Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Credible Sources Saying MHO Closing Friday, Not December 31st After All - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMOR

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageCredible Sources Saying MHO Closing Friday, Not December 31st After All - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMORPG.com

Marvel Heroes Omega News - Massively is reporting that they have received a tip from a "credible former Gazillion employee" that told them that most, if not all, Gazillion developers have been let go, that the company has shuttered completely and that the game will cease operations on Friday, November 24th, not on December 31st as indicated in last week's announcement.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2017
    Well...can't say I'm surprised but...geez...banks and creditors sure know how to wish folks a Happy Thanksgiving. :|
    Octagon7711Jaedia883domMrMelGibsonGdemamiwingoodWraithonesschruppRobsolf

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The money is gone, the courts will decide who gets the remains.
    Wraithone

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I can only hope Disney goes after EA and swtor next.
    sayuuRidelynnScotty787RexKushmanzigalucardparpinLucexHuntrezz3domTokkenand 5 others.
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Dayum! And here I thought the 'City of Heroes' closure was sudden. Seems I've misjudged NCsoft.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    They just launched this on console not long ago, I wonder how many, if any are mad over this. Hope someone brings it back as I liked playing it in short bursts when I had nothing else to do.
    Octagon7711Tokkenwingood
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Hariken said:
    I can only hope Disney goes after EA and swtor next.

Swtor (and EA) still makes the Mouse gobs of money so. . . .
    HuntrezzMrMelGibson
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I can't play games without visual gear upgrades , its what turned me off to this game. I hated the way skins/costumes worked in this game. Always thought it would have been way cooler to make your own hero or villain and fight with or against those in the comic book. Dc universe gets its right imo
    MrMelGibson
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

I know a lot of people are upset and wanting refunds for their purchases in @MarvelHeroes, but please keep in mind the developers were not paid out PTO, severance, and our medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

— Andrew Hair (@andrewhair) November 22, 2017

Some people want refunds for the xp boosts they bought and used and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to pay for insulin. Just some perspective.

DaranarMrMelGibsonCryolitycalwingoodWraithone
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2017

SBFord said:

Well...can't say I'm surprised but...geez...banks and creditors sure know how to wish folks a Happy Thanksgiving. :|

It's much better to get this kind of information before Black Friday than after Black Friday. As awful as it must feel now, giving the information any later would have been a huge disservice.
    SBFordMrMelGibsonwingood

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Forgrimm said:

I know a lot of people are upset and wanting refunds for their purchases in @MarvelHeroes, but please keep in mind the developers were not paid out PTO, severance, and our medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

Some people want refunds for the xp boosts they bought and used and I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to pay for insulin. Just some perspective.

My sympathies go out to the developers. Some of the higher ups have a bad reputation, but TheDink and other lower end artists and developers were among the friendliest forum responders I've ever seen.

While Marvel Heroes desperately needed more content, I enjoyed my time with it greatly and I hope that the unfortunate former Gazillion employees find new work soon.
    AvarixOctagon7711MrMelGibsonStrizzy12WraithonesschruppRobsolf
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Forgrimm said:

Unless they're harassing him about it...  His posts are really kind of unnecessary.  Feel for the guy, but his predicament has nothing to do with folks requesting refunds.  He should look to Disney or his management for that....
    BruceYeeScotty787DakeruKylerandarkheartsXingbairongAlomarinfomatzSeelinnikoiFrankVLucasand 5 others.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    Too many people that need to be refunded means they can't even keep it open for one more month, maybe?  Keeping it open at this point would just be bleeding money that they need to pay the refunds.

Forgrimm said:

I know a lot of people are upset and wanting refunds for their purchases in @MarvelHeroes, but please keep in mind the developers were not paid out PTO, severance, and our medical insurance is ending in 8 days.

— Andrew Hair (@andrewhair) ;November 22, 2017

— Andrew Hair (@andrewhair) ;November 22, 2017
    Ouch :(  Guess that answers that.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited November 2017
    The reason it was so sudden is because Microsoft began refunding players that would call in, and according to some, they received refunds without calling and believe microsoft is auto-issuing refunds.  Playstation was not making refunds easy, but even in some cases people were getting refunds.  

The microsoft refunds were getting up there, some even received full refunds across the entirety of the time they played,  ranging in the hundreds.  
    MadFrenchielaseritAlomarMrMelGibsonwingoodwanderica

Yea, Microsoft players are reporting that customer service is promising them full refunds of EVERYTHING.  Which includes the founder's packs (which, given how frontloaded F2P MMORPG spending is especially with founders packs, is likely a LOT of refunded money).  Quite a few forum posters were reporting being refunded the thousands they spent.

They kinda deserve those refunds too, IMHO.  Even if it was six months ago, spending hundreds on an MMORPG only for it to die in half a year is pretty ridiculous.  Certainly all MMORPGs will die some day, but I imagine EVERYONE who spends on an F2P MMORPG expects their investments to last longer than six months of an MMORPG that was just launched.

Not that that makes things any easier for the poor Gazillion devs either though :(
    MadFrenchiemaskedweaselAlomarcalibekJeroKaneMrMelGibsonwingood
    I'm kind of wondering why Disney wouldn't allow them to at least attempt to continue with the license sans the terrible CEO guy..
    Seelinnikoi3dom

edited November 2017
    I'm kind of wondering why Disney wouldn't allow them to at least attempt to continue with the license sans the terrible CEO guy..
    It's unproven that they removed the license in the first place thanks to the CEO guy. Given that they removed the license instead of just removing the CEO guy, and that it's extremely clear and confirmed now that Gaz is in huge financial dire straights, it is highly more likely Disney revoked the license for financial reasons.  I read that lots of the recent investors for the console and for Gaz's upcoming VR game were brought on board by that "terrible CEO guy" too so I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out someone was doing some accounting fraud there and Disney finally found out, which could explain why they and the banks are so ruthless about revoking the license and everything else.
    MadFrenchiewingood
    Tiamat64 said:
    It's unproven that they removed the license in the first place thanks to the CEO guy. Given that they removed the license instead of just removing the CEO guy, and that it's extremely clear and confirmed now that Gaz is in huge financial dire straights, it is highly more likely Disney revoked the license for financial reasons.
    If so, it makes it a much more complicated situation.

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

Doesn't sound like it was entirely in Disney's control. They farmed out the license sure, but Gazillion was funded through microtransactions and creditors. Creditors were done supplying them with money, and the microtransactions were not near enough to keep the game up and running.

It doesn't sound like any of this had much to do with the CEO of Gaz, but instead all to do with the fact that the mismanagement of the game lead to it being a blackhole financially speaking.
    MadFrenchie
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I was going to give the game a good go before it closed as well...

I regretted never trying Firefall properly after that disappeared.
    jitter77
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Doesn't sound like it was entirely in Disney's control. They farmed out the license sure, but Gazillion was funded through microtransactions and creditors. Creditors were done supplying them with money, and the microtransactions were not near enough to keep the game up and running.

It doesn't sound like any of this had much to do with the CEO of Gaz, but instead all to do with the fact that the mismanagement of the game lead to it being a blackhole financially speaking.
    Mismanagement of a game comes down to the CEO though cause those interns that made up 4/5 of the company sure weren't making the important decisions. The game has been going down the tubes since Brevik left and players started leaving in droves with every update starting with hela nerfs. Blizz had the sense to get rid of their rotten apple Jay Wilson early'ish but this company wasn't as smart. This guy is worse than JW imo cause he literally took a good game and ran it into the ground.
    snakemason
  • AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160
    This whole thing makes me incredibly sad. Marvel Heroes was one of my favorite games to just pick up and play in random bursts. It will annoy me for no end for years and years if this game gets the license pulled and the crappy Star Wars games that exist don't.
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    edited November 2017
    DMKano said:
    Blizz, Riot, Trion, Zenimax are all hiring devs. Hope the Gazillion devs land on their feet fast
    I hope so too, there are definitely a few very talented people among the crew, theDink comes to mind.
    Post edited by Liljna on
    Avarixwingood
  • LexDominoLexDomino Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Honestly it feels like justice for me. The team behind this game are really incompetent when you have a problem. I got banned for no reason and lost my founders pack. Wrote a long report to Disney/Marvel about it. So basically kinda happy to see this company get their due. Those packs were not cheap.
    BruceYeeAlomarunfilteredJWcalibek
    LexDomino said:
    Honestly it feels like justice for me. The team behind this game are really incompetent when you have a problem. I got banned for no reason and lost my founders pack. Wrote a long report to Disney/Marvel about it. So basically kinda happy to see this company get their due. Those packs were not cheap.
    It was definately the fault of someone there (the CEO for sure, at the very least, and apparently customer service in your case) that Gaz was the piece of junk that it was.  It's just too bad that a lot of employees who really were competent and doing their best had to suffer, too.  TheDink's awesome models were a highlight of the game to me even after everything else long went down the tubes.
    wingood
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    As a MHO player i am bitter. I hope that the leadership has this failure hung on their neck. So no one buys into any project they are associated with in the future. This game is the benchmark on how not to run a game.