Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Belgium says loot boxes are gambling

PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    These greedy corporate types finally pushed things too far.

Sadly, the way things are here in the US, EA will probably pay a few politicians and loot boxes will still be the way of things here. 
    Slapshot1188
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2017
    Beautiful! US is also finally waking up for this, check out fresh news:

EA, Blizzard and friends are being stopped. Companies can't continue feeding gambling addictions on of games that are played by kids.
    TalonsinlaseritGdemamiAsm0deusWalkinGlennTillerFonclanemoSiugGorweand 2 others.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Nice find Max
    laserit
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    I suspected it would go this way when EA pulled their loot boxes.  I'm sure they had a feeling for what would happen before it was announced.

Now we will see how it's negotiated and what stays/goes.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Looks like the proverbial shit is hitting the fan ;)
    PhryYashaX

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,408
    laserit said:
    Looks like the proverbial shit is hitting the fan ;)
    It was about time it hit the fan too!
    SiugPhryOctagon7711

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    This is awesome. It's about damn time. Though I wonder if its so lucrative that they'll allow it for players 21 and over thru some sort of age verification. Don't put it past these crooked bastards to try and find away to keep their cash cow to continue.
    Asm0deusSiug
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "It's a trap"... indeed it is.
    YashaXOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    MaxBacon said:
    Beautiful! US is also finally waking up for this, check out fresh news:

EA, Blizzard and friends are being stopped. Companies can't continue feeding gambling addictions on of games that are played by kids.

So does this mean the collapse of the mobile market? There are so many of these models in mobile I wouldn't be surprised if this is a multi billion dollar decision.

oh! And since it's a multi billion dollar decision you know there will be a loophole or alternative monetization scheme. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    popcorn time
    anemoPhry
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

CrazKanuk said:
    So does this mean the collapse of the mobile market? There are so many of these models in mobile I wouldn't be surprised if this is a multi billion dollar decision.

oh! And since it's a multi billion dollar decision you know there will be a loophole or alternative monetization scheme. 
    Loot boxes type of monetization is heavy in the mobile market, but I think the mainstream monetization is buying things as lives/energy and boosters, but it will certainly have a bigger impact on mobile than it will have on PC.

But it would take deep jabs on Valve with CS Go and so.
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited November 2017
    Looks like Europe won't have any video games in the future, as the industry is moving towards loot boxes as a whole. 
    Asm0deusanemoSiug
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    Gymrat313 said:
    Looks like Europe won't have any video games in the future, as the industry is moving towards loot boxes as a whole. 
    And I'm sure someone will come along and fill in the void in that large market with more legitimate ways to make money.
    VengeSunsoar
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Gymrat313 said:
    Cutting the EU market would certainly be more costly than do changes to play under the regulations.

And as we see, things on the US are also moving against loot boxes so they are not getting any safe heaven there.
    SiugPhry
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I'm from the government and I'm here to help. This is going to end well.
    Phry
  • PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    This is going to put some serious dent in the mobile gaming profit.
    Well done EA, you've ruined it for everyone else. Good stuff.
    Phry
  • Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    I can not clearly consider this gambling unless there is a legit way to turn the items back into cash without breaching the tos of the game to do so.

I would consider it in the grey area if the high end rares in the box are so rare that they can not be achieved by purchasing a REASONABLE amount of boxes.  The value of reasonable is still left unclear.

If a game tells you odds of getting  each item and provides you the opportunity to  convert loot box items into tickets.   Then, you use X amount of tickets to purchase any items that you could normally get out of a box.  Then this defiantly not be gambling.  ( It would be nice if they disclosed the minimum number of boxes and total price if you converted the items to purchase the most expensive item, but this is unnecessary as long as odds were displayed.)
    BeansnBreadAeanderPhryYashaX
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited November 2017
    So is buying card packs like magic the gathering gambling also?
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I hope this kills the F2P model and brings back subs and B2P games. Oh that would be nice to have real games again. 
    Siug
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Archlyte said:
    I hope this kills the F2P model and brings back subs and B2P games. Oh that would be nice to have real games again. 

what makes you think B2P would survive?
    Iselin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Horusra said:
    Archlyte said:

In the context of the general gaming industry, what makes you think they wouldn't?

I could see it harming B2P in the MMORPG industry, but Archlyte's post doesn't seem to be focused on just MMORPGs.
    Gdemami

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited November 2017
    Horusra said:
    Archlyte said:

To answer your question, the history of B2P surviving without microtransactions in the past and current setting. B2P has been and is successful in many forms.

B2P, F2P, B2P with microtransactions, F2P with microtransactions and many other models will survive even if predatory models go the way of the dodo. However, predatory models will not go the way of the dodo. I only hope predatory models get extreme pushback so that they don't become the standard.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017

I could see it harming B2P in the MMORPG industry, but Archlyte's post doesn't seem to be focused on just MMORPGs.
    GW2 doesn't have loot boxes as far as I know and they make it work.

EDIT: Had a dumb moment there.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017

They have loot boxes now though, I think?  There were several threads here about an uproar over that.

B2P in general without microtransactions doesn't make much sense for an MMORPG.  It means the customers pay a one-time payment for an ongoing service.   How is that supposed to ever be sustainable in the longer term?

But at least maybe should this loot box = gambling thing progress further, this will keep the loot boxes out of non-MMORPGs.  Loot boxes are starting to seep into those (even offline games!)
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839

Black Lion Chests and Mount Adoption Licenses (albeit the latter is somewhat less toxic, as you cannot get duplicates).

Guild Wars 2 has certainly been a consumer friendly game overall (as it does not charge a subscription fee nor devolve into pay-to-win cash shop items), but it has had cosmetic loot boxes from the start, and that is just an unfortunate reality of the game.