to release in December otherwise they would have to go to holiday break without it released.

But mind we are talking the PTU in this case, not its live release, but it's already decent enough if you don't get access at least the NDA lifts for streams and so forth.
    Yeah, I always think of the PTU as live as anyone with a package can play and the 'P' is for persistent. :smile:

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited November 2017
    Alpha 3.0 is releasing to the PTU: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/expanding-star-citizen-alpha-3-0-ptu-testing

So they have decided to end Evocati early and open the PTU.
    Got my invite :) 
    ErillionBrenelael
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    It is amusing they release it unexpectedly right before their anniversary sale :)
    It is also strange that they are giving access to subscribers ahead of Concierge, they clearly want impatient people to pay so they can get in sooner.

Pleased to see they have managed to release 3.0 before the end of the year, lots of people were starting to wonder if next year was more likely.
    Odeezee
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    First 3.0 production schedule back in April: 63 days until PTU release
    Actual time till they release PTU: 223 days

They needed 3.5 times as much time as they originally thought.
    Odeezee

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

"Expanding Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 PTU Testing

Today at 5:16

Hi Everyone, We are ready for more stress testing on the latest Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 version, so we’d like to open up the PTU to more players. We will be publishing Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 to the PTU in stages for the following three groups — 1st Wave testers, Subscribers, and Concierge Members.

Tonight we are granting access to 1st Wave testers and going from one stage to the next will depend on server stability. You can follow the status of your group below.

To play Alpha 3.0, you must download and install the new PTU Launcher: https://install.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/RSI-Setup-1.0.0-ptu.25.exe. It features the Delta Patcher, which will drastically reduce the size of incremental game updates. You will also need to copy your account to the PTU. Here’s a refresher on how to do that:

1) Log on to the RSI website using your normal credentials.

2) Copy your account to the PTU by visiting the Settings section of your RSI account or going directly here https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/copy/ptu. Following this step, you should receive an email with your PTU-specific password.

3) Download the PTU Launcher.

4) Launch the installer exe and follow the instructions on screen.

5) Log in to the PTU Launcher using your login ID and the PTU-specific password received in the email.

6) Make sure the “Live” channel is selected under the Star Citizen logo and download the latest build.

7) Enjoy Alpha 3.0!

The goal of this initial PTU release is to increase our total player count in an effort test concurrency. We also need you to focus on testing the traversal system by quantum traveling, landing on moons, locating and visiting Levski, and just exploring the great expanse of space around Crusader.

Please note that the complete Alpha 3.0 experience is not in this build, as some features are still being implemented and refined. These features will be added to future builds when ready for wider testing.

Stage 1 - PTU 1st Wave: Invites sent

Stage 2 - Subscribers: Invites not sent

Stage 3 - Concierge: Invites not sent

Lastly, you are allowed to create content/stream with this patch.

Happy Testing"

We should see a LOT more fan videos starting now.

Have fun

edited November 2017
    Cotic said:
    It is amusing they release it unexpectedly right before their anniversary sale :)
    They delayed their anniversary so that it would coincide with PTU release.
    Odeezee

MaxBacon said:

Got my invite :) 

Same here :-)

Have fun
    edited November 2017
    Vrika said:

You mean ... the game that is not possible and will never be released ?

That will die in flames ... 90 days TOPS !   ( quote from 2015)

It maybe took longer, but its better that they take the time to get it right.

Its also a good idea IMHO to slowly increase the number of testers in waves to watch the behaviour of the system under stress load.

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

I thought this was a thread for discussing Alpha 3.0 production schedule.

Apologies if I got it wrong.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited November 2017
    I had reconciled release in 2018 for 3.0 PTU. Glad to be wrong :)

I should get in at Stage 2. Here's hoping we can get it stable before live.

Performance is supposed to have improved quite a bit - and they've already tested with 100 players.

This is before the object container streaming integration - so things are looking very good for performance in the future.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

Get what right?
    The game is riddled with bugs, has ridiculous network problems and has an appalling UI.
    Good thing they delayed this alpha release by almost a year to "GET IT RIGHT".
    Oh I forgot, it's still alpha... but they delayed the release to get it right anyway.. right?
    They got it right alright :)
    Odeezee

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

Get what right?
    The game is riddled with bugs, has ridiculous network problems and has an appalling UI.
    Oh I forgot, it's still alpha... but they delayed the release to get it right anyway.. right?
    Yes, it's very unusual for an alpha to have bugs :)

Not everyone can handle that great things take time - and often more time than one would want.

Whining about it endlessly, however, is a relatively exclusive activity reserved for the unhappy and sad people out there.
    ErillionOdeezee
    DKLond said:

Shocking, is it not ?  ;-)

For me it is an interesting look into how the sausage gets made w.r.t. gaming industry.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    DKLond said:

Shocking, is it not ?  ;-)

For me it is an interesting look into how the sausage gets made w.r.t. gaming industry.

Have fun
    Yes,  the most ambitious game of all time isn't bug-free after 3 years in full development.

It's a great surprise to all of us ;)

Personally, I would have preferred a closed development environment - because I'm spending WAY too much time following this and getting more and more impatient.

But I understand why they feel obligated to reveal all the aspects of development, and exposing their weaknesses in full view for the detractors to take advantage of.

Certainly a very brave thing to do - and it's certain to end up being the ultimate example of strong crowd-funding principles.
    Yeah considering the PTU still had over +150 Issues to fix before be pushed, they decided to expose the update before, now with the anniversary of the project.

It's also not feature-complete the mission givers for example (there are missions outside those btw), the beds have been a focus but the locations aren't persistent yet, and some other things.

Now it's updated after update as 3.0 gets more fleshed out, see if they can maintain the higher player pops as well the performance is better but still gets bad servers that rek u up.
    DKLond said:
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:
    Vrika said:

Get what right?

Not everyone can handle that great things take time - and often more time than one would want.

Whining about it endlessly, however, is a relatively exclusive activity reserved for the unhappy and sad people out there.
    Expecting something to be amazing just because they constantly delay it and never holding them accountable for the constant bullshit they spew, is an exclusive activity reserved for the SC white knight squad. Your badge is shining through my heavily tinted misery sunglasses :(

SlyLoKOdeezeeMaxBacon

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Expecting something to be amazing just because they constantly delay it and never holding them accountable for the constant bullshit they spew, is an exclusive activity reserved for the SC white knight squad. Your badge is shining through my heavily tinted misery sunglasses :(

You know ... you COULD watch all those fan videos appearing every minute now that show an Alpha 3.0 that is mostly working fine. 

Even through your "heavily tinted misery sunglasses".

Have fun
    Odeezee
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:

You know ... you COULD watch all those fan videos appearing every minute now that show an Alpha 3.0 that is mostly working fine. 

Even through your "heavily tinted misery sunglasses".

Have fun
    I've watched a few, which is why I've commented in such a way.

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Go ahead ... give us links ...

let us know the timestamps where you have observed game-breaking errors.

Have fun

PS:
    I can make great bug reports out of such videos. Thank you for your help !
    Erillion said:

Have fun

PS:
    Yeah, some will use bug reports to say "lol this is the gameplay", others will use them to actually get this stuff reported and contribute to this PTU phase.

It's earlier than what it was meant to be, but for anyone that endured through Alpha 2.0 PTU, this will go smoother.
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:

Have fun

PS:

Why are you thanking me before I've even given you the links?

But honestly I can't find a single video with game breaking bugs in SC alpha 3.0.
    I guess there aren't any. That's freaking amazing.

It must be my illogical hatred towards Star Citizen that made me think the game still has so many problems... because for some reason I dislike good games with good honest developers behind them who know what they are doing. By good games I mean the best game ever made.

Goons managed to photoshop this video and make it seem like the game is bugging:

https://clips.twitch.tv/JollyVibrantSparrowTBCheesePull

At least it's the only one on the internet so that's good.

..Cake..

edited November 2017
    Thank you for that video.

All the "bugs" are basically explained LIVE in the chat bar to the right as it happens by those watching the stream.

The twitch streamer was experiencing lag and the game was executing his commands from XX seconds ago.

That is why the Mobiglas is opening and closing several times (the streamer did not get immediate results so he send the command several times).

That is why his ship is executing a launch sequence (up and accelerate) - based on his previous commands.

Have fun

PS:
    >>>>>>>>>>>
    Why are you thanking me before I've even given you the links?
    >>>>>>>>>>>

Because i am a friendly person.

Because all your comments bump Star Citizen threads on mmorpg and help to increase the number of fans in the fan community.
    Erillion said:

Because all your comments bump Star Citizen threads on mmorpg and help to increase the number of fans in the fan community.
    Well I'm not as often posting on SC as you are (8k+ posts waozers!), but I try my best to share my opinion on the development of SC.
    If that gives notice to others as well, then all the better!

Chris needs to do a new one for 3.0.

Babuinix

..Cake..

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:

Well I'm not as often posting on SC as you are (8k+ posts waozers!), but I try my best to share my opinion on the development of SC.
    If that gives notice to others as well, then all the better!

Chris needs to do a new one for 3.0.

Thanks for the support. CIG and Star Citizen wouldn't have been possible without you guys!  :D
    Orinori